New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 3rd, 2007 @ 03:58 AM Reply

Sorry for the long absence (I've had my girlfriend here the last week and a half so not been on NG at all). Good to see you back Goth. Now a few comments on things that have happened in the last couple of weeks of football...

It's been a good period for Plymouth since my last post- a new manager at the helm (and one that knows the club after spending time there before, and who is capable of keeping up our push towards the top of the Championship). A few good wins (away to Sheffield United probably the best of them), and a loss to West Brom, which was no surprise, and currently 6th in the table, which will do nicely. Plus a winnable cup draw at home to Hull.

Even better, Exeter and Torquay lost in the cup (hehe) and Bristol City have slid a bit (though their win against Watford was very impressive).

Lots of speculation about the England job... I think the majority of people would like to see Mourinho take it. He has the charisma to get the best out of the players, a great tactical mind, he knows a chunk of the squad well (and indeed has been responsible for a few of them being in the England picture in the first place), and most importantly, he won't take any shit from the media (the sooner 'The Sun' burns in hell the better!). The only problem is whether he will take it (and it will be a brave man who does take the job on at the moment). This stuff about the FA putting forward a firm offer that he can then choose to accept or reject at will is dangerously like the last time we were looking for a manager, and the top choice turned it down. Once that has happened everyone knows they are looking at second and third choices, and few managers want to be that.

Having said that, if there is any chance of getting him in the England job, then go for it.

I like the idea of Capello as well. His only real flaw is his lack of English, but a good assistant (Shearer?) could solve that. In fact I think that would be a fantastic match, giving Shearer the experience needed for management in the future (which I have no doubt he will be great at), and an experienced and successful man at the helm.

And enough mention of British candidates- the only one that is good enough is O'Neill and he has made it quite clear he doesn't want it. Redknapp is now clearly out of the picture, Allardyce would be mad given how horrible Newcastle are at the moment (very reminiscent of that crap Boro side...), and nobody else really stands any hope against big names from abroad.

And for the love of God don't let 'The Sun' (or any other crap excuse for journalism) anywhere near them, we all know how that went before. They are as much to blame for the McClaren era as anyone (and yet the first to tear him apart in the press... funny that).

Some interesting allegations of match fixing in the press over the past few days, though by the sound of things nothing majorly significant. Could lead to a few punishments in Southern and Eastern Europe though, and it does bed the question just how common this kind of thing is (especially after all that nonsense in Italy). And of course Pompey are under investigation at the moment as well, though I doubt Redknapp had much to do with it. Would love to see Mandaric get caught up in it though, got a bit of resentment towards Leicester at the moment...

Finally (I type too much!), some really interesting groups for Euro 2008.

Group A:
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Portugal
Turkey

Group B:
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Group C:
Holland
Italy
Romania
France

Group D:
Greece
Sweden
Spain
Russia

The one that leaps out is group C, with 3 of the tournament favourites (including both World Cup finalists) and a very strong Romania side who qualified above Holland in their group. Group 4 should also be tight, and Turkey and Switzerland will be no walk over in group A for Portugal and the Czech Republic. The only weak group seems to be B (shockingly where the Germans are...), though I guess whichever group Austria were in was going to be weaker. Croatia will fancy their chances.

It should be a great tournament though, and it actually feels good to be able to watch it and not have to go through the living hell that is watching England screw up... again.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 3rd, 2007 @ 07:43 AM Reply

Thats why your captin Sen!

Heres the FA Cup Fixtures:

Tuesday, 11 December 2007
Barnet v Burton Albion, R2, 19:45
Chasetown v Port Vale, R2, 19:45
Luton v Nottm Forest, R2, 19:45
Southend v Oxford Utd, R2, 19:45
Swansea v Horsham, R2, 19:45
Walsall v Northampton, R2, 19:45

