Respond to this Topic
VespeneGas
VespeneGas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 05:52 PM, ChrisTheFeral wrote: I haven't actually played it, but what you said to do on the game is encouraging more of these things to happen, it's kinda promoting to kill people.

I reckon it should be taken down

oh wow

Catoblepas
Catoblepas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 05:52 PM, ChrisTheFeral wrote: I haven't actually played it, but what you said to do on the game is encouraging more of these things to happen, it's kinda promoting to kill people.

I played this game on the interwebs. You could kill people in it, it was very fun.

Maybe I should try the same thing in real life? Yeah, I'll just go shooting people, because it seemed so fun on the internets!

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 01:56 PM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: You can't take a game down because it's offensive. It's the principle of the matter.

I Agree

cheshirepus
cheshirepus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 03:33 PM, Abcde123 wrote: In response to Inferno42:
You got fucking problems. Nobody gives a shit? Maybe you and your fucked up friends don't give a shit, but I certainly care and I know that many people around the world care. Learn some compassion and love...instead of being just a complete asshole and mocking the lives of those lost.

I think Inferno might have been playing on the same kind of emotions that Pigpen did right here. To say that nobody gives a shit sounds like a pretty general statement geared more towards pissing people like you off than actually expressing his true feelings toward the matter. And so goes the controversy. Shock value and all that jazz, people play on others' emotions, everybody gets all worked up and the authors revel in the attention they get as a result. Who says they care one way or another if that attention is positive or negative? I think the big problem here is everyone tripping all over eachother trying to reach the tip of Mt. Self-Righteous so they can hang out with all the other moral high grounders and feel better about themselves.

It's not necessarily that "nobody gives a shit," but rather a response to something that people are sick and tired of hearing about. Maybe if we didn't have to hear about the god damn shooting 24 hours a day for the two weeks after it happened, people like Pigpen would've left it alone. And to be perfectly honest about the matter, I really can't find it in my heart to care about it all that much either. I do feel some empathy for the people involved, but you know what? I wasn't involved with the thing and I don't know anybody who was... It's the same with the WTC and the OK City building. I cared for about as long as anyone could be expected to, but without any personal investment in the event, it was pretty easy to move on from... took about a couple hours.
Want to hear something even worse, but something that everyone here knows is true whether they're able to admit it or not?
People cared even less for the astronomical number of people who were killed from that Tsunami on Christmas Eve for all the same reasons. God forbid a model's boyfriend was killed though... we sure got to hear about that one; Oh, and the other 200,000 people I guess, I'm sure they all mattered a lot to us too.

Anyway, that's all starting to digress. My point is that when events get overplayed, people get sick of hearing about it and some respond in the same old fashioned "Fuck you" angst that gets us through our teens. Again, it's not that people literally don't care, but more so that they're responding as a kind of antithesis to an overplayed and overemotional tragedy that by all means pales horribly in comparison to a LOT of shit that doesn't happen in our pristine little world.

I've got a hamburger to eat now, and I don't even know if I had a point anyway, but I'm sure I've probably offended a few vegans now and should probably get put in jail, die, the world would be better off without people like me in it, go hang myself from a rafter, and go back to China... even though I've never actually been there before.
But yeah, hamburger to eat.

Arcad1a
Arcad1a
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 06:41 PM Reply

What is with everyone bitching about his paypal account, I don't see you guys complaining about all the other flash games that only give you a tiny bit of content then ask you to pay, or go to their site just to play the whole game.

start bitching about those, then maybe someone will take you seriously when you talk about his paypal account

finaleve
finaleve
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 06:54 PM Reply

I reckon it should be taken down

No. First off thats retarded, ok? I played Duck Hunt when I was like 2. I have still yet to gain the urge to go kill some ducks, so why the hell would this motivate people to kill others? It's not like there is some subliminal messaging that says "Hey! It's cool to kill!" or something along the lines. You're worst than the god damn politicians out there who try to ban video games.

Arcad1a, those flash games are basically demos. If you like the demo, why not play the full game, right? Sometimes the files are so large it can't be put on NG, so they put it on their own site so it is the full version.
And the P2P games, well if you like it then you'll buy it.

