00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Contests, Opportunities, etc.

9,203 Views | 68 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-07 23:24:51

DO NOT CHANGE NEWGROUNDS
it looks GREAT!!! i say keep it like this for at least another year or so before you redo it... by then, there'd be new OS's and everything, new browsers (i know, i've seen alphas) which would probably support a multitude of new features and things... I say wait... please.. you already changed the classic colored button interface.. that was tight...

Keep the design that you already have... cause then it's MUCH less likely that people would take the time to click around to get the news instead of being brought stright to the news.

Although the new concept layout looks nice, it does need much touching up and the menu for it is just not a good way to do it. Ive been through about 90 million different ways to do a menu on my site and finnaly settled for the all to overused menu-on-the-left-table-cell design... it's just too easy..

whatever.. KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-07 23:40:29

the proposed NG re-design looks awesome!!! Use it!
BTW, did you ever add tose items that can only be found by a search?

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-07 23:41:15

Speaking of crossovers, don't forget Po and the Sheep making an appearence in my ALL YOUR BASE parody. Actually what IS the legality of me doing that? I wanna know since i sorta forgot to ask permission, but i wanted to have the movie be a surprise.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 00:12:56

At 3/7/01 10:19 PM, I_am_Mordred wrote: I like the idea for the new frontpage design, but it is too big. It should fit it the space for "Step ta this" and the chicken killing thing. Don't take away the posts on the frontpage, those are fun to have.

I actually like the posts on the frontpage too, easy access to the news - but PLEASE!!!!! You MUST keep the chickens on the front page! I must've killed about 4,000 chickens last month alone. If you do not comply, all your base will belong to me! Make your time!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 00:57:45

At 3/7/01 04:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: First of all, check out the All Your Base collection we just made. We have the original movie by Bad_CRC, in addition to 3 spoofs! I am working on getting a fourth showcased on here. Be sure to let me know if you see any that we don't have!

Tom, sorry it was late. I made a quick one:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/frames.php?id=13131

It's not that good though. But I'm not expecting this thing to be on the Top 5 and stuff anyway.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 01:21:17

My opinion: get rid of frames (or maybe just a top or bottom frame), try new format for front page. Keep option to change music on front page, but add option to stop music on Portal page. Get rid of the auto-submit (non-technical term!) on the Portal, because it seems the number of damaging/annoying files being submitted (i.e. floods, blank entries) is growing. Umm, that's all I can think of, but I guess it is easy for the people who do not do the work to be critical. :p

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 05:10:13

I like the demo intro page, the aesthetics are more professional. The catergorized sections couldn't get more organized using only 3 options. The only problem I would have with the proposed design is if it creates more clicks to get to a particular section, even if it's only 1 more click.

I enjoy the setup you're using now. The first thing I do upon visiting this site is read the news, which I'll have to click to with the proposed design. Then I login before visiting the Portal and view/vote the new submissions for that day. Then I go to the BBS to view any interesting posts.

As long as the number of clicks don't increase I'm happy. The frames don't bother me because of the settings my monitor is set at, but any extra room for content is always welcomed, as long as text links are always available at the top/bottom of each page.

Now for some unrelated suggestions =)

If you decide to keep content on the intro page, it would be nice to see a poll implemented for inquiries that arise such as the redesign. The poll would be used as a quick reference to what the majority of users want, and the NG News BSS would be to gather specifics. I only suggest this because I feel you'd get a better overall view of what the majority wants. Graphs and stats are always much easier to decipher, and I'm sure you'd get more user input. It's much easier to click radio boxes than write a post, and I'm sure the people who usually write posts would continue doing so. I know Ross could easily whip this up.

Another suggestion is for the Portal. A "Hall of Fame" section should be created. Qualifications: 50,000 views/500,000 votes/minumum rating of 3.0. Why have this section? To sorta honor and protect the work of such authors. Works listed in this section can still be viewed, but can't be voted upon. I didn't think this was needed before the Exp Points system was activated, but now I do. I'm sure you noticed that the Top Submissions of All Time ratings have been dropping about 0.03 every week. Pretty soon the Top submission of all time will be 3.0, roughly a C+. That's pretty pathetic to the authors who have worked hard on them. And it's not because of the avg user who votes accordingly on the movie upon the first viewing, it's because of the elite minority of users who vote constantly on the top submissions just to bring them down. I don't have the avg user mentality and say fuck it all, so I'm sure I'll be alone on this subject.

That's all for now =)

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 05:13:37

Another suggestion is for the Portal. A "Hall of Fame" section should be created. Qualifications: 50,000 views/500,000 votes/minumum rating of 3.0.