Saturday, 05 January 2008
Aston Villa v Man Utd, R3, 15:00
Barnsley v Blackpool, R3, 15:00
Blackburn v Coventry, R3, 15:00
Bolton v Sheff Utd, R3, 15:00
Brighton v Mansfield, R3, 15:00
Bristol City v Middlesbrough, R3, 15:00 - OMG!!
Burnley v Arsenal, R3, 15:00
Charlton v West Brom, R3, 15:00
Chelsea v QPR, R3, 15:00
Colchester v Peterborough, R3, 15:00
Derby v Sheff Wed, R3, 15:00
Everton v Oldham, R3, 15:00
Fulham v Bristol Rovers, R3, 15:00 - Yay Fullham!!
Horsham/Swansea v Havant and W, R3, 15:00
Huddersfield v Birmingham, R3, 15:00
Ipswich v Portsmouth, R3, 15:00
Luton/Nottm Forest v Liverpool, R3, 15:00
Northampton/Walsall v Millwall, R3, 15:00
Norwich v Bury, R3, 15:00
Oxford/Southend v Dag & Red, R3, 15:00
Plymouth v Hull, R3, 15:00 - (Hell)
Port Vale/Chasetown v Cardiff, R3, 15:00
Preston v Scunthorpe, R3, 15:00
Southampton v Leicester, R3, 15:00
Stoke v Newcastle, R3, 15:00
Sunderland v Wigan, R3, 15:00
Swindon v Burton Albion/Barnet, R3, 15:00
Tottenham v Reading, R3, 15:00
Tranmere v Hereford, R3, 15:00
Watford v Crystal Palace, R3, 15:00
West Ham v Man City, R3, 15:00
Wolverhampton v Cambridge Utd, R3, 15:00

Wednesday, 31 October 2007
Lewes v Grays Athletic, R4, 19:45

Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Solidone
Solidone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 3rd, 2007 @ 10:18 AM Reply

At 12/3/07 03:58 AM, Sentio wrote: Sorry for the long absence

Good to see you around.

Lots of speculation about the England job... I think the majority of people would like to see Mourinho take it. He has the charisma to get the best out of the players, a great tactical mind, he knows a chunk of the squad well (and indeed has been responsible for a few of them being in the England picture in the first place),

He is clearly the best candidate in my opinion. I would also like to see him do it as he has been such a success at club level, i want to see what he can do when he isn't with the players day to day.

Finally (I type too much!), some really interesting groups for Euro 2008.
Group C:
Holland
Italy
Romania
France

group of death.

I think they should take a good look at what way they draw the groups. Not that im complaining as group C matches will be outstanding to watch but i'd prefer to see france vs holland/italy ro something similar as a quarter or semi final rather than a group game.

It should be a great tournament though, and it actually feels good to be able to watch it and not have to go through the living hell that is watching England screw up... again.

haha. I've never had that problem being from Northern Ireland. But come 2010 i might have to worry about it. (hopefully)

Man United are playing fulham tonight, if we win we go back up to second in the league. should be an easy 3 points seeing as it's at old trafford.

BBS Signature
TheFrench
TheFrench
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 3rd, 2007 @ 10:50 AM Reply

lol France is in the group of death!! i hope we'll beat Italy...

does someone have seen Lyon-Strabourg (5-0) Incredible score!!!

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 3rd, 2007 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 12/3/07 10:18 AM, Solidone wrote:
Good to see you around.

He is clearly the best candidate in my opinion. I would also like to see him do it as he has been such a success at club level, i want to see what he can do when he isn't with the players day to day.

Agreed, it will be a very different challenge for him, but he has already proven that he can do it all at club level, both when provided with money (Chelsea) and without (Porto). My fear is the press will hound him out of it though- he won't want to be ridiculed like McClaren was for much of his time, or Sven before him (who has proven himself to be one hell of a manager both before and since the England job). With a manager of that stature and with so much success in the past he MUST be treated with respect- if we are failing, even with one of the best in the world at the helm, then all the blame must be on the players.

I think they should take a good look at what way they draw the groups. Not that im complaining as group C matches will be outstanding to watch but i'd prefer to see france vs holland/italy ro something similar as a quarter or semi final rather than a group game.

The only controversy is that the seedings were picked out before the World Cup (which would have elevated France to pot two and Italy to pot one most likely), other than that it is a fair reflection of how the teams have played and qualified in recent years. France have been very average between 2000 and last years world cup. And with the teams in the competition, each and every one of them is a strong side (with the possible exception of Austria)- just look at Greece last time around, nobody would ever have predicted that.