So this is totally different than what's actually happening.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 06:54 PM, finaleve wrote:
At 5/20/07 05:52 PM, ChrisTheFeral wrote:

:You're worst than the god damn politicians out there who try to ban video games.

there is nothng worst than polititicians that want to get rid of video games

SirSloth
SirSloth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 07:08 PM Reply

Dante is right with prett much everything said on this page.

Cericon
Cericon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 07:38 PM Reply

Meh I played it and it was midly amusing I say let it stay on NG.
Besides if things were taken down just cause a people didn't like it Anime and Hentai would be banned

BBS Signature
thelordofcheese
thelordofcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 08:06 PM Reply

It's a GAME! It's only slightly challenging at one point, but it was a quick shoot 'em distraction. Get enough people to see anything and you have a great chance that someone will find it offensive. HOW MANY WWII GAMES ARE THERE? edn.

Inferno42
Inferno42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 08:18 PM Reply

you hit the nail right on the head. I'm tired of hearing about it.

read my blog, posta commenrt, and I'll read yours!

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 08:24 PM Reply

To bad I can't even beat the first level.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Inferno42
Inferno42
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 08:28 PM Reply

I'm just pissed that schools don't do anything about the real cause, bullying. Eric and Dylan were teased for being goth, Cho for being Asian, Jeff wiese for being Natine indian.. The list goes on. You'd think the school would do something, but they love their precoius jocks too much to punish them for bullying.

read my blog, posta commenrt, and I'll read yours!

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 08:24 PM, Yamor wrote: To bad I can't even beat the first level.

I beated the whole thing.

Weirdo
Weirdo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 08:35 PM Reply

It seems to me that people want this game be taken down because it is offensive. However, Nobody has the right to not be offended.

If people did have a right not to be offended, Newgrounds would have down years ago. My clothes would be gone because some people are offended by persons wearing something that came from an animal. My steak dinner would have been taken away due to vegetarians being offended that someone is eating meat. I would have been fined or arrested numerous times for offending people by yelling "fuck" or making some gestures I made.

If this game makes you angry, good! You should be angry and you got the right to give whoever a piece of your mind! I was angry at the Spider-Man 3 movie! Peter Parker cried 11 times for christ sake! I don't want to ban any display of crying made by Spider-Man, I just don't want to see that dumb movie again.

Yes, the V-tech massacre was a awful event that occurd and should never be repeated. People may take years get over it, but some people get over it more quickly then others; And when they do, they will speak what they thought about it without the burden of pain or sorrow in their hearts, and what they say will seem to be cruel to those that hasn't got over it.

However, as cruel is it may seem, the game will stay because nobody has the right to not be offended.

FLCLmonkey
FLCLmonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 09:23 PM Reply

The game is pretty fun if you ask me.

Sure, people may be offended, and it may deal with a tragedy that occured recently, but think about it, the Oklahoma bombing game is still up (and that game really wasn't that great!).

Anyways, who cares if it offends you, just because you're offended by it doesn't make it offensive to everyone, and it certainly doesn't constitute the creator as being a psychopath or whatever. I don't think most of you understand that he was probably aiming for this sort of outrage to be created. He's having fun while doing this, and it doesn't necessarily show his views ont he entire VT massacre situation. He may be poking fun at the event, but think about it: how many of you have cracked Holocaust jokes? You don't to be hating towards the event, you're just having fun. So why can't this guy have the same right?

dsmking
dsmking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 09:34 PM Reply

This game, hm.

Well lets look at the things related to the game.

First is the concept. You are that Seung guy and you go around killing people. You do it through various levels with different objectives. You kill people, you talk to people, you kill yourself. That is the game, and that is that.

The author. Promotes free speech. Says you shouldn't be offended and if you are, tough luck.

The author said he would take it down if everyone gave him money.

Now the incident.

A whacked out asian kid went around and killed people. Largest one man shooting in American history.

Took place at VA. Tech, a university in Virginia. Just a flat out dramatic event.

