New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 10th, 2013 @ 01:07 PM Reply

I can't believe there is even a debate about having a minutes silence for Thatcher this weekend. Given that football fans traditionally represent the lower classes, the people most damaged by Thatcher, it will be an utter farce. Part of me wants to see thousands of people protest simply for the spectacle, but it certainly won't be the mark of respect intended.

Meanwhile, one more win for the mighty green army should be enough for another season in the football league. We've been showing promotion form since Sheridan took over in February- promising signs for next season.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 01:28 PM Reply

Here we go again. Once again I'll take the plunge first and let you in on why I'm making the picks along with the scores. Clearly telling you why I'm picking things is enough for you not to follow along with my madness, and after another good week long may that continue.

Arsenal 3-0 Norwich

Banker of the week on talksport after Liverpool sabotaged my season last week. Should be an easy home win, especially with Walcott and Wilshere back from injury

Villa 2-1 Fulham

As ever, Fulham suck away from home, while Villa have turned the corner and are pulling away from danger at pace. Benteke is single handedly scoring points for my fantasy league team every week.

Everton 2-1 QPR

All the fight in the world isn't saving QPR now, and Everton are still pushing for Europe. Can't see past a home win, though it will likely be close as Everton struggle to score.

Reading 1-2 Liverpool

Reading are even more dead in the water than QPR, while Liverpool are maddeningly inconsistent. I can't see them screwing up twice in a row though.

Southampton 2-1 West Ham

Southampton are looking like the new Swansea with their Spanish manager, playing fast attacking football. Close matchup, so backing the home side. Both will be delighted with a likely midtable finish.

Newcastle 1-0 Sunderland

This will swing on how many players see red, and the Di Canio effect. Newcastle will be tired after a hard faught tie against Benfica, but on paper are the far superior side. Should sneak a win, but could go either way. Sunderland certainly need a result desperately.

Stoke 0-2 Man United.

I stopped predicting against United months ago. Equally I stopped predicting for Stoke around the same time.

Extra special midweek bonus games, or I'll forget later in the week!

Arsenal 3-1 Everton

With Walcott and Wilshere Arsenal are a decent side, and should be too much for Everton at home. Could be a great game.

Man City 4-0 Wigan

Wigan. Could be brilliant and steal a famous win. More likely they will be destroyed by a City side who have remembered how to win 4 months too late.

West ham 1-2 Man United

See the comment about United above.

Fulham 2-2 Chelsea

Chelsea must be exhausted by now, and Fulham may be pants away from home, but are formidable at home. Tough to call, but plumping for a rare draw this week.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 12th, 2013 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 4/12/13 01:28 PM, Sentio wrote: Here we go again. Once again I'll take the plunge first and let you in on why I'm making the picks along with the scores. Clearly telling you why I'm picking things is enough for you not to follow along with my madness, and after another good week long may that continue.

And a good week it was!

Week 32 Results (08/04/13)

Rank // Correct Results // Perfect Scores // Weekly Points // Overall Points // Best Weekly Score // 5 Week Average // Name // Rank Change

01. // 6 // 2 // 10 // 217 // 13 // 7.2 // Dream-of-Duke +1
02. // 6 // 3 // 12 // 216 // 13 // 8.6 // Sentio +1
03. // 3 // 0 // 03 // 213 // 12 // 5.2 // DannyIsOnFire -2
04. // 4 // 1 // 06 // 175 // 10 // 5.2 // HeartbreakHoldout 0
05. // 5 // 2 // 09 // 158 // 13 // 7.4 // Gagsy 0
06. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 105 // 13 // 0.0 // Ejit 0
07. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 019 // 10 // 0.0 // tyler2513 0
08. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 007 // 04 // 0.0 // Jonny 0
09. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 006 // 06 // 0.0 // MCFC 0
10. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 005 // 05 // 0.0 // LostFaceInTrain 0

Weekly Highest Score: 12 (Sentio)
Highest Score all time: 13 (Sentio - Week 8, Dream-Of-Duke & Ejit - Week 14, Gagsy - Week 23)
Weekly average score: 8.00
Weekly average highest all time: 8.80 (Week 14 & 17)

It's all change at the top! After an extremely disappointing score of 3, Danny falls to third, whilst DoD moves up to first, and Sentio, with a great score of 12, moves into second, and only one point from the top. Gagsy gains three points on me, but I gain three points on Danny, leaving me only 38 points from third, so I'm not too unhappy.

Can Danny regain his form and take back the top spot, or will Sentio continue his inevitable march to the title? Or can DoD shock the world and knock off our two perennial challengers?

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 03:21 AM Reply

At 4/12/13 01:28 PM, Sentio wrote: Here we go again. Once again I'll take the plunge first and let you in on why I'm making the picks along with the scores. Clearly telling you why I'm picking things is enough for you not to follow along with my madness, and after another good week long may that continue.

We all wait and see what you think before chopping and changing out own predictions! Honestly I like the little blurbs you add now. I'd do the same myself but I still maintain that I just wing it, this whole predicting thing.

Arsenal 4-1 Norwich
Aston Villa 1-1 Fulham
Everton 2- 0 QPR
Reading 0-3 Liverpool
Southampton 2-1 West Ham
Newcastle 0-0 Sunderland
Stoke 0-2 Man United.
Arsenal 2- 0 Everton
Man City 3-1 Wigan
West ham 1-1 Man United
Fulham 1-2 Chelsea

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 04:15 AM Reply

Arsenal 2 - 0 Norwich
Aston Villa 2 - 2 Fulham
Everton 2 - 1 QPR
Reading 1 - 3 Liverpool
Southampton 1 - 1 West Ham
Newcastle 2 - 1 Sunderland
Stoke 0 - 3 Man United
Arsenal 2 - 2 Everton
Man City 4 - 2 Wigan
West ham 0 - 1 Man United
Fulham 2 - 1 Chelsea

DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 06:43 AM Reply

It would seem I need a good week, or seven good weeks to be exact.

Arsenal 3-0 Norwich
Aston Villa 2-1 Fulham
Everton 2- 0 QPR
Reading 0-2 Liverpool
Southampton 2-1 West Ham
Newcastle 2-0 Sunderland
Stoke 1-3 Man United.
Arsenal 2-1 Everton
Man City 3-0 Wigan
West Ham 0-2 Man United
Fulham 1-2 Chelsea

However, I'd take 0 points right now as long as Newcastle beat Sunderland. Watched the game on Thursday and after Cisse's goal in the 70th minute, I genuinely thought we'd go on to nick it. Was close to tears at the end, something that hasn't happened since we were relegated.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 09:49 AM Reply

At 4/13/13 04:15 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Arsenal 2 - 0 Norwich
Aston Villa 2 - 2 Fulham
Everton 2 - 1 QPR
Reading 1 - 3 Liverpool
Southampton 1 - 1 West Ham
Newcastle 2 - 1 Sunderland
Stoke 0 - 3 Man United
Arsenal 2 - 2 Everton
Man City 4 - 2 Wigan
West ham 0 - 1 Man United
Fulham 2 - 1 Chelsea

Arsenal 2-0 Leeds B
Villa 2-1 Fulham
Everton 1-0 QPR
Reading 1-3 Liverpool
Southampton 2-1 West Ham
Newcastle 3-2 Sunderland
Man City 2-0 Wigan
Stoke 0-2 Man U
Arsenal 2-1 Everton
West Ham 1-2 Man U
Fulham 1-1 Chelsea

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 13th, 2013 @ 06:14 PM Reply

Partick Thistle wins 2:1 at Airdrie United. Morton loses 0:1 against Dunfermline. Holy Cow, only one more point for Thistle, and they win the League! This is too good to be true...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 14th, 2013 @ 09:04 PM Reply

That should have been the final today.

Congratulations on winning the FA Cup on 11th May Man City.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 15th, 2013 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 4/14/13 09:04 PM, Gagsy wrote: That should have been the final today.

Wigan are at least somewhat capable of causing an upset, unlike Bradford in the League Cup final. Still, City are heavy favourites.

