00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

girl

5,179 Views | 77 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to girl 2007-06-03 19:17:27

umm.. when i get my scanner back up (god knows when) i'll draw what i've learned.

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-03 19:35:27

At 6/3/07 07:04 PM, PoJoX wrote: I see too many aspiring artists ruined by that crap, so they need to learn to draw all over again if they want to become a professional artist.

But... i decided to learn how to draw anime, and i improved... Youre saying that its a matter of time before i collapse or something? >.< Bah.

And err crazerfish... as i said on the other thread you made, you should dig up some tutorials and then hit the gas. Lol i love metaphoric expressions xP

Response to girl 2007-06-03 19:50:45

At 6/3/07 07:04 PM, PoJoX wrote: And as a beginning artist, I'd rather not see you draw anime...

Totally agree with you, as an art student I've seen the light, and it's all about sketching REAL PEOPLE, if you know how to draw a real person correctly you'll get WAY better at "your style" as could be anime...

This is a quick drawing I made for my ex-girl some time ago, I broght it back from the dead just so crazer can see face proportions, which are really important too.
TIP: never ever start drawing an outline, take your time and make the skeleton first, keep it general basic shapes, and THEN get to the details, get some ref pics!!!

girl

up up down down left right left right B A

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-03 19:59:25

At 6/3/07 07:35 PM, Hammi wrote: But... i decided to learn how to draw anime, and i improved... Youre saying that its a matter of time before i collapse or something? >.< Bah...

I don't think thas what he said, or at least what I got from him, I can tell you from my personal experience it's not like you're going to collapse or something, it's just that you'll get stucked at some point where you could get better.
For example, I've seen your dev-art pics, and I like them, but I also see you may need to get better at human proportions, same thing as I said to crazer, don't go for the outlines or details first, start from the basics and work your way to the top, you'll see you get way better
in little time!!

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-03 20:02:01

At 6/3/07 08:01 PM, PoJoX wrote: Oh, and the pics on my devart don't count- those are supposed to look like anime!

witty comment allowing triple post.

Witty comment wasted, as it wasn't a triple post.

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-03 20:04:58

At 6/3/07 07:58 PM, PoJoX wrote: Now, did you start with anime too? I assume that's what you mean by "seen the light", right? I don't know if it's just me, but I can see it in the eyes... it's rather angular.

something like that, I've been trying to find my style forever hehe, I've tried all sorts of things, and still watch cartoons...but anyways, by seen the light I meant in my first drawing classes, with live models, I was told just what I said before, and "a whole new world openeth before me eyes" hehe

yeah now that you say so her eyes are angular at their outer end, but she still looks like that when she wears makeup (creepy)

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-03 20:24:05

At 6/3/07 07:52 PM, PoJoX wrote:
Actually, yes. Well, did you start with anime, or did you learn it extra? It's just that if you learn to draw FROM anime, than it messes up your composition skills as you are not able to interperet tangible three dimentional objects, because you learned to draw something that has already had the realism taken away. It's like making a photocopy of a photocopy. It'll end up coming out bad and you'll just have to do it all over differently.

I see. Well i actually started out with anime, but then after a while i decided to put all my focus on more accurate anatomy and proportions as much as possible. THEN i was able to make a big leap by having a sturdy body structure. And now im exercising anime styles. Dunno when ill draw from life, but i will when i feel like being ready :) So i guess the anatomy study came in later. But i would still think of anime as an extra.

At 6/3/07 07:59 PM, cuestaluis wrote:
I don't think thas what he said, or at least what I got from him, I can tell you from my personal experience it's not like you're going to collapse or something, it's just that you'll get stucked at some point where you could get better.
For example, I've seen your dev-art pics, and I like them, but I also see you may need to get better at human proportions, same thing as I said to crazer, don't go for the outlines or details first, start from the basics and work your way to the top, you'll see you get way better
in little time!!

I thought i was already better at human proportions xP I always start from the basics, starting off with skeleton, movement points, then calculation of the face structure, the face details, body design etc. But however, i will keep learning and picking up new tricks, methods and twists, a lil extra here and there. Tadaa! xD

Response to girl 2007-06-03 20:28:08

Personally I don't see what's wrong with starting with anime/manga, as long as you start with a style that is not super-deformed or shoujo(the kind for girls, with huge eyes and small mouths). Actually there is nothing wrong with that either, as long as you move on to more complex styles like shonen anime. Most shonen anime (the kind that aims for a male audience) are pretty correct in anatomy (7/8-head-body, limbs at the right length, major muscles at the right place) aside from the obvious style deviation in facial features.

