BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-03 11:06:49 Reply

Late Carzola goal, my predictions are off a good start.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-03 21:48:15 Reply

I dunno if MLS falls into discussion here at any time but the Red Bulls are playing DC United in the first leg of the playoffs.

It's 1-1 now with both goals being Own Goals.

Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-04 10:27:27 Reply

I hate my predictions now, with passion!

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-04 10:39:45 Reply

Good bye, Mark Hughes. You should have seen that coming as soon as build up a team that is FULL of REJECTS from elite teams.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-04 10:55:19 Reply

At 11/4/12 10:27 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: I hate my predictions now, with passion!

I hate them too... this is the worst weekend I've had probably ever!

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-04 16:04:37 Reply

At 11/4/12 10:26 AM, Ejit wrote:
which would be my response to Gagsy's above ASSERTION that the Premier League is DEFINITELY the most competitive and unpredictable of the top few (and Inter finally beat Juve yesterday)). Malaga seem like a club worthy of semi-bandwagonisation, too.

But Inter are second in the league. It wasn't like Bologna finally ended Juventus' unbeaten run. It was a team who are as good as Juventus on their day. What is unpredictable about that really?

As for La Liga, Sid Lowe himself said he didn't believe it would end any other way than Barca and Real securing the top two spots once again, and he more the expert of that league. Not saying you shouldn't cheer on another team from that league, just saying that its even less competitive and predictable than our own.

Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-04 16:06:22 Reply

I forgot an un. But you knew that.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-05 07:34:59 Reply

At 10/28/12 03:42 AM, Gagsy wrote: Like to point out how after Celtics defeat to Barca most people were calling Celtic unlucky, brave, plucky for basically doing what we had to last year to succeed at Nou Camp, just not doing as good a job, and yet half of the people called Chelsea 'anti-football' at the time. If this isn't hypocrisy then someone will need to teach me what is.

The difference is, that for the wages the Celtic players recieve, the Chelsea players (and not only them, mind you) wouldn't even tie their shoes. Just look at how pathetic the scottish football is compared to the football played in the english premier league.

You will NEVER expect Celtic to win anything against Barca and it's clear right from the start, that their only hope lies in a strong defence and in a lucky goal. Comparing Celtic vs Barca on a national team level, it would be like Liechtenstein playing against Germany or England. You would never expect Liechtenstein to play great attacking football. But if Germany plays against England, you would expect a great match from both teams.

And it is very disappointing if you see a team that someone spent over a billion on to buy players can do nothing else than to completly park the bus. I mean, come on. There are only a handful of teams that can compete with Chelsea on a financial level, and yet all they can come up with is playing with 10 defenders?

This is why Chelsea was critizised for their style of play, while Celtic was called "unlucky" and "brave", even though they played a similar style.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-05 13:05:05 Reply

At 11/5/12 07:00 AM, Ejit wrote:
Man Utd being top of the league isn't exactly a turn up for the books either, after all. Nor City being undefeated. And it's already a 3-horse race for the title. It's difficult to see a team a relative equivalent of Montpellier winning the league.

The sad thing about United being top and City being undefeated still is that neither side deserves those stats. Both have been on rather poor form and yet somehow still cruise to the top. At least we can claim that we were playing well to get where we have this season so far. So yeah I agree that doesn't reflect well on the rest of the league if the Manchester teams being sub-par still don't lose to their opponent. Never used to be able to get away with having a bad day in our league.

Oh, I didn't mean Malaga would win anything and I wasn't commenting on that league, which is artificially imbalanced.

Fair enough. Thats all I wanted to know. Enjoy Malagas matches then.

At 11/5/12 07:34 AM, Haggard wrote:
The difference is, that for the wages the Celtic players recieve, the Chelsea players (and not only them, mind you) wouldn't even tie their shoes. Just look at how pathetic the scottish football is compared to the football played in the english premier league.

Celtic do have something that not many teams in the world can boost actually, or buy for all the money in the world and thats a dogged spirit. Don't think I'm using that as a excuse for Chelsea but you wouldn't believe how passionate and persistence that Scottish side can be and sometimes its the mentality that takes you beyond rather than talent alone.