And of course the seedings were a bit odd as their are two hosting nations, both of who then automatically get a top seeding. With Greece as reigning champs (and therefore another automatic seeding spot) it meant a lot of the so called stronger/more fancied nations were in lower seedings. Personally I see nothing wrong with that- Greece earnt the right to be a top seed, and everyone wants the hosts to get a favourable draw as all tournaments lose a bit of their spark once they are out (just look at South Korea in 2002 as the perfect example of a home side making a tournament brilliant).

All in all it will make things very interesting right from the first game. Can't complain about that!

haha. I've never had that problem being from Northern Ireland. But come 2010 i might have to worry about it. (hopefully)

I've always supported the home nations whenever they are trying to qualify for tournaments- the more the merrier in my mind. I'm not sure Northern Ireland will make it to 2010, World Cup qualifying is tough with so few teams making it, but I see no reason why they can't be at Euro 2012, if they keep building like they have over the past couple of years. In your 2010 group I can't see you getting anything off the Czech side, one of the best sides in Europe for 10 years now, but you may be able to surprise Poland and sneak 2nd spot, and a playoff (which I'm sad to say you will probably lose as supposedly 'smaller' sides always get crap draws in these things). The future is definitely bright though, as it is for Scotland, and hopefully, with the right manager, England (we have one hell of an under 21 side at the moment- real potential for the future).

Man United are playing fulham tonight, if we win we go back up to second in the league. should be an easy 3 points seeing as it's at old trafford.

Easy enough, should have been more from what I saw. A nice easy patch for United at the moment, with Derby at home at the weekend (lol), and then a meaningless match against Roma where the youth team can get some experience. Should be well refreshed for the ever crucial Christmas schedule.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Solidone
Solidone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 4th, 2007 @ 10:03 AM Reply

At 12/3/07 07:01 PM, Sentio wrote: My fear is the press will hound him out of it though- he won't want to be ridiculed like McClaren was for much of his time, or Sven before him (who has proven himself to be one hell of a manager both before and since the England job).

I would like to think the press have slightly mroe respect for Jose than they maclaren. I hope.

In your 2010 group I can't see you getting anything off the Czech side, one of the best sides in Europe for 10 years now, but you may be able to surprise Poland and sneak 2nd spot, and a playoff

Yeah thats what I'm hoping for.

(which I'm sad to say you will probably lose as supposedly 'smaller' sides always get crap draws in these things). The future is definitely bright though, as it is for Scotland, and hopefully, with the right manager, England (we have one hell of an under 21 side at the moment- real potential for the future).

Yeah Scotland did really well. McFadden, the Everton striker scored some fantastic goals for them in the last qualifying campaign. The England U21s have some great players and i really like Stuart Pearce as a coach.

Easy enough, should have been more from what I saw. A nice easy patch for United at the moment, with Derby at home at the weekend (lol), and then a meaningless match against Roma where the youth team can get some experience. Should be well refreshed for the ever crucial Christmas schedule.

Yeah it should have been more than 2. Tevez missed a few chances and towards the end we could have scored a few simple tap ins but players were just being greedy and trying to go themselves.
I would like to see the likes of Johnny Evans and Danny Simpson get another run out against Roma. And Pique should be gien lots of games to persuade him to stay.

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 4th, 2007 @ 11:39 AM Reply

Waw, everythings happening.
FA cup to the Europian cup.
Plus England's crap rank bringing them to the top 12 so we will be in a group with a hard team ;(

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 4th, 2007 @ 01:12 PM Reply

Bristol City v Ipswich
Bristol City defender Jamie McAllister is available after suspension
The three substitutes from Saturday's win at Watford - Cole Skuse, Lee Trundle and Darren Byfield - are all pushing for starts.

Ipswich striker Alan Lee is a doubt after being forced to leave the field against Barnsley with illness.

Danny Haynes is on standby if Lee is not available while Jon Walters came through the full 90 minutes at the weekend unscathed after a groin injury.