And that result cements a pretty horrible week for most of the regulars of this thread. Argyle lost in the 4th minute of three minutes of injury time (with our best player recalled to Palace from his loan, and our second best out for 6 months injured...), Chelsea lose in the cup, and Newcastle disintegrate against their greatest rivals.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
TracyJacksonTAW
TracyJacksonTAW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 15th, 2013 @ 04:16 PM Reply

here's hoping Chelsea end the season on a good not...that loss to City was not good.

TracyJackson
The Art of Warfare gaming community Member
Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 4/15/13 04:16 PM, TracyJacksonTAW wrote: here's hoping Chelsea end the season on a good not...that loss to City was not good.

Even JoMo won't save your lots next season --- too many deadwoods for any manager to clear.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 17th, 2013 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 4/14/13 09:04 PM, Gagsy wrote: That should have been the final today.

60 minutes City dominates Chelsea. Then a lucky (and very beautiful) goal and City suddendly can't pass the ball over 5 meters. Typical...
Also, Torres should've been awarded a penalty. Kompany nearly tore off his shirt...

Anyway, I still like City a bit more than Chelsea, so I'm quite happy the team in "pale blue" won this match.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 19th, 2013 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 4/17/13 09:43 AM, Dream-of-Duke wrote:
At 4/15/13 04:16 PM, TracyJacksonTAW wrote: here's hoping Chelsea end the season on a good not...that loss to City was not good.
Even JoMo won't save your lots next season --- too many deadwoods for any manager to clear.

Negativity as always... and I don't think the Chelsea squad is all that bad. Lampard and Terry are coming to the end of their careers, but there is plenty of talent to replace them. After all both have been part time players this season. Chelsea are one prolific striker and a solid defender (not Luiz) from being a really good team.

Anyway, predictions, and I have to do a better job than last weeks debacle!

Fulham 1-2 Arsenal

Normally I'd fancy Fulham at home to get something, but they were dreadful against Chelsea and seem to be content with a midtable position. Arsenal need the win more.

Norwich 2-1 Reading

Norwich have to win this, they are in major trouble if they don't get three points here. That should be enough incentive to push them through against a team that appears to have given up.

QPR 2-0 Stoke

I'm gambling on having this as my banker (and Remy as my fantasy league captain), but QPR are due a home win to spark a tiny bit of late season hope, while Stoke are dire currently. Won't be enough to save QPR though.

Sunderland 2-1 Everton

Its clear that this isn't the same Sunderland as a month ago. Di Canio has galvanised the side, and in his first home game I expect them to win.

Swansea 3-1 Southampton

Swansea are due a result, and Southampton are so open at the back that I think their counter attacking style will have a field day. Southampton are safe and will be looking to the Summer now.

West Brom 1-2 Newcastle

I still really like this Newcastle squad, despite their league position, and they will need the win here more than West Brom.

West Ham 2-2 Wigan

As ever Wigan are a nightmare to predict. West Ham look good with Caroll on hot form, so I'm plumping for a high scoring draw.

Spurs 2-2 City

No good for either side- both will want a win, and City are playing well. Could be quite open, but ultimately I think a draw.

Liverpool 2-1 Chelsea

Liverpool have absolutely battered West Ham and Reading in the last two games and failed to score against a defensive wall. Chelsea will be far more open, so I fancy Liverpool to carry on their Chelsea hoodoo.

Man Utd 4-2 Aston Villa

United have the title wrapped up, while Villa are playing really well going forward. Could be a high scoring game as Villa throw the kitched sink at United for a result, but class will tell.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 19th, 2013 @ 06:48 PM Reply

Week 33 Results (17/04/13)

Rank // Correct Results // Perfect Scores // Weekly Points // Overall Points // Best Weekly Score // 5 Week Average // Name // Rank Change