Now we have a person who made a game. We all knew it was inevitable that a game would be made about iteven though the world would be better without it.

But as far as terms of him trying to promote free speech he is just a liar. He said he would take it down for money. If he really supported that he would never have offered that. He is just being a greedy little kid. A true activist for freedom of speech would never do that so he is just being an attention whore and greedy using the emotions of others to make a name for themselves. Honestly if you knew anyone who was in that shooting, a family member, a friend, would you still make a game like that. would you want to reenact the killing of your loved one. If so you are definitely an asshole who should rethink their existence.

However this is not the first time a game came out like this. There was one made about the calumbign shooting a time back when for a video game contest. But it was disqualified in later rounds since things like that cause to much trouble.

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club
And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature
invisibleprisons
invisibleprisons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 09:51 PM Reply

So is this the biggest troll in the history of the internet yet?

Canas
Canas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 10:15 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 04:54 PM, VespeneGas wrote: Oh, you're pretty fucking serious about this, aren't you? Guess what, Canas. It's a game. Go fuck yourself.

Did you even read what I wrote you dumb fuck? Or did you just automatically assume I was against the idea of a V-tech game?

Renpeacock
Renpeacock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 10:50 PM Reply

i am a virginia tech student...i was directly affected by the shooting...i heard the bullets and saw people jump out of windows...i know people who were killed and injured

i dont think this game is funny or amusing and i think it should be taken down

and to whoever said they hate virginia tech students or think they are to blame is just ignorant...and i mean ignorant in the fact that you dont know anything...obviously you dont go to our school and dont know anything about it...you can't blame us for not knowing cho...i personally cant go out and meet every single student who goes to that school...so just dont say anything if you don't know anything

supyohos123
supyohos123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 10:54 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 10:50 PM, Renpeacock wrote: i am a virginia tech student...i was directly affected by the shooting...i heard the bullets and saw people jump out of windows...i know people who were killed and injured

Do you feel bad for the people who died on 9/11? Did you give a shit when those people died? What about the people who died in Indonesia tsunami or the Oklahoma City bombing? If you don't, then I suggest you check out those little gems.

I-Hate-Spam777
I-Hate-Spam777
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 11:03 PM Reply

So the news thinks badly of it. Well FUCK THEM beasue they never seen anything fun.

Renpeacock
Renpeacock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 11:08 PM Reply

At 5/19/07 12:24 AM, ViperMask wrote:
And fuck you to all of you Virginia Tech students here. Take some responsibility and take some of the blame, bitches.

u asshole!! how could u say that about vt students??

im a virginia tech student..what should we take the blame for?? the fact that cho was psycho?? the fact that people mistreated him as a child?? you tell me

there is no way that 1 student can meet over 26,000 students and identify 1 that is crazy enough to murder random people..i had no opportunity to meet cho and talk to him

so tell me..why am i to blame?? because i never got to meet him?? because my school is so extremely big that its impossible to meet all of the students???

u inconsiderate ignorant heartless piece of shit!! you obviously know nothing about our school!!

voodooKobra106
voodooKobra106
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 5/15/07 04:54 PM, Ross wrote: Does this game have any merit, or is it strictly an exercise in poor taste? Are you offended by it? Did you enjoy playing it? Should it be taken down? What do you think?

Just take it down. It will save the staff alot of unnecessary stress.

Renpeacock
Renpeacock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 20th, 2007 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 5/20/07 10:54 PM, supyohos123 wrote:
At 5/20/07 10:50 PM, Renpeacock wrote: i am a virginia tech student...i was directly affected by the shooting...i heard the bullets and saw people jump out of windows...i know people who were killed and injured

Do you feel bad for the people who died on 9/11? Did you give a shit when those people died? What about the people who died in Indonesia tsunami or the Oklahoma City bombing? If you don't, then I suggest you check out those little gems.

I do feel bad for all of them and i dont think any of that should be made a joke of either...and i think the games about those tragedies should be taken down too...im not saying that only the vt game should be taken down...so dont question the way i feel about anything if you dont know...i do give a shit!

Smokey
Smokey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 21st, 2007 @ 12:05 AM Reply

At 5/18/07 11:39 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote:
Well... ya know what... im not offended by it, and nobody else is either. They pretend to be because they think they are supposed to. The world is a crappy place because nobody truly cared about that shooting unless they knew somebody in it. The reason nobody cared is because that stuff happens all the time. One review of that game said it was too soon for the game to be made.... wtf... too soon ehh? Time should not make a difference, especially since you never cared in the first place. Personally.... i didnt like the game, because it was boring and i couldnt beat it :( lol
too soon eh? I wonder if the survivors of the titanic would shit a brick if they saw
THIS . go ahead and google "titanic slide" ...THAT i think is in poor taste.

Ive ridden down that before.... about 4 years ago... it sucked. i was 10 years old... and my brother was gonna bring his knife stick it in and then slide down but he forgot the knife....

all im sayin is... you didnt care, i know you didn't... dont hide it.

Tokugawa-2006
Tokugawa-2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 21st, 2007 @ 12:11 AM Reply

so the hate goes around in circles, and continues to feed on everyone's opinions and emotions. the game has manifested into something intangible, but felt by everyone. it does nothing by itself, but influences all from the angelic souls to the heartless devils...

all because of a few random newspapers and blogs!?!? seriously i didn't even hear about it till i saw this forum. i think this 'media attention' thing is only seems significant in itself. and this game isn't made by some organization or anyone important, just some high school dropout in Australia!! Nowhere even close to the United States, let alone Virginia... What do we care what he thinks?

and for the v-tech haters, 99.99% of you probably never even HEARD of the school until it hit the news, unless you flunked out of it or something to that degree, which means WE DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK (at least I don't anyway...) SO STFU!

okay let the flame wars begin! i've got my newspaper bunker ready!

fahrenheit
fahrenheit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 21st, 2007 @ 02:10 AM Reply

the game was decided to be on the portal when it made it through the judgement process, obviously enough people felt it wasnt crap so it should stay on. its not racist, pornographic, or worse than other submissions. it should stay up

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.
PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature
ViperMask
ViperMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Game Developer
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 21st, 2007 @ 02:11 AM Reply

At 5/20/07 11:08 PM, Renpeacock wrote:
At 5/19/07 12:24 AM, ViperMask wrote:
And fuck you to all of you Virginia Tech students here. Take some responsibility and take some of the blame, bitches.
u asshole!! how could u say that about vt students??

im a virginia tech student..what should we take the blame for?? the fact that cho was psycho?? the fact that people mistreated him as a child?? you tell me

there is no way that 1 student can meet over 26,000 students and identify 1 that is crazy enough to murder random people..i had no opportunity to meet cho and talk to him

so tell me..why am i to blame?? because i never got to meet him?? because my school is so extremely big that its impossible to meet all of the students???

u inconsiderate ignorant heartless piece of shit!! you obviously know nothing about our school!!

LOL. Learn to fucking spell. And if you have learned to fucking read, then you would of read that you're to blame cause you are part of the people who grew up in Virginia and bullied him. Or is part of that race. I know nothing about your school, that's is true but I don't fucking want to learn about a school home to White and Black racist American pieces of shit. So fuck you, you retarded piece of shit. By the way, tell everyone in Virginia that Hokie is not a real word, ASSHOLE.

scahkruhtees
scahkruhtees
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 21st, 2007 @ 03:00 AM Reply

Personally, the game seems mediocre. Personally, I also believe it's in bad taste.

However, it was apparently playable enough to pass judgment, earning the right to remain. Also, neither my opinion nor that of any other individual should hold enough weight to decide the viability of someone else's form of expression, no matter how gross or grotesque, if it doesn't directly impinge upon the rights of others.

That said, the choice to create was PiGPEN's. As with any decision, there could be repercussions. He accepted responsibility for whatever came when the game was submitted for public consumption. Newgrounds is simply a showcase; when offensive art is placed in a gallery, it's the artist who catches flak (usually, and rightfully so), not the gallery. Websites such as Newgrounds should be treated no differently than any other exhibitor of any other form of media.

In short: let it stay.