I'm going to this game today!!
I'll tell ya how it went, this is out revenge after they beat us 6-0 away!

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
cookie-monsta1
cookie-monsta1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 5th, 2007 @ 01:15 PM Reply

At 12/5/07 12:44 PM, cookie-monsta1 wrote: SBA! fuck the baggies =D

Wanky-Wank!

¦

Revenge is sweet for City's boss.

Gary Johnson was delighted with Bristol City's victory over Ipswich
Bristol City manager Gary Johnson praised his side's character following their 2-0 win over Ipswich.
Goals from Marvin Elliott and Bradley Orr exacted revenge for City's 6-0 defeat at Ipswich last month.

"It's quite a turnaround in a few weeks and I'm proud of the lads for their first half performance," said Johnson.

"They didn't need any incentive after being beaten so heavily and right from the start there was a great level of commitment."

Johnson added: "Unfortunately, it was so intense that some legs went in the second half, but then we defended bravely and our goalkeeper did a great job.

"Overall, I'm thrilled with the performance and the fact that we have consolidated our position among the Championship leaders."

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Cigolini55
Cigolini55
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 7th, 2007 @ 09:13 PM Reply

Jeez i have missed so much! Finaly Sentio came back! Happy day. Though i have nothing to talk about atm, though all i know atm is Brasilian Club's that are currently playing so i have nothing to start talking about :(.

Though France and Italy does look like a good match to watch, since their in the "Death" division if thats what they call it now days. Can't wait to see it.

Though this time, i'm going for France to win. My prediction will be kind of off, for a couple of reasons. I think if France scores early before Italy does, then Italy won't recoperate with the early goals. Though i cant expect France offence to be very strong. I've been watching Italy for a couple of years and they have experinced this sort of thing! Though if all goes well for France, France can surprise them with a last minute goal ending the game supposably 3-1.

Now if France were to play the 1st half defensivily (sorry for the spelling) the game shall become bloody as anyone would predict since this shall become a death match! If Italy keeps presuring France, France will have to stay defensive, till they see that the Italins Offesncive strike weakens and then attack late in the 2nd half. Though if this would happen, France would remian defencive for too long and Italy might come with a win of 2-1.

As i said my predictions might be a little off or way but that what i think the game will come out. If both teams top players stay healthy and stay clean with no yellow cards it might turn out a well decent game for me to record. I'm half Italian but i do say I think France "may" win, but if Italy does its a win-win for me :)

Brawl Name: Enjo!-Friend Code:0817-3550-8192, Hoping to become NG Champ for Tourney :)---Sig done by Loogiesquared

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 7th, 2007 @ 09:56 PM Reply

At 12/7/07 09:13 PM, Cigolini55 wrote: Jeez i have missed so much! Finaly Sentio came back! Happy day. Though i have nothing to talk about atm, though all i know atm is Brasilian Club's that are currently playing so i have nothing to start talking about :(.

Though France and Italy does look like a good match to watch, since their in the "Death" division if thats what they call it now days. Can't wait to see it.

A bit early for predictions, but never mind, here goes anyway:

That is without doubt the 'Group of Death' as you say, although I think you are looking at the wrong sides really within that group. For me both Italy and France aren't as good as they have been in the past, and both rely heavily on an aging defence that will only get worse before next year (Italy especially). Neither side has an especially prolific forward line (though France really should with the likes of Henry, Ribery etc.). And therefore I can see it being 0-0, or at a push 1-1. Certainly a draw is the most likely outcome in my mind, with possibly an Italian win if there has to be a result (I really don't rate the French side at all at the moment).

But Holland are easily the strongest side in the group in my opinion, with a very strong forward line and an ability to score goals from anywhere. Plus their defence is pretty solid, and their side is young, with pace that will cause the Italians and French all kinds of problems. They should qualify top of the group, leaving one of the other three to go through second.

And Romania are far from a push over- they have one of the best defenders in the world in Chivu, and if Mutu etc can have some good games up front they may really be able to pull a surprise in that group. After all they did finish above Holland in their qualifying group.

So for me it will be Holland top, then Italy or Romania second, with France finishing bottom of the group, continuing their poor form in major tournaments since 2000 (last year excluded).

