BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 15th, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

I posted this in the Top 50 Blammers list thread but I think it deserves to be posted here too. So here goes nothing.

This is just a suggestion but I strongly feel that DoctorStrongbad should now be Blacklisted from both of the Blammers and Protectors lists and also the B/P ranks 51+ Lists. It's brutally obvious that he's making an absolute mockery of the voting system. And here's the proof.

This was his Saves for the month from the Protectors list 2 weeks ago.

+ 1,352 + 48.3 DoctorStrongbad

and this is his Blams for this months Blammers list.

+ 01 + 0.0 DoctorStrongbad

Even a retard can get more than 1 Blam in a month. (No offence to any retards that may be reading this.) But since he's not taking the advice he's been given by many people many times over and not responding to any requests to change his voting habits, quite frankly I feel (and I'm sure I'm not the only) that it's about time he learned that his voting habits are pathetic and childish and unethical and they will not be tolerated. It's obvious he doesn't care about the quality of Flash submitted to NG, he's just in it for the Saves. Even though I highly doubt Blacklisting him will have any effect on his voting habits, it must be done for the sake of the sanity of the moralistic NG voters. It's gone on far too long and now is the time that something must be done about it. Either Blacklist him or possibly let's PM Tom or Wade with a petition and show them his ridiculous voting figures and ask that he either gets a stern warning and his account gets highly monitored for some time or for his B/P points get reset back to ZERO. Maybe then he will get the big fucking picture and vote sensibly.

byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 11:24 AM Reply

At 3/10/13 05:06 PM, Bahamut wrote: Another one down on the blacklist and this time they were actually on the update until now. If they've got a problem with it, there's always my PM inbox to attend.

UPDATE 10th March 2013

Thank you again, kind sir. Your efforts and work are always appreciated!

Days to 100k B/P

byteslinger - 21.23

Based on an average of 30 points a day, I estimate I'll cross that boundary some time the first week of April. Denvish and Ramagi are idle, so once I get to #11, I think I'll be there for a while. But still, I'll be the 13th to reach 6 digits - and Ms. Gagsy is soon to be #14 - Just a few months more, my dear!

B/P Milestones / Rank ups / Top 100, etc...

Congrats to all... so much activity this month

Special mentions

Coop - #9

Yes, our resident handsome handyman and overachiever is now one step closer to world domination. I hear that once he reaches #1, he's going to petition Mirriam-Webster to add a new meaning to the word "coop" in the dictionary : "one more better than your best, chump!". In a sentence, you'd say something like "I can so coop you in that!". I hear he also wants to replace "pwned" with "cooped" as well. Hey, if he reaches the top, he deserves it! :P

The LIST

010) 112186 0426 028.4 Ehwaz003
011) 100017 0000 000.0 ramagi
012) 100014 0000 000.0 Denvish
013) 99322 0479 031.9 byteslinger
014) 96251 0000 000.0 ReconRebel
015) 95357 0553 036.9 Gagsy

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door...

At 3/15/13 09:30 PM, gamejunkie wrote: I posted this in the Top 50 Blammers list thread but I think it deserves to be posted here too. So here goes nothing.

This is just a suggestion but I strongly feel that DoctorStrongbad should now be Blacklisted from both of the Blammers and Protectors lists and also the B/P ranks 51+ Lists. It's brutally obvious that he's making an absolute mockery of the voting system. And here's the proof. (see original post)

I agree with you in theory, but then I must ask you this: why is TooCool100 still on this list? He made a career on only protecting flashes, and as such serves as an example to others that it's perfectly fine to upvote everything. In fact, his claim to fame was that he was first to reach Supreme Commander on only protects.

Understand this: I am not arguing against you - we should all vote "fairly" in the spirit and sport of the site. Those that don't just make it worse for those who try to do the right thing. But if you want to set a precedent where those who continually abuse the system be reprimanded, punished or locked out in some way, shouldn't it apply to ALL those who fall in that category?

Just asking...

Anyways, thank you again Bahamut for the list and the work. Well done, as always!

