• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-18 20:38:16 Reply

At 12/18/08 08:26 PM, orlyman wrote:
At 12/18/08 04:56 PM, Penboy wrote: 7. Heaven

I want heaven to have coffee.
This is beyond awesome. I love your simple bold style as well as the great colors, if you don't mind me asking, what programs do you use?

Thanks, I use Flash 8 :)

Saint-Pig
Saint-Pig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-19 01:33:14 Reply

i like your drawing and how simple they are but they are cool and dont need that much work to make them cool

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-19 05:58:19 Reply

At 12/18/08 08:48 PM, threadwood wrote: i am a fan, penboy. i like how you rarely, if ever, use black outlines.

I'm glad you noticed :) The colour slider's a really cool thing

At 12/19/08 01:33 AM, Saint-Pig wrote: i like your drawing and how simple they are but they are cool and dont need that much work to make them cool

You'd be surprised; an average picture for me would take about 20 minutes, but for larger pieces it can take a few hours.

I might as well add some more art stuff - this is a gif of a castle exploding for a game I'm making.

Penboy's art thread

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 01:41:24 Reply

hello

Penboy's art thread

hijackreaper
hijackreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 01:47:31 Reply

Your work improved and degraded, at the same time.
Eh.

As you keep going, the drawings you make keep getting more casual and casual, as well as sloppy. It's hard to tell how this makes it all look good. I personally think it's the sheer simplicity, only with effort.

Make me a sandwich, damnit.

BBS Signature
Spartan204
Spartan204
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 01:58:05 Reply

At 12/29/08 01:41 AM, Penboy wrote: hello

Probably my favorite in this thread (right after the "This is how you eat cake" one of course :]). Anyhow, I love all your art and I was just wondering, what kind of a tablet do you use?

Newgrounds | PM me for a forum signature

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 02:52:03 Reply

At 12/29/08 01:47 AM, hijackreaper wrote: Your work improved and degraded, at the same time.
Eh.

As you keep going, the drawings you make keep getting more casual and casual, as well as sloppy. It's hard to tell how this makes it all look good. I personally think it's the sheer simplicity, only with effort.

That's some great advice you've given me, thankyou; I'll remeber it. I don't know what you mean by sloppy though. Do you mean my numbered pictures like "7. Heaven" etc?

At 12/29/08 01:58 AM, Spartan204 wrote:
At 12/29/08 01:41 AM, Penboy wrote: hello
Probably my favorite in this thread (right after the "This is how you eat cake" one of course :]). Anyhow, I love all your art and I was just wondering, what kind of a tablet do you use?

I use a genius tablet, but I'm not sure of the size. It might be 5x4; It's smaller than my hand, if that puts it into perspective. I want to buy a bigger one soon :)

This is one of Jon Burgerman's creatures from his gallery in Tokyo. I'll be doing more of these.

Penboy's art thread

hijackreaper
hijackreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 03:17:47 Reply

At 12/29/08 02:52 AM, Penboy wrote: I don't know what you mean by sloppy though. Do you mean my numbered pictures like "7. Heaven" etc?

At first sight, these pictures look much too simple to really get much attention, as if they were thrown together in most-likely less than ten minutes.
But when you look into the pictures a little more, study some of the things mentioned/drawn, and just.. think. When you look pat your casual eyes, into your artist's perception, you suddenly unerstand everything.
Every one of these pictures delivers a message, even if it's unintended by the artist. In fact, most artists don't even know they've delivered a message or not, especially with my personal works.
Take your cake picture, for instance. At first - a rather quick, if you would - glance, it's simply a humurous picture out of the blue. But when yo throw away those visuals and look into what it is, you see an inspiring thought or two.

In that particular drawing, the message itself is old but well-thought, known as "Strive to be different." or "Be yourself." If you want to eat your cake with two hands, who the hell's stopping you?

So basically, sloppy means that feeling of the drawing when basically overlooked - Simple, uninteresting, lazy. Listening only to what the story says, not delving deep into the beautiful arwork that it can, and was MEANT to be.

Make me a sandwich, damnit.

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 03:44:30 Reply

Hijackreaper, what you said would have to be the best thoughts and advise anyone has ever given to me about my art, thankyou.

This is another one of Jon B's characters.

this going against what you said Hijack, I know, so I'll have some original stuff done soon ;)

Penboy's art thread

Niemanns
Niemanns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2008-12-29 17:46:13 Reply

Hmm..
3 questions, hope you'll answer them all.

1. What program do you use?
2. What tool do you use?
3. .. i dont effing know??.. ehmm.. ( random ) I LIKE YOUR BLOBS!!..

( wait.. wtf, that wasnt a question.. )

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2009-07-23 07:31:27 Reply

Hmm..
3 questions, hope you'll answer them all.

Oh hey

1. What program do you use?

Flash 8

2. What tool do you use?

Brush

3. .. i dont effing know??.. ehmm.. ( random ) I LIKE YOUR BLOBS!!..