I meant 50,000 votes and 500,000 views =)

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 06:11:55

2) Whenever I do a site redesign, people complain. Stop complaining and help me come up with better ideas! I am considering a frontpage that starts users off with THREE big options. Right now I am thinking "Community", "Features", and "Portal". "Community" would include stuff like news, the BBS, chatroom, cams, etc. "Features" would be in-house productions and such, while "Portal" would be the user submitted stuff. The frontpage would look something like this. What do you think of this idea?

Not too keen on the new frontpage design, but that's partly because I'm at work right now and I'm only on a 233Mhz :P

Finally, do you agree that we should ditch the frames, or do you like them?

The frames are great, they make the site really easy to navigate, I say keep 'em!!

-Ed

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 07:03:34

hey, i say ditch the frames and use the 3 point thing u discused. sounds better than this that is here now. MUCH!!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 08:53:36

i think the idea looks great...i love the tank and the dude...but perhaps the back ground can be better...or maybe user define

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 11:43:40

I think your new design for the site is great!
Keep up da good work!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 12:34:51

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 12:47:10

For the new layout i think you should keep frames in some way, even if its just the small bottom one. Personally i like the site as is, but i know it has to change sometime.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 13:21:07

mmm...since the portal has basically become ng, or at least a big part of it...isnt it about time u submitted the features to the portal rather than giving them a whole section? most of them would do well....

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 13:34:40

At 3/7/01 04:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: First of all, check out the All Your Base collection we just made. We have the original movie by Bad_CRC, in addition to 3 spoofs! I am working on getting a fourth showcased on here. Be sure to let me know if you see any that we don't have! When someone posts a movie on The Portal, they can put your username in as a referer. In other words, if you get people to post their movies to The Portal, you will get bonus experience points! The better the movie performs, the more points you get!!!

We have a TON of other opportunities for people to get involved, so listen up close!

1) Ross received a ton of response to his posting about school violence (see below). It is very apparent that our users have strong opinions concerning school violence and gun control. This is a great opportunity for our first "Flash debate".

The idea behind this was inspired by The Legacy of Gun Control, a movie currently in The Portal. The author is using Flash to state his opinion on guns. Could you have done a better job? Give it a try!

Create a movie that is either for or against guns in society. Do we have the right to bear arms? Make something good (effort, please!) and submit it to The Portal. We have no idea what the response will be, but we are curious.

2) Whenever I do a site redesign, people complain. Stop complaining and help me come up with better ideas! I am considering a frontpage that starts users off with THREE big options. Right now I am thinking "Community", "Features", and "Portal". "Community" would include stuff like news, the BBS, chatroom, cams, etc. "Features" would be in-house productions and such, while "Portal" would be the user submitted stuff. The frontpage would look something like this. What do you think of this idea?

If you could break down Newgrounds into 3 sections, what would they be and how would you group the content under each of them?

3) Everyone can help me with this one - I am doing an article about character crossovers in Flash cartoons. Examples would include Pico making a cameo in NG Sticks 2, or Eskimo Bob appearing in The Final Slayer.

I need people to point out crossovers in The Portal. I can't remember where most of them are! I know that Scrotum the Puppy makes some appearances, as well as other characters. Wherever you see someone elses Flash character in another persons Flash movie, let me know! I want to make note of all of them!

4) The BIGFATPUSSY remix competition is still going on! Check out Bigfatpussy on mp3.com, and submit your own remixes! Winner gets a shirt!

KEEP THE SITE AS IT IS ITS GOOD I LOVE THE FRAMES!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 14:13:47

A crossover is when a character from one movie shows up in a completely different movie. Like Flintstones meet the Jetsons. Or Hank Hill making a cameo on the Simpsons.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 14:42:07

At 3/7/01 04:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: First of all, check out the All Your Base collection we just made. We have the original movie by Bad_CRC, in addition to 3 spoofs! I am working on getting a fourth showcased on here. Be sure to let me know if you see any that we don't have! When someone posts a movie on The Portal, they can put your username in as a referer. In other words, if you get people to post their movies to The Portal, you will get bonus experience points! The better the movie performs, the more points you get!!!

We have a TON of other opportunities for people to get involved, so listen up close!

1) Ross received a ton of response to his posting about school violence (see below). It is very apparent that our users have strong opinions concerning school violence and gun control. This is a great opportunity for our first "Flash debate".

The idea behind this was inspired by The Legacy of Gun Control, a movie currently in The Portal. The author is using Flash to state his opinion on guns. Could you have done a better job? Give it a try!

Create a movie that is either for or against guns in society. Do we have the right to bear arms? Make something good (effort, please!) and submit it to The Portal. We have no idea what the response will be, but we are curious.

