Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-01 12:09:41 Reply

At 10/1/11 04:47 AM, Sentio wrote:
Hard week for predictions, especially with two derbies going on...
Very tough, almost all of the games should be tight, with United Norwich being the probable exception.

My mistake, it was easier than I thought!

It is still looking like a fight between the two Manchester sides, though United seem a lot loss convincing all of a sudden. Newcastle will plummet as soon as they play a decent side, which they haven't yet this season.

And Plymouth return to their losing ways, though no shock in losing 2-0 to 'the Man City' of lower league football Crawley Town. Strange for my team to be playing the side I grew up closest to. And a shame they couldn't pull off a shock as a late birthday present for me. I guess hoping for miracles was asking a lot!

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-01 12:50:56 Reply

At 10/1/11 12:09 PM, Sentio wrote: My mistake, it was easier than I thought!

I thought that Everton could upset Liverpool at home. Apparently, Rodwell's red card was the turning point of the game.

It is still looking like a fight between the two Manchester sides, though United seem a lot loss convincing all of a sudden. Newcastle will plummet as soon as they play a decent side, which they haven't yet this season.

Newcastle are a decent side, I can see them having a good season and finishing 6th/7th.

And Plymouth return to their losing ways, though no shock in losing 2-0 to 'the Man City' of lower league football Crawley Town. Strange for my team to be playing the side I grew up closest to. And a shame they couldn't pull off a shock as a late birthday present for me. I guess hoping for miracles was asking a lot!

Seriously, why hasn't Ridsdale banned for running football clubs is truly beyond me. The guy ruins everything that he touches.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-01 13:17:20 Reply

At 10/1/11 12:50 PM, Dream-of-Duke wrote:
I thought that Everton could upset Liverpool at home. Apparently, Rodwell's red card was the turning point of the game.

Apparently a controversial one at that- I was listening on the radio and they seemed convinced that he got the ball and then the man, and that the challenge wasn't that severe. No surprise Liverpool eventually won, but they seem to be struggling to break sides down now after a strong start to the season.

Newcastle are a decent side, I can see them having a good season and finishing 6th/7th.

I'd say 8th/9th/10th is more realistic, they really have had an easy run of games so far this season. The top 6 is pretty much certain to be the usual suspects, with only Arsenal in threat, and Villa look a good bet for 7th. Pretty much the rest of the league have a shot at 8th with a run of form and a bit of luck with injuries.

Seriously, why hasn't Ridsdale banned for running football clubs is truly beyond me. The guy ruins everything that he touches.

While I agree that the man is a parasite, he can't take much blame for what happened at Plymouth. The previous owners are the ones that destroyed us, and then that was confirmed by the appalling work of administrator Brendan Guilfoyle and 'preferred bidder' Heaney. We would have been out of this mess at the end of last season if not for those two, and with a new owner in with a shot of the playoffs this year rather than another relegation battle. Ridsdale has done nothing whatsoever to help the situation, and has bled off what money he can, but he is far from the reason we have ended up at the bottom of league 2, rather he is taking advantage of the work of others.

I should also add a thank you for your improved posting habits- I'm pleased that you have taken my concerns on board with such good grace.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-02 11:50:07 Reply

Call me crazy, but I think that Newcastle will finish the season ahead of Arsenal.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-02 12:56:08 Reply

At 10/1/11 01:31 PM, Ejit wrote:
Newcastle do look a good side even on paper though, their recent transfer policy has been astonishingly good, but for the sacking of Hughton perhaps. Bringing in Marveux, Cabaye, Ba and Santon among others at reasonable prices and somehow getting 35m for Carroll whilst also getting rid of Nolan and Barton; they've almost gone from being a Stoke like side to beating Arsenal at their own game. They need to get rid of Adam Smith though.
I said at the start of the season they'd at least challenge for 5th, and I think they will if Arsenal and Liverpool remain unconvincing.

Good signings, but I think the loss of both of their top scorers in the last 6 months (Carroll and Nolan) will be too big a loss. Ba has impressed, but he really is the only striking option they have, and against a good side they will struggle to score. As it is I am surprised they are putting so many away against the poorer sides in the league, and I just don't see them being able to do that all season. We shall see when the season ends!

