00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

BRC's art lab

803 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

BRC's art lab 2007-07-28 13:24:50

Well, a "my art thread" like everyone elses. I'll mostly be posting experimental stuff to get opinions on them, so any constructive criticism would be highly apreciated. When I say criticism, I mean "shading is a little off" or "The proportions are wrong for that style". Please no "OMG, MSpaintserz". I am using MSpaint with Photoimpact.

Here is the first piece, which is a ghostly form, with various faces within it. I was inspired by the drawings of Stephen Gammell.

BRC's art lab

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-06 10:47:55

Here is my next one. I would like any opinions on this. It is still a WIP, so it would look somewhat incomplete. Helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

BRC's art lab

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-06 10:51:52

At 8/6/07 10:47 AM, B1gR3dC4t wrote: Here is my next one. I would like any opinions on this. It is still a WIP, so it would look somewhat incomplete. Helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is that a face?
The proportions and placement are completely and utterly wrong :(
I suggest starting over and using either your own face or a picture as a reference, at least for where things are supposed to go, i.e., eyes in the middle of the head vertically, or whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-06 10:53:58

At 8/6/07 10:51 AM, PandaMime wrote: Is that a face?
I suggest starting over and using either your own face or a picture as a reference, at least for where things are supposed to go, i.e., eyes in the middle of the head vertically, or whatever.

yes, i dont think he was attempting perfect realisim.

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-06 11:10:50

At 8/6/07 10:53 AM, insipidmortal wrote:
At 8/6/07 10:51 AM, PandaMime wrote: Is that a face?

No, I wasn't going for perfect realism.

I thought it was eyes in the middle of head horizontal to the ears.

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-07 11:35:19

Okay, I made some changes to my last image. The cheeks are thinner, the eyes are farther apart, and the nose and mouth are lower to make the face longer.

I think it's an improvement.

BRC's art lab

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-07 12:39:11

At 8/6/07 11:10 AM, B1gR3dC4t wrote:
At 8/6/07 10:53 AM, insipidmortal wrote:

No, I wasn't going for perfect realism.

Still, it should look like a face structurally

I thought it was eyes in the middle of head horizontal to the ears.

Yeah, I got vertically and horizontally confused >:U

BBS Signature

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-07 12:48:26

you need more depth in your shading, right now it look very random, and choppy. I suggest using a reference to find where the face is lighter and where its darker. glad your trying to improve, but it needs work.

Response to BRC's art lab 2007-08-07 13:08:08

At 8/7/07 12:48 PM, narf109 wrote: you need more depth in your shading, right now it look very random, and choppy. I suggest using a reference to find where the face is lighter and where its darker. glad your trying to improve, but it needs work.

Yeah, depth should of been a focus for it. I don't really go for realism per say, so what I do will have a random look to it. It's more of a personal preference, because of my taste in the wierd. But I should focus on the depth of my future figures, rather than patterns and lines alone. I think I should get back to doing the older styles I've done, but apply the new things I've learned.

Here is one of my older pieces for whoever wants to make a comparison.

BRC's art lab

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out