TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 04:21 PM Reply

First of all, check out the All Your Base collection we just made. We have the original movie by Bad_CRC, in addition to 3 spoofs! I am working on getting a fourth showcased on here. Be sure to let me know if you see any that we don't have! When someone posts a movie on The Portal, they can put your username in as a referer. In other words, if you get people to post their movies to The Portal, you will get bonus experience points! The better the movie performs, the more points you get!!!

We have a TON of other opportunities for people to get involved, so listen up close!

1) Ross received a ton of response to his posting about school violence (see below). It is very apparent that our users have strong opinions concerning school violence and gun control. This is a great opportunity for our first "Flash debate".

The idea behind this was inspired by The Legacy of Gun Control, a movie currently in The Portal. The author is using Flash to state his opinion on guns. Could you have done a better job? Give it a try!

Create a movie that is either for or against guns in society. Do we have the right to bear arms? Make something good (effort, please!) and submit it to The Portal. We have no idea what the response will be, but we are curious.

2) Whenever I do a site redesign, people complain. Stop complaining and help me come up with better ideas! I am considering a frontpage that starts users off with THREE big options. Right now I am thinking "Community", "Features", and "Portal". "Community" would include stuff like news, the BBS, chatroom, cams, etc. "Features" would be in-house productions and such, while "Portal" would be the user submitted stuff. The frontpage would look something like this. What do you think of this idea?

If you could break down Newgrounds into 3 sections, what would they be and how would you group the content under each of them?

Finally, do you agree that we should ditch the frames, or do you like them?

3) Everyone can help me with this one - I am doing an article about character crossovers in Flash cartoons. Examples would include Pico making a cameo in NG Sticks 2, or Eskimo Bob appearing in The Final Slayer.

I need people to point out crossovers in The Portal. I can't remember where most of them are! I know that Scrotum the Puppy makes some appearances, as well as other characters. Wherever you see someone elses Flash character in another persons Flash movie, let me know! I want to make note of all of them!

4) The BIGFATPUSSY remix competition is still going on! Check out Bigfatpussy on mp3.com, and submit your own remixes! Winner gets a shirt!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
phatmatt-jonny
phatmatt-jonny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 04:30 PM Reply

I haven't even read all of this yet. I just wanted to tell everyone that there was another shcool shooting in a catholic school in Pen.

What the hell is wrong with people? Killing yourself is one thing, but killing innoccent others is totally different.

phatmatt-jonny
phatmatt-jonny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 04:41 PM Reply

ok now that I've read the whole thing here is what I think:

I think that the page-layout you're showing is EXELENT, but I really like the frames. Honestly, I don't see a huge need to change anything. Just group the sections together a little better, change the front page and BOOM you've got a winner!

As for the X-overs. Pico/Eskimo Bob would not be cool. Bob really bothers me for some reason. I'll watch him alone, but I don't think that he and PICO are on the same level.

joekool311
joekool311
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Tom,

I dig the present layout, but if you must change it into three sections, i say you should have flash stuff (portal, which would link to features, etc.), text stuff (NGMag, NGLit), and community, which would encompass fan-net, BBS, Chat, and any online games you want to implement.

redfxdotnet
redfxdotnet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 04:53 PM Reply

I find the frames useful for navigation and signing into my account... but I can't really speak for people with small monitors.. it probably kills a lot of real estate for them.

And I actually like the layout the way it is right now, of course it has to evolve sooner or later, but that sample is a pretty drastic change. Hmmm... News, Features and Portal seem like good sub-sections though.

As for the crossovers... didn't that stickman from Wade's movie appear in stick slayer? as well as a bunch of other movies? I think that stick dude has been in a few.

MaxiMillionHoe
MaxiMillionHoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 05:11 PM Reply

What would really kick ass ( it kick ass but more... )
is that when u go over an option u see the canon move to point it!!!

Contests, Opportunities, etc.

Sargoth
Sargoth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 05:14 PM Reply

Heres my thoughts on the site re-design:
Although i may have lost track of time (which often happens in the windy mazes of my mind) but it really wasnt that long since your last redesign, and since people complain everytime, i wouldnt be in such a hurry to change it. Of course Newgrounds is a bit complicated at the moment, but people must consider the huge amounts of content which is up for grabs at the low cost of nothing!
However, if you want to re-design, my thougts are as follows:
1. Frames are good, they keep things arranged better. If people are having problems with viewing them, its there own systems fault. I know a new computer isnt cheap, but my system is year and a half old and runs 1024x768 fine on a 15" monitor.
2. I like the three button idea, its simple, and acomadates the different types of user on Newgrounds. Perhaps though, i would leave the main 'Newgrounds House Team News' on the front page, as well as new features, as this is often the only thing i want to read quickly when im in a hurry but want to keep up-to-date with progress (and hopefully play a new, good, game!)

Thats all i have to say on the re-design front, all thats left is a small comment on the pro/anit guns flash debate you mentioned. This sounds interesting, it may even bring out the intelligence of some Newgrounds viewers and a good discussion is formed! I may even try something myself looking from the UK (no-guns) point of view.

MaxiMillionHoe
MaxiMillionHoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 05:16 PM Reply

But i really don't understand what u mean by Crossover?

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 05:37 PM Reply

If you could break down Newgrounds into 3 sections, what would they be and how would you group the content under each of them?

hmmm, difficult one,
but i believe you'll make the right choise

i don't know, newgrounds is cool and it will stay cool, no matter how it looks like :)

KDGE
KDGE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 05:49 PM Reply

The frontpage would look something like this. What do you think of this idea?

