Be a Supporter!

V-Tech Rampage

  • 51,905 Views
  • 931 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Addict18
Addict18
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 5/15/07 04:54 PM, Ross wrote: Does this game have any merit, or is it strictly an exercise in poor taste? Are you offended by it? :Did you enjoy playing it? Should it be taken down? What do you think?

I think it should be kept up.

TheSovereign
TheSovereign
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:08 PM Reply

I don't know what the big deal is. But, hey! It's better than the Colembine RPG, at least you get to shoot people in this one!


BBS Signature
Cheekyvincent
Cheekyvincent
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:23 PM Reply

wanting money- how greedy is he?

TheBlackDahliaMurder
TheBlackDahliaMurder
  • Member since: Sep. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 12:22 AM, Abcde123 wrote: May God have mercy on your soul.

I'm atheist. Nice try though.

I still don't care about the dead.


.

BBS Signature
Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 5/17/07 01:51 PM, Abcde123 wrote:

May God have mercy on your soul.

Lol we have internet preaches now?

Ross
Ross
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 02:49 PM, turningthekey wrote: Whoever made that game has a right to make it, but that doesn't mean that they are justified morally. The harm they are doing by making that game is emotional rather than physical, and so they have a right to cause it, but that doesn't make it any more right. While to have a government that works we need to have our laws based on physical rather than psychological protection, that doesn't have anything to do with what is moral.

Newgrounds isn't a government organization, and so they aren't obligated to give everyone a platform. And I hope that everyone at Newgrounds realizes that for me to support free speech I don't have to give everyone equal access to my personal megaphone or printing press. I am not the government and so I am personally responsible for any message I print or otherwise relay. And every person on the Newgrounds staff that has the power to delete that game but doesn't, is personally responsible for the hurt that it causes people.

turningthekey, you made some lucid points. My response would be:

How is V-Tech Rampage causing emotional/psychological harm? No one is being forced to play the game, so I'll assume that the fact that it exists is what causes harm. But couldn't you justify censoring almost anything if your rationale is: "Does its existence cause someone emotional/psychological harm?"

I'm sure if we took a poll asking "Is this game in poor taste, yes or no," the overwhelming majority would vote "yes". But does that justify removing it? If so, where do we draw the line? As soon as 50.01% of some group finds a submission to be done in poor taste, should it be removed?

That's not what Newgrounds is about. Newgrounds is about giving users a voice, outside of the realm of moral judgement (but within some very loose content guidelines). PiGPEN has a right to make that game, and a right to submit it to Newgrounds, and if it passes judgement (which it did) a right to keep it here. You have a right to think he's an insensitive asshat for making it, and many people have exercised that right. But once we take PiGPEN's rights away, the whole thing comes tumbling down.


Ross Snyder - PHP Juggler
If you find a problem on the website, send me a PM.

Fora
Fora
  • Member since: May. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:44 PM Reply

right. But once we take PiGPEN's rights away, the whole thing comes tumbling down.

Why do admins never reply pm's? Only Tom reply pms

Bardock4
Bardock4
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 03:40 PM, Ross wrote:

But once we take PiGPEN's rights away, the whole thing comes tumbling down.

And once we take some ones rights away what does that make us??

LordWurmz
LordWurmz
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 03:50 PM Reply

As much as you hate the game, you can't just remove it because you disagree with the content. All it is, in it's form (Or lack thereoff) is an attention whore, whoring attention, making a game with no dimension to try and upset people. You can also point out his modivation to panhandle-- he wants money to have it removed-- because he knows people will be highly offended by it.

My arguement is this-- He's trying to make a direct profit with this game, not by selling it, but rather he's attempting to extort the money from people who are so horribly offended they would pay to see it removed. In that respect, I think it should be removed. Not because the content of the game is inappropriate, though, because Newgrounds should not be hosting this sort of Free Publicity to such a vile person. Especially one who is out to make a buck exploiting stupid peoples' indignation circuits.

-Wurm

Hemocyte
Hemocyte
  • Member since: Apr. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 04:20 PM Reply

i wonder how Collective Soul feels having there one hit attached to this piece of tripe

Renpeacock
Renpeacock
  • Member since: May. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 05:10 PM Reply

i understand that alot of you support this game and alot of you dont...i know there is free speech and everything but the line has to be drawn somewhere..if some one were to make a game about 9-11 (another devastating tragedy) im sure the government would have their ass...i personally do not support this game and i think only some sick demented bastard would even think of making a game like this...alot of us at VT are still mourning the loss of our friends

i mean what if ur best friend or sister or cousin was killed and someone made a game about it? u would be offended too...u guys have no clue about what we are going through...i personally heard the shots and saw people jumping out of windows to get away..i know people who were killed and injured..all im asking is that u guys be considerate of the people's feeling who were affected by this..to make a joke about people losing their lives is just sick

think about the victims' families...imagine how they feel to be mourning the loss of their sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, grandchildren...and then to have someone make a joke about them losing their loved ones is probably just impossible for them to deal with

so please just be considerate of the feelings of the people who were affected..we are all still trying to cope with this