Proud member of the EGB |-Barracks Info-|-EGB BBS-|-EGB Website-|

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 3/16/13 11:24 AM, byteslinger wrote: I agree with you in theory, but then I must ask you this: why is TooCool100 still on this list? He made a career on only protecting flashes, and as such serves as an example to others that it's perfectly fine to upvote everything. In fact, his claim to fame was that he was first to reach Supreme Commander on only protects.

I have asked this very same question before and got a hiding for it and basically put in my place by Coop and Bahamut, maybe you should ask them why TooCool100 should not be removed from this list because I totally agree with you. I'm sure they have a good explanation but when I brought it up before their answer was quite frankly, extremely vague other than he apparently doesn't vote 5 on everything, it's just that he apparently doesn't vote 0 or 1 on shitty flashes instead he refrains from voting on them. That's the answer I got anyway. Also I think you will find TooCool100 to be an alt of a high ranking NG member/possible Mod hence Bahamuts decision not to remove him from the list. But like you said, what's good for one should be good for all. No favouritism should apply whatever your NG status is.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 21st, 2013 @ 08:46 AM Reply

Only realised now that the update for Sunday is going to clash with going to London for a live show at the same time. I was thinking maybe shift the update to Monday or something but I'll tell you what, I think for a change I'll just take a break from the next update and just wait until the following scheduled update. Might as well try and ease my mind when I can.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 21st, 2013 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 3/21/13 08:46 AM, Bahamut wrote: Only realised now that the update for Sunday is going to clash with going to London for a live show at the same time. I was thinking maybe shift the update to Monday or something but I'll tell you what, I think for a change I'll just take a break from the next update and just wait until the following scheduled update. Might as well try and ease my mind when I can.

A month between updates is a bit long to wait, but knowing what you've been going through lately, I'll let it slide. ;)

Seriously though, have a good time at the show. (Only another month and a half or so until I get to see Rush!) :D

This sig is my identity -what was I thinking getting rid of it??
Holder of the Top 300 BP list.
Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:33 AM Reply

At 3/21/13 08:46 AM, Bahamut wrote: Only realised now that the update for Sunday is going to clash with going to London for a live show at the same time. I was thinking maybe shift the update to Monday or something but I'll tell you what, I think for a change I'll just take a break from the next update and just wait until the following scheduled update. Might as well try and ease my mind when I can.

Not a bad thing to me honestly. I actually like it when these types of list have bigger breaks because you get to see your gains on a larger scale. You can jump more people and really feel proud of what you have accomplished. Have some fun at your concert; who are you seeing?

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 22nd, 2013 @ 01:13 PM Reply

Hey, have a great time in London - we can wait! Yes, I do have my own agenda - by the next update, I should be at 100K, so that's fine by me. But seriously, please don't worry about the update - we know it's all voluntary and we appreciate what you do, and if you need some time for yourself, you certainly deserve it!

Party on!

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 24th, 2013 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 3/10/13 05:06 PM, Bahamut wrote: 007) 131840 0106 007.1 ViceFullbuster
008) 115528 0523 034.9 Coop 1
009) 115479 0000 000.0 courtday -1

So I wait until the day of the next update to respond to this? Damn, I've been slipping a lot of late, but I will try to keep up a reasonable presence here...

Right, courtday has finally been Cooped and ViceFullbuster has appeared as the next target, though at some 16,312 points ahead, I will have quite a journey to catch him. I'm not saying that I can't, but I will keep my pace as high as possible and keep the pressure on him wherever I can.

Thanks for the update, Bahamut.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 03:00 AM Reply

Fine job fellas for contributing to the detriment of the portal. Do you guys even watch the flashes before voting? Or do you pass everything that has more than 1 frame?

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At 3/29/13 03:00 AM, Jin wrote: Fine job fellas for contributing to the detriment of the portal. Do you guys even watch the flashes before voting? Or do you pass everything that has more than 1 frame?

Yes, of course. Since everyone in the Top 100 HAS to be a mindles save whore, right? You know, before you make a total douche out of yourself (whoops, too late!) you should maybe... like, check what's going on in this thread?