Yes, I do like to predict upsets, it's more fun that way and more satisfying when I am right :)

Plymouth v Bristol City tomorrow :S. I am far from confident...

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Cigolini55
Cigolini55
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 7th, 2007 @ 11:20 PM Reply

Agreed, though i do hope i see some goals from Henry. He's what killed Brazil in the Quarter-Finals in the 2006 Fifa World Cup. Bloody day for my country >.>.

Brawl Name: Enjo!-Friend Code:0817-3550-8192, Hoping to become NG Champ for Tourney :)---Sig done by Loogiesquared

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 8th, 2007 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 12/7/07 09:56 PM, Sentio wrote: Plymouth v Bristol City tomorrow :S. I am far from confident...

Nananananananana!

¦

Plymouth 1-1 Bristol City
A second-half own-goal from Plymouth's Krisztian Timar earned Bristol City a share of the points at Home Park.
The wet conditions made life difficult but Peter Halmosi and Paul Connolly went close for Argyle early on, while Jamie McCombe went close for City.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's penalty gave Plymouth the lead on 23 minutes after Louis Carey's foul inside the box.

Lee Trundle's arrival gave the visitors more of an edge, and they were rewarded when Timar headed into his own net.

Plymouth manager Paul Sturrock:
"I'm pleased with the attitude and the work-rate of the team but I'm disappointed with the way we sat back a bit in the second half.
"We looked tired in the second half and I feel four games in 10 days for a small number of players has had a draining effect.

"The pleasing thing was that we did not cave in after we gave away an own goal for them to equalise."

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson:
"It was a terrific game and credit must go to the referee, Paul Sturrock and of course myself!
"Alot of fans attended today and it would have been a shame to have it called off, so I'm glad it went ahead.

"We had some good chances, with Lee Trundle twice forcing saves from the man-of-the-match - their goalkeeper. But Plymouth had chances too."

Plymouth: Larrieu, Connolly, Timar, Seip, Hodges, Norris, Abdou, Nalis, Halmosi, Easter (Fallon 77), Ebanks-Blake (Chadwick 75).
Subs Not Used: McCormick, Doumbe, Gosling.

Booked: Nalis, Connolly.

Goals: Ebanks-Blake 23 pen.

Bristol City: Basso, Orr, Carey, McCombe, Fontaine, Sproule (Skuse 85), Elliott, Johnson, McIndoe, Noble (Trundle 46), Showunmi (Byfield 67).
Subs Not Used: Weale, McAllister.

Goals: Timar 71 og.

Attendance: 16,530

Refferee: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire (Premier League)).

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 9th, 2007 @ 11:07 AM Reply

Well its almost half the season, heres the tables (Soz the rest of the championship tables woulden't fit).

10 Southampton -5 30
11 Ipswich 6 29
12 Coventry -5 28
13 Sheff Utd 0 27
14 Hull -2 27
15 Crystal Palace -1 25
16 Sheff Wed -3 24
17 Cardiff -2 23
18 Blackpool -4 23
19 Scunthorpe -6 23
20 Leicester 2 22
21 Norwich -11 21

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 16th, 2007 @ 06:50 AM Reply

Bristol City 1-0 Cardiff
A second-half strike from Marvin Elliott sealed the Severnside derby after Steve Thompson's early red card.
The controversial sending off for the in-form Cardiff striker came after he made a 15th-minute tackle from behind.

The Bluebirds held on until the break despite long-range efforts from Lee Trundle, Bradley Orr and Lee Johnson.

But in the 57th minute Elliott rose from a melee to head home Lee Johnson's corner from close range, sending Bristol City third in the Championship.

Trundle - whose unhappy relationship with the Cardiff fans dominated the build-up to the game and who was baited mercilessly throughout - also claimed the goal, saying it had struck him on the way in.

Bristol manager Gary Johnson:
"Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition and I thought Cardiff reorganised well and closed us down quickly throughout the match.
"All I can say about the sending off is that Adriano has some big stud marks down the back of his calf, which swelled to twice its size by the interval.