As for today, I find it funny that not a single one of us predicted a Fulham win, and then they have gone and scored 6! And I really should stop thinking Stoke can do anything on European weeks; that is two poor defeats now following Europa games, when they have looked impressive without that distraction.

Also looking at the team sheets this is the first time I can remember that Spurs have had a better side than Arsenal. No surprise they are leading with minutes to go.

Prediction table should be this evening if I can find time...

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-02 13:28:01 Reply

NGFC Prediction league: Match week 5

Rank // Correct Results // Perfect Scores // Weekly points // Overall points // Name // Rank Change

01. // 8 // 2 // 12 // 40 // Sentio 0
02. // 7 // 1 // 09 // 37 // Ledgey -1
03. // 7 // 2 // 11 // 36 // Ejit 0
04. // 5 // 1 // 07 // 32 // HeartbreakHoldout -1
04. // 7 // 2 // 11 // 32 // DannyIsOnFire +2
06. // 6 // 0 // 06 // 30 // Gagsy -1
07. // 5 // 1 // 07 // 25 // Dream-of-Duke 0
08. // 5 // 0 // 05 // 22 // CharltonChinchilla 0
09. // 7 // 2 // 11 // 20 // ChrisLovejoy +1
10. // 5 // 0 // 05 // 19 // Jonny -1
11. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 08 // Tummbumm 0

Weekly Highest Score: Sentio (12) close!
Highest Score all time: Ejit (13)
Weekly average score: 8.4 (New Record!)
Worst prediction: Fulham vs QPR (0 points!)

Having said it was a tough week to predict, we broke the previous weekly average record comfortably! Lots of perfect scores, most notably Villa against Wigan, helped the total and made up for the Fulham anomaly!

ChrisLovejoy and DannyIsOnFire making a move lower down the table, and I can assure both of you that I will not be able to predict every week of the season, as I am sure will be true of others, so any lost points in the opening weeks will soon be made back up.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-03 03:51:22 Reply

At 10/2/11 01:28 PM, Sentio wrote: 09. // 7 // 2 // 11 // 20 // ChrisLovejoy +1

I should point out that I'm Tummbumm.

­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いて­いる
­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­      ­ やりまん

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-03 04:35:31 Reply

I've got my eye on that highest weekly score. Watch out Ejit!

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-03 10:21:20 Reply

At 10/3/11 08:34 AM, Ejit wrote: Thx Sentio.

Spurs have quite emphatically beaten Liverpool and Arsenal in a row, who are the other challengers for 4th? :) :)

Fulham were fantastic, slightly surprised Andy Johnson didn't get an England call up too.

I still think that Liverpool will edge Tottenham for the last CL spot.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-03 12:23:44 Reply

At 10/3/11 03:51 AM, ChrisLovejoy wrote:
At 10/2/11 01:28 PM, Sentio wrote: 09. // 7 // 2 // 11 // 20 // ChrisLovejoy +1
I should point out that I'm Tummbumm.

You know I thought you might be, but I wasn't sure. I'll add the scores together for the next update!

At 10/3/11 04:35 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: I've got my eye on that highest weekly score. Watch out Ejit!

You aren't the only one, but 13 is a tough total to beat!

At 10/3/11 08:34 AM, Ejit wrote: Thx Sentio.

Spurs have quite emphatically beaten Liverpool and Arsenal in a row, who are the other challengers for 4th? :) :)

Fulham were fantastic, slightly surprised Andy Johnson didn't get an England call up too.

Spurs are looking very good indeed. Losses to United and City were a poor start, but they look a good bet for 3rd or 4th currently. I'd rather have Zamora, just because he was a legend back in his Brighton days and I can't quite believe he is now in the England side! Great player too.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-04 11:44:39 Reply

All of us know in our hearts that England will not win any major trophy until the WAGS and all the drama fuck off. Are the English players talented enough to win big matches? Yes. Are they organized enough to win big matches? No. A lot of English players are more concerned with who they will spend the night with than how they play on the field. If England is half as organized as Germany, they would have won the WC at least 5 times.

