New Topic Respond to this Topic
BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
The police have too much power 2003-06-06 02:24:53 Reply

What im saying is that police do not have enough accountability. They tend to be people that have personality disorders, and so they use the laws for thier own selfish purposes. These people threaten kids, and so we give them guns?!?! They are given too many privilages that they arent able to use correctly. Im sure that everyone has a bit to say about this, so here ya go...

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 02:59:33 Reply

At 6/6/03 02:24 AM, BWS wrote: What im saying is that police do not have enough accountability. They tend to be people that have personality disorders, and so they use the laws for thier own selfish purposes. These people threaten kids, and so we give them guns?!?! They are given too many privilages that they arent able to use correctly. Im sure that everyone has a bit to say about this, so here ya go...

Well... this is a post for me to say... Why give them guns? Only select police have guns here in the UK, like the ones outside 10 Downing Street and a few select ones dealing with major offences or shoot-outs (which almost NEVER happen here.)

Anyway, should we arm people with guns or not. I say only very few, and give them a background check and even then only arm them when you need to.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 03:08:16 Reply

Your right! Why give them guns; I cant think of a reason why either. You see, the police tend to dwell on the trivial things and try to glorify themselves. The are basicly on power trips. Im glad that I got a response; maybe this topic will stay alive for a few! But yes, your right. They need to separate the power a bit more and give guns to the elite ones that are responsable (and intelligent enough to know their actual purpose). Plus, laws need to become less open to inturpretation. Ok y'all, take the mic!!!

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 16:26:49 Reply

Come on people, I know you have something to say about cops. If you have something to say, go ahead and say it!

A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
A-Carrot-By-Dr-Riot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 17:18:00 Reply

Yay, objective law. Who'd of thunk it.

But seriously, that's pretty much the only part of your post I agree with.

Dr. Arbitary

Miles
Miles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 17:41:33 Reply

At 6/6/03 02:24 AM, BWS wrote: These people threaten kids, and so we give them guns?!?!

yeah lets take away there guns! the police can get the criminals with just billy clubs! are you ignorant? the avaerage criminal can easly attian sub machine guns and bullet proof vest's. the police rarely use there guns, while criminals are always useing them. i feel alot safe knowing my police men are carrying guns around rather then just billy clubs

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 18:38:07 Reply

Well, I think it's better for cops to have guns than not, since most thugs and criminals have them. ONly fair.
Now, I don't know where you got your sources about cops being power abusing and all... And people with disorders. While you're at it, you can badmouth the judges too, and maybe some leaders, who have waaaaay more power than a simple cop.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think cops should have guns ( in the US at least, since EVEYONE seems to have a gun).

you're generalizing,and I know that if YOU were a cop, you'd like to have a gun to protect yourself.

BBS Signature
Nirvana13666
Nirvana13666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 19:32:46 Reply

Man I could become a cop if I wanted to, get a gun and shoot up the whole damn place. Police abuse their power cause they know most of the time they can cover it up because the city doesn't wanna look bad. The cops carry alot of pride and even if you tell them off without breaking the law they wanna hassle you. There are too many incedents where police abuse their power but people just forget about it after a while. I mean cops should have to go through massive tests and training. They should not have an opinion they should just uphold the law and protect the peace.

rangi
rangi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 19:33:42 Reply

Cops in NZ only have guns when really serious shit goes down. A guy got shot dead last year by a cop though , so it does happen from time to time. The cop was never convicted funnily enough , depsite the whole murdering him. The guy was just drunk and smashing windows with a baseball bat.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-06 22:32:24 Reply

yeah lets take away there guns! the police can get the criminals with just billy clubs! are you ignorant? the avaerage criminal can easly attian sub machine guns and bullet proof vest's. the police rarely use there guns, while criminals are always useing them. i feel alot safe knowing my police men are carrying guns around rather then just billy clubs

First of all, Im saying that there needs to be certain ones that have guns, and certain ones that dont. I know, we have swat and whatnot, but im saying this about police. The regular ones that deal with everyday situations should not have them. The ones that do carry them ought to have higher accountability, and submit to psychological testing. You can find loopholes in this model, but every government system will have loopholes.

torq
torq
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 02:20:29 Reply

As long as it's legal to own guns in the United States (and it will be for a long time since it's in the Bill of Rights), it would be ridiculous to take away the guns of the police. The guns are the last thing I'm worried about. A cop won't shoot you unless he has a REALLY good reason to, even the crookedest cop. Partially because he doesn't want to fill out all the paperwork and go to court.

