Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-12 11:57:36 Reply

At 1/11/15 04:26 PM, byteslinger wrote: Yeah, didn't know that until the 5th post...my goal is to get all of the kinks out of the on-line calcs, and then post a link to updated pages on my business site (like CyberDevil does for the hexalist).

I should have that on my business site hmm, free advertising at the same time! ;)

I have a MySQL database with, among other things, a list of all users in / near the top 300, and a series of PHP programs that manage / display the data. I also have a polling program (also in PHP) that pulls in all of the current stat pages and translates them to a snapshot (like the VB program does, but this is server based).

Ah, interesting. Is the PHP version of the polling script much faster than the VB one? Any issues with too long execution time; that sort of thing? Any potential limit to how many users it can handle?

In the process of testing, I discovered that when a user changes their user name it really screws up the calcs UNLESS I change the internal user name ASAP between monthly posts. Also, I had some issues with polling, and some data is missing, so that explains why the gains and all the numbers on the site are odd.

This post was done the old-fashioned way - get the current stats now, toss them in a spreadsheet, and compare them to the last post in September - and do all of the sorts/calcs in Excel.

My goal is to get the data cleaned up on the website, and use this post as the basis for January, so hopefully by February 1 this will be close to automagic.

That www wizardry would be a much smoother process than the old one indeed. :) Hope it all goes like it's supposed to!

By the way, I used your Hexalist to find the new users that are close to the top 300. How do you find the new users for your list? Hope you don't mind me sharing your data!

No problem at all. The users listed on the hexalist or the .txt file btw? I assume the newer version of that .txt file might have more users (closing in on 3000 right now), could send it over if you want more names. I actually haven't added any new users to the list yet, but I'm monitoring the deposits page via this site. Twas the method Dev suggested, though maybe there's an easier way you know of?

Been planning to throw together all these notifications in one big file and filter out only the re-occuring names later on.

Take care, and keep on voting!

-Byte!-

Likewise!

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Audiophile
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-12 12:42:13 Reply

At 1/11/15 04:26 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 1/11/15 08:47 AM, Murray wrote: This is why all the previous listmakers for B/P had it all squeezed in to four posts. I believe it was first post 1-50; second 51-140; third 141-220 and last 221-300. That aside, this is a great first attempt and it should be easier from hereon. I'm sure Dev is all good with you taking over. :)
Yeah, didn't know that until the 5th post...my goal is to get all of the kinks out of the on-line calcs, and then post a link to updated pages on my business site (like CyberDevil does for the hexalist).

I like the sound of this. So it'll be like the hexalist and EXP updates that I used to do and if this is what I think it is, it'll be the first like this for B/P updates in 10 years now. I do wonder a few things:

1. If updates are going to be web-based, does this mean you can extend the list to beyond the top 300?
2. Would you consider managing the EXP updates as well? I know you're busy with other things in life but if this is a possibility in the near-future, that would be fantastic news for me!

byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Programmer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-12 17:01:38 Reply

At 1/12/15 12:42 PM, Murray wrote:
At 1/11/15 04:26 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 1/11/15 08:47 AM, Murray wrote: This is why all the previous listmakers for B/P had it all squeezed in to four posts. I believe it was first post 1-50; second 51-140; third 141-220 and last 221-300. That aside, this is a great first attempt and it should be easier from hereon. I'm sure Dev is all good with you taking over. :)
Yeah, didn't know that until the 5th post...my goal is to get all of the kinks out of the on-line calcs, and then post a link to updated pages on my business site (like CyberDevil does for the hexalist).
I like the sound of this. So it'll be like the hexalist and EXP updates that I used to do and if this is what I think it is, it'll be the first like this for B/P updates in 10 years now. I do wonder a few things:

1. If updates are going to be web-based, does this mean you can extend the list to beyond the top 300?
2. Would you consider managing the EXP updates as well? I know you're busy with other things in life but if this is a possibility in the near-future, that would be fantastic news for me!

I think I see where this is all leading...and it's so crazy, it may just work...