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-05 16:40:03 Reply

Lost 3-0 to Brentford in the.. wait for it. The Johnstones Paint Trophy. I'm heartbroken I can't die a happy man knowing Charlton wont get to the final of a paint trophy :(((((((((((

Lol JK we're out the paint, who gives a fuck? We're super Charlton and we're going up!

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-06 05:04:09 Reply

At 10/5/11 04:40 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote: Lost 3-0 to Brentford in the.. wait for it. The Johnstones Paint Trophy. I'm heartbroken I can't die a happy man knowing Charlton wont get to the final of a paint trophy :(((((((((((

Lol JK we're out the paint, who gives a fuck? We're super Charlton and we're going up!

That probably means that your boys will end another season without any trophy. I can see Huddersfield taking the L1 crown with your Charlton finishing 2nd.

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-06 18:27:28 Reply

At 10/6/11 05:04 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote:
That probably means that your boys will end another season without any trophy. I can see Huddersfield taking the L1 crown with your Charlton finishing 2nd.

I'd take that aaaalll day long, you know how awful this league is, fucking abysmal.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-07 05:28:25 Reply

At 10/6/11 06:27 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote:
At 10/6/11 05:04 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote:
I'd take that aaaalll day long, you know how awful this league is, fucking abysmal.

I wouldn't underestimate the strength of the L1 near the top. After all, it took my Whites three seasons to get out of it. Ok, we'd have been up in the first season if the -15 points penalty was not implied, but still...
Huddersfield should have promoted last season and they've kept pretty much everybody this season, so they should be one of the favourites to win promotion this season.
Phil Brown, who took Hull to the PL and kept them there for one season is arguably the best manager in the division. Even in their relegation season last year, they did not do badly since PB took over, and the majority of that team are still there, so they should be a hot pick for promotion as well.
Sheffield Wednesday are very tough at home this season, if they can improve their away form, they will challenge the top 2 as well.
Let two of these three teams finish above your Charlton and they are in the playoffs in which a bad game will undo all the hard work throughout the season.

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-07 10:07:30 Reply

Pub in a few hours to watch England cruise through the group stage.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-07 11:47:58 Reply

At 10/7/11 10:07 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Pub in a few hours to watch England cruise through the group stage.

The bottom line is GROUP STAGE. I highly doubt that England will cruise in the Euro 2012 with Capello in charge.
Nothing against Capello who is a good manager, but he is just not tough enough to manage a drama-filled national team like England.

BBS Signature
Ledgey
Ledgey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-07 11:53:47 Reply

Nothing against Capello who is a good manager, but he is just not tough enough to manage a drama-filled national team like England.

I don't think any manager could successfully manage the current England squad.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature
Ledgey
Ledgey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-07 22:41:52 Reply

I don't think any manager could successfully manage the current England squad.
Jamie Redknapp thinks we need an English manager

I hear that a lot and I don't get it, people just assume that the manager being English will make everything better but what about McClaren? He's not such a bad manager (dare I say he's very good) but he did terribly for England. I think for the past 10 or so years England have been unmanageable. England have a new batch of players coming through so perhaps there can be some progress, but who knows.

I do think however they need a new manager, regardless of whether or not they're English.

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-08 00:59:35 Reply

The only manager who has a chance of turning the current England team around is Jose Mourinho. But he is too smart to be on that hot seat.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-08 08:43:48 Reply

Bleh, England are still pants then. And that is football and rugby. It's just as well we have remembered how to play cricket!

Interesting line up on football focus suggested by Martin Keown for the first match next Summer:

Hart
Walker- Terry- Ferdinand- Cole
Walcott- Wilshere- Gerrard- Downing
Bent- Young

(obviously with Rooney suspended).