You will NEVER expect Celtic to win anything against Barca and it's clear right from the start, that their only hope lies in a strong defence and in a lucky goal. Comparing Celtic vs Barca on a national team level, it would be like Liechtenstein playing against Germany or England. You would never expect Liechtenstein to play great attacking football. But if Germany plays against England, you would expect a great match from both teams.

And it is very disappointing if you see a team that someone spent over a billion on to buy players can do nothing else than to completly park the bus. I mean, come on. There are only a handful of teams that can compete with Chelsea on a financial level, and yet all they can come up with is playing with 10 defenders?
This is why Chelsea was critizised for their style of play, while Celtic was called "unlucky" and "brave", even though they played a similar style.

The thing is look at our track record playing Barcelona. Its not too shabby and only the last 2 games were of the 'playing the bus' route. We can play them back, we have done it before. We've lost to them that way, we've drawn to them that way and even won to them that way. So its not all Chelsea can come up with. At the time last season it was. Our team wasn't in the best state and we did what we had to, like most teams have to to try and get a result against Barca. Difference for us is that it actually worked.

Arsenal were the last English side besides us to meet Barca in the Champions League. Like us they got a win at home, unlike us they lost away. They couldn't muster a single shot on or off target and like us had to spend most of their possession clearing the ball and dealing with playing with 10 men for a lot of the match. Were they put down for their display? No, because they didn't win and/or because they aren't Chelsea.

Man United in the final 2011? Also swept away.

Both sides are up there with Chelsea for quality in the Premier League(sure they haven't spent as much, but money can't completely buy you success, especially not against the worlds elite), both sides also had to resort to defending to try and save themselves from an onslaught. Neither of them managed though.

Fact is, at one stage versus Barcelona in the Nou Camp Chelsea were 2-0 down and playing with 10 men. And we ended up not losing the game.

Are you telling me that you cannot find ANY merit in that?

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-05 17:56:54 Reply

At 11/3/12 10:12 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle
WBA 2-0 Soton

Phew, that saved my week.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-05 19:36:06 Reply

At 11/5/12 05:59 PM, Ejit wrote:
Yeah, overwhelmingly.

Really? If my memory serves, most of the reports were about Van Persies dismissal, the questioning unfairness of that decision and how that in turn led to Arsenals downfall. Don't recall anyone calling them 'anti football' for their display either way, or actually having a go at them.

This is a bit of a dated debate though I'm not sure why we're bothering.

You don't have to.

Its just we're always saying that we need more discussion here but rarely does anyone offer anything up. 90% of the time I want to talk about Chelsea because I happen to love Chelsea (you may not have noticed this). Liked them before I even liked football really. If I can drag a conversation up about our Champs League campaign last season than I will, especially as I do feel the team doesn't get nearly enough credit for winning the whole thing. You CAN accuse me of bias there I accept that, but I still think what I think.

Crikey, West Brom 5th.

At least 4th down to 20th is still an interesting watch.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-05 21:00:44 Reply

At 11/5/12 08:33 PM, Ejit wrote:
"0 shots" was used as a taunt for some while afterward

By rival fans who will sing about anything that they feel gives them a one up over the other side?

And I think youy know taunts by rival supporters wasn't what I was getting at.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-06 04:37:35 Reply

At 11/5/12 01:05 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 11/5/12 07:34 AM, Haggard wrote: The difference is, that for the wages the Celtic players recieve, the Chelsea players (and not only them, mind you) wouldn't even tie their shoes. Just look at how pathetic the scottish football is compared to the football played in the english premier league.
Celtic do have something that not many teams in the world can boost actually, or buy for all the money in the world and thats a dogged spirit. Don't think I'm using that as a excuse for Chelsea but you wouldn't believe how passionate and persistence that Scottish side can be and sometimes its the mentality that takes you beyond rather than talent alone.

Yeah, but how far has this "spirit" taken the scottish football lately? One UEFA Cup final in 2008. And now, the Rangers play in the Scottish Third League because of poor finances.

The thing is look at our track record playing Barcelona. Its not too shabby and only the last 2 games were of the 'playing the bus' route. We can play them back, we have done it before. We've lost to them that way, we've drawn to them that way and even won to them that way. So its not all Chelsea can come up with. At the time last season it was.