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 06:49 AM Reply

At 3/29/13 06:23 AM, Haggard wrote: Yes, of course. Since everyone in the Top 100 HAS to be a mindles save whore, right? You know, before you make a total douche out of yourself (whoops, too late!) you should maybe... like, check what's going on in this thread?

Oops! The portal's just fine. No shit flash getting through. Keep it up!

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 09:18 AM Reply

At 3/29/13 06:49 AM, Jin wrote:
At 3/29/13 06:23 AM, Haggard wrote: Yes, of course. Since everyone in the Top 100 HAS to be a mindles save whore, right? You know, before you make a total douche out of yourself (whoops, too late!) you should maybe... like, check what's going on in this thread?

Again: Read through the thread. No one is happy about the state of the portal and most users here would really like to gain more blams. Also, as a result of too many shitty flashes passing, I just recently resigend from B/Ping.

But what am I trying to do here. You already formed an opinion about me anyway.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 3/29/13 06:49 AM, Jin wrote:

Yes, because it istotally the fault of only users on this list that crap is passing through the portal. I'm usually quite happy if even one of the submissions I've voted 0 on throughout the day (if I watch and see it's crap I'm voting 0, if it's good then 2-5). Before drawing in your mindless opinions, take time to read through several of the more recent pages before posting.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #10 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 11:59 AM Reply

There are at least 100 active voters in the top 300 list, and 100 is half the votes required to pass a flash.

If you're all voting fairly there's no way 0 to 1 flash gets blammed per day.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 11:59 AM, Jin wrote: There are at least 100 active voters in the top 300 list, and 100 is half the votes required to pass a flash.

Ever thought about that not all of the top 100 active voters are online at the same time of the day?

Also, Bahamut has already blacklisted users whose voting habits are disgraceful, go figure.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 12:40 PM, Haggard wrote: Also, Bahamut has already blacklisted users whose voting habits are disgraceful, go figure.

You got that right but even then it's not going to make people think and act differently. I've recently been thinking to myself whether it's even worth keeping it up at this point or just let it go. I've seen the portal behaviour for years now and nothing has been done to make it any better. We only find the state getting worse and worse. I've said it many times but I kept the list going because I had time on my hands and wanted to provide the updates for those who deserve it. However, how many honest voters are even out there now?

I know I've been on this edge a few times now but this time I'm really thinking to myself. Perhaps whoever takes over won't mind the bad voters as much as myself but I only wish there was administrative action taken against the state of the portal and how to manage it better. The site would have better standards if there was at least a higher passing score requirement but the idea has been suggested for years now and nothing has been done about it. I suppose if I'm to hang it up, I'll make one last update and then move on.

Formerly Bahamut

Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 12:40 PM, Haggard wrote: Ever thought about that not all of the top 100 active voters are online at the same time of the day?
At 3/12/13 05:05 PM, Sentio wrote:

"The slow pace of the portal is really suiting me at the moment. I only visit the portal once a day when I've got home from work, but because everything is hanging around UJ I'm hardly missing any submissions."

Also, Bahamut has already blacklisted users whose voting habits are disgraceful, go figure.

Blacklisting eh... big whoop.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 11:59 AM, Jin wrote: There are at least 100 active voters in the top 300 list, and 100 is half the votes required to pass a flash.

If you're all voting fairly there's no way 0 to 1 flash gets blammed per day.

Your maths doesn't add up here. If all 100 of those most active users vote 0 (which they don't, as has been repeatedly mentioned here much to the irritation of thread regulars), and 100 others vote 5 on every submission, ignoring voting power that gives a total of 2.5. Plenty for a submission to pass. Factor in honest active users not voting on every submission (I've barely been around for over a week for example), and a significant number of dishonest active users, and it is easy to see how rubbish passes.

Bring in voting power, and the 100 most active users here do not necessarily have the highest voting power on the site. There are plenty of high level accounts that can be abused for the purposes of mass voting flash through, and have high voting power.