However, I definitely agree that cops have too much power. Mainly, the 'reasonable cause' part of the job. If you refuse them the right to search your vehicle, they'll do it anyway saying they had a suspicion there was something illegal in there when you refused it. And they have no right to go through all of my shit, goddamnit. Fuck the police.

I've never had a cop help me when I needed it. All they do is fine me and threaten to take me to jail.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 02:22:05 Reply

At 6/6/03 05:18 PM, Dr_Arbitrary wrote: Yay, objective law. Who'd of thunk it.

But seriously, that's pretty much the only part of your post I agree with.

Dr. Arbitary

Yes, ive jumped to a few conclusions and generalizations, but a lot of them do fall into those catagories. As for the topic of objective law, and someone else said something about this as well, they cant really solve the problem unless laws are written in such a way that loopholes cant be used for the convienience of police, judges, lawyers, and who ever else. What was it that you didnt agree with? Im not trying to start a pissing contest, Im just curious what it is and why. Maybe you can teach me something, maybe I can teach you something, who knows.

wdfcverfgtghm
wdfcverfgtghm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 03:46:24 Reply

The police have too much accountablity and too much vicarious power.

The police have to put up with peoples bullshit all day so they end up acting like assholes to people all day, then they make up bullshit laws. In order for police to act civil people should act civily towards them.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 11:08:25 Reply

At 6/7/03 03:46 AM, AnRkeyPenguin wrote: The police have to put up with peoples bullshit all day so they end up acting like assholes to people all day, then they make up bullshit laws. In order for police to act civil people should act civily towards them.

Police don't make up laws at all. Governments make up laws, police enforce them.

wdfcverfgtghm
wdfcverfgtghm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 11:12:35 Reply

At 6/7/03 11:08 AM, bumcheekycity wrote:
At 6/7/03 03:46 AM, AnRkeyPenguin wrote: The police have to put up with peoples bullshit all day so they end up acting like assholes to people all day, then they make up bullshit laws. In order for police to act civil people should act civily towards them.
Police don't make up laws at all. Governments make up laws, police enforce them.

perhaps your 14 year old naiveity has allowed you to live in such innocese. Police make up laws at their whim and the courts will back them up. One time a cop told me that I should have gone through a yellow because you're suppose to get two cars through a yellow. That's not the law at all but it didn't matter. One of my friends was riding on his motorcycle and streched, then a cop came up to him and said that it's only legal to carry one person on a motorcycle, confusedly he said that he only had one person but the cop said that he saw him let one off. He was charged for some bunk. Individually cops can extort their power because there's not much reprecussion as long as they don't do anything that terrible.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 18:13:50 Reply

You live in the US. I can see where the problem lies. We have a brilliant system in the UK whereby the police aren't corrupt shits. I love Britain.

Slizor
Slizor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 19:00:45 Reply

You live in the US. I can see where the problem lies. We have a brilliant system in the UK whereby the police aren't corrupt shits. I love Britain.

Yeah, because police are accountable in so many ways.....can you name one?

Kenney333
Kenney333
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-07 23:36:01 Reply

There have been alot of cases where the police have pressured witnesses into lying about the accused, when they think that they have the right man, they are willing to force a testimony, which is a big abuse of their power.

but i think there is a power that we should give them, i pretty sure it was Jerry Seinfield who came up with the idea of merging police officers with garbagemen, i think he was right, we should give them that power, their already out their walking around patroling, why can they be picking up garbage while their at it

D34M0N
D34M0N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-08 05:15:24 Reply

Cops should get more power. Crime must be stopt with force. And the gus cops use are mostly lighter than the ones criminals use. Cops world wide should just be as hard as Russian cops (except corruption), kicking and smashing criminals before arresting. And most cops only drink coffee, eat donuts and bill you if you drive too hard and so.

Also penalties against criminals must be better. Death penalty should be used world wide. And the death penalty should be more efficiant and in public, i mean electric chair, fire peleton and injection are too expensive. It would be better to behead people and put their heads on sticks in public, so other people will learn that crime doesn't pay. And also deathmatch could be organised: Give the prisoners weapons, and let them finish off eachother. The one that survives will be released and get $100,000,- orso.

BBS Signature
bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-08 06:10:39 Reply

At 6/7/03 07:00 PM, Slizor wrote: Yeah, because police are accountable in so many ways.....can you name one?

A policeman in my town has got struck off for kicking a man when he was arresting him just a coupla weeks ago.

The man was guilty, but the cop kicked him when he was down.

wdfcverfgtghm
wdfcverfgtghm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-08 06:17:26 Reply

At 6/8/03 06:10 AM, bumcheekycity wrote:
At 6/7/03 07:00 PM, Slizor wrote: Yeah, because police are accountable in so many ways.....can you name one?
A policeman in my town has got struck off for kicking a man when he was arresting him just a coupla weeks ago.

The man was guilty, but the cop kicked him when he was down.

That's completly reasonable, maybe there was a part of the story that you forgot to tell.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-08 07:15:30 Reply

At 6/8/03 06:17 AM, AnRkeyPenguin wrote:
At 6/8/03 06:10 AM, bumcheekycity wrote: The man was guilty, but the cop kicked him when he was down.
That's completly reasonable, maybe there was a part of the story that you forgot to tell.

Kicking a man when he was down? How is that completely reasonable?

wdfcverfgtghm
wdfcverfgtghm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-08 07:23:48 Reply

At 6/8/03 07:15 AM, bumcheekycity wrote:
At 6/8/03 06:17 AM, AnRkeyPenguin wrote:
At 6/8/03 06:10 AM, bumcheekycity wrote: The man was guilty, but the cop kicked him when he was down.
Kicking a man when he was down? How is that completely reasonable?

You were responding to accountablity on the part of the police. Slizor asked how are police accountable. You said a police officer kicked someone when he was down. Meaning that a police officers actions, (Being having reprecussions for kicking someone when he was down) were held accountable. That's reasonable.

Most likely you misinterperated what Slizor was asking.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-08 16:36:00 Reply

At 6/8/03 05:15 AM, D34M0N wrote:

Crime must be stopt with force. And the gus cops use are mostly lighter than the ones criminals use. Cops world wide should just be as hard as Russian cops (except corruption), kicking and smashing criminals before arrestin

What you said is pretty illogical. The courts decide who is guilty or not guilty. The police have to arrest them first. You think they should simply beat the shit out of whoever seems guilty for whatever reason?? That right there is corrupt.

And also deathmatch could be organised: Give the prisoners weapons, and let them finish off eachother. The one that survives will be released and get $100,000,- orso.

That is retarded.

misterx2000
misterx2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-10 12:03:14 Reply

Here in HK most police are pretty well-balanced...they gotta pass some tough tests y'know. Not just some 2 bit mall cop...but those here don't have guns.

BWS
BWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-10 13:54:54 Reply

You know, I think that the U.S. governmental system is, overall, a good one; It has its shortcomings, but I think that its constructed well. Our Judiciary system however has a number of flaws. The Supreme courts are not really the probelm as much as the inferior courts are. It seems that the original purpose of the Constituion and Bill of Rights is being forgoten too often. Im curious to see how other countries deal with criminals. Here in the US the courts tend to give a lot of credibility to police when they testify. I assume its the same everywhere else, but does anyone have any comments on that issue?

punk32
punk32
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-10 13:58:20 Reply

sometimes i hate police because the be like do this and that i and its like they love ussing their guns to kill people and if they do they dont get in trouble because they got connections.

<deleted>
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-10 14:42:03 Reply

At 6/10/03 01:58 PM, punk32 wrote: sometimes i hate police because the be like do this and that i and its like they love ussing their guns to kill people and if they do they dont get in trouble because they got connections.

You're a fucking moron.

weaponrxn
weaponrxn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-10 14:49:14 Reply

There is a saying, the more rights/freedom you get the less service/protection you will recieve. For example, in certain countries in Europe, there is a high tax rate.. about 60% for some rich people yet they have free medical service, great protection, and good social security benefits. Yes some police officers do abuse their power but it is the small minority that abuse their power. The media blows it up so that it makes a small thing look big. Besides, for example, in New York City, there are about 8 million people yet there are less than 40,000 officers in the NYPD. Force must be used to insure that the entire 8 million + visitors will be protected.

weaponrxn
weaponrxn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The police have too much power 2003-06-10 14:56:32 Reply

Commenting on what BWS said about the U.S. Gov't system is overall: a good one. We need to remember that this is a new country in the history of civilization. The United States was born on 1776 C.E. (or A.D.) while many other countries such as the Middle East developed as early as the B.C.E or B.C. eras. Europe is much older than the United States Such as Britian and France with all their revolutions.