00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NobeastcanDefeatme just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fifth grade war

8,560 Views | 71 Replies

Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 14:08:43

My fifth grade year was like no other. Every day, I had something to look forward to. I had a part in what is easily the most fun thing I have ever experienced. In those days, during every recess, I would march in the grand fifth grade army. To war.

WAR.

It was my sworn mission to defend my comrades from the sixth grade menace. Armed with a four-square ball or perhaps a basketball, I appeared innocuous enough. This weapon, though not the most accurate thing, inflicted MASSIVE damage on a direct hit. Some people laughed at us (girls mostly) and could not take us seriously. By the end of the year, however, having a ball tucked under your arm was the equivalent of walking around in public with an AK-47 strapped around your shoulders.

In our wars, it was not some pussy "if you get hit your out" kinda thing. No, it was only considered a loss if your entire army has been backed into a corner of the battlefield and is being pelted by enemy fire to the point of tears. (It was an unspoken rule, though, that we begin in as close to the same positions as we could.) To make it worse, in the event of a complete massacre, those dastardly sixth graders would make us all lie down on our backs while they pelted us with basketballs at point-blank range. These battles were not only exciting, but also intense and at times complete chaos.

That's not to say that we were simply mobs of thugs striking at random. I don't know about our enemies, but the grand army of the fifth grade launched only offensives that were well thought-out and thoroughly planned by our leader and self-proclaimed "General Guy," (from Paper Mario) Thomas. A Filipino, Thomas was much taller than most of us and slightly overweight. However, he was built like a tank and could shrug off crippling blows from the sixth grades greatest warriors like they were foam balls thrown by Ryan Adamson. (more on him later, if I remember) Not only was he a powerhouse in this manner, but he also was a brilliant tactician. Under his leadership, we gained much ground against the sixth graders. I was sporadically his third-in-command, ranking behind a boy named Chandler Gunn.

Despite the nature his name implies, he was quiet and reserved. He was at least a head shorter than most other guys in the grade and had albino hair. When Thomas was absent or deemed "unable to serve" (sitting out recess for throwing food during lunch) Chandler took charge. He was dim and under his command we had a win/loss ratio of about 1:2. We would often find that we would gain ground under Thomas one day and lose twice as much the next under Chandler. Not a very good officer overall. However, he was frequently in trouble and had frail health, so I managed to take charge surprisingly often.

Though I was not the leader Thomas was, I was certainly better than Chandler. When I was in command, we never gained much ground, but we lost ground just as often. As far as I remember, there was only one noteworthy battle that occurred under my authority. At that time, we were being relentlessly pursued by the sinister agents of the sixth grade. We were (forgive the Star Wars reference) in our own Hoth: our "base of operations" was tree atop a gentle slope on the edge of the playground. One final strike by the sixth grade would surely be the end of us. When I saw the sixth graders marching across the blacktop, I prepared for the worst. My army met them in the barren landscape past the slope characterized by wood chips and a fence separating it from the blacktop. We had almost the entire recess left to defend against their relentless onslaught. With my strategy (I was in the ZONE) and a bit of luck, they never made it to the beginning of the slope.

Another memorable battle was under Thomas' command. At that point our base of operations was "the outdoor classroom," a gazebo in the very corner of the big field. (a bit bigger than a typical soccer field) We watched in terror as the sixth grade massed on the opposite corner of the field and charged toward us. Despite our time to prepare for their attack, they overwhelmed us and took our base with ease. Most of my comrades got away, but a friend of mine and I were incapacitated by those fiends, but before they began their ritual of massacring us (as I call it, "bayoneting the survivors") one of them stopped the biggest, meanest, and least merciful lug out there from breaking my nose and knocking out half my teeth. In less than a minute after that, our allies realised we were missing and launched a counter-attack to free us. This, however, was unsuccessful, and though we had not reatreated yet, it was clear the sixth grade was whupping our asses.

BUT, it was at the end of the year when the most epic battle in the history of humankind occurred. Now, I'm not one to just throw around the word "epic." But from the perspective of a fifth grader, it appeared to be the battle of Thermopylae. Since it was the final day of school, we had 2-3 periods of recess. The first ten minutes (or so) were a desperate arms race. Our factions gathered every ball on the playground (many through force) for the impending battle. After that was an awkward calm. It lasted for minutes but seemed like hours. Finally, we struck. Gathering all of our forces thogether for the assult, we charged their stronghold, the same corner they gatehred in before the battle I mentioned earlier.

At first we appeared to be at a stalemate; neither side making much progress. By halfway through our recess, the sixth grade was gaining ground. By this point, all the other grades, including girls, had gathered to watch. Eventually, we were backed into a corner of the field. I prayed Thomas had a plan. While we were definitely in trouble in respect toward losing ground, we had one major tactical advantage: we could always fall back to the gazeebo. I held my ground alongside other proud fifth grade warriors and waited for him to give the order to fall back.

"DOOO NOOOOT
RETREEEEAAAT!"

The words stunned me. I looked back at him in disbelief, to see what the hell he was thinking. He had in hand the large green rocking chair from the gazeebo and flanking him were two of our mightiest soldiers. The warriors in front of him stepped aside to allow him to charge at his target: the informal leader of the sixth graders, John Braucher. (Brauchman? I know it sounded a lot like Bauman...) Our opponents recoiled in shock. We used the opportunity to hammer them, gaining at least fifteen yards in ten seconds. Then, the recess bell rang. The war was over. After a year of blood, sweat, and tears, we had survived. It was among the best days of my life. I was told that Thomas and John later signed an informal "peace treaty."

When I entered sixth grade, I was psyched about the wars. This year, we had a new PE coach and recess monitor, but little did I know that this would be the downfall of all fun ever. Ryan Adamson, whose stength is referenced earlier in this post, also played a major role. He was not only weak, but also very overweight. He also would not take orders from ANYONE. If he doesn't take anything from teachers, he certainly didn't tolerate Thomas and I. He frequently tried to fight, but never got anywhere due to these qualities. Therefore, the fag did what he could to be the downfall of the ball wars. More than once he faked injuries delivered by the new fifth graders we were fighting (pushovers, by the way) or other sixth graders who were "acting out violent tendencies." Less than a month into the new school year, our psychotic recess monitor had banned throwing balls at people (punishable by TWO FUCKING WEEKS of suspension)

The ball wars were over. It was among the worst days of my life.

tl;dr

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 14:15:13

tl;dr.

But seriously, good story. Well thought out and grammatically correct. Interesting, as well.

8/10

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 14:16:08

Well written.

8/10

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 14:18:02

Interesting, Incredibly.

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 14:22:22

Wow thats awesome!

If only my 5th grade was like that. All we did in 5th grade was play b-ball or manhunt. Sometimes we had a "so called war" but it kinda sucked but it wasn't that bad.
5th grade was still fun no matter what.

Well written :)

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 14:25:11

Oh I just want to add 10/10

D
That was epic :D

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-22 15:09:18

the most i ever had was dodgeball in gym which was nowhere near as exciting as that

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-25 19:22:00

i like sock monkeys and that was a little long

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-25 19:24:09

I was expecting you to say : FOR SPARDAAA!!!!!
or something to tha effect.
Yeah, fifth grade was a GOOD year for me.

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-25 19:28:03

My fifth grade consisted of loathing in self pity/hatred and stabbing people with makeshift knives on the playground. :\

I am Darknessium, I do not forgive, I do not forget.

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-25 19:31:10

9/10.

That would make a great movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-29 00:43:59

Wow, thats like reading a summary of my fifth grade year.... except we didnt use the recess balls for fights.

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-29 00:51:55

um, my fifth grade sucked, we played tag and sting...

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-29 01:19:01

At 4/29/07 01:15 AM, DestroyerofMan wrote: n­i­gger

are you that stupid? Most likely you'll get deleted. Or reported to the FBI

My userpage! Visit for Upcoming news..

Half the people on Newgrounds dislike me..including the mods. they always ignore me.

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-29 01:21:18

At 4/29/07 01:19 AM, IdiotClown wrote:
At 4/29/07 01:15 AM, DestroyerofMan wrote: n­i­gger
are you that stupid? Most likely you'll get deleted. Or reported to the FBI

for some reason dobio and zerok allowed it to go starting at approximately 12:57 ng time and i saw no slump in it until mightypotato logged on just recently

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-29 01:43:35

I fucken loved four square i was always king and them bitches tried to beat me i hate those cheaters who think cause they brought the ball they were alltime king!

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-04-29 01:45:36

This is certainly an odd time for this topic to be revived.

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-05-09 18:19:52

That was....the best story ever! It was so amazing how you could strike a large quantity of nostalgia into me in seconds! (Even though I just stopped having recess three years ago >.<) The story, truly was epic. While I never had wars like these, I had something similar, but not nearly as kick-ass. Now I wanna start something like this. I am going to start a dodge ball war!

IT WAS ALL A DREAM.

Thank you CagedSilhoutte for the sexy ass sig!

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-05-09 18:26:19

That was cool, I wish all dodgeball and stuff was like that, it would be awsome. It was like when I used to play soccer, older kids would come onto the field, and try to beat us. I would run through the field like a bear and bash kids down and kick others in the balls with the soccer ball to go farther, it was fun.

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-05-22 18:35:35

How many people would be involved in said wars?

I mizzed diz shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-06 16:50:21

At 5/22/07 06:35 PM, labor wrote: How many people would be involved in said wars?

Typically 20-25 on each side

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-06 17:01:18

nice story and you luck SOB 5th grade sucked for me and we didn;t have any wars
beacuse 6th grade was middle school

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-06 17:10:25

great 9/10

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 20:44:16

i wonder what the equivalent of the 5th would be here in Brazil

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 21:05:18

9/10

That was truly a first-hand account of one of the greatest recesses ever. My 5th grade was full of fear and loathing.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 21:09:27

Great story. I thought of 300 when I was reading that.

Your lucky your childhood was cool, mine just consisted of making home movies in the backyard.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 21:11:22

9/10.Very well written and action packed.Had all the makings of a movie.5th grade for me was the best also.

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 21:19:05

did this actually happen

this sorta happened with me except is was me and my best friend... againt half the fifth grade(at least 50 kids)

clik teh kittah , u no u wan 2

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 21:20:31

I didn't read it

0/10

BBS Signature

Response to Fifth grade war 2007-06-13 21:22:13

At 6/13/07 09:19 PM, elgrabadula wrote: did this actually happen

Yes. Every word of it.

Your name seems familiar...