SpaceAndTime
SpaceAndTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Animation trick o' the day #6 2007-05-29 22:49:21 Reply

Shaky Camera

A shaking camera can make an animation look really good when utilised correctly. A smooth, perfect camera motion would be very innapropriate when you, for example, are in a jeep trying to escape from T-rex. One would expect a very bouncy, fast, frightened, I'm-going-to-die sort of camera movement.

There are several ways to make a shaking camera in flash. Firstly, you could use either the V-cam or you could put your whole movie into a single graphic. For the shaking effect, you could use tweens, actionscript, do it frame-by-frame, or you use a motion path. (Or, heck, you could do a couple of those at the same time)
This animation trick uses a motion path. It gives a more "organic" feel than actionscript, and is more editable than frame-by-frame.

.swf
.fla
The most important part of this trick is the design of the motion path. I had to draw it a few times before I got the motion to look half decent, and I'm sure there's probably a much better path I can draw. Experimentation, trial and error, is the only way to get something that looks good.

I've also staggered the tween using custom easing to randomly change the zoom and speed of the camera motion. you can only do this in flash 8 and above. (properties panel)

I still haven't perfected this trick becuse I haven't used it in any of my animations. Yet. If anyone comes up with a better motion path or anything, please post it here so we can see. Thanks.
Below: the motion path
Trick #:1 2 3 4 5

Animation trick o' the day #6

itsjms
itsjms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day #6 2007-05-29 22:51:26 Reply

u really should upload ure stuff to denvish.net/ul.... but good tip v cams do make a difrence in some things. (sorry had to get my 915 th post XD)

BBS Signature
Lord-Sonx
Lord-Sonx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day #6 2007-05-30 11:27:36 Reply

*bump*

shaky cam isn't really that good ;)