New Topic Respond to this Topic
WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:13 PM Reply

I want you people to tell me what do you think about my little flash so far, and test it to help me find bugs

Link.

so, tell me anything about it, if it looks good or bad, also if it runs too slow or any other helpful advise you could give me.

thank you in advance.
javascript:MakeSmileySelection(10);
Winking

WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:17 PM Reply

'Duh... forgot to say sumthin'

-controls (so far):
-arrow keys.
-up to jump- twice to double jump \o/

...kinda obvious but somebody might ask

Sorry for double pos

Organclock
Organclock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:29 PM Reply

id just change the jump by removing s few frames and add bad guys or a plot or somehtin

RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:35 PM Reply

Wow man, very nice so far. I'd define the ground and platforms a bit more, but so far it works real nice.

WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:40 PM Reply

thank you for the answers, i want to know who else thinks i should remove/change the jumping animation, so It'd be nice if everyone tells me.

also the platforms are just for hiTest'ing purposes, so they won't look like that at all when it's finished, and there wil be enemies and stuff, of course ;P

Krisddd
Krisddd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:40 PM Reply

its awesome but sometimes it gets hard to jump on the platforms. seems like theres an invisible wall or something :(.

Pedochu
Pedochu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:41 PM Reply

Pretty good.

The running animation doesn't need friction and power, and should be a little slower. It just feels weird to me. In my mind that's the biggest problem, but it also needs a background to tell where you are when falling.

Skeik-Sprite
Skeik-Sprite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:47 PM Reply

Thats not nice D: It works, but not being able change my direction in air completly kills it for me. The animation is A+, but it just feels so stiff and ugh.

El-Presidente
El-Presidente
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 03:47 PM Reply

You really need to work on the actionscript. Go walk off the cliff and he stays up until he jumps and falls. You should really get some help on that and I would say either get someone to do the actionscript for you or at least go to AS: Main or something and learn how to do it yourself. Also the jumping is a little weird how it only goes how you jumped first. It's more realistic but not great. Good luck anyways.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS
8=================================>
...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature
jozojozojozo
jozojozojozo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 04:04 PM Reply

Wow!
The animation is good, and the player.
But its kinda hard to jump on platforms..

Good so far though ;)

LOL @ this review
Great i love it. A must if you love blowin peoples heads off.
For game http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vi ew/283047

Battered-Prawn
Battered-Prawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 04:05 PM Reply

My only real complaint is the jumping mechanism. the 'second jump' should be a different animation to that of the first one, and you should be able to change direction whilst in the air (just as you can on the ground. Also you shouldn't stay motionless for so long after you land from a jump. Other than that, maybe up the friction so you don't skid so much and it is gonna be awesome.

I love the character gfx btw :D

Why not send me a PM, or visit my User Page

BBS Signature
WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 04:10 PM Reply

At 8/28/07 03:47 PM, El-Presidente wrote: You really need to work on the actionscript. Go walk off the cliff and he stays up until he jumps and falls. You should really get some help on that and I would say either get someone to do the actionscript for you or at least go to AS: Main or something and learn how to do it yourself. Also the jumping is a little weird how it only goes how you jumped first. It's more realistic but not great. Good luck anyways.

well, that's why i posted here, so you people tell me what can i improve in my flash, so thank you for pointing out that cliff issue, it should be really easy to change.
But something i don't understand is why do you tell meto go and learn actionscript only for that little mistake, it's not like i copied one of those plataform tutorials to make this, it's 100% my script. (and of course i did it thanks to AS: Main, so no need to tell me about it).

and about the jump, i think i'll change that, i wanted it to be more realistic but it ended up feeling weird... so I'll just make it able to move while jumping.

also i don't really get what Pedochu tried to say O_O (except the baground thing, which of course I'll add later).

WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 08:35 PM Reply

here fixed some problems, mainly you are able to move while jumping now ;P

link.

also other fixes :
-now it's easier to jump on platforms.
-you will fall if run out of the grass. (not really important).
-less delay after double-jump.
-some other platform scripting that was causing problem but you couldn't see it.

so now tell me, people, is it better? should i change anything else to improve it?

By the way, thank you a lot to everyone who answers, you are of great help really.

uyersuyer
uyersuyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 08:45 PM Reply

The original reminded me of the original Prince of Persia, how you couldn't move in the air.

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature
gankro
gankro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 08:46 PM Reply

the main problem i see is that you are basing the "hard" landing animation on the fact that you so i suggest you do something along these lines:
//this code is pretty guessed on my behalf
if(gravity > 0){ //i.e. if you are falling
fall ++
}else{
fall = 0
if(ontheground){ // i dont know how you are defining this
if(fall > 50){/adjust this as you see fit
gotoAndStop("big land") //or wtever its called
}
}

what i'm trying to say is base the big land on how much you fall rather than if you double jump

My Coding Portfolio (updated frequently)
If you stay in bed for long enough it will be socially acceptable to go to bed again

BBS Signature
WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 8/28/07 08:46 PM, gankro wrote: the main problem i see is that you are basing the "hard" landing animation on the fact that you so i suggest you do something along these lines:
//this code is pretty guessed on my behalf
if(gravity > 0){ //i.e. if you are falling
fall ++
}else{
fall = 0
if(ontheground){ // i dont know how you are defining this
if(fall > 50){/adjust this as you see fit
gotoAndStop("big land") //or wtever its called
}
}

what i'm trying to say is base the big land on how much you fall rather than if you double jump

