00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Petepan09 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Sun

810 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Sun 2007-05-23 16:17:48

'What am I going to do for the next half hour?' I asked.
'The sun' I replied.
I knew that he wasn't suggesting I 'do' the sun. I had already opened photshop and used the eliptical marquee to select a circle of empty space so, contextually, I gathered that he wanted me to create an image of the sun. This was attempt A.

Attempt B was much, much worse so I don't think I'd like to show it.

Criticism would be appreciated. Other than that, feel free to use this thread to show off your own sun-based images.

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 16:21:30

You may have forgotten to post the pic in this art forum.Otherwise, this thread may be deleted and your happiness will go away.Post the pic.

Best regards.

lollol

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 16:27:16

Yeah, forgot the image then had to convert to jpeg THEN I had to resize it because it was slightly to big. This image didn't want to make it onto the bbs but here I'm forcing it to with a bread knife.
Almost pressed 'Post It!' without attaching the image again. The clever bastard's gonna get himself stabbed in a minute.

The Sun

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 16:32:17

That's okay, I don't think Mindchamber will lock it if you forgot the pic and yes I leveled up, it feels weird cuz it looks like I'm much more experienced but I'm the same!

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 17:13:08

It's pretty good, one thing I would suggest is mess around with the brightness of it, the brightest spots should be white, really, really white, like hurt your eyes white.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 19:10:28

Really nice for ur first sun...
I did this way back ago... it sucks cuz i got lazy and didn't finished all the flaming things over it.

Mess around with Ps and setting layers to linear dodge, makes things it glow more.
And some spherizing and solarizing.

The Sun

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 19:58:05

At 5/23/07 07:10 PM, Frolikyn wrote: And some spherizing and solarizing.

Thanks for the advice. That goes for you other guys as well. I agree that parts of it should be brighter but I was looking at reference images at the time and the corona didn't appear to be brighter than the sun itself in any of those images.
Your's definately doesn't suck, Frolikyn. It's very fantastic in comparison to mine and much better than our actual sun which is very boring, whereas your's is, for lack of a better word, WOW!
Still getting the hang of photoshop but I'll have way more time to play around with it if I take an art and design course next year, which I probably will.
I'll post attempt 2 so you can see just how inconsitent my skills are. I think the fact that I did this right after the other lead to me rushing it and it turned out awful. Especially when I tried to add what I thought would be an Ozone layer. Just look at it: what the hell is that?

In both images I have stars in the background. Both were created differently. I'd like to know which people prefer. So if you can ignore the ugly foreground in this second attempt, compare the stars to the other image and tell which style creates a more realistic looking galaxy. Anything you say will only help me to better myself so dig deep and tell me what you really think.

The Sun

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 20:26:46

At 5/23/07 07:58 PM, Schmut wrote: add what I thought would be an Ozone layer. Just look at it: what the hell is that?

Look bud, im really into space art as u can see in my DA and all, so ill give some tips of what i know for stars and ur atmosphere.

First create ur "palnet" in a new layer, then double clik the layer and a window will show up with many tabs on the side and many options.
go to the one that says Outer Glow and play around with the highlighted settings, ull get some basic and very simple atmosphere.

remember that stars aren't the same when u look at the sky, theres black spots where sometimes theres nothing there and some spots were stars are quite clustered .
So, create some layers with some "stars" drawned on them and then erase some parts on each layer.

The Sun

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 20:38:58

At 5/23/07 08:26 PM, Frolikyn wrote: stuff

The tip about atmosphere I appreciate. It was very good advice and I'll use that in future.
hat you said about stars I understood and it's kind of what I did. Well, it's exactly what I did. I'll just need to play around a lot more. Practice makes perfect... almost.
Thanks for the advice.

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 21:41:21

Glad to help man...

POST SOME RESULTS WILL YA?

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 22:06:26

At 5/23/07 04:32 PM, zef7 wrote: and yes I leveled up, it feels weird cuz it looks like I'm much more experienced but I'm the same!

Well get with it buddy. >:C
Level ten is the serious business. We're the coolest levels.

I like the sun image by the way. Mucho delicious.

Response to The Sun 2007-05-23 22:30:43

At 5/23/07 09:41 PM, Frolikyn wrote: POST SOME RESULTS WILL YA?

I'd be happy to. Right now it's twenty past three in the morning, I'm at home and my only access to Photoshop is through college computers. I should be able to afford photoshop once I get a job and stick with it for a little while but considering all the other things I'll need to pay for, that could be a couple of months away or more.
I love photoshop, though... Just not sure whether I should have it as a higher priority than getting a car.
I might download the trial tomorrow (today, after sleep) to practice those things you told me.