00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

velvzie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

We Need Gun Control

79,023 Views | 1,234 Replies

We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 18:47:55

If you entered this thread because you read the title and want to unleash a rapid-fire barrage of insults, then leave now. I don't want to deal with you, just those that respect my opinion, whether they agree with it or not.

Now, on to my point. Why do gun stores sell semiautomatic weaponry without having to fill out some kind of form or going through a screening process or something? If you're a deer hunter, or a duck hunter, or any kind of hunter, you don't need semiautomatic fire to kill one deer. If you collect guns, you should be willing to fill out a form of some kind to get a gun you probably won't use. The fact that there is no control on these guns in most places leads to things like... oh, I don't know, the V-Tech rampage?

Don't you think?

"If you brought your partici-pants, put 'em on!"

|Go Here|and Here|and Here|

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 18:53:12

we need people to use the bloody search bar.

VESTRUM BARDUSIS MIHI EXTASUM

Heathenry; it's not for you

"calling atheism a belief is like calling a conviction belief"

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 18:58:28

Yeah, I used the bloody search bar, and nothing like this came up. So shut up.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 19:21:29

At 6/11/07 06:47 PM, dodo-man-1 wrote: Now, on to my point. Why do gun stores sell semiautomatic weaponry without having to fill out some kind of form or going through a screening process or something? If you're a deer hunter, or a duck hunter, or any kind of hunter, you don't need semiautomatic fire to kill one deer. If you collect guns, you should be willing to fill out a form of some kind to get a gun you probably won't use. The fact that there is no control on these guns in most places leads to things like... oh, I don't know, the V-Tech rampage?

Don't you think?

Dodo,

I don't think you understand the process it takes to purchase a firearm in this country:

1) You fill out paperwork on every gun you buy regardless of action (automatic/pump/lever/bolt) and type (rifle/shotgun/handgun). So the first part of your premise is wrong.

2) There is a background check done on everyone who legally purchases a firearm for criminal activity. The question with VT is what should be done on mental health. So the second part of your premise is half wrong.

3) You can use a semi-automatic firearm to shoot and it has some advantages:
a) The automatic action not only reloads the gun for you, it also acts as a shock absorber which means it has less recoil. Less recoil=better accuracy.
b) If you miss or only wound the animal you can fire a second shot faster thereby making it suffer less.

So the third part of your premise is wrong.

So with all due respect, the majority of your opinion on this subject is built upon a foundation that fundamentaly is in error.

Furthermore, firearms are not the cause of tragedies such as VT...they are the tool, but not the cause. More gun control is not going to solve this or keep things such as VT from happen and statistically speaking you are just as likely to be killed by a drunk driver than murdered with a firearm. Perhaps there should be stricter controls on cars?

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...

" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 19:23:37

At 6/11/07 06:58 PM, dodo-man-1 wrote: Yeah, I used the bloody search bar, and nothing like this came up. So shut up.

it seems you did a very poor job.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 21:33:20

Guns aren't the problem, it's the culture that's the problem. Look what happened to that nice korean boy that tried to go to school in your country! You people made him crazy!!!

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-11 21:44:03

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 00:31:07

You do need to fill out paperwork and they do background checks to make sure you're not a totally nut job.

Even I know that.

I can just see cellardoor coming in here guns blazing lol

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 00:32:50

At 6/12/07 12:31 AM, Brick-top wrote: I can just see cellardoor coming in here guns blazing lol

he probably looked in, lost it and went to get wasted in an attempt to forget about it.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 00:35:58

At 6/11/07 09:33 PM, ForkRobotik wrote: Guns aren't the problem, it's the culture that's the problem. Look what happened to that nice korean boy that tried to go to school in your country! You people made him crazy!!!

What do you mean by "you people"? Americans, I presume. Do you just go around looking for opportunities to attack people from the U.S.? School shootings aren't a problem unique to the U.S. It's highly ironic that you would say that, considering there was a school shooting in Toronto just this May. Relax and realize that the U.S. isn't the worst place on Earth.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 00:52:11

At 6/12/07 12:35 AM, SyntheticTacos wrote: What do you mean by "you people"? Americans, I presume. Do you just go around looking for opportunities to attack people from the U.S.? School shootings aren't a problem unique to the U.S. It's highly ironic that you would say that, considering there was a school shooting in Toronto just this May. Relax and realize that the U.S. isn't the worst place on Earth.

well i wouldn't really classify it as a school shooting since there was a single target. seems more gang related than anything.

i'm not arguing that school shootings aren't just the US's problem.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 00:58:28

At 6/12/07 12:32 AM, SolInvictus wrote:
At 6/12/07 12:31 AM, Brick-top wrote: I can just see cellardoor coming in here guns blazing lol
he probably looked in, lost it and went to get wasted in an attempt to forget about it.