Maus
Maus
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 05:10 PM, Renpeacock wrote: if some one were to make a game about 9-11 (another devastating tragedy) im sure the government would have their ass

They were made, they are still on the site.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 05:25 PM Reply

oh please I vote a 5 everday for the game

TheBlackDahliaMurder
TheBlackDahliaMurder
  • Member since: Sep. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 05:10 PM, Renpeacock wrote: ..if some one were to make a game about 9-11 (another devastating tragedy)

Been done, and they are on the site.

i mean what if ur best friend or sister or cousin was killed and someone made a game about it?

But they weren't. Using hypothetical situations won't convince supporters of anything.

think about the victims' families

No. Make me.

so please just be considerate of the feelings of the people who were affected..we are all still trying to cope with this

Be considerate of his right to make this due to free speech.


.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 05:43 PM Reply

then maybe the 9/11 games should be took off

finaleve
finaleve
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 05:44 PM Reply

The game has no merit, but hey, screw it. Keep it on there, i don't care anymore. Cause, hey, not everyone has the same humor, so if ya find it funny then cool.

PS: Columbine RPG was decent. It was supposed to be nominated for an award but they kicked it off because of what the game was about.

supyohos123
supyohos123
  • Member since: May. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 06:02 PM Reply

These arguments are just going around in circles. FUCK!

LukeJames
LukeJames
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 06:20 PM Reply

Thoughts: Fun game, retro graphics, held my interest from start to finish.

Side Notes: Ha-ha, Virginia Tech!

Blommestein
Blommestein
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 07:22 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 06:20 PM, LukeJames wrote: I'm an ignorant douchebag.
Side Notes: Ha-ha, Virginia Tech!

Ha-ha! You're a douche and a failure at life!

Notice how all the kids that defended this game, along with the creator, seem to be a bunch of either total dumbasses or kids that are made fun of or bullied? Makes me cheerful that God was way ahead of the game by making them like that. :)

LukeJames
LukeJames
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 07:22 PM, Blommestein wrote:
At 5/18/07 06:20 PM, LukeJames wrote: I'm an ignorant douchebag.
Side Notes: Ha-ha, Virginia Tech!
Ha-ha! You're a douche and a failure at life!

Notice how all the kids that defended this game, along with the creator, seem to be a bunch of either total dumbasses or kids that are made fun of or bullied? Makes me cheerful that God was way ahead of the game by making them like that. :)

It's funny because the only way you can think to insult me is by using pitiful insults and old internet humor, failure at life? Puh-lease, at least slice yourself off a little piece of dignity and come up with your own humour you macro-loving 4chan bred fool.

Okay so what's your argument, am I bullied or a dumbass?
Well obviously you are inferior to me in mental capacity since you use your sheepish tactics and stupid smiley faces. So, since it is obvious you have no grounds to call me a dumbass I'm guessing you're going to say I'm bullied? Wonderful, A+ for the elementary effort, F- for the failure to get an effective challenge set up for me. You're torn apart like the insecure rape-victim you are.

Try again, this time use some logic and stop being such an easy victim.

ChilliDog
ChilliDog
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 07:39 PM Reply

We all knew it would cause controversy.
The only thing I find wrong with this is that he tried to take advantage of the people who were bad talking him. Up until I heard about that I was on his side.


AS: Main

Don't read this sentence.

ChilliDog
ChilliDog
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 07:22 PM, Blommestein wrote: Notice how all the kids that defended this game, along with the creator, seem to be a bunch of either total dumbasses or kids that are made fun of or bullied? Makes me cheerful that God was way ahead of the game by making them like that. :)

Right.
Everyone against the game is right and wonderful and everyone for it is a dumbass or bully victim? And you're calling people ignorant? Do you know what that word means? No, because you're ignorant. Grow up, it's time to learn that there's more than one side to an argument, and you're not always right. Keep in mind, I'm not saying any one is "right" here, I'm just saying, next time have a valid argument for your side that doesn't involve calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a moron. Pull your head out of your ass, you "ignorant douche."


AS: Main

Don't read this sentence.

xanarhost
xanarhost
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 07:49 PM Reply

it should not be taken even though it is offensive it is only offensive because most people dont want to beilive that can happen or relive the event....in my opinion it should stay as a reminder of what can happen and learn from it.......the only problem i see it that hes trying to make a profit out of it...thats my opinion

yannickje
yannickje
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 08:05 PM Reply

hey, what happened, happened.
nothing about this game changes it.
so let it stay.

ill tell you guys a story(really happened!)
my dog died of cancer, but its not like im gonna cry everytime i hear the word cancer.