If you could break down Newgrounds into 3 sections, what would they be and how would you group the content under each of them?

3) Everyone can help me with this one - I am doing an article about character crossovers in Flash cartoons. Examples would include Pico making a cameo in NG Sticks 2, or Eskimo Bob appearing in The Final Slayer.

I need people to point out crossovers in The Portal. I can't remember where most of them are! I know that Scrotum the Puppy makes some appearances, as well as other characters. Wherever you see someone elses Flash character in another persons Flash movie, let me know! I want to make note of all of them!

4) The BIGFATPUSSY remix competition is still going on! Check out Bigfatpussy on mp3.com, and submit your own remixes! Winner gets a shirt!

dude the design looks great

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 15:13:50

I'm not sure how complicated this would be, but instead of frames, how about we go back to something reminescent of the old NG, with a menu that stays constant throughout NG navigation? My only reasoning is this: sometimes when you go to click into the BBS or something, and whatever you're looking at won't load properly, you have to click on "Back" or something else, whereas a consistent menu would allow you to just hit "Refresh".......Just a thought...

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 16:10:24

as for the site design, i prefer they way it is. the new one would require useres to hunt down and find stuff, and then have to trek all over the site. i much rather having everything @ my fingertips on the front page. you see everything all at once, and you have more options and such.

the frames are a bitch sometimes, especially when i makea bookmark and it just sends me to the front page.
they also don't show up right in 800x600 resolution, but i've gotten used to them.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 16:16:55

OH SWEET JESUS! I'm really digging that new front page! Keep it up, NG!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 17:59:11

i hate the new desighn theres far too much to do to get to the good stuff. its too abstract and if i was a first time user i wouldnt go anyfuther than the index as it is too overwhelming i wouldnt know what to loook at first. i think you should keep it as it is or edit it slightly. i like to have evry thing on the home page it keeps everything to hand and give you alot of info about things without having to wade through loadsa rubbish. the frame are good i dont thik there is a better way to do it other than the way it is done. i think yuo should leave it for a while and make more content and pico 2! content is more important than the way it looks which is already good.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-08 23:51:18

At 3/7/01 08:26 PM, Bigmouth2320 wrote: I dont like your front page now and i think the one u made is worse. I think you should go back to the origional one!

Yeah baby! The one before the "mustard site" was the best one yet! Plus I liked that funky/funny music loop by LHM! I think the original layout thingy I'm thinking of is called the jewels layout or something. Do it! Now!!!!! Don't make me assassinate you Tom and replace you with a robotic clone that responds to commands through my emails!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 03:02:44

You should be able to navigate ANYWHERE ON NG from the front page. Put Community, Features and Portal on the top navigation bar where Home, Features, Assasin, yadda yadda go. Rolling over one of the three would make a submenu appear, and those could have submenus etc... for an example of GOOD navigation over a website, go to http://www.wizards.com . Yes, It's the site for the company that makes the pokemon CCG, I'm sorey! It also has a good navbar. To make the frontpage visually appealing and less predictable, have a giant picture link of the newest attraction front and center, maybe some smaller icons to one side, what's new and portal daily/weekly top 5 on the other.
|Daily| |Side | Whats |
| Top | Main |Movie | New |
| 5 | Attraction | | |
------- |-------| |
|Weeks| |Side | |
| Top | |Game | |
| 5 | | | |
-------------------------------------

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 03:04:24

Dammit! And change the fonts on either the bbs or the forms so that text images look right!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 11:54:38

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 14:35:13

* I think the new layout looks great - the three sections are nice and gives people a much better overview. An idea: I think that when you click the "More..." buttons, the extra choises should appear in the flash menu and not on a new page - to save time (but maybe that's what you were planning).

* I'm tired of the frames, so getting rid of them is a good idea (in my opinion).

* I think the news should still be below the menu; or else it won't be read by enough people.

* Whatever you do, some people are gonna get pissed about it... so do what you think is best.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 15:23:29

The site is just fine. There are things that do not have to change(yet), like newgrounds, but you guys in the US are playing a cold war against the crimminals. If they get guns you get guns, if they get bigger guns you get bigger guns, ect...
The people who make the guns are the only real winners here.
And if you fear your own goverment, get an other. You are the people. You have no need for guns in democraty to defend yourself.
Your goverment can't handle it, because you don't suport it as you should.
You don't suport the the people with power because you don't like them and you hate to pay tax.
I say you are to proud to change your out dated democraty. Claim your power.

Power to the people!

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 15:46:08

I like the look of the new. site thingy. Frames are good.

Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. 2001-03-09 15:51:38

Hey everyone, please forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but please go to www.woz.org, the site belonging to *the* Steve Wozniak to see somthing quite amusing!