Admin intervention as well as pressure from the userbase is the only solution. Blacklisting is a small gesture, but it is a gesture for honest voting, and every little bit of pressure that can be exerted on dishonest voting will help the site in the long run. In my mind the decline of activity and user numbers on NG coinciding with the decline of blams in the portal is no coincidence, and needs to be dealt with.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 03:09 PM, Jin wrote: Blacklisting eh... big whoop.

Yes, the portal is filled with crap. And more crap passes each day. Guess what? Instead of accusing people and pointing fingers, I actually hit the 0 button more often than you can propably count. The effect? I got 3 blams a day when I got lucky, out of 20+ votes where I simply voted 0.

So... May I ask what exactly your problem is with this thread or the users on this list?

gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 3/29/13 03:00 AM, Jin wrote: Fine job fellas for contributing to the detriment of the portal. Do you guys even watch the flashes before voting? Or do you pass everything that has more than 1 frame?

If you feel like shooting your big (uneducated) mouth off, maybe you should go and do it in this thread instead. You'll find most of the Savewhores you're attempting to abuse, live over there. But rest assured most of us have tried what your attempting and just like us you will have absolutely no effect on (those fuckwits) pathetic voting habits. No matter what they get told, they just don't listen. Your preaching to people (the savewhores) who don't give two shits about your opinion and they also don't give two shits about how they are ruining Newgrounds for everybody. We know because we too have tried what you're attempting and we too have failed.

FYI being a Statwhores doesn't automatically make you a Savewhore and the majority of intelligent Newgrounders are totally aware of the problem and have tried numerous times to get something done about it. So, if you want to have a big baby whinging session maybe you should do it to Tom or Wade and you'll see that it gets you nowhere, just like it has done for the rest of us, for what seems an eternity. The vox populi on Newgrounds have absolutely no say in the matter. It's up to the Admins and it would seem that this problem is not a high priority on their agenda of site fixes. Even though most of us feel it should be.

I personally vote on virtually every Flash that goes through the portal judgement process, of which at least 60% I vote 0 or 1 on and like you I'm lucky to get 1 to 4 Blams a day, therefore wasting over half of my votes on utter crap that passes judgement. (Another FYI, I'm regularly in the Top 5 for the Monthly Blammers list) So, like Haggard said, 'If you're going to finger point at people", make sure you're pointing that seemingly crooked finger at the right people and not us.

Good Luck wasting your time with the Admins. Rest assured your rants will fall on deaf ears.

i-am-ghey
i-am-ghey
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 42
Melancholy
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 01:49 AM Reply

finally passed the 50,000 B/P milestone. now i am only a little more than three years away from 100k. (assuming a pace of 40 points per day)

some thoughts:
1. it is not necessarily keep track of how many 0's you give each day and limit the number of submissions you protect as long as you vote honestly. the quality of submissions fluctuates from day to day. but...

2. claim: those with a daily pace of ~50 b/p are probably savewhores.
obsevation: among the active users in the list (pace per day >20), about a third earns more than 45 points per day.

i am not sure what the obsevation means, instead, i will let you draw the conclusion (if any). ^.^

^Just another nonsensical forum post.^

DiMono
DiMono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Mar. 31st, 2013 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 3/30/13 01:49 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: 2. claim: those with a daily pace of ~50 b/p are probably savewhores.

Justify this statement. Just because people get a lot of b/p doesn't mean they're savewhores. It means they're voting on a lot of submissions to pass, obviously, but if they're also collecting blams then your argument fails on its face. Many of the people who meet your criteria are also in the top blammers list and/or top protectors list; if you want to speak from your mouth rather than your anus, maybe you should spend some time going through those lists to see how the stats compare in real life, rather than making assumptions based on your "feels."

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Please help fund my horror novel. I'll love you forever.

byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 1st, 2013 @ 12:10 AM Reply

At 3/29/13 03:09 PM, Jin wrote:
At 3/29/13 12:40 PM, Haggard wrote: Ever thought about that not all of the top 100 active voters are online at the same time of the day?
At 3/12/13 05:05 PM, Sentio wrote:
"The slow pace of the portal is really suiting me at the moment. I only visit the portal once a day when I've got home from work, but because everything is hanging around UJ I'm hardly missing any submissions."