I don't get the idea why everyone thinks anime is automatically bad art. First of all, anime does not only consist of the shoujo style, with gigantic eyes and limited poses. Also, not all of them look like Sailor Moon or DBZ. Some of them can be as complex and "relaistic" as Marvel/DC comics. Anime/manga is just a generalizing term for Japanese animation or comic. Secondly, it's 2D CARTOON. Why is it that when people draw in cartoony styles like Invader Zim / Penny Arcade / Blobs, they get praise, whereas when they draw in anime they automatically get flamed for anatomy issues? You're trying to tell me that Invader Zim is more accurate in the anatomy apartment than something like (excuse the mainstream reference) Death Note or Naruto?

Finally, the line between American comics and Japanese anime is blurring. More and more Western comic artists' work are -- in their own words -- "anime influenced", and Japanese comics are increasingly trying to attain Western styles. There are already how-to books out there teaching aspiring artists how to do the "fusion-styled" comics. Soon the word "anime" will lose its meaning and the argument that it is horrible Japanese crap will be obsolete.

I started off my hobby with Sailor Moon when I was six. Since then I have explored many styles, both Western and Asian, complex and simple. There is no bad style, just bad execution and lack of practice.

Response to girl 2007-06-03 20:46:08

At 6/3/07 08:34 PM, PoJoX wrote: I don't belive anime to be bad art, per se, it's just that it's bad to start with. Take Takeshi Obata's art in Death Note. It is by far the best i have ever seen in a manga. But when the children of this generation start with stuff they see in naruto, they will eventually want to draw like Obata, but they will not have the proper skills, and they will not know why. This is becaus they did not get the techniques of realism that anime is based off of, and instead they try and have this anime as the base art, and it warps their development because they base the realistic drawing off of anime, bass- ackwards.

I clearly understand what you mean. When i started out my own, i was loosely drawing anime just to see the results. But then i had enough. In order to develop my own style of drawing, i paused from my drawings and started doing research, and cropped my prev way of drawing. Thats how i acquired my skills. I wanna keep it real :D The reason that i still draw anime is that its... fun xD One day ill be fed up with anime and start doing a different style. By keeping up doing the drawings, youll be able to develop your way of doing art^^

Response to girl 2007-06-03 20:57:49

At 6/3/07 08:34 PM, PoJoX wrote: I don't belive anime to be bad art, per se, it's just that it's bad to start with. Take Takeshi Obata's art in Death Note. It is by far the best i have ever seen in a manga. But when the children of this generation start with stuff they see in naruto, they will eventually want to draw like Obata, but they will not have the proper skills, and they will not know why. This is becaus they did not get the techniques of realism that anime is based off of, and instead they try and have this anime as the base art, and it warps their development because they base the realistic drawing off of anime, bass- ackwards.

Interesting point, though I do not agree that anime is necessarily based off realism. Being trained on realism first maybe the way most Westerners learn, and perhaps in Japan there are also some artists who have studied realism (most of them shonen artists I believe), but quite a lot started off as doujinshi artists who started off with anime and never studied realism aside from occasionally using photo-references for objects and difficult poses, and they have become quite successful. I have also seen people with no formal realism training making it big. There is this artist - whose name I have forgotten, sorry - at conceptart.org, who had held a workshop a couple of years ago. It was said on the site's recap that when he demonstrated his work, he didn't use any building blocks, any skeleton, but just started with a head and proceeded towards the arm.

No techniques are held as universal rules, as basically there are no rules when it comes to art. There are some techniques that are supposed to help and assist better and are therefore more popular, but ultimately if it doesn't work for you or if you don't need it, you don't have to use them, they are merely suggestions and assisting tools. Plus, what matters most is the result. No matter how you have measured out the proportions of the character, no matter how zealously you draw the skeletons and blocks, no one would care in the end if they never see the process, as long as it comes out working in your favor. Even veteran comic artists from Marvel have said in their how-to books, some pros use more of these techniques, some just wing it.

Lastly, you seem to think that everyone will eventually "move on" to realism if they draw anime. There are many artists out there who have found a style they like and rarely, or even, never touched realism. I'm not only talking about Asian comic artists, but also Western artists and illustrators. Realism is just another style, it's not the end of a mandatory path.

Response to girl 2007-06-04 23:20:53

Wow you suck monkey gooch.