01. // 4 // 1 // 06 // 223 // 13 // 6.6 // Dream-of-Duke 0
02. // 4 // 1 // 06 // 222 // 13 // 8.2 // Sentio 0
03. // 5 // 1 // 07 // 220 // 12 // 5.2 // DannyIsOnFire 0
04. // 7 // 1 // 09 // 184 // 10 // 5.4 // HeartbreakHoldout 0
05. // 7 // 3 // 13 // 171 // 13 // 8.2 // Gagsy 0
06. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 105 // 13 // 0.0 // Ejit 0
07. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 019 // 10 // 0.0 // tyler2513 0
08. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 007 // 04 // 0.0 // Jonny 0
09. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 006 // 06 // 0.0 // MCFC 0
10. // 0 // 0 // 00 // 005 // 05 // 0.0 // LostFaceInTrain 0

Weekly Highest Score: 13 (Gagsy)
Highest Score all time: 13 (Sentio - Week 8, Dream-Of-Duke & Ejit - Week 14, Gagsy - Weeks 23 & 33)
Weekly average score: 8.20
Weekly average highest all time: 8.80 (Week 14 & 17)

It's backwards week! Everyone scored the opposite of what you might expect. DoD and Sentio only score 6, while Danny scores 7, meaning they are as close as ever in the top 3 positions.

I had a pretty good week by my standards, but my score was eclipsed by Gagsy, equaling the season best of 13, and being the only person to do so twice this season (by my records). Gagsy's score brings the gap between 4th and 5th to 13 points, but I'm sure she'll be unable to close that gap before the end of the season!

Fulham 1 - 2 Arsenal
Norwich 1 - 0 Reading
QPR 2 - 0 Stoke
Sunderland 1 - 2 Everton
Swansea 2 - 2 Southampton
West Brom 1 - 1 Newcastle
West Ham 0 - 1 Wigan
Spurs 1 - 2 City
Liverpool 2 - 2 Chelsea (I'm quite concerned about Torres and Benitez's return...)
Man Utd 3 - 1 Aston Villa

Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 19th, 2013 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 4/19/13 06:48 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Fulham 1 - 2 Arsenal
Norwich 1 - 0 Reading
QPR 2 - 0 Stoke
Sunderland 1 - 2 Everton
Swansea 2 - 2 Southampton
West Brom 1 - 1 Newcastle
West Ham 0 - 1 Wigan
Spurs 1 - 2 City
Liverpool 2 - 2 Chelsea (I'm quite concerned about Torres and Benitez's return...)
Man Utd 3 - 1 Aston Villa

Fulham 1-2 Arsenal
Leeds B 2-0 Reading
QPR 1-0 Stoke
Sunderland 1-1 Everton
Swansea 2-1 Southampton
WBA 1-1 Newcastle
West Ham 1-0 Wigan
Tottenham 1-2 Man City
Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea
Man U 3-1 Villa

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 04:52 AM Reply

At 4/19/13 06:48 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote:
It's backwards week! Everyone scored the opposite of what you might expect.

How dare you.

I had a pretty good week by my standards, but my score was eclipsed by Gagsy, equaling the season best of 13, and being the only person to do so twice this season (by my records).

Rock on.

Fulham 0 - 2 Arsenal
Norwich 1 - 1 Reading
QPR 1 - 1 Stoke
Sunderland 2 - 2 Everton
Swansea 2 - 0 Southampton
West Brom 1 - 2 Newcastle
West Ham 2 - 1 Wigan
Spurs 1 - 3 City
Liverpool 2 - 3 Chelsea
Man Utd 2 - 0 Aston Villa

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 06:41 AM Reply

Fulham 1-2 Arsenal
Norwich 2-0 Reading
QPR 1-1 Stoke
Sunderland 1-2 Everton
Swansea 2-1 Southampton
WBA 1-2 Newcastle
West Ham 2-0 Wigan
Tottenham 1-2 Man City
Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea
Man U 3-0 Villa

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Dream-of-Duke
Dream-of-Duke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 10:14 AM Reply

Typical Mancini collapse.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 12:26 PM Reply

At 4/13/13 06:14 PM, Haggard wrote: Partick Thistle wins 2:1 at Airdrie United. Morton loses 0:1 against Dunfermline. Holy Cow, only one more point for Thistle, and they win the League! This is too good to be true...