I think the frontpage is pretty good but keep the frames. It is a lot easier to rame the site with them. The new frontpage looks pretty cool and I think it would be helpfull to Newgrounds. Your doing an awesoem job with the site Tom, keep up the good work!
KDGE-NG rocks

Ravanos
Ravanos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 05:51 PM Reply

3) Everyone can help me with this one - I am doing an article about character crossovers in Flash cartoons. Examples would include Pico making a cameo in NG Sticks 2, or Eskimo Bob appearing in The Final Slayer.

There's Rainblo Bright, Sloth and Reading Rainbow, the many Keblur rip offs...

By the way, what's the legality of "borrowing" from someone else?

Toad
Toad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 06:27 PM Reply

I like the proposed new front page, but there should be a link to "random portal entry" on it in the portal section. There isn't even a link to "random portal entry" on the main portal page. I need more links to random portal entries!!

EvilWallPaper
EvilWallPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 07:09 PM Reply

the new front page should be sweet if you pu the news posts underneath the main flash thing

the top frame does make it easier to navitgate newgrounds just i never use the bottom frame once ive logged in .
could you make the top flash menu toggle between the main links (portal, features, game ...) to the login and the other links

Tripps
Tripps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 07:14 PM Reply

i think the front page is fine but the three options thing is better and the cross over character thing only works on so many levels... like my magic hobo is in everything I do (jesus i put it in one report about homeless people and the school gets pissed cause you cant represent hobos in a negative way, jeez those fuckers are pushy) but my movies are shit so...

Cannedham
Cannedham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 07:14 PM Reply

Hey Tom,
As one of the oldest fans of newgrounds I have seen plenty. In fact, I was a contributor to the Original Portal back in the day. My talent has grown and I am working on a new cartoon about a fucked up commercial for the Yamaha Trimoto.
But, the real reason I am repling to your message, is that I had liked the new user interface except for one tiny detal. I liked the tank and soldier, but the way the daily portal entrys were listed I didn't like. Perhapes you could have the top entrys under portal and at a side bar in the portal you could use for the things you have under the portal now.. well cya

Zapa5
Zapa5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 07:17 PM Reply

To NewGrounds - - - - >

PLEASE enough with the PopUp's

TY
Zapa5

lilblackLX
lilblackLX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 07:23 PM Reply

2) Whenever I do a site redesign, people complain. Stop complaining and help me come up with better ideas! I am considering a frontpage that starts users off with THREE big options. Right now I am thinking "Community", "Features", and "Portal". "Community" would include stuff like news, the BBS, chatroom, cams, etc. "Features" would be in-house productions and such, while "Portal" would be the user submitted stuff. The frontpage would look something like this. What do you think of this idea?

I think the layout you have now is nice, but I'm really luvin the new one you made. There's so much stuff on the front page right now, that it's a good idea to break it all down into a few sections.
As far as frames go, they kind of annoy me sometimes, I'm one of those people with a small monitor :) but they really make the site much easier to navigate.

BulletProofCupid
BulletProofCupid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 07:33 PM Reply

At 3/7/01 04:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: First of all, check out the All Your Base collection we just made. We have the original movie by Bad_CRC, in addition to 3 spoofs! I am working on getting a fourth showcased on here. Be sure to let me know if you see any that we don't have! When someone posts a movie on The Portal, they can put your username in as a referer. In other words, if you get people to post their movies to The Portal, you will get bonus experience points! The better the movie performs, the more points you get!!!

We have a TON of other opportunities for people to get involved, so listen up close!

1) Ross received a ton of response to his posting about school violence (see below). It is very apparent that our users have strong opinions concerning school violence and gun control. This is a great opportunity for our first "Flash debate".

The idea behind this was inspired by The Legacy of Gun Control, a movie currently in The Portal. The author is using Flash to state his opinion on guns. Could you have done a better job? Give it a try!

Create a movie that is either for or against guns in society. Do we have the right to bear arms? Make something good (effort, please!) and submit it to The Portal. We have no idea what the response will be, but we are curious.

I need people to point out crossovers in The Portal. I can't remember where most of them are! I know that Scrotum the Puppy makes some appearances, as well as other characters. Wherever you see someone elses Flash character in another persons Flash movie, let me know! I want to make note of all of them!

4) The BIGFATPUSSY remix competition is still going on! Check out Bigfatpussy on mp3.com, and submit your own remixes! Winner gets a shirt!
baflash
baflash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 08:05 PM Reply

I think you should use the new layout, the front page has become too cluttered with lists and news. Though I like it now, I think a think a change would be nice.

Brian-Beaton
Brian-Beaton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 08:20 PM Reply

Frames drive me fscking nuts. Especially when the page is having trouble loading and ya have to right click to refresh. Please Please Please, for the love of god(<- replace with charished thing) get rid of them.

If they must stay, limit it to the bottom navigation bar... please. Or give the user the choice to bookmark the frames or non-frames page.

Also... a cookie to keep the music off.

And then I'd like to see Ross and you do an Irish jig while your at it. Sound good?

If my demands are not met, I will be on the net in seconds registering my disgust. Ph34r! :)

Kamikaze
Kamikaze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Yeah, man, keep that design! In my opinion, that is the best design yet! Awesome! I hope that new design makes it. It rocks.
Only thing that's missing, is my site :)

Bigmouth2320
Bigmouth2320
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 08:26 PM Reply

I dont like your front page now and i think the one u made is