Here are some things that I think NG definately needs:
1. Searching is important. You should be able to search with option buttons for just games.
2. There DEFINATELY needs to be more ways to view random content. I think even on the front page make a way to randomly link to all content, or exclusively games or movies.
3. There should be a way to make it so that if two authors make a game, it can be listed in both of their drop-down menus. This is a MUST! I am working with people on projects now, and it's just not the same if it's not listed under my drop-down.
4. I know you don't want to promote demos in the portal, but people are doing it way too much. Maybe you should put a selection in there so that you can choose movie, game, or demo. I guess this probably won't solve anything, but demos are driving me nuts.
Either that, or make the demo section a whole section on it's own, and not so exclusive as the alpha section. If the demo isn't all that developed and shouldn't be on there, it's our duty to delete it by giving it a 0.
The preview section could also have a place for people to give suggestions on how to make games better, or ideas that people have for games, but who can't make it themselves.
5. It would be cool if there was a way to keep highscores in a file along with the swf on your site. I'm not sure how that would be done, but maybe when we upload, put a spot with a checkmark saying you want to use CGI score script. Even top ten scores would be great!
Well, I'm out of ideas for now...