Maus
Maus
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 5/18/07 07:22 PM, Blommestein wrote: kids that are made fun of or bullied

March 2, 1987 – Nathan Ferris, 12, was an honor student in Missouri, where he finally got tired of being teased. He brought a pistol to school and when a classmate made fun of him, he killed the other boy. Then he turned the gun on himself. He had warned a friend not to attend school that day, signaling his plans, but no one had listened to this overweight loner.

• February 19, 1997 – Evan Ramsey, 16, went to Bethel High School in Alaska with a shotgun. This is the place where other kids called him "retarded" and "spaz." He killed a boy with whom he’d argued and then injured two other students. Then he went to the administration office and shot the principal, Ron Edwards, killing him instantly. Police came quickly and ended the rampage, which appeared to be motivated only by some amorphous rage. Two fourteen-year-old friends who had discussed Ramsey’s plan with him were arrested as accomplices.

• October 1, 1997 – Luke Woodham, 16, worshipped Adolph Hitler, perhaps because it made him feel powerful in light of the bullying he received from classmates in Pearl, Mississippi. When his girlfriend broke up with him, he went into a rage. He slashed and stabbed his mother that morning, then went to school with a rifle and a pistol. Right away he killed his former girlfriend and then another girl. Yet he didn’t stop there. Seven other students were wounded before he ran out of ammunition. He returned to his car for his other gun, and that’s where the assistant principal disarmed him. He complained that the world had wronged him and he just couldn’t take it anymore.
“I killed because people like me are mistreated every day,” he said. “I did this to show society: Push us and we will push back.”
Two members of his group devoted to Hitler were charged as accessories to murder, and others were arrested on the basis of a conspiracy, but those charges were later dismissed. Woodham claimed at trial that he’d been possessed by demons that were manipulated by a member of his group.

Source, bolding in above statements is mine.

Makes me cheerful that God was way ahead of the game by making them like that. :)

God didn't make them that way, other children did.

Fora
Fora
  • Member since: May. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 08:14 PM Reply

There was a movie made as a pardody of the columbine masacre. that guys who made the movies are in jail now because they had real weapons. i saw the movie, kinda sick humour

heliarc
heliarc
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 08:47 PM Reply

Poor taste, yea I guess so but I don't care.

The game itself just stinks.

Smokey
Smokey
  • Member since: May. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 5/15/07 04:54 PM, Ross wrote: You might have heard about this game V-Tech Rampage. In it, you play the person responsible for the April 16, 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech, and it's your job to carry out the notorious events of that day. True to life, the game ends (and you "win") when you complete your mission and kill yourself.

This game's starting to get noticed around the Internet, and as you might imagine, most people don't think too highly of it. BlogCritics described it this way: "The game is riddled with embarrassing typographical errors, the ridiculous screens that follow failure are beyond pathetic, and the choice of music is sure to cause copyright issues. It’s a sad cry for attention, and a miserable use of a tragedy in an attempt to reach that goal." Kotaku.com says, "V-Tech Rampage doesn't bring anything more than shoddy, tacky game play to the table. Free speech and free expression are great. Just make sure you've got something to say."

Not content to stop there, the author, PiGPEN, has set up a page on his personal webpage stating that, if enough people deposit money in his Paypal account, he'll take the game down. Some of the people weighing in on this feel that we should pre-emptively take it down, especially in light of PiGPEN's attempt to profit from it.

Does this game have any merit, or is it strictly an exercise in poor taste? Are you offended by it? Did you enjoy playing it? Should it be taken down? What do you think?

Well... ya know what... im not offended by it, and nobody else is either. They pretend to be because they think they are supposed to. The world is a crappy place because nobody truly cared about that shooting unless they knew somebody in it. The reason nobody cared is because that stuff happens all the time. One review of that game said it was too soon for the game to be made.... wtf... too soon ehh? Time should not make a difference, especially since you never cared in the first place. Personally.... i didnt like the game, because it was boring and i couldnt beat it :( lol

Penboy
Penboy
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Artist
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 09:25 PM Reply

This was on TV in Australia, and they said it was removed from his site, but can still be played on file sharing sites.

Dirge09
Dirge09
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to V-Tech Rampage May. 18th, 2007 @ 09:30 PM Reply

I was in a collab with this guy! :D

HI PiGPeN!!11

I don't really mind it, I think cho was a sick twisted fucker. If you're offended by this game, then you really have far to much sensetivity. It's just a damn flash game. it's not like he's cheering him on, he just made light of a morbid situation.