... though due to my coding (which is quite complicated and messed up xD) that wouldn't even be near to work... But it's a good idea and i think i know how to do it, so thank you :D

gankro
gankro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 10:08 PM Reply

i just got another good idea for the big landing:
instead of simply being stuck crouching for a second or two you are forced to roll in the direction you were going in to "absorb the shock" that way it will make people be more cautious when they jump and they won't get bored with all the waiting for the crouch to end

If you stay in bed for long enough it will be socially acceptable to go to bed again

BBS Signature
WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 11:00 PM Reply

Link

Ok. So it wasn't as easy as it sounds but i made it so it only crouches after jumping if he falls from certain height, so normaly you'll just land and keep walking.

and that rolling idea sounds nice, i could still use it instead of crouching, though i'd have to draw the rolling animation first xD

also thanks again, changing the code has helped me to fix several mistakes in my coding, so it now is a lot easier to change.

any other ideas in what should i change now?

gankro
gankro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 11:07 PM Reply

for testing purposes i recomend putting in a reset button or auto reseting when you fall off but as for general gameplay nothing comes to mind... it's near perfect...altho you might want to clean up the impact detection a bit

BBS Signature
itsjms
itsjms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 11:12 PM Reply

looks pretty nice! the coding could use some work though.

BBS Signature
WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 8/28/07 11:07 PM, gankro wrote: for testing purposes i recomend putting in a reset button or auto reseting when you fall off but as for general gameplay nothing comes to mind... it's near perfect...altho you might want to clean up the impact detection a bit

I'm really noob at AS... so what do you mean with clean up the impact detection..?

gankro
gankro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 11:25 PM Reply

At 8/28/07 11:20 PM, WillAlvein wrote:
I'm really noob at AS... so what do you mean with clean up the impact detection..?

for one, if you jump up from under a platform you "hit the bottom" waaaay to soon
also if you walk off the edge you are hovering for a pixel or two (but that doesnt really matter much...) but more importantly you can fall abit but "stick" to the side

BBS Signature
El-Presidente
El-Presidente
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 28th, 2007 @ 11:28 PM Reply

The reason that I told you that you should learn more actionscript is because I can see the way that you coded it. Clearly you didn't code it in a very good way if there are those problems. Its just that there are few ways that its possible for that problem. I think that you should post the script and that way we can help you though.

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature
WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 12:23 AM Reply

link

well, the impact detection looked weird because you were only able to see the floor symbol, but there are actually 4 symbols for each platform, the floor, the ceiling, the right wall and the left wall, so i kept the floor visiblilty true so you could see where the platforms were, but now i turned their visibility off, so you won't see any of the hitTest symbols, only the platforms over them...

also added a reset button now (enter)

Ponz
Ponz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 12:44 AM Reply

Something you should add is at the end of the animation where he's crouched after a long fall is him standing back up. Because now it just kind of jumps from him crouched to him standering. I think it'll just make it look more professional

Oh yeaaa

BBS Signature
El-Presidente
El-Presidente
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 12:46 AM Reply

To make your life 1000 times easier, you should look at the physics like movement tutorial on AS: Main which is like about hitTests with whatever.hitTest(_x, _y, true), because that way you can have 1 symbol and that's all you need for the ground! That would make it work better, easier, and look much nicer. It would also be cooler. The guy above me is also right about the crouching and having a little more animation. Whats up with the colors anyways?

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature
Flaming-Dookie
Flaming-Dookie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 01:29 AM Reply

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but if you run backwards (The other way) you can run off the ledge and just keep running....but if you jump you fall forever :S.

Tambreo
Tambreo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 05:48 AM Reply

Looks good. I'm not a coding expert so I'll just comment on what I see. I like the animation so far and the movement isn't too bad. The running looks like he's gliding-- it takes too many frames for the legs to move at the speed he's going. It might be a pain to alter that but it will probably be one of the most used graphics in your game, so definitely worth it. I like the other little touches you have in the animation-- how his hands and feet move while jumping and how he leans back to stop. Really gives it a finished touch.

The second jump should have a different animation than the first jump. Instead of having him just kneel there for a bit before standing (after the double jump) why don't you animate him standing back up during that time? It would keep that really fluid, realistic quality going.

WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 09:56 AM Reply

apparently you people agree that i should add a standing up animation after the crouching one, and i think that's a good idea too, though it'll also take some time cos i need to draw the animation ;P

about the running animation... it wouldn't be hard to make it faster...though i wanted it to look like that... i will try chaning it and see if it looks better.

and Mr. President, i can't find the tutorial you are pointing out, maybe i just didn't see it or didn't understand it when i read, but could you send me the link..? (also for what I've read the whatever.hitTest(_x, _y, true) thingie works with only one point, and how would i make it so when I jump on a platform with only one impact detection it stops me from falling but not from moving left/right?
(by the way, the weird colors in that platform are the detection symbols with their ._visible=true )

WillAlvein
WillAlvein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How is this working? Aug. 29th, 2007 @ 08:25 PM Reply

I'm back with yet another version of my game tester, this time i fixed as much as i could the impact detections, so i hope it looks alright :D

Link

also made the running animation faster, added a stand up animation after crouching and messed up a little with platform variables (I'll add the double-jump animation later, when i draw it ;P).

so please everyone tell me what do you think now, if you like it or not, what should i change, and if you find any bugs.

Thank you in advance.