00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KushB just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rock Out Winners!

50,768 Views | 249 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 22:52:27

Congrats to all the winners!
i had a lot of fun while this contest was going on, i love playing rhythm games, and there were so many amazing ones produced during this contest, awesome job everyone!!

sig by fremen

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 22:56:18

Oh, I was so annoyed that I forgot to say congratulations to the winners!

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:09:08

At 7/19/07 10:25 PM, EviLudy wrote: Hence, I do protest :(

Woah, that gotmissed. :(

BUT... I feel like an idiot, but I can't get the game to start. Am I missing something on the main menu? I checked ou the level select but nothing I click goes to the game... Man I feel stupid right now.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:17:44

So tom, you going to add the games to the Rhythm Games collection now? Or maybe just the good ones?

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:20:07

At 7/19/07 11:09 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/19/07 10:25 PM, EviLudy wrote: Hence, I do protest :(
Woah, that gotmissed. :(

BUT... I feel like an idiot, but I can't get the game to start. Am I missing something on the main menu? I checked ou the level select but nothing I click goes to the game... Man I feel stupid right now.

Apparently, when you're in the Level Select, you have to use the arrow keys and the spacebar to choose a song.

Congrats to all the winners! I especially liked what got first. =D

~

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:22:02

Lols, -Guitar Man-, the game I made is not even listen on Armorgames.
Oh wells, congrats everybodies.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:29:27

congrats to everyone who won!

sleep 18 hours, party 24

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:37:11

At 7/19/07 08:16 PM, The-EXP wrote: I'm completely the wrong person to point this out - but the pick of destiny was a great game - but it broke copyright after copyright (against the rules) and for what was seemingly no reason, it would have been an awesome game even without Tenacious D naming an imagery...

I actually asked Dan McNeeley (ArmorGames CEO) if it was OK in using the name, and he said it sounded like a great idea. Technically the name isn't copyrighted hehe :) I'm surprised people commented on that until now.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:38:04

Ah, I'm an uneducated used tissue. Please ignore all my posts! :P

I'm not sure about the award to 1812 Overature myself, but I guess its not really my place to say that.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-19 23:44:21

Hey Now,

Congrats to all the winners for doing bang up jobs, I personally think Bombox' game deserved number one. There are a number of games I don't believe belong on the list for the simple reason they infringe on the rules. One of the rules stated on the Armor Games website was that it had to have a Theme of Rock N Roll. A number of the games went techno and hip hop. I don't care as far as the voting goes, just because the Overture game had little time put into it means nothing. They pick what they like based on whatever they want, it's their contest. The only thing I don't like is that the Rock N Roll theme goes out the window.

This ain't a big gripe but that Arockalaps game We Are Legend uses sprites from a game he didn't make, this doesn't infringe on copyrights? Who owns the rights to sprites? I got nothing against that game but it crosses one of the rules provided. I think it sucks that we can't update anything because the size requiremnets have changed. It hurts the games and movies for this change. I get it that you can just click "pop-up" but you still can't by pass the size field limits.

I'm not saying that my game should have won, that's completely out of my hands. But I think at least it should be in the collection. It does fit every criteria asked of it.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/38 8297

Is that too much bitching?

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:07:02

This just came to me...if the winners weren't chosen due to score, then what was the judging criteria?

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:08:35

Congrats to the winners, but I cant say that I agree with the way this contest was decided.

First, it was based on the high score of the submission, so older submissions or submissions that werent on the front page as long fell into obscurity and had more time to be voted down (or up if you're and optimist), while submissions submitted right towards the end had little time to be voted down and were fresh in everyones mind and in plain view.

Second some of the winners really didnt deserve it over others. For example, Transmigration, while an stupendous submission with a kickasss soundtrack was hardly a rythym game, but more of an interactive music video. Also 1812 Overature while simple great fun was extremly subpar in comparison to tons of the other submissons, but probably got a higher score because it was newer and was on the front page right towards the end.