Blacklisting eh... big whoop.

After reading all of this excrement - er, excitement concerning bad voting habits and such, I decided to look into the fine person who's trolling this thread. It seems that "Jin" has been around since 2006 (about as long as your's truly) , yet he only has 438 blams and 2633 saves. Now, 3 or 4 years ago, blams were certainly easier to get, since the portal ratio on any day was about 30 blams to 70 saves (about 30% - sometimes better). So what has he been doing these past 6 years? Mainly dumping thousands of one-line posts (most of his 3,700+ are as such) in any thread he decides is worth his attention at the moment.

Pretty much, he has done NOTHING to help improve the site - but he has PLENTY to say about it. Let's face it - I am a statwhore - math is fun - but as many of the members here, a large portion of my 0 and 1 votes are absorbed by so many others who upvote just for the protect points. The number of flashes per day has dropped to about 60 or so - and the number of blams hovers between 2 and 6. I still manage to get a blam or two here and there, but I average about 30 saves a day. The savewhores get 45-50 a day. So there IS a difference.

Unless you've really tried to help the situation, maybe you need to lurk more and read some of the prior posts before jumping to conclusions. Talk is cheap - action is what counts.

To Bahamut:

I can fully understand your disgust about Newgrounds - why keep the list if all it does is fan the flames of savewhores? Maybe you're right. It's a great conversation piece, and it does let us see who's in the ranks and who's climbing or falling. But as much as it may be fun, I (and many others) will support you if you pull the plug on it. I know where I stand, but honestly, this list has no impact on my voting habits. For those who vote fairly, they'll see it the same way. But for the savewhores, well, they'll just have to figure it out on their own.

Maybe we can bug PsychoGoldfish to incorporate some more stat lists directly from the user menus - AND at the same time, allow any user to be OMITTED from the stat lists (keep their info private). But more importantly, maybe he can add some "smart" logic to analyze a user's voting habits (how long are they signed on each day;% of blams and protects gained versus all day maximums; frequency of each vote type; etc) - every user vote gets recorded -and becomes part of the analysis process. The the obvious "ALL PROTECTS" or always-on voting bots (yes, we've seen them before) can be detected and neutralized. It's a perfect setup for data mining.

Anyway, to end my rant, I am all for anything that can help stabilize Newgrounds and keep it running fair - and if that means keeping the savewhores in the dark, then so be it. I won't give up voting fairly, and neither should anyone else. If we do, then we'll let Newgrounds fall to 0 blams per day, and become just a crappy ghetto dump that's as bad as youtube. I'm not going down without a fight!

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 1st, 2013 @ 12:22 AM Reply

At 4/1/13 12:10 AM, byteslinger wrote: yet he only has 438 blams and 2633 saves.

Umm, I don't know if that was a typo and I hate being the one to point it out but you got it wrong.

He actually has 2,633 Blams and 438 Saves. Not Vice Versa. Which is probably why he was having a whinge.

I agree with everything else you said though.

byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 1st, 2013 @ 12:36 AM Reply

At 4/1/13 12:22 AM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 4/1/13 12:10 AM, byteslinger wrote: yet he only has 438 blams and 2633 saves.
Umm, I don't know if that was a typo and I hate being the one to point it out but you got it wrong.

He actually has 2,633 Blams and 438 Saves. Not Vice Versa. Which is probably why he was having a whinge.

Damn, you're right - I wrote it down wrong. My apologies. But still, 2,633 blams in 6+ years isn't really helping our cause.

BBS Signature
LittleWashu
LittleWashu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 1st, 2013 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 4/1/13 12:36 AM, byteslinger wrote:
At 4/1/13 12:22 AM, gamejunkie wrote:

Damn, you're right - I wrote it down wrong. My apologies. But still, 2,633 blams in 6+ years isn't really helping our cause.

I would help out more if I had time, but I don't have it like i used to. So I just deposit and vote on 5 things that are blam worthy but due to those savewhore most get through.

Bahamut if you decide to retire this list I seriously don't blame you friend.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 1st, 2013 @ 10:11 PM Reply

It's funny, this time two years ago I set up an April Fools joke on the B/P update saying I was done with making the updates and was sick of feeding savewhores. Now we've just gone past April Fools for this year and here I am having thoughts to give it up for the same reasons. After two years and a redesign that really should have shaped up the portal's standards, we're still stuck with the same problems and they've hardly improved. If anything, it's worse as a few have established already.

I don't want to think there's little to no care from the admins regarding the state of the portal but if so little has been done all this time, when can we expect something to be changed to try and make things more balanced? The portal should be the main face of the site since it's what brought everyone here to begin with but if things are gonna slide and too much crap is getting through, people are not going to think as highly for the portal as they might have done. While they do feature the better content on the front page, the portal is widely established.

Don't think I'm giving up the updates for this reason alone. While it is one factor, another reason why I'm wanting to drop it is because of how little I enjoy making the updates now. I've been thinking to myself a lot lately and I feel there is so much else I could possibly do. Although I've managed to be reliable with getting these updates on time for the most part, I was willing to put it aside for anything else going on in my life so it wasn't essential that I had to get it done in time every single week/fortnight.

I won't start saying what I've been doing for the last few years has been a waste of my time since I had the willpower to do it for so long and time isn't wasted if you enjoy yourself. However, I'm feeling different now and perhaps it's time to move on. If I can tell things aren't going to improve now, it's best stopping while I'm ahead. I'm pretty sure at least one of you will agree that the whole blacklisting idea only showed I was becoming disgusted with the way things have been for ages and also hinted that I wasn't so fond of making the updates as I once was.

So yeah, this Sunday will be the last B/P update of mine and then it'll either be gone for good or someone who I think has honest intentions can take over. Don't think the one rotten egg here is the cause of all of this but if anything, he showed up at the right time for me since I could have taken a worse approach if otherwise. This has been on my mind for at least a week now and I've yet to have anyone who's trying to encourage me to continue. Hopefully with the time I have that won't be spent on this anymore can go towards something that will do me good. While I am single and on my own, I still want to try and do something really worthwhile in my own time while I have the chance.

Honestly, I have no idea how much left I'm going to dedicate my time to Newgrounds with the way things have been going. I don't hate the staff or anyone who's made this site worth looking at all this time but there comes to a certain point where I feel there's not so much left for me to see now. We're in a different time on the internet as opposed to the better days of the site (i.e. 2003-2005) and as much as I don't like saying it, Newgrounds really is falling behind. I find myself spending more time on social media like Twitter and Facebook since that's where I can spend a great deal of time speaking to friends. I'll have to see how things go with cutting back on things and if I still stick around, I suppose there's still something for me to see here but if not, that's how it'll be.

Formerly Bahamut

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:57 PM Reply

At 4/1/13 10:11 PM, Bahamut wrote: Stuff.

I don't know if this has been mentioned/suggested before, but maybe merging blam and protection points would solve the issue. If every vote on a UJ submission counted as one point regardless of what people voted, then everyone would be free to vote whatever they want to and still be rewarded for it. Anyone autovoting 5 might as well vote neutrally without it having any impact on their points. The only downside I can think of is how much easier collecting points would be, it would then be about voting on as much as possible rather than voting correctly. Opinions?

Always sad to see a list go, but if you gotta do what you gotta do then you gotta do what you gotta do. :/

Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to B/P ranks 51+ Apr. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 4/2/13 01:57 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Opinions?

I don't think merging b/p points into just "generic" points would change anything. Users who are blindly saving everything would just keep on their merry way, without making any effort to judge based on content, so long as they're still gaining points. Seems to me like it would just be masking the fact that nothing gets deleted anymore.

This sig is my identity -what was I thinking getting rid of it??
Holder of the Top 300 BP list.
Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature