Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 08:45 AM Reply

Welcome to the

Monthly Audio Contest 2007 - May REDESIGN, FRONTPAGE THEME!

Mac7 - May

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 08:48 AM Reply

Redesign!
- We're all awaiting the rumoured Newgrounds redesign, and whatever exciting things that might come with it. How NG will look when it's launched, only the NG staff knows, but apparently there is need for an NG theme-song!

About the Audio Contest this month
- Make a themesong for Newgrounds! Simple, eh?

- For those of you who remember NG a few years back, there have been a few songs on the frontpage (the NG frontpage, not the audio frontpage). The most popular and representative that have been however, is FDA (Shok) and Lavender Hill Mob‘s well known Endless Handbag NG Loop. This loop (full song; ENDLESS HANDBAG ('98 NG)) have a characteristic that suits NG perfect. It's mellow and smooth, and works perfectly as a background-loop, without being too much in the background.

- Some inspiration could be taken from ParagonX9, who's audio have been looping on and since the creation of the NG Audio Portal FrontPage. Have in mind that something more slow-paced might be to prefer, though.

Contest Awards
Top Ten Songs

#1. 250 USD, a Newgrounds t-shirt and stickers!
#2 - 10. A Newgrounds t-shirt and stickers!

- FrontPage spots for the two highest ranked loops.
- A sig-pic with the winners name on it (for everyone to use).
- Top ten submissions will be announced live by radiogrounds.com DJ PsychoGoldfish.

Entering the Contest, Basic Rules

# It is a good idea to save the .wav or other high quality file, in case Your audio is the winner.
# Time is pretty short on this contest, but perhaps you already have a few suiting loops or so, amongst your workfiles that never was finnished? I know I have... :)
# How long the winning contestant will stay on the frontpage, or what’s going down after the contest is over, only the NG staff knows.

1 - Check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. If you still are unsure what's OK to upload and what's not, check this old thread.

2 - Make your song slaving these rules.

3 - Submit the song to the NG Audio Portal.. This month you have two shots, one old and one new song can enter the contest. The new song must have been submitted to the Audio Portal

4 - Go to this thread and post a link to your audio page. You risk not being in the contest if you do not post links to your audio page, make sure the name of the song(s) are in the post.

5 - If you intend on submitting two songs, please submit them in the same post, it makes it easier for us, and help keeping the thread a bit more structured

6 - Don't come around with crappy alts. And do not break any of the rules stated in this thread. If we find out you do, you risk being disqualified from this contest. Depending on how serious your actions are, you might get banned from the contest for a time. Basic BBS rules apply in this thread, of course. If there are posts that are irrelevant for the contest/spam, a BBS moderator will clean up, meaning your post(s) might get deleted, and you risk getting banned from posting on the BBS for a time.

7 - You should have your submission signed up for the contest in this thread before May have ended, If you cannot post by one reason or another, PM LJCoffee or Rucklo, enter a valid reason why you can't do it yourself, and we'll make sure your contest entry is in.

8 - There will be no changing of contest audios, unless there have been a mistake one way or another. If that is the case, PM LJCoffee or Rucklo and explain what the deal is. Make sure that you're satisfied with your contest entry before submitting it!

9 - We will narrow the submissions down to 10 audios that goes to the second and final stage of the contest. All of these 10 submissions will receive judgment from the judging crew. This way we get a high judge/audio rating, and thus a more fair judging.

10 - Enjoy making your audio, and GOOD LUCK!!!

Extra notes
- The judging will be done similar to the previous MAC´s. If you are interested in judging, PM LJCoffee or Rucklo. Some users will be asked to judge for previous judging efforts. Note that judges aren’t allowed to compete.

- Rules, guidelines and other things that this contest have, may change as time goes by. If anything changes, you will find out by staying updated to this thread.

- If you have any bright ideas for future contests, you can bring them to this thread. Here you can receive feedback from other users and previous contest-creators. The thread also have a purpose to co-ordinate contests in the Audio Forum, so the most can be gained from each contest, instead of having many small getting little attention.

Most recent Audio Contests in the Audio Forum
MAC7 - March
MAC7 - February
Mrac06 - December
Mrac06 - November
MAC6 - October X-MAS theme
MAC6 - August TANKMEN theme

MAC7 - March Crewmembers and their function.
LJCoffee - Chief Judge.
TomFulp - Provides the physical awards, along with running this website, newgrounds.com
PsychoGoldfish - DJ who announce the winners live on radiogrounds.com
Denvish - BBS Moderator, puts the top two audios on the newgrounds.com front page.
DarKsidE555 - List master, updates the list of the new submissions.
Metalcan - Sig-pic artist. He's been making the sig-pics for all Mac's so far.
Rucklo - Contest manager.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 08:49 AM Reply

And, SBB, no, not May Redeisgn. But I really don't know... Let's make a wish, shall we? ^^

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 09:31 AM Reply

Hmm, sounds interesting! I have a short loop I've been working on, I could lengthen it and maybe submit it!

JoeyNukes
JoeyNukes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 09:54 AM Reply

This is an outrage! I won't participate. We already have a theme song. I'll think about it though.

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 10:22 AM Reply

Bassynth - Old. Its my first entry. Its not a perfect loop, but people seemed to like it.

1NJ1 - Mornin' Newgrounds! - New entry. Its pretty good, nice and calming.

Yay first done :)

PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 10:45 AM Reply

Is there any restriction on length? Can you perhaps give me a rough minimum and maximum length before I start writing my little heart out? ;)

Zodiak7
Zodiak7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 12:56 PM Reply

Cool contest, I hope some good entries come out :)

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 12:57 PM Reply

Yeah, I was thinking of taking one of my old songs and suping it up a little bit... There isn't gonna be too much change, but itl be a little different... Does that count as an old or a new song?

And yeah how long?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 01:02 PM Reply

XO!!!!!!!

OX!!!!!!!

MUST... MAKE... LOPS!

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 02:55 PM Reply

There IS no time limit of the song, but it's most likley that a loop will be extracted from the winning submission, rather than making the frontpage really heavy with a full song. But hey, I really don't know, Tom is more secret than a ninja about the redesign, damnit! :)

But how the hell do one make a good NG theme-song... anyone have any good influences, signed or not-signed artists?

Para-Noid
Para-Noid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 06:24 PM Reply

Yeah I probably will make a another song for this contest, but I got one song fresh for you all to hear.

Para-Noid- Dictator

NEED BEATS??? I GOT EM ELSEWHERE

I sell beats here Matt Mattik

BBS Signature
HybrisHybrid
HybrisHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 06:38 PM Reply

Whoo hoo about time.
And cash prizes again? Damn thats spiffy, makes me change my mind about judging this one. If I don't get anything done I will for sure though. Damn so busy but I'm sure I have something laying around I can submit.

DSMagnum
DSMagnum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 12th, 2007 @ 10:00 PM Reply

I gotta say, this is probably the most complicated MAC I've ever seen. Trying to figure out what would be best suiting for Newgrounds while trying to keep it basic and soft. I always saw DnB to be fitting, but that won't cut it if it's going to be front page. Man, I might skip on this one.

ChrisOrosco
ChrisOrosco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 12:07 AM Reply

Here is my new entry - New Entry

And I figured this one, if not making a mark in the previous contest, would fit pretty nicely with this one. - Old Entry

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 07:09 AM Reply

At 5/12/07 10:00 PM, DSMagnum wrote: I gotta say, this is probably the most complicated MAC I've ever seen. Trying to figure out what would be best suiting for Newgrounds while trying to keep it basic and soft. I always saw DnB to be fitting, but that won't cut it if it's going to be front page. Man, I might skip on this one.

See, now you just MAKE it complicated! This contest is the most open one we've had since the MAC's started, really! Noone is gonna say that "this and that" is not NG-sounding, but you yourself are entirley free of spawning and being inspired to find out how NG "sounds"!

Go with your feelings on thisone is my advice, just let it flow and see what comes out!

NeoMarine
NeoMarine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 01:43 PM Reply

Remind me to enter this one... maybe on the following weekend i'll put something together. Although I would have to say making a theme song for Newgrounds is quite the challenge but a cash prize is cool :).

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 01:53 PM Reply

well the majority of the crowd comes here to listen to electronic music, so i'm afraid i'm quite outclassed here, still, it's going to rock like no other making something tutelly NG. Something fresh, powerful, epic.

SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 03:03 PM Reply

At 5/13/07 01:53 PM, MaestroRage wrote: well the majority of the crowd comes here to listen to electronic music, so i'm afraid i'm quite outclassed here, still, it's going to rock like no other making something tutelly NG. Something fresh, powerful, epic.

Don't you start with that. I have yet to see you outclassed once. :p

Just because you don't make electronica doesn't mean your music doesn't own. :D

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 03:10 PM Reply

now now Solus, lets not play this game. We all know that because of brainwashing today's generation prefers teh awesome saw, over teh awesome cello. The challenge this time around, is going to be putting up a nice level of energy.

I figure we should do, one ambient piece. Or something that can be listened to for hours, and another RIPPING tune. One that gets old if you listen to it like 3 times in a row, but damn it, the first time leaves them in a self induced coma!

SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 5/13/07 03:10 PM, MaestroRage wrote: I figure we should do, one ambient piece. Or something that can be listened to for hours, and another RIPPING tune. One that gets old if you listen to it like 3 times in a row, but damn it, the first time leaves them in a self induced coma!

Sounds like fun. Comas are fun, right? But yeah, that's gonna be the major problem for this. Ambience and energy in a package that doesn't get old.

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 5/13/07 03:10 PM, MaestroRage wrote: now now Solus, lets not play this game. We all know that because of brainwashing today's generation prefers teh awesome saw, over teh awesome cello. The challenge this time around, is going to be putting up a nice level of energy.

Well, not necessarily. It is just A LOT harder to get a professional sounding classical piece than a professional sounding electronica piece. The majority of Newgrounds doesn't get it, but I do. This one time I tried my hand at classical, and it sounded like a chorus of cats dying. I actually realize how hard your stuff is.

What you need to do is make something short and incredibly epic, like movie trailer epic. You would have a good shot at winning if you did.

HybrisHybrid
HybrisHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 06:12 PM Reply

Maestro you're the shit if you don't quit this nonsense and enter the contest I'll cry. I will also kill ever panda left in this god forsaken world.

Is that what you want?

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 06:53 PM Reply

At 5/13/07 06:12 PM, HybrisHybrid wrote: Maestro you're the shit if you don't quit this nonsense and enter the contest I'll cry. I will also kill ever panda left in this god forsaken world.

Is that what you want?

This guy mean business! Seriously, if you make something orchestral that rock, who knows what will be on the frontpage? :O
It's worth a shot though ;)

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 07:08 PM Reply

So rucklo would adding some things to an old song count as an old song or a new song?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 07:57 PM Reply

Zero Level old

Can Opener new

Syntrus keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006
The Madness of Kid Triangle

BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Mac7 - May May. 13th, 2007 @ 09:36 PM Reply

At 5/13/07 06:12 PM, HybrisHybrid wrote: Maestro you're the shit if you don't quit this nonsense and enter the contest I'll cry. I will also kill ever panda left in this god forsaken world.

Is that what you want?

I never said I was gonna quit. I just said it was gonna be a real challenge.

I have no intentions of not taking it on though >:}

And way to make me look like an attention whore! Just because i'm the first wrist orchestra musician in the world!

<emo>

preffertobedead
preffertobedead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Mac7 - May May. 14th, 2007 @ 12:21 AM Reply

Spy in Troubles 3

Im in...have nothing to lose...and Spy in Troubles 3 sound good like an intro/outro song...

=)

Speed Beast 2 ! <-- If you have a listen..leave a review.
PFTBD's AUDIO

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to Mac7 - May May. 14th, 2007 @ 12:29 AM Reply

At 5/13/07 09:36 PM, MaestroRage wrote:
<emo>

Don't be emo Maestro! I will try and compete, more so to be against you because it could be fun to see who does better!

Though it will be you lol

Come on Maestro, lets have a little comp of our own just to see who does better in this MAC >=)

Also, how have you been? PM me!

=)

Btw, this means I'm in =P
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Mac7 - May May. 14th, 2007 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 5/13/07 07:08 PM, Envy wrote: So rucklo would adding some things to an old song count as an old song or a new song?

You could always remix your old material and submit them, of course, but then I'd expect you wouldn't submit the old version as the old, and the remix as new... :)

In this case, it's up to you how much you'd like to remix it of course, but just in case, make sure you make clear what old song of yours it's remixed of. Also, try to put some effort into it, and not just switch a pad or so ;)