Yesterday they made the promotion to the SPL perfect. WOW! And with 9 points in front of Morton, they can even cope with a possible points deduction if the Dunfermline matches get nullified. :)

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 12:26 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 4/13/13 06:14 PM, Haggard wrote: Partick Thistle wins 2:1 at Airdrie United. Morton loses 0:1 against Dunfermline. Holy Cow, only one more point for Thistle, and they win the League! This is too good to be true...
Yesterday they made the promotion to the SPL perfect. WOW! And with 9 points in front of Morton, they can even cope with a possible points deduction if the Dunfermline matches get nullified. :)

Dare I ask, why do you care about Partick Thistle? I've got a soft spot for Inverness in the Scottish Prem as my wife is from there, a shame they couldn't get anything from Celtic today, but still by far their best season ever.

Meanwhile the race for fourth remains a three horse race. Irritated that Liverpool just can't beat anyone at the moment, despite being by far the better side yet again.

Also Plymouth go to the final game of the season next Saturday still needing a draw to guarentee safety (away at Rochdale). All logic says that they are safe, but yesterday 6 results had to go against them to mean they could still go down, and all 6 did. Next week a further four need to go against them to see Argyle in the Conference...

Scary.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 12:59 PM Reply

Well, at least Suarez's last action of the season was a positive one. I would love to see Liverpool rely less on Suarez, he's such an awful, awful person.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 12:59 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Well, at least Suarez's last action of the season was a positive one. I would love to see Liverpool rely less on Suarez, he's such an awful, awful person.

Yeah, I missed that incident as I was out in the kitchen for a few minutes, and I actually feel a little bad for saying Liverpool should have won having seen that. He won't play again this season, and given his previous for doing this (a 7 game ban for Ajax for a near identical incident), I can see the ban he receives being much much longer. Possibly so long that Liverpool sell him on as he'll be free to play in another league.

That is one of the very worst things I have ever seen on a football field- what kind of a human being does that? It's right up there with Cantona all those years ago. I can understand fighting, rash tackles etc in the heat of the moment, but that is just utterly inexcusable. Even my Liverpool supporting wife says she would rather never see him play for the club again, no matter how good a player he is.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 01:11 PM, Sentio wrote: That is one of the very worst things I have ever seen on a football field- what kind of a human being does that? It's right up there with Cantona all those years ago. I can understand fighting, rash tackles etc in the heat of the moment, but that is just utterly inexcusable. Even my Liverpool supporting wife says she would rather never see him play for the club again, no matter how good a player he is.

It's so easy to ignore his dark side when he's playing so well, but I think Liverpool need to bite the bullet and get rid of him, even though we probably wouldn't a see a player of his quality on our team again for a long while. Would rather be average than associated with Luis Suarez.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 12:50 PM, Sentio wrote:
Dare I ask, why do you care about Partick Thistle?

Of course. It's a bit... strange, I guess. Since I am from Germany I have plenty of teams to be interested in and the scottish second or the premier league isn't exactly well known for great football, haha.

So, here's my story:

My then gf (and now wife) and I where on our very first vacation together. We decided for a trip around scotland and we started in Glasgow. We stayed at the Beersbridge Annex. Right next to that hostel happened to be a small football stadium. So, we tried to figure out what kind of club played there (not that hard) and in which league they played (very hard. What's with all those "non leagues" in Scotland?). Back home I did some research and stumbled upon the PTFC web site. Then I stumbled upon the unofficial fan forum. Nice guys there, so I decided to sign up.

And since Glasgow was the place where my wife (then gf ;) ) started our very first vacation, it's a special place for us. And PTFC is a special club, imo. Trying to survive in a city where the Rangers and Celtic have their homes as well can't be that easy.

Now, a few years later, I was even able to visit one home game (which Thistle lost 0:2 :/ ) and I try to support the club, which isn't always that easy... I own three strips (one I got from my brother, one I won in a raffle and one I bought with the help of a forum member who bought the strip and sent it to me. Which was a lot cheaper than paying the 20 pounds delivery costs that the shop charges...) and one scarf, which I bought in the fan shop. Then, there's a fan group called "The Nomads", which originally is for people from Glasgow who now happen to live elsewhere in the world. I'm not really a "nomad" in that sense, but this way I can help to support the club.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 01:22 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 4/21/13 12:50 PM, Sentio wrote:
Dare I ask, why do you care about Partick Thistle?
Of course. It's a bit... strange, I guess. Since I am from Germany I have plenty of teams to be interested in and the scottish second or the premier league isn't exactly well known for great football, haha.

So, here's my story:

That's pretty awesome- football survives on its community, and its clubs like Partick that need every fan they can get. It's great to hear about a fan of a club who supports them for personal reasons, not just because they win all of the time, even if it is an unfashionable club. As someone who has supported an unfashionable club for most of my life it always makes me angry when people follow a few big sides simply because they win.

For my part obviously Plymouth is number one, but I have a soft spot for Inverness as mentioned before, and also Yeovil Town as my cousin plays for their juniors (and what a season they are having!!). I also quite like Bournemouth as I have family down there. I've never developed an interest in foreign leagues outside of who makes it to Europe, so I don't follow anyone particularly, but my time in the States has left me following the various major sports teams based in Denver.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 12:59 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Well, at least Suarez's last action of the season was a positive one. I would love to see Liverpool rely less on Suarez, he's such an awful, awful person.

In the 2010 World Cup he pretty much did the same thing and it sort of worked since it was in the last minutes of extra time, and Gyan missed the penalty.

What about the CL? I think Bayern will beat Barcelona, since, to me, Bayern is a team that's on the rise while Barcelona is a team that's on the descent.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 10:14 PM Reply

Disgusting disgusting disgusting.

Any Liverpool fans who can still defend that rat need their heads examined. Yes his football skills are beautiful its the rest of him that is underdeveloped.

I didn't watch the game live as I was sleeping (I work nights, makes watching football a pain on the weekends if I'm on shift), very curious to know where the 6 minutes of added time came from. Anyone?

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 10:14 PM, Gagsy wrote:
I didn't watch the game live as I was sleeping (I work nights, makes watching football a pain on the weekends if I'm on shift), very curious to know where the 6 minutes of added time came from. Anyone?

Lots of rolling around and time wasting from the Chelsea players I'm afraid, not to mention inevitable delays for the penalty. Can't have much complaint on that front, more that Suarez was still on the pitch to score.

The FA have a real dilemma on their hands here. It's becoming increasingly clear that the referee saw the incident (he even had a closer look at Ivanovic's arm), and chose not to take any action. We all know what that means- by the letter of the law the FA can't overturn a referee's decision if he saw it, and so they can't ban Suarez.

Yet this so clearly deserves a ban that there will be uproar if they don't do something about it.

So what do they do?

If they ban him they will have numerous questions to answer over the dozens of other cases of players who should have been banned but weren't on the back of the referee having seen the decision.

Don't ban him and they stir up a media frenzy and make out like biting a player/human being is acceptable. Which it clearly isn't.

My suspicion is that they won't take the moral high ground and admit that their clearly stupid rules are wrong by banning Suarez for a dozen games despite the referee seeing it, which is what they should do. More likely they will doctor the referee report to make out like he didn't see it so that they can ban Suarez and not admit to breaching their own rules.

Either way this decision is bigger than just what happens to Suarez.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Football Club - Ngfc Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 02:13 PM Reply

At 4/21/13 03:09 PM, Sentio wrote: It's great to hear about a fan of a club who supports them for personal reasons, not just because they win all of the time, even if it is an unfashionable club.

Well, what can I say. My "first team" is Bayern Munich... but they have been for about ~25 years now (maybe a few years less than that). And being from Hamburg doesn't make it any easier. In Hamburg there are two (more or less) big clubs (HSV and St. Pauli). When I say that I am from Hamburg, people ask me which of those two I support... I guess it's a bit like the Old Firm. People can't imagine that you don't support either of those. When I say I support neither of them but Bayern, I get some strange looks. Some people call me "glory hunter", some even call me "traitor" (what exactly am I betraying?). But all I can say is: I follow this club for over 20 years. And unlike many other people I know, I never ever "changed" the club I follow.... oh well, "it's not easy being red", haha.