( wait.. wtf, that wasnt a question.. )

A time paradox will ensue.

Anyway I haven't posted here in a while, this is a picture I drew for a friend, who has a disturbing fascination with raptors from Jurassic Park.

Penboy's art thread

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2009-07-23 07:39:54 Reply

Yay for penboy!
having only been active here for 6 months, once in a while a thread gets revived which hadnt been active since I have been. You can imagine the pleasant surprise of "discovering" these threads such as your own.
Nice work, and be sure to post more often then once every 6 months.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2009-07-23 07:46:18 Reply

At 7/23/09 07:39 AM, J-qb wrote: Yay for penboy!
having only been active here for 6 months, once in a while a thread gets revived which hadnt been active since I have been. You can imagine the pleasant surprise of "discovering" these threads such as your own.

Thanks man :D

Nice work, and be sure to post more often then once every 6 months.

Yeah I'll have to get in the habit to post more. This is all I have for now ;)

Penboy's art thread

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2009-08-11 04:22:58 Reply

Just a comic I made for my site until Google ate it. :(

Penboy's art thread

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-03-31 03:56:37 Reply

This is a character sheet for a game I'm making. Look at those holes - the detail is glorious. When you play the game you can barely see them though.

Penboy's art thread

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-03-31 04:54:24 Reply

At 3/31/10 03:56 AM, Penboy wrote: This is a character sheet for a game I'm making. Look at those holes - the detail is glorious. When you play the game you can barely see them though.

nicities,
That hellarcopter reminds me of those in dan paladins love tank game...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-25 03:52:15 Reply

walking

Penboy's art thread

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-25 04:15:13 Reply

Holy shit! Penboy has an art thread :O You've got some really great stuff in here. You've defiantly improved since I first heard about you when I saw Carnage and downloaded it and then decompiled it so I could examine how you and Snubby did explosions so cool... and so now when I do explosions or similar particle effects like the yellow on in the first post here it is based of your stuff ;D

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-25 04:32:06 Reply

I quite like some of the stuff you have in this thread. (Such as that character sheet .I liked the design of the helicopter in particular.) I know you draw in Flash, as you mentioned before, but out of curiousity, do you ever go over the brush line work with the Sub-selection tool?

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-25 04:59:37 Reply

At 10/25/10 04:15 AM, CloudEater wrote: and so now when I do explosions or similar particle effects like the yellow on in the first post here it is based of your stuff ;D

Haha that's cool as! I had fun making that collab.

At 10/25/10 04:32 AM, Dexter3000 wrote: I know you draw in Flash, as you mentioned before, but out of curiousity, do you ever go over the brush line work with the Sub-selection tool?

I've never used the white arrow before (that's what it is right?). I usually just zoom in with an eraser and go from there.

Here's something else I drew today.

Penboy's art thread

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-25 05:08:21 Reply

I've never used the white arrow before (that's what it is right?). I usually just zoom in with an eraser and go from there.

Here's something else I drew today.

Oh, right. I was just curious. I tend to use it when I draw in Flash to even out the thickness of the linework.

I like the expressions in that drawing there. The background colours seem a little distracting, but that may just be me. Pretty cool drawing anyway.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-25 06:11:04 Reply

Nice stuff man, and you've got a really flexible style going on :3. However, I would say to watch your consistency in line thickness (for example, the top of the walking guy's head compared to the rest of his body) because, while Flash is great for creating quick and easy vectors, you still have to watch your lines or, well, it won't turn out so good.

Also suggest experimenting with shading, all types of shading, and background/background props to give your characters a sense of placement.

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-26 07:25:26 Reply

At 10/25/10 06:11 AM, Lintire wrote: Nice stuff man, and you've got a really flexible style going on :3. However, I would say to watch your consistency in line thickness
Also suggest experimenting with shading, all types of shading, and background/background props to give your characters a sense of placement.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't really put it to use in this picture but I get what you mean.

Penboy's art thread

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-27 07:15:32 Reply

wat

Penboy's art thread

Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-27 13:04:48 Reply

I dig these last three pictures. Great style man :D

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations nilfisk

BBS Signature
Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-27 21:43:45 Reply

At 10/27/10 01:04 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: I dig these last three pictures. Great style man :D

Thanks. I didn't have much time to finish this one up, with the lines and face, but the concept is still there.

Penboy's art thread

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-28 07:40:12 Reply

woosh

Penboy's art thread

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-10-28 08:18:11 Reply

I like the childlike surrealism that's present in all of your pieces - really ties them together, and gives me soemthing to smile at, I guess. You do seem to stick to a set amount of characters, but hell, it's all good. Guy in a suit wearing a jetpack = fun times.

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Penboy's art thread 2010-12-21 17:41:56 Reply

something quick

Penboy's art thread

Penboy
Penboy
  • Offline.