I was referring to last season. And it's even more disappointing to see a team that you know can play better than to just park the bus and leave it at that.

Were they put down for their display? No, because they didn't win and/or because they aren't Chelsea.

They wheren't because they tried everything to win this game and to play football. Unlike Chelsea, who just where out to completly destroy the game.

Both sides are up there with Chelsea for quality in the Premier League(sure they haven't spent as much, but money can't completely buy you success, especially not against the worlds elite)

But money CAN buy you success. Chelsea is the proof for that. Just compare the titles pre-Roman-money and post-Roman-money. ;)

I know, as a fan of Bayern Munich I should keep my mouth shut with talk like that. But the difference is, in Munich, there's no Glazer, no Abramovich and no Mansour. Instead, their money is the result of the chairmen doing their goddamn job right. To my knowledge, Bayern is the only big team in europe that is neither owned by some super rich investor, nor is in debt up to their ears.

Fact is, at one stage versus Barcelona in the Nou Camp Chelsea were 2-0 down and playing with 10 men. And we ended up not losing the game.

Are you telling me that you cannot find ANY merit in that?

I respect the Chelsea players for their discipline. Playing defensively like that is something you need a very high discipline for. But I cannot applaud them for the football they played last season (but I do applaud them for their comeback against Barcelona. Not many teams could've done that). Here, their financial power comes into play again. With a financial background like that, you would think they can come up with better players.

But maybe that's just wishful thinking, seeing how teams like Real Madrid and Barca are in debt up to the ears, and they still somehow manage to buy Ronaldo for 80 million pounds or pay outrageous wages for Messi. There's much to say about Chelsea, but at least one cannot say that they are in debt. ^^
Coming back to the Rangers here: Something like this could never happen in any other league. You have to take your hat off to the other clubs that they decided to relegate the Rangers to the Third League. In Germany teams like Schalke 04 and Borussia Dortmund didn't even get points deducted, even though their financial situation has been as poor...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Dialga12
Dialga12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-06 06:56:35 Reply

Hey guys good too see a Newgrounds Football/Soccer Club. But which team will win? I think it's ever Man United or Arsenal which will win . Who do who think is gonna win?

Dialga12
Dialga12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-06 07:10:48 Reply

Sorry for the double post but i forgot to ask to join the Newgrounds Football/Soccer Club

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-06 12:08:44 Reply

At 11/6/12 06:56 AM, Dialga12 wrote: Hey guys good too see a Newgrounds Football/Soccer Club. But which team will win? I think it's ever Man United or Arsenal which will win . Who do who think is gonna win?

Arsenal? Seriously? I can't see past one of City, United or Chelsea. Arsenal are in a fight for fourth with Spurs and Everton.

At 11/6/12 07:10 AM, Dialga12 wrote: Sorry for the double post but i forgot to ask to join the Newgrounds Football/Soccer Club

No need to join, this is just a place to chat about football. Just make sure your posts are relevant and contribute to/start conversation.

Speaking of topics of conversation...

What are your opinions on sending a player off for taking a free kick 'too early'? This was the fate that befell Plymouth this weekend as our midefielder was given a second yellow in the 8th minute for taking a free kick before the referee was 'ready'. As a consequence we lost against non-league opposition for the second year in succession.

Referees can be shit in the Prem. Try referees in the lower leagues! Some you wonder if they understand the rules at all!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Dialga12
Dialga12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-07 02:44:39 Reply

Hey Sentio yeah i do find it weird that the referee send off a player just because he was not ready for the free kick.And i thought that Arsenal was 1er or 2nd in the premier ligue.

DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-07 07:36:08 Reply

Caught the end of the Man City game last night after I finished work. Definite penalty right at the death and a real shame for City whose life in the Champions League is now hanging by a thread.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-07 11:50:26 Reply

At 11/7/12 07:36 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Caught the end of the Man City game last night after I finished work. Definite penalty right at the death and a real shame for City whose life in the Champions League is now hanging by a thread.

When your manager is Roberto "THE WEAK LINK" Mancini, you do NOT get the calls. Face it, he is never and will never will be a big stage manager, his CL record is pathetic.

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-07 16:12:01 Reply

English clubs and The Champions league... yeeaahh not so great. Also;

wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers wankers

Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-07 17:19:59 Reply

Great CL-Matchday for the german teams. No lost game. Schalke drawing against Arsenal, Dortmund drawing against Madrid (after beating them last match day!), Bayern winning 6(!)-1 against Lille (what a crappy team, I expected more from them).

And hooray for Celtic winning 2-1 against Barca!

Hopefully the german teams in the euro league can continue this nice international day.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-08 18:16:21 Reply

And this concludes a very successful international match day for the german sides.

Gladbach drawing at Marseille, Stuttgart FINALLY winning their first international match. Now they still have a good chance of advancing to the next round. Leverkusen with an undisputed victory against Vienna. And finally, Hannover with a very very lucky victory against Helsingborg.

Looking pretty good so far. It's time for a german side to finally win an international title again...

HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-09 16:26:03 Reply

Week 10 Results (05/11/12)

Rank // Correct Results // Perfect Scores // Weekly Points // Overall Points // Best Weekly Score // Name // Rank Change

01. // 4 // 0 // 04 // 076 // 13 // Sentio 0
02. // 2 // 2 // 06 // 072 // 12 // DannyIsOnFire 0
03. // 4 // 1 // 06 // 063 // 10 // HeartbreakHoldout 0
03. // 3 // 2 // 07 // 063 // 10 // Dream-of-Duke +1
05. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 047 // 09 // Gagsy 0
06. // 3 // 1 // 05 // 019 // 07 // Ejit 0
07. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 007 // 04 // Jonny 0
08. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 005 // 05 // LostFaceInTrain 0

Weekly Highest Score: 7 (Dream-of-Duke)
Highest Score all time: 13 (Sentio - Week 8)
Weekly average score: 5.60
Weekly average highest all time: 8.60 (Week 6)

Looking at that table above, you'd probably assume that Gagsy didn't submit predictions for last week, but you'd be wrong. I'm afraid she gets the dubious honour of not getting a single prediction right. It really is awful luck too, because she didn't go for any outlandish results, except maybe the Liverpool win. Fortunately, nobody else really had a very good week either, with Dream-of-Duke scoring the highest thanks to two perfect scores, bringing him level on points with myself.

I think we should all do better this week, there can't possibly be as many crazy results as last week, can there?

HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-09 19:24:24 Reply

It's weird doing these predictions first. How am I meant to know if my predictions are any good if I can't copy someone else?

Arsenal 2 - 1 Fulham
Everton 2 - 0 Sunderland
Reading 0 - 1 Norwich
Southampton 2 - 4 Swansea
Stoke 1 - 1 QPR
Wigan 1 - 1 West Brom
Aston Villa 1 - 3 Man U
Man City 2 - 2 Tottenham
Newcastle 2 - 1 West Ham
Chelsea 3 - 2 Liverpool

Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-10 01:01:09 Reply

Arsenal 1-0 Fulham
Everton 2-1 Sunderland
Reading 1-1 Norwich
Southampton 1-2 Swansea
Stoke 1-0 QPR (the end of Mark Hughes)
Wigan 2-2 WBA
Villa 0-3 Man U
Man City 2-1 Tottenham
Newcastle 2-0 West Ham
Chelsea 3-1 Liverpool

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-10 04:10:05 Reply

Well last week was a disgrace... and has really hurt me in my other prediction league. At least here we were all equally iincompetent!

Arsenal 2-1 Fulham
Everton 2-0 Sunderland
Reading 1-1 Norwich
Southampton 3-3 Swansea
Stoke 1-0 QPR
Wigan 1-1 WBA
Villa 0-3 Man U
Man City 3-2 Tottenham
Newcastle 2-1 West Ham
Chelsea 3-1 Liverpool

Another tricky week I fear. Lots of potentially tight games, and Southampton vs Swansea could be absolutely anything if they carry on defending as they have! Banker of the week is United thumping Villa.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2012-11-10 06:52:54 Reply

Hmmm....

Arsenal 2-0 Fulham