Oh dear god no, I bet he's brushing the dust of his millions of links he keeps in his favourites and the pics of his certificates just so we don’t argue with him.

"Well actually cell-"
"LOOK AT MY PLAQUE!! ITS SHINY!! IT MEANS I'M BETTER THAN YOU"

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 01:22:10

At 6/12/07 12:58 AM, Brick-top wrote: "Well actually cell-"
"LOOK AT MY PLAQUE!! ITS SHINY!! IT MEANS I'M BETTER THAN YOU"

hey, if he had a plaque saying he was better than anyone i would believe it.
until then, i'm still a god.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 10:18:20

OK, um, yeah. In Virginia, where that V-Tech guy bought his guns, they don't have a form to fill out. Or any process at all. That kid just waltzed into some gun store, asked for some semiautomatics, and they gave them to him. And I'm not saying that the guns are the total problem. They should put you through a process that says, "Oh, sorry, you're mentally ill, we can't let you buy this gun."

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 10:40:31

At 6/11/07 07:21 PM, TheMason wrote: statistically speaking you are just as likely to be killed by a drunk driver than murdered with a firearm. Perhaps there should be stricter controls on cars?

Proportionally speaking, guns are used to kill things less often than cars. If someone gets killed by a car, that's a side effect of something designed for transportation. If someone gets killed with a gun, that's because guns are designed specifically to kill.

If you see someone drinking out of the barrel of a gun at a tea party, that's a side effect.

Dead.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 10:57:04

Any hunter that uses semiautomatic weapons isn't a real hunter, nor a real man for that matter.

So either hunt with the weapons your grandpa hunted with or be a fucking pansy.

That being said, there is no use for semiautomatic weapons in the hands of hunters.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 11:40:33

At 6/12/07 10:18 AM, dodo-man-1 wrote: OK, um, yeah. In Virginia, where that V-Tech guy bought his guns, they don't have a form to fill out. Or any process at all. That kid just waltzed into some gun store, asked for some semiautomatics, and they gave them to him. And I'm not saying that the guns are the total problem.

He actually passed two background checks, chief.

They should put you through a process that says, "Oh, sorry, you're mentally ill, we can't let you buy this gun."

They did put him through a process. The problem is that the process wasn't comprehensive enough to include his medical history and state of mental health. Who knows why, either due to administrative shortsightedness or classic patient privacy issues or beauracratic redtape or who knows what.

In any case, you're seriously misinformed if you think he was able to buy two pistols without even having to show ID or fill out some type of paperwork.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 11:42:06

At 6/12/07 10:18 AM, dodo-man-1 wrote: OK, um, yeah. In Virginia, where that V-Tech guy bought his guns, they don't have a form to fill out. Or any process at all. That kid just waltzed into some gun store, asked for some semiautomatics, and they gave them to him. And I'm not saying that the guns are the total problem. They should put you through a process that says, "Oh, sorry, you're mentally ill, we can't let you buy this gun."

Uh, they DO have to do background checks. And they didn't GIVE him the guns, he did have to pay for them after all. Excessive hyperbole isn't going to make what you say any less false. The problem was is that he was not recognized as mentally ill when he filled out the necessary paperwork. This a problem with the process; it just needs to be amended a bit to make sure mental illness shows up on the checks. We don't need to go berserk and ban handguns or anything.

"The fact that there is no control on these guns in most places leads to things like... oh, I don't know, the V-Tech rampage?"

I don't know, what if the other students had guns to defend themselves with, or what if there were more security guards?

One more question: do you think that if this guy was willing to break the law against murder 32 times, he's going to have a problem with illegally purchasing a firearm? Face it, even if handguns were illegal he could have still acquired a firearm; they are in such wide circulation that he could have just bought one off the black market.

Taking guns away from law-abiding citizens and just leaving the rest with criminals and the police/Army (which can't be in your house at 1:30 AM every day) is not a good idea. I think most people have guns like being able to defend themselves.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 12:05:27

At 6/12/07 11:42 AM, SyntheticTacos wrote: Uh, they DO have to do background checks. And they didn't GIVE him the guns, he did have to pay for them after all.

That's not what I meant and you know it.

I can afford to admit that I was misinformed. But some of my opinions on this still stand.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 12:08:01

At 6/12/07 12:05 PM, dodo-man-1 wrote:
At 6/12/07 11:42 AM, SyntheticTacos wrote: Uh, they DO have to do background checks. And they didn't GIVE him the guns, he did have to pay for them after all.
That's not what I meant and you know it.

I can afford to admit that I was misinformed. But some of my opinions on this still stand.

But what you did mean was that he walked into the store and walked out with his guns without taking any background checks or showing an ID or anything. Which is ludacris.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 12:12:19

At 6/12/07 12:08 PM, Me-Patch wrote: But what you did mean was that he walked into the store and walked out with his guns without taking any background checks or showing an ID or anything. Which is ludacris.