I'd rather see:

Hart
Smalling- Jones- Cahill- Baines
Young- Cleverly- Wilshere- Walcott/Downing depending on form/fitness
Welbeck- Any striker in form (Johnson/Zamora/Bent/Sturridge... anyone!) ( Rooney when available)

Out with the old and in with the new- the above could form a solid team for 10 years, and it is an eternity since we have a had a constant '1st XI'. Obviously there is room for new blood to come in should they shine this season (Albrighton on one of the wings perhaps?). That is also a side packed with pace and more creativity than we have had for years, something we will need if we are to get anywhere next year. Possibly frail at the back, but at least we won't get skinned alive by any player who can jog past Terry, Ferdinand and Cole like the Germans did at the world cup. And there is room for tactical manoeuvre with Parker on the bench if needed.

Thoughts?

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-08 17:06:55 Reply

At 10/8/11 03:10 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 10/8/11 08:43 AM, Sentio wrote:
Provided it has to be a 4-4-2:

I was thinking the front players would probably be flexible between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2.

...............................Hart
.....Walker - Jones - Terry - Baines
Young - Wilshere - Gerrard - Johnson
.............Sturridge - Agbonlahor

Good balance of experience and youth and of creativity and pace/technical ability imo. I don't see any real weaknesses in that team.

My argument would be experience of what? Gerrard and Terry have years of experience of being on losing teams in major tournaments, and for me neither one of them is better at this moment than their possible replacements. I'd rather see us risk a young lineup in much the way the German's have done in recent years, and possibly crash out early, but know that in 2/4/6 years we will have a settled team with an actual chance of winning something. Rather than sticking with the same players that are now past their best and been proven not good enough on an international stage over and over again.

Where I do agree with your changes is the addition of Johnson on the wing, but that is dependent on regular games at City that I fear he won't get.

To be honest I'm not to bothered about leaving Rooney out of a starting lineup. The mentality of "oh god a good player is out we're ruined" has always seemed quite detrimental to the national team - both when the player is available and when he's back fit.

Ditto, but when available he would have to come in simply because our other striking options are so limited. Agbonlahor is a good possible shout, though I am banking on Sturridge or Welbeck having a break out season this year and forcing themselves in.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-09 11:48:41 Reply

Just play the kids, players like Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerrad weren't good enough for England in their prime, they will be more rubbish than they are in the Euro 2012 as they become older.

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-11 15:53:48 Reply

Lol Scotland, dirty sweaters.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-12 11:09:29 Reply

I love this guy.

Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-12 11:45:21 Reply

lol, Portugal.

BBS Signature
Ledgey
Ledgey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-12 12:25:53 Reply

At 10/12/11 11:09 AM, Gagsy wrote: I love this guy.

Hahahahaha, I remember the Busquets one he did... classic.

Also I find it funny how the FA considers Rooney kicking out at someone to be less of an offence than Rooney swearing...

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-12 16:35:27 Reply

At 10/12/11 12:25 PM, Ledgey wrote:
Also I find it funny how the FA considers Rooney kicking out at someone to be less of an offence than Rooney swearing...

I think thats right personally. I mean, swearing at the cameras isn't really on (even though as a Chelsea fan I still think Drogba was right to for his little stint). Aggression happens in football, it's understandable more when a player kicks out (practically part of the game) than a player going up to camera and swearing loudly into it looking like he's about to bite someones head off. Probably to do with the whole watershed business really. The FA maybe got to show they won't stand for a player behaving that way on television.

Hahahahaha, I remember the Busquets one he did... classic.

I've probably seen it. My faves are usually any involving Wenger really. This is great though.

Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-13 08:23:36 Reply

Liverpool 1 v 1 Man Utd
Man City 2 v 0 Aston Villa
Norwich 2 v 2 Swansea
QPR 3 v 0 Blackburn
Stoke 1 v 0 Fulham
Wigan 1 v 2 Bolton
Chelsea 2 v 1 Everton
West Brom 0 v 0 Wolverhampton
Arsenal 1 v 0 Sunderland
Newcastle 0 v 1 Tottenham

­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いて­いる
­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­      ­ やりまん

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc 2011-10-13 11:29:43 Reply

Liverpool 2 v 1 Man Utd
Man City 2 v 0 Aston Villa
Norwich 2 v 0 Swansea
QPR 2 v 2 Blackburn