"Of course, that can happen from a good tackle, but the referee had a good view of the incident. We had to substitute Adriano in the second half because of the challenge so it cost us too.

"It's another great result, even though we didn't play particularly well. We defended when we had to and that's all part of being a consistent side."

Cardiff manager Dave Jones:
"I have to be very careful what I say about referees, but I felt we were let down.
"I'll leave it to the assessor to deliver a verdict, but I believe the Thompson incident warranted a yellow card at most.

"The goalkeeper deliberately put his body between our player and the ball so there was bound to be contact between them.

"There were a couple of other big decisions that went against us, including an injury-time penalty appeal, which left us with nothing from a game in which we played very well."

Bristol City: Basso (Weale 66), Orr, Carey, McCombe, Fontaine, Sproule, Johnson, Elliott, McIndoe, Trundle (Noble 82), Showunmi.
Subs Not Used: Skuse, McAllister, Byfield.

Booked: Johnson, McCombe.

Goals: Elliott 57.

Cardiff: Schmeichel, Gunter, Loovens, Johnson, McNaughton (Fowler 89), Parry, Ledley, McPhail, Whittingham (Rae 60), Hasselbaink (MacLean 74), Thompson.
Subs Not Used: Oakes, Purse.

Sent Off: Thompson (15).

Booked: Loovens, Gunter, Ledley, Schmeichel.

Attendance: 15,753

Ref: Uriah Rennie (South Yorkshire).

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
cookie-monsta1
cookie-monsta1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 16th, 2007 @ 07:22 PM Reply

HURRAY FOR SISU CAPITAL! 20 MILL IN JANUARY =D

Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 17th, 2007 @ 04:39 AM Reply

At 12/16/07 07:22 PM, cookie-monsta1 wrote: HURRAY FOR SISU CAPITAL! 20 MILL IN JANUARY =D

Lol, what?

¦

Bristol City fans said after we got promotion to the Championship "Look at the league table at Christmas & we'll know if we're staying up" - Look at it now!!

This may also be helpful considering most people here support teams in the championship.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 17th, 2007 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 12/17/07 04:39 AM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote:
Bristol City fans said after we got promotion to the Championship "Look at the league table at Christmas & we'll know if we're staying up" - Look at it now!!
This may also be helpful considering most people here support teams in the championship.

Yup, it really is incredible how they have risen up the league this year having only just been promoted into it. I keep expecting them to start losing and slide back down a bit, but every time they slip up one week they are back to winning the next. Question: would you rather they were promoted this season, inevitably getting stuffed next year in the Prem all season and coming back down again (like Derby), or would you rather they just miss out, consolidate in the Championship for a year or two, gaining experience and players, and when they do get promoted in a year or two stand a chance of surviving in the Prem?

If they do go up I'd have to consider getting a season ticket at Ashton Gate, just to see a few Prem games on my doorstep (as I live in Bath most of the year). As it is I'm off to Palace-Argyle this weekend, and then Chelsea-Newcastle the weekend after (a yearly tradition where I go with my Dad and sister to the best Prem game in London that we can, as neutrals- though I will no doubt be cheering on Newcastle quietly from the Chelsea stands!)

From my standpoint, the Argyle have shown steady improvement in the Championship for a few years now, getting higher and higher league positions, and forming a squad that can fight and battle for victories (just look at the 1-0 win over Watford at the weekend for proof- vengeance for the FACup quarter final loss last year!). Their squad isn't quite good enough yet to survive in the Prem, so maybe one more year in the Championship would be good for them. Having said that who doesn't want to see their team in the Prem, even if they do lose every week? I bet Derby fans are still loving it, and the parachute payments they'll gain coming back down will be enough to strengthen and probably go back up and have a better chance of staying there.

Any comments on the Premiership title race at the moment? There is now quite a large gap between Arsenal and United, and Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool behind them.

1 Arsenal 17 20 40
2 Man Utd 17 22 39
3 Chelsea 17 14 34
4 Man City 17 5 33
5 Liverpool 16 17 30

Most people have considered it a 4 horse race, but credit to City for being right up there still this season. They won't win the title, but nice to have some different names near the top. To me Liverpool still don't have the consistency to challenge, though they will no doubt be close this year, and Chelsea aren't as strong as they have been in the past. They keep winning, but hardly dominate games, often scrapping out 1-0, 2-0 victories.

For me Man Utd are still favourites to win it, their win at Anfield yesterday just highlights their ability against the big sides (and they've already beaten Chelsea this year at OT, and drawn at The Emirates). They have the skill of Arsenal, but more of the physical strength needed in the Prem, and I don't see the Arsenal youngsters being able to keep it up all year (yes, I know Alan Hansen once said very similar and got it horribly wrong, but there wasn't a side as good as United to challenge that year!).

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 17th, 2007 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 12/17/07 08:24 AM, Sentio wrote: Question: would you rather they were promoted this season, inevitably getting stuffed next year in the Prem all season and coming back down again (like Derby), or would you rather they just miss out, consolidate in the Championship for a year or two, gaining experience and players, and when they do get promoted in a year or two stand a chance of surviving in the Prem?

I would like us to go to the Prem, mainly because of the money, then if we go down (which is likely) we'll have an extra 30M to build our side.

Go up this year, deffinetly.

If your sure your going to the Argyle Vs Bristol game then if you wait by the away gate I can meet up with you.

That is unless of course the Police are making a wall between us.

I'll be wearing a black hoody with A camo jacket over it & I have dyed black hair with a blond streek on the right hand side.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 18th, 2007 @ 05:44 AM Reply

So what you guys getting for Christmas?

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Cigolini55
Cigolini55
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 18th, 2007 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 12/18/07 05:44 AM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: So what you guys getting for Christmas?

A soccer ball. lol god im cheap.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 22nd, 2007 @ 01:32 PM Reply

Errr... an England rugby shirt, in time for the 6 nations... that's what happens when you live in a rugby town most of the year! (and Bath are sitting pretty at the top of the Guiness Premiership right now, so at least one team I support are doing well)

Speaking of which, I went to the Argyle game at Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace) today. I guess I should take pride in the fact that a few years ago this would have been a total mismatch, with Argyle a League 2 side, and Palace in the Premiership. Still, it was disappointing to see the greens lose, especially to two sloppy goals from crosses.

At least the second half display was much better, and Ebanks-Blake looked fantastic when he came on, a class above any other player on the pitch. Hayles was utter rubbish- too slow, too weak on the ball, and going down far too easily, but then few Plymouth fans think much of him. Sell him to Leicester in the transfer window if they want him :D (and apparently they do...). And Sawyer, the left back, was dreadful all game- almost none of his passes found green and yellow shirts... so some room for improvement in January!

Off to Chelsea v Newcastle next week (as a neutral), so hoping for lots of goals!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 23rd, 2007 @ 06:32 AM Reply

At 12/18/07 11:15 PM, Cigolini55 wrote:
A soccer ball. lol god im cheap.

Lol, What else?

At 12/22/07 01:32 PM, Sentio wrote:
Errr... an England rugby shirt, in time for the 6 nations...

Kewl, I'm getting a Bristol Rugby shirt & a pink PS2 with GTA SA.
& also GTA SA for the PC! FIFA 08 for the PS2 & some Tony Hawk game for the PS2.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 23rd, 2007 @ 02:36 PM Reply

Bristol City 3-2 Barnsley

This will be a featured match on Saturday's Score (1430 GMT on BBCi/online) and Final Score (1630, BBC ONE/online).

Substitute Darren Byfield's late goal gave Bristol City victory over Barnsley, who lost Jamal Campbell-Ryce to a second yellow after 54 minutes.
Byfield netted from 12 yards out after Marvin Elliott had headed Michael McIndoe's free-kick into his path.
It looked like the game was heading for a draw after Enoch Showunmi twice cancelled out Barnsley strikes.
Jonathan Macken scored from 25 yards out then Dennis Souza headed Brian Howard's corner into an empty net.

¦

Bristol City boss Gary Johnson:
"We are not going to get all big time and brag about what we might achieve in the second half of the season.
"But I'm certainly proud of my players and our club over how we have fared over the first 23 games.
"We need to maintain standards while keeping our feet firmly on the ground."