Response to girl 2007-06-05 14:40:32

At 6/3/07 07:11 PM, SmilingIdiot wrote: and those are some sexy scribbles...lol ...crazer lets see what youv learnt boy

alright. i worked realy hard on this. i tried to make it as realistic as possible. thanks to everyone on this this thread who helped me. the only anime influenced thing are the eyes. sorta. anyway, here it is. her names trisha :p

girl

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 14:50:09

At 6/5/07 02:40 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: her names trisha :p

it`s crap....but it`s an improvement...

see? instead of posting thousands of times, with thousands of eye raping pieces of shit... it`s better to think about what you post, and post pics only if you`ve put some real effort in them...that way you`ll be much prouder of them...

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??

nothing but stardust

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-05 15:04:49

At 6/5/07 02:50 PM, TomAzza wrote:
At 6/5/07 02:40 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: her names trisha :p
see? instead of posting thousands of times, with thousands of eye raping pieces of shit... it`s better to think about what you post, and post pics only if you`ve put some real effort in them...that way you`ll be much prouder of them...

..i do feel A LOT more proud of this one.

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 15:17:45

okay, her arm was too short as many of you said, so i fixed it

girl

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 15:23:57

At 6/5/07 03:21 PM, PoJoX wrote:
At 6/5/07 03:17 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: okay, her arm was too short as many of you said, so i fixed it
And yet you failed to do anything about her apparent amputation.

okay, one, it was behind her body, too, i'm fizing it now. i'm gonna tweek this untill it's AWESOME!

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 15:25:23

At 6/5/07 03:21 PM, PoJoX wrote:
At 6/5/07 03:17 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: okay, her arm was too short as many of you said, so i fixed it

or her left Lizard-eye....

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??

nothing but stardust

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-05 15:31:37

okay, one, it was behind her body, too, i'm fizing it now. i'm gonna tweek this untill it's AWESOME!

okay. here it is. it's kinda sloppy, but i'm lazy.

girl

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 17:11:18

i drew a picture of stonecoldsoul, live with it.

girl

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 17:14:08

Soul the girl above soul are mediocre... yay for improvement!

i dont like your signature

If anyone can spare it, I would really appreciate $0.60 on paypal PM me perhaps?

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-05 21:01:25

At 6/5/07 05:14 PM, HahaBears wrote: Soul the girl above soul are mediocre... yay for improvement!

i dont like your signature

i'm gonna work on another girl later.

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-05 23:09:49

I think the key to making improvements it to draw an entirely new picture. You can't just make certain portions of it disappear/appear out of nowhere because the potential for the piece was limited to begin with. All the girl is doing is standing, and if you wanted it to really be a huge change you have to redraw something else. It will give you practice and it allows you to apply the things you learned from your previous drawing to the new drawing.

Response to girl 2007-06-06 02:29:53

Well for one, dont make it look like she has half a hair cut. Two... her boobs are kinda going two ways... that's all i have to say.

Response to girl 2007-06-06 16:14:22

At 6/6/07 02:29 AM, 70sBike wrote: Well for one, dont make it look like she has half a hair cut. Two... her boobs are kinda going two ways... that's all i have to say.

realy?

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-06 19:41:32

try starting with a skeleton. Here is a list of drawing tutorial sites someone posted in a forum. There are plenty of anatomy reference sites, turorials on proportion, etc. and it will really help you, I am sure.

Response to girl 2007-06-06 19:43:29

At 6/6/07 07:41 PM, cmkinsac wrote: try starting with a skeleton. Here is a list of drawing tutorial sites someone posted in a forum. There are plenty of anatomy reference sites, turorials on proportion, etc. and it will really help you, I am sure.

oops, here is the link:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Brackenwood/index.
php?showtopic=4133

also, here is a figure drawing tutorial I found:
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/figure/wil liamlibodyconstruction.html

Response to girl 2007-06-06 20:11:37

meh, its alright...

I tried to see it your way but I couldn't get my head that far up my ass...

Some good threads of mine...

BBS Signature

Response to girl 2007-06-07 17:18:40

bump. yay.

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to girl 2007-06-07 17:24:19

At 6/7/07 05:18 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: bump. yay.

dont bump this...you lost a cool point in my books for that

Response to girl 2007-06-07 17:53:51

At 6/7/07 05:24 PM, SmilingIdiot wrote:
At 6/7/07 05:18 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: bump. yay.
dont bump this...you lost a cool point in my books for that

how ironic.

BBS Signature