On an unrelated note, I enjoy the fact that "Rap" has become more popular than "English"

Dead.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 12:15:47

At 6/12/07 12:12 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 6/12/07 12:08 PM, Me-Patch wrote: Which is ludacris.
On an unrelated note, I enjoy the fact that "Rap" has become more popular than "English"

It happens.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 17:58:12

At 6/12/07 10:18 AM, dodo-man-1 wrote: OK, um, yeah. In Virginia, where that V-Tech guy bought his guns, they don't have a form to fill out. Or any process at all. That kid just waltzed into some gun store, asked for some semiautomatics, and they gave them to him. And I'm not saying that the guns are the total problem. They should put you through a process that says, "Oh, sorry, you're mentally ill, we can't let you buy this gun."

<Paris Hilton>Ok, um, yeah. OMG! I'm like totally a poly sci nerd here in AMERICA! And like you see it is um...like a FEDERAL LAW that gun stores in...like...ALL 50 states to...um...make ANYONE buying a gun...like...FILL OUT a standardized form! And OMG...us gun nuts have to...like totally...go through something called an FBI BACKGROUND check! It is so totally unfair! We...like...have to do all this stuff at GUN SHOWS even! So I was telling my friend Cellardoor that this is totally unfair and he was like "OMG! That is...like...totally uncool!</Paris Hilton>

Sorry about that...something about the first sentence in your post got me thinking in "Valley Girl".

But could you see: The Gun Life w/TheMason and Cellardoor?

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 18:06:58

At 6/12/07 10:57 AM, SirLebowski wrote: Any hunter that uses semiautomatic weapons isn't a real hunter, nor a real man for that matter.

That being said, there is no use for semiautomatic weapons in the hands of hunters.

Actually anyone who uses a scope isn't a real hunter nor a real man. I prefer my good ole iron sights on my good ole AK-47.

Furthermore, in some areas the intermediate rounds such as the .223 and 7.62x39 are probably safer than using a high power .270 because they do not travel far. And if you hunt in a rapidly developing county like where I live you do not want (or need) the type of round that you use at 500 yards such as the .270 or .30-06.

However, the guns for these intermediate rounds are usually semi-automatics and the law in Missouri (and I believe most states) is one can hunt with a semi-automatic but only in conjunction with a 5-rd magazine.

Finally I don't see where a bolt action rifle makes it any more of a sport...only inflicts more suffering on the animal if you only wound it and you have to track it down to where it died after running a half mile. But I guess Sadism is part of your definition of sport and manhood.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-12 18:21:54

At 6/12/07 10:57 AM, SirLebowski wrote: Any hunter that uses semiautomatic weapons isn't a real hunter, nor a real man for that matter.

if you're going for a one shot kill why would it make a difference?

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-13 15:59:19

Ok just a few little pointers in like a pawn shop that doesnt bide by the rules of course you can buy a gun right out of the case with no background check in California when you purchase a firearm it takes anywhere from a month to 2 days for the background check. Second holy shit man ever heard of a prairie dog if you dont have a semi auto you wont kill very many and deer and elk and such if im hunting elk i take my semi auto because of all the damn grizzlys and wolves around anymore even with my 10 shots my chances of killing that chargind grizzly are about 30 to 1 . Id rather take that than 1 million to one if i have a stupid single shot which is pretty much what you would like the world to have from what i understand but what if some nut has a gun right now and pulled it out and pointed it at you and 5 other ppl there pull out their guns and saved your ass what would you say? Perfect example of this is in Idaho a crazed gunman with an automatic of some kind went into a mall shootin up the place and a man with a concealed carry permit pulled out his SEMI AUTOMATIC pistol and shot this man before he hurt anyone. Now how many ppl heard this almost none because the media do not want you to hear the good things about guns or anything for that matter. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Id like to hear your response mr. misguided

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-13 16:00:55

sry one more thing i hunt ducks and trust me you need a semi auto most of the time when the geese are in. Its a neccesity

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-13 16:05:54

To put it simply: We Americans loves our guns. LOVES our guns! The whole defense for having the second amendment is to be ready to topple the government if it ever became tyranical, and damnit we're more than willing to give up free speech, free press, public trial, etc. to have them.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-14 10:16:40

At 6/13/07 04:05 PM, altanese-mistress wrote: To put it simply: We Americans loves our guns. LOVES our guns! The whole defense for having the second amendment is to be ready to topple the government if it ever became tyranical, and damnit we're more than willing to give up free speech, free press, public trial, etc. to have them.

GOOD ON YA MATE CHEERS THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT

Response to We Need Gun Control 2007-06-14 12:46:49

At 6/11/07 06:58 PM, dodo-man-1 wrote: Yeah, I used the bloody search bar, and nothing like this came up. So shut up.

7 links down and u see something with gun control