And example of a good submission getting shafted from the grand prize would be We Are Legend which in my opinion had by far the most unique and engaging gameplay out of any submission save Ongaku, but didnt seem to be placed on the front page till somewhere around the 17th (I may be mistaken with the exact date) 2 days after the contest was over and submissions were being judged (unless they didnt finish judging till today in which case its even more skewed because people could still change scores after the contest ended).

Instead I feel that it should have been conducted in the way that NG votes for the monthly winners, except allow all users to vote, or at least be chosen by a group of admins or something instead of just portal scores (in the way that the music prizes were chosen). But I suppose since its armor games contest as well and they were providing prizes they got to choose the method of deciding. Amatures.... >:(

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:19:11

Congrats to all the winners. The new visuals for the audio portal absolutely rock.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:22:48

At 7/20/07 12:07 AM, LilDwarf wrote: This just came to me...if the winners weren't chosen due to score, then what was the judging criteria?

There's a whole list of judging criteria on the Armor Games website, score is only part of the criteria along with originality and some other things. It's good how it turned out because like what many have said there was a number of down voting going on not to mention the whole Re-design. All though it is interesting that the games featured on the front page during the last few days are also winners.

But some games did go against the set rules of the contest and should have been disqualified. Not that they are bad games but only because they do not fit what the contest called for. We Are Legend was kind of smart for calling attention to the game, he felt like he was getting jipped on the score and wanted a higher score and that attention basically gauranteed his winning. Maybe more games should have complained about their score as soon as the re-design came to be.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:29:03

Congrats to the winners but I can't help but feel my game got ignored/(shunned?) (not that it would have won, though I think the music was rocking it would have been nice to see it in the Rock Out Category). But I digress. Congratulations to everyone who participated.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:35:52

At 7/20/07 12:08 AM, ornery-scotsman wrote: Instead I feel that it should have been conducted in the way that NG votes for the monthly winners, except allow all users to vote, or at least be chosen by a group of admins or something instead of just portal scores (in the way that the music prizes were chosen). But I suppose since its armor games contest as well and they were providing prizes they got to choose the method of deciding. Amatures.... >:(

The judging seems to have relied little on portal scores - my game scored higher than "-Play the Game-", for instance, but it still didn't rank. I was under the impression that judging occurred under a group of admins - AG admins, that is to say - correct me if I'm wrong. Conducting a vote similar to the monthly winners would not have worked any better than portal scores (there doesn't seem to be much difference between portal scores and monthly voting anyway) - due to competitors "downvoting" each other.

I understand now that the NG collection page isn't done because Tom has been way too busy with the redesign, but my game wasn't listed on the AG contest page either, while submissions that were submitted after mine are there - I hope it wasn't completely overlooked? :(

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:42:59

ill never get it

im not the best. im better.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:44:48

At 7/20/07 12:35 AM, Septenary wrote:
At 7/20/07 12:08 AM, ornery-scotsman wrote:
The judging seems to have relied little on portal scores - my game scored higher than "-Play the Game-", for instance, but it still didn't rank. I was under the impression that judging occurred under a group of admins - AG admins, that is to say - correct me if I'm wrong.

Its highly possible you are right and I am the one who is mistaken, although I do remeber hearing/ reading somewhere that it would be based on scores.

Conducting a vote similar to the monthly winners would not have worked any better than portal scores (there doesn't seem to be much difference between portal scores and monthly voting anyway) - due to competitors "downvoting" each other.

The difference with a monthly winner style vote and just plain old score votes is that there is no way to downvote someone in the monthly winner section, and it gives users a chance to look over submissions they may have forgotten about/ been unable to locate/ missed altogether.

I understand now that the NG collection page isn't done because Tom has been way too busy with the redesign, but my game wasn't listed on the AG contest page either, while submissions that were submitted after mine are there - I hope it wasn't completely overlooked? :(

Chances are if it was voted on by a group of judges or admins it wasnt overlooked, and if they had run it in a monthly voting style it would also be unlikely it got overlooked. But if it is based on scores than it would be users overlooking/forgetting about yours.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:53:55

Just wanted to point everyone again to Tom's post about voting for my animation on Famecast. VOting ends in 11 hours and it's gonna be a tight race! It's quick to vote, and it would really help us out (plus you'd make Tom cry if you didn't)

http://famecast.com/contest/centerstage.
php?stage_id=17&round_id=89

Vote for Arvin Bautista's Fetal: Special Edition!

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 00:59:04

At 7/20/07 12:44 AM, ornery-scotsman wrote: The difference with a monthly winner style vote and just plain old score votes is that there is no way to downvote someone in the monthly winner section, and it gives users a chance to look over submissions they may have forgotten about/ been unable to locate/ missed altogether.

Oh, my mistake. :P I'm not that high leveled, so I don't know how the process works. Thanks for clearing that up!

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:05:56

Yow, just barely made the list. I have $11 to my name, so this is great even if I didn't win a grand prize. Thanks armorgames!

This'll probably be the last contest I enter though. They're too stressful. People don't play fair. Too much downvoting to increase their own chances. My score took a kick to the nuts because of that. I even almost pulled my game out a couple times. And score didn't even matter in the end! Oh irony...

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:13:21

Woah awesome prizes there
Gratz to the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:13:45

At 7/19/07 06:40 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Congrats to all the winners.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:22:06

Wow, I wish I had flash & was good at it. You should give out 5 bucks or something to everyone in the contest

c

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:37:15

I usually stay out of public contests, because there always 'seems' to be a bit of a biased attitude or unfair scoring. Like everyone else posting here, I don't understand how some won over others. However, I must deliver some trust to their final decision.

One thing I do agree with is having Ongaku being in the #1 spot. I know I voted 'Ongaku' a little bit low on Newgrounds, but I agree it was the best overall scoring Rhythm game that I looked at. I was glad 'Play This Game' made the list. It was really fun and creative.

Well anyways... congrats to the winners. Like I always tell people, I won a PS2 in a drawing contest (shortly after its release) and its time for someone else to win.

Ok enough talking... its time for them to send out the next contest!

Something that isn't remembered never happened, and if you aren't remembered, then you never existed.

- Serial Experiment Lain

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:39:51

I think CoolioDJ should have been in the winners for the 360. CoolioNiato is my fav Flash Artist.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:46:08

Cobgrats to the winners.

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 01:52:06

Which sprites are those exactly? The flames (which were released by SNK under fair use principles, by the way) are the only sprites that weren't hand drawn.

This ain't a big gripe but that Arockalaps game We Are Legend uses sprites from a game he didn't make, this doesn't infringe on copyrights? Who owns the rights to sprites? I got nothing against that game but it crosses one of the rules provided. I think it sucks that we can't update anything because the size requiremnets have changed. It hurts the games and movies for this change.

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 02:08:47

I wish I was good at flash. ;_;

!!! Homepage !!! Myspace !!! Alliance !!! Miniman !!! Last.fm !!! Email !!

BBS Signature

Response to Rock Out Winners! 2007-07-20 02:16:19

THY 250 DOLLAR "YOU LOST BUT NICE SPIRIT" MONEY SHALL FINANCE THE TRIO OF FIERCE VIKINGS IN THEIR VENTURE TO PUMMEL ALL OTHER WINNINGS SUBMISSIONS, ESPECIALLY THE MORE WOMANLY ONES("ONGAKU" MORE LIKE "WENCH IN THE KITCHEN MAKING SANDWICHES AND COMPLAINING ABOUT EQUAL RIGHTS") UNTIL THEY HAND OVER THEIR DAMN LUNCH MONEY. LAUGH WHILE YOU CAN MORTALS, THY END IS AT HAND.

NEXT STOP ON OUR ASS KICKING TOUR IS COMICCON, PREPARE THYSELF THOMAS FULP

btw thx for the bux, I am glad we won anything at all but my pals may seem bitter about it :[[[[[
also: tf is w/ the deadline hax

Rock Out Winners!