00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BWWAA-LORD-OF-DUCKS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Deathblow

1,033 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Deathblow 2007-06-07 02:02:59

Here's a piece I did today in tribute to Jim Lee's character.

Deathblow

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 02:18:29

Nice one!

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 03:54:18

At 6/7/07 02:18 AM, ninjitsuwarrior wrote: Nice one!

Thanks.

And here's the line art.

Deathblow

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 05:00:13

Awesome linework. Did you do it in Flash or Photoshop?

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 05:42:05

At 6/7/07 05:00 AM, idiot-monarch wrote: Awesome linework. Did you do it in Flash or Photoshop?

I used sort of a primitive method. I first drew it by hand on typing paper (see below) with a common 0.7mm mechanical pencil, scanned it, and then inked in Flash. But I've noticed with some of the better vector art on here, like JohnnyUtah's, you'll see varying stroke sizes. I don't have a Wacom tablet, so I'm not sure if that is what causes the weight differences or not. Or even if it's later added in to a more flat drawing. Illustrator's pen tool seems to have that effect, but I'm still kind of out in the cold on how to achieve it digitally, so I resort to Flash since it's what I know. I'm trying out all sorts of different things to come up with a routine style.

Deathblow

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 05:58:03

Here, could you try deleting the lineart in your colored picture? I just wanna see how that would look.
Nice job, btw.

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 06:15:28

At 6/7/07 05:58 AM, PandaMime wrote: Here, could you try deleting the lineart in your colored picture? I just wanna see how that would look.
Nice job, btw.

Here's one with most of the lines deleted. I kept in the head lines and gun lines to retain a non-blob form.

Deathblow

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 06:22:14

At 6/7/07 05:42 AM, rolentogrenades wrote:
I used sort of a primitive method. I first drew it by hand on typing paper (see below) with a common 0.7mm mechanical pencil, scanned it, and then inked in Flash.

The sketch looks nicer than the lineart. When I didn't have a tablet I inked over sketches with fine-lines, took a photo then Traced Bitmap on Flash, which is just as good for expanding and contracting lines. You could try that.
You can use tracing paper if you're scared of losing the original sketch too.

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 06:25:53

looks nivce, I love the glowing belt. nice touch!

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 06:43:52

The sketch looks nicer than the lineart. When I didn't have a tablet I inked over sketches with fine-lines, took a photo then Traced Bitmap on Flash, which is just as good for expanding and contracting lines. You could try that.
You can use tracing paper if you're scared of losing the original sketch too.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try some of that out. If you saw my Iron Man drawing, I inked that with a Zebra F-301 and thought it turned out pretty bad when scanned. I realize Zebra is a stock brand and probably not even meant for comic inking, but it's all I had handy at the time. So I figured I'd go an alternative route this time around.

BBS Signature

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 12:17:47

The one without lines looks very professional.

Response to Deathblow 2007-06-07 17:58:21

I like it, but try making the neck smaller and moving the head a bit to the left. If you look at someones neck, you'll notice there chin is almost never in front of there neck, unless there looking straght at you. otherwise, I love it!

BBS Signature