Barnsley boss Simon Davey:
"Our lad was clipped and it should have been a penalty.
"I'm flabbergasted by the performance of the officials. The referee was clearly intimidated by the home fans.
"I thought my team were magnificent. We stood strong against 12 men because the referee was certainly on their side."

¦

Bristol City Players (Used): Basso, Orr, Carey, McCombe (McAllister 70), Fontaine, Sproule (Byfield 85), Johnson, Elliott, McIndoe, Trundle (Skuse 90), Showunmi.
Subs Not Used: Weale, Noble.
Booked: McCombe, Fontaine, Byfield.
Goals: Showunmi 35, 45, Byfield 90.

Barnsley Players (Used): Muller, Nyatanga, Foster, Souza, Van Homoet, Campbell-Ryce, De Silva, Howard, Devaney (Togwell 74), Ferenczi (Odejayi 65), Macken.
Subs Not Used: Hassell, Mostto, McCann.
Sent Off: Campbell-Ryce (54).
Booked: Ferenczi, Devaney, Campbell-Ryce, Howard.
Goals: Macken 33, Souza 40.

Bristol City's crowd: 16,588

Ref: Keith Hill (Hertfordshire).

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 23rd, 2007 @ 02:57 PM Reply

Off to Chelsea v Newcastle next week (as a neutral), so hoping for lots of goals!

With no Drogba for Chelsea and Chelsea's still great defense (even in the absence of Terry), you'll be very lucky Rob =3

Also, support Chelsea then, for me! <=D

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 23rd, 2007 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 12/23/07 02:57 PM, Gagsy wrote:
With no Drogba for Chelsea and Chelsea's still great defense (even in the absence of Terry), you'll be very lucky Rob =3

Wow, what brings you around these parts? Here was me thinking you didn't frequent C&C too often... Would be nice if you popped in now and then though, we don't have many Prem team supporters!

Also I think you seriously underestimate the crapiness of the Newcastle defence... if Derby can put two past them then Lampard, Cole, Sheva etc should have a field day! Plus Newcastle just love to attack, so I can see them nicking at least one in return... hoping for a crazy 5-2 or something!

Also, support Chelsea then, for me! <=D

In the Chelsea stands, and I don't have so much of a death wish that I'd support Newcastle! Last time I went to the bridge I wore some cheap footie shirt from M&S or something that happened to be a perfect replica of the Blackburn away strip... never again, I'll be wearing blue this time!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Randominator
Randominator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 23rd, 2007 @ 07:28 PM Reply

Anyone got Football Manager 2008? I'm currently trying to take MK Dons to the Premier League (started in League 2) and its a struggle =p

down on the upside

Conal
Conal
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 24th, 2007 @ 06:42 AM Reply

I'm going to leave NG for Christmas.
Happy holidays!
Love GOTHCLAWZ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Dec. 27th, 2007 @ 06:59 AM Reply

At 12/23/07 07:02 PM, Sentio wrote:
Wow, what brings you around these parts? Here was me thinking you didn't frequent C&C too often... Would be nice if you popped in now and then though, we don't have many Prem team supporters!

I've been checking out a few Clubs recently, and I have noticed this one before and read a few posts and well when I hear something about Chelsea, I just have to get involved =P But I support Chelsea, I'll get flailed alive in here, surely! =O

Also I think you seriously underestimate the crapiness of the Newcastle defence... if Derby can put two past them then Lampard, Cole, Sheva etc should have a field day! Plus Newcastle just love to attack, so I can see them nicking at least one in return... hoping for a crazy 5-2 or something!

Well, I hope for a lot of goals in the Newcastle net of course.. Don't want to see 4 get past us like yesterday.. Cracking game though, shame you didn't get tickets to that one =P

In the Chelsea stands, and I don't have so much of a death wish that I'd support Newcastle! Last time I went to the bridge I wore some cheap footie shirt from M&S or something that happened to be a perfect replica of the Blackburn away strip... never again, I'll be wearing blue this time!

Support them, come on it'll only be for 90 minutes! Give in to temptation and support a REAL football team for a change! o=)

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature