00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Redesign Launched!

124,422 Views | 963 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Redesign Launched! 2007-07-16 21:56:14

Take a deep breath, soak it in, and start browsing the new NG! We tried really hard to avoid making any of the changes too drastic, so you should be able to find everything where you're accustomed to finding it.

We've rebuilt Newgrounds from the ground up. Every page has been coded from scratch and is now 100% valid html - even the forums! On the back-end, just about everything has been rebuilt from scratch. Some of these changes aren't noticeable to the user, but they play a large role in our plans moving forward. You WILL hopefully notice the site running faster - this is not only a result of the CSS and back-end programming, but also upgrades and changes to the server hardware and software configuration.

We've finally introduced USER PAGES! Check out tomfulp.newgrounds.com for an example. Everyone now has their own page with username.newgrounds.com as the address. This page showcases your contributions to the site and offers a space to share your thoughts and news with the world!

Here's a quick tour of some of the things you should notice:

FRONT PAGE, LEFT SIDE

1) The site news is summarized in the upper left of the page, now visible to people who didn't scroll down or browse the forums in the past. P-Bot's post and the latest staff news are mirrored at the bottom of the page.

2) Bytesize has returned! If you see a movie you like, click on it and you will be sent to the artist's user page! If you like the music, there's a button for that as well. Submissions will be added over time and other musicians will be showcased. If you think the window is obnoxious, simply click the STOP button and it will save the OFF status for the next time you visit. Right now we default to ON because we want everyone to see it. :)

3) The Latest Submissions list has been expanded and now includes blue and green highlights under the best new submissions!

4) We've done away with the old "affiliate" system and now EVERYONE who contributes Flash and music has the opporunity to post news via the Artist News box! Like the main site news, users will have to click through to read the entire piece on the artist's user page.

FRONT PAGE, RIGHT SIDE

1) We've split movies and games into two boxes. Movies are on top because games tend to get more traffic regardless of where we show them. We are currently giving movies more space because the movie submissions outnumber the game submissions by more than 2:1.

2) The featured music and featured series and collections spaces have been expanded!

FLASH PORTAL

1) The main listing now includes icon previews when you scroll over submissions.

2) The view page features a new format for viewing submissions. We think it enhances the theatrical experience of viewing submissions, but if you don't like it, there is a link to open the traditional pop-up window.

3) Writing reviews, voting and adding submissions to your favorites lists are now all implemented with AJAX, meaning you can do it without leaving the page. This should result in a more pleasant experience; we expect more people to do all three. :)

AUDIO PORTAL

1) A-Bot has been brought to life on the Audio Portal front page! Not only will A-Bot auto-play songs from the weekly top five, he will do it with a real-time audio visualization! If you don't like the auto-play feature, click the "Stop Music" button and A-Bot will remember your status next time you visit the page.

2) All songs now have their own pages and audio visualizations! This takes the Audio Portal to a whole new level, where songs are easier to link to and listening is more fun. The new audio player allows you to skip to any point in the song, or loop it. Click the visualization to access a menu and choose different visualizations, or set the visualization transition timer and song volume.

3) You can now add songs and musicians to your favorites!!!

GAMES & TOONS

1) The Games and Toons sections both feature a weekly top five at the top of the page.

2) Both also include a "Hot Off the Front Page" box, showcasing submissions that were recently on the front page.

COLLECTIONS & SERIES

1) There is now a list of new collections and new series at the top of each page, respectively.

2) Individual collection and series pages now include an UPDATES box, featuring the latest additions to the page.

FORUMS

1) The new level icons are now in full effect! This seems to be the only feature most people cared about. We now have 60 levels and we've ditched the user-generated curve, so you won't LOSE levels when you're inactive. Go check out your new level and ACCEPT YOUR FATE.

2) You will need to upload a new forum sig. The recommended size is 599 wide by 50 tall and it must currently be a static image.

Beyond all these changes, there are lots of subtle little things you will find as you browse the site. Stuff like the expansive downloads section and the completely over-the-top staff page. Heck, a lucky few might even stumble across some easter eggs!

And NO, it's not all here. After pushing the launch date back numerous times, we decided that launching after Comic-Con wouldn't be an option. As a result, you WILL stumble across a few dead links and features that haven't been fully implemented yet... You will notice some gray links on your account options page, but we decided none of it was important enough to warrant further delays.

If you find a major mistake on the site, PM Bob about it and he'll serve as our filter for what issues arise.

Respond to this thread with your feedback and be sure to thank Ross and James for the tireless programming they have been doing for months now! Also thank Bob for the tireless CSS, Stamper for the beautiful design, Mike for the amazing audio visualizer, JohnnyUtah and MindChamber for the art pieces sprinkled across the new layout and Tim for setting up the new servers and hosting configuration!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-16 22:09:31

First reply.

Redesign Launched!

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:06:22

OH GOD YES! Way to go people!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:06:31

I can almost hear the office party. Everything looks great guys, well done.

always behind schedule.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:06:56

This is amazing. AMAZING!

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:24

Good on you Tommy boy.

A

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:27

sweet

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:28

Holy fucking shit!

I have shat my pants.

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:29

I fucking knew you'd pull through.

Up for 2 days off and on Paltalk.

Hell yeah, man.

Scumbag Blues.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:29

This is so amazing. I can't believe it.

*Sucks cock*

BBS Mod, PM me if you have something to report.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:31

It's beautiful.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:33

fourth reply! Awsome Redesign!

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:34

Fucking beautiful! Awesome work, Tom!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:41

NICE WORK TOM!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:40

Holy shit. I need a moment for all of this to sink in.
:D

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:36

Seckz?!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:41

Tom, I'm literally orgasming.

<3

speedycat sure is speedy!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:36

Yay, finally! This looks interesting, I'll be checking out all the new features.

BECOME A FAN OF SWFUP ON FACEBOOK

FOLLOW SWFUP ON TWITTER

Incorporating the most advanced features of any .SWF uploader

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:44

WOAHH tom it look really cool.

wewdiewg

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:44

Second reply :O

It's awesome, it might take us a couple days to get used to it.

Now I must go make use of the changes in the Audio Portal, great work, Tom, Wade, Stamper, and Lijim, and anyone else involved!

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:38

ooooh fancy....brilliant , worth the wait, you must have worked very hard.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:50

It's finally here. And my god, is it ever beautiful.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:40

WOO!
Its finally here!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:48

Wow, now you can actually say its a NewGround

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:49

No way! I cant believe my eyes!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:53

Wow tom.. Everyone who worked on this.. It's amazing.. I Still need to check up v on more features but this is real nice! Great job :)

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:07:55

Yeah Tomfulp great job everyone! Heres to the admins who completed the new layout.

http://xat.com/thetoc2_hangout promoting guitar hero world tour, save up to 20% when you pre-order here

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:08:00

Loving the custom icons for the admins. Everything looks great, and thank you to all who stayed up til they passed out - working so hard on it. :)

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:08:03

i waited for this, well it is better than the old one

-[[<3 Rena]]-

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Launched! 2007-07-17 16:08:00

Fanny

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature