New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mabuisakura
Mabuisakura
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:36 PM Reply

There is a new coming law banning anytype of file sharing program by using software on your own computer and that if you either try to remove it or download something illegal the police are notified. If you want to check this out please go to www.stoppoliceware.org and sign the petition. Thank you

LLStarks
LLStarks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:41 PM Reply

People with anti-filesharing beliefs should burn in hell!

Founder of the Newgrounds Anime Club

BBS Signature
Mr-Chuckles
Mr-Chuckles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:45 PM Reply

I think they are blufing this law and if they aren't, I've always want to meet a guy named Bubba.

AntiTanner
AntiTanner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:46 PM Reply

I think record/movie companies need to take a different approach. SPECIAL PACKAGING. People download CDs and movies, because they dont care if they dont have a stupid case with like 2-3 page booklet.

Metallica actually had a good idea with St Anger, to bundle in a DVD. Too bad i heard its all crap. But still.

LLStarks
LLStarks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:53 PM Reply

The music industry must accept that swapping MP3s is very profittable! IT'S THE WAY OF THE FUTURE!

Filesharing: 999999999999
Congress: 1 (Napster)

BBS Signature
Lord-Miroku-Sama
Lord-Miroku-Sama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:53 PM Reply

This fucking sucks>:( I can't believe those fuckers are doing this>:( I hope those assholes burn in hell>:(
What files are going to be outlawed because I file share all the time. I usually download subbed anime that hasn't been fucked up by US censoring yet so will I still be able to? Also when will this take effect?

fourchinnigan
fourchinnigan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Filmmaker
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:57 PM Reply

Talk about mixed messages:
All your life, people tell you it's good to share. When people finally start sharing, they make it illegal. It's so sad.

SIn-in-a-Half
SIn-in-a-Half
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 07:57 PM Reply

my god this sucks but you know it won't last people all over can't live with out file sharing.congress can't stop us,no one can.

bodom-child
bodom-child
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 08:00 PM Reply

isn't like everything file sharing? when yah think about it

BBS Signature
LLStarks
LLStarks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 08:02 PM Reply

That's why over 130,000 people have signed the petition...

BBS Signature
fourchinnigan
fourchinnigan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Filmmaker
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 6/16/03 08:00 PM, Primus_Frog wrote: isn't like everything file sharing? when yah think about it

Pretty much.
If Congress isn't careful, they may write a bill that inadvertently makes the internet illegal.

shak3s
shak3s
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 6/16/03 07:41 PM, Kouga-kun wrote: People with anti-filesharing beliefs should burn in hell!

It's your kind of thinking that has brought this whole issue to becomming a law. If developers and persons that survive on the bleeding edge of technology can't profit from their work all the good stuff will go away. Stealing, or filesharing as some like to call it, only takes away from the opportunity for us all to grow into a better society, with the absence of reward for creative work.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 6/16/03 08:05 PM, fourchinnigan wrote:
Pretty much.
If Congress isn't careful, they may write a bill that inadvertently makes the internet illegal.

Hahaha see what happens when the damned money-grubbing bastards are foiled by teenagers. And no matter how many people sign that petition, it won't make a difference. Let's just hope some little teenager finds a way around it and spreads it all over the net. Hehehe.

I mean, because the music compagines want to rack up some more dough, they make the whole concept of filesharing illegal. Pretty soon, Newgrounds will be illegal.... and the googles will charge for each search... and hotmail will be crappy... crappier...

BBS Signature
DuMa-RyoHahn
DuMa-RyoHahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 09:54 PM Reply

come on people their is no way in hell that, that law will pass. file sharing will always be around. that is an invasion of privacy and it will never pass. thank god my comp is still just a year old which means I will have it for quite some time and no one will stop me. if by some chance that law does pass. then everyone who si getting a PC after that is S.O.L

Red-Faction
Red-Faction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 10:01 PM Reply

Meh, its never gonna happen, this is just like the Napster thing, and look, after napster, 100 more filesharing programs poped up. so dont worry about it.

MAYORMCHEESE
MAYORMCHEESE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 11:15 PM Reply

At 6/16/03 10:01 PM, Red_Faction wrote: Meh, its never gonna happen, this is just like the Napster thing, and look, after napster, 100 more filesharing programs poped up. so dont worry about it.

That and you can still use Napster if you have the right tools...

unban russianspy22

BBS Signature
LLStarks
LLStarks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 11:24 PM Reply

I knew that, but is it worth it anymore?

BBS Signature
Bungled
Bungled
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 11:45 PM Reply

fuck it. if it's illegal then people will find a way around it...as with every illegal thing.

Troll-axethrower
Troll-axethrower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 16th, 2003 @ 11:55 PM Reply

This is so retarted, god damn assholes think they can stop filesharing. HAHA the dipshits could end up backfiring if this law passes, many people would be without software they need to develop things, the whole economy could shutdown. Im damn sure at least this site would be forced to shutdown, most users would be flashless, cause $500 is a lot. The only way this thing could pass is if all the software prices fell drasticly. Then it would be more conceivable to people to pay the $50 for a program that was previously $500.

allpro
allpro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 12:23 AM Reply

i live in candad so idont have to care...

ever mistake a spoon for a straw and try and sip it ?

BBS Signature
LordAba
LordAba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 6/16/03 07:36 PM, Mabuisakura wrote: There is a new coming law banning anytype of file sharing program by using software on your own computer and that if you either try to remove it or download something illegal the police are notified. If you want to check this out please go to www.stoppoliceware.org and sign the petition. Thank you

Man, this has been in debate for a LONG time. You guys need to start paying more attention! Bills like this have been through the burner(and some passed) for a while.
Don't change the laws, change the system.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature
a-butt-lmao
a-butt-lmao
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 01:49 AM Reply

So now how will a poor 56ker like myself get the latest (200mb) game patches from?

BIGMANBRAINY
BIGMANBRAINY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 01:54 AM Reply

holly shit! theres 113000+ signitures on that petition! come on, keep signing! it could work.

Tool-Of-The-System
Tool-Of-The-System
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:02 AM Reply

Hah! Those money hungry bastards still aren't happy with destroying Napster.

It's because of corporate fatcats that some people are laying homeless while some white-collar's wiping their ass with everyone else's hard-earned cash.

What's really going to piss every American off is that they'll know police will be watching their activity night and day... which is total rape of freedom and privacy in the first place.

So yeah, people... sign the fucking petition if you want to keep your computer.

LordAba
LordAba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:13 AM Reply

Too bad they can already look at your computer....
A law passed a while ago that lets any police force moniter your computer usage without the need of a court order.
And they arn't going to pass anything file sharing or manditory government spyware. Remember, they already know who you are if you start file sharing...

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature
llama
llama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 6/16/03 07:57 PM, fourchinnigan wrote: Talk about mixed messages:
All your life, people tell you it's good to share. When people finally start sharing, they make it illegal. It's so sad.

Sharings is good... as long as it doesn't interfere with profits.... As for any anti-file sharing law, it will never happen simply because every teenager in North America does it. Police don't have the resources to track hundereds of million computers and prosecute anyone who shares a file.

llama
llama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:21 AM Reply

At 6/16/03 08:17 PM, shak3s wrote:
At 6/16/03 07:41 PM, Kouga-kun wrote: People with anti-filesharing beliefs should burn in hell!
It's your kind of thinking that has brought this whole issue to becomming a law. If developers and persons that survive on the bleeding edge of technology can't profit from their work all the good stuff will go away. Stealing, or filesharing as some like to call it, only takes away from the opportunity for us all to grow into a better society, with the absence of reward for creative work.

What the hell are you talking about!? Before file sharing, the underground was exactly that, underground. Now I have access to any bands music when I want. I download some of thier songs, and if I like it, I go buy thier cd. I don't think if a band sells 1000000 cds instead of 1020000 they'll be too upset.

llama
llama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:22 AM Reply

At 6/17/03 12:23 AM, allpro wrote: i live in candad so idont have to care...

I can almost garuntee Canada will follow suit to please the rich Americans. Any problem in the US, is a problem here unfortunatley.

Pete117
Pete117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:24 AM Reply

*sigh* Down with the man... *yawns*

Hey, I love filesharing, but I'm not going to get all pissed if they ban it. But they probebly aren't, like what the guy above me said, there are to many people for the cops to come after. Everyone does it.

Hyper-Anthony
Hyper-Anthony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to law banning filesharing Jun. 17th, 2003 @ 02:32 AM Reply

Th at would be a VERY WIDESCALE invasion of privacy. "Oh I'm a big man, cause I'm the law and I can do whatever the hell I want!"

...yeah right.