Generally speaking, the users on the EXP/Hexalist are active users, and as such, will appear on one or more other lists, such as BP, protects, saves, etc. So, imagine this:

a) Instead of multiple lists of users, only one large (think set union) list is maintained - could be 500-600 or more?

b) Once a month, a PHP program is run to loop through all these users, and grab a detailed snapshot of their COMPLETE stats (think NGLOG data, but once a month and semi-automatic)

c) Once all users have their monthly snapshots, run different modules (one per list) to update that list and make it available as web links for the month

d) So, instead of the site just being TOP 300 or Top EXP, it would actually be able to handle pretty much any list.

e) For any list, I would need to create (1) the monthly comparison table, (2) PHP code to calculate the comparison month to month and (3) a layout page that would show the users on the list and any additional factoids

The process to poll and snapshot individual user's data already works, and I have a tool to maintain users to poll.

In effect, all of the logic I built into the VB program I sent around could (theoretically) be put on a website with PHP and MySQL. Other than keeping the list of users up to date, it would only require maybe an hour or two a month to babysit the updates and make sure all of the lists get updated.

Hmmm.... since I have to do some rework on the Top300 logic anyway, maybe I should make it fully modular and extendible?

And if I'm successful - this could mean all lists could be automated...assuming I can get the data polling to behave.

So...what do you think?

Proud member of the EGB |-Barracks Info-|-EGB BBS-|-EGB Website-|

BBS Signature
Tribal
Tribal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Programmer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-12 18:02:19 Reply

At 9/18/14 08:04 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/17/14 02:28 AM, Dev wrote: Congrats to DoctorStrongbad for being the #1 BP'er
Thank you for the praise.

020) 93858 4266 038.4 DoctorStrongbad 2
Up two spots to number 20. I am on the edge of the top twenty, which is a honor.

Some day I will beat you. Some day soon.

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!
Sig by Me.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-18 11:40:58 Reply

At 1/12/15 06:02 PM, Tribal wrote:
At 9/18/14 08:04 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
020) 93858 4266 038.4 DoctorStrongbad 2
Up two spots to number 20. I am on the edge of the top twenty, which is a honor.
Some day I will beat you. Some day soon.

You don't want to be like me, Tribal. B/Ping over twelve hours a day gets old fast. After all these years, it never gets any easier.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Reformed
Reformed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-19 15:58:42 Reply

Quick question, how many b/p and or s/p to rank up?
Is there a list somewhere :)? Thanks!

Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-21 00:54:57 Reply

At 1/11/15 12:09 AM, byteslinger wrote: I hope Dev doesn't mind that I stepped in and calculated the top 300 rank for him

A pleasant surprise, actually. I made the offer back last May for someone to take up the list, knowing I wouldn't have the time/drive to continue on updating on a regular basis... Anyway, thanks a bunch for taking the reins and that little nagging feeling of guilt along with it. <3

094) 51707 0000 00.0 Dev-5

Lost 5 ranks; my sig is no longer accurate. :( At least I'm still in the top 100, but for how long?

Thanks a lot!

BBS Signature
Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-21 00:56:13 Reply

At 1/19/15 03:58 PM, Reformed wrote: Quick question, how many b/p and or s/p to rank up?

http://newgrounds.wikia.com/wiki/Blam_%26_Protect_Rank

Here you go, sir.

BBS Signature
Reformed
Reformed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-21 22:22:54 Reply

At 1/21/15 12:56 AM, Dev wrote:
At 1/19/15 03:58 PM, Reformed wrote: Quick question, how many b/p and or s/p to rank up?
http://newgrounds.wikia.com/wiki/Blam_%26_Protect_Rank

Here you go, sir.

thanks so much

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-01-29 21:54:37 Reply

This used to be one of the most active topics. Should we elect a backup for updating it?

supra187
supra187
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Gamer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-02-16 16:14:20 Reply

I'm an Elite Guard Corporal but I'm not on the list. Of course my global ranking is in the 1,800s so that's maybe why I'm not on there.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-02-16 21:20:37 Reply

At 2/16/15 04:14 PM, supra187 wrote: I'm an Elite Guard Corporal but I'm not on the list. Of course my global ranking is in the 1,800s so that's maybe why I'm not on there.

There has to be an update before anybody is adding to the list. You can join the club of users waiting for it.

supra187
supra187
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Gamer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-02-18 12:18:31 Reply

At 2/16/15 09:20 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

There has to be an update before anybody is adding to the list. You can join the club of users waiting for it.

I see. I want to see what is going to happen so I can start blamming and protecting like I did in the past.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ 2015-02-25 12:00:36 Reply

At 2/18/15 12:18 PM, supra187 wrote:
At 2/16/15 09:20 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

I see. I want to see what is going to happen so I can start blamming and protecting like I did in the past.

Why did you stop blamming and protecting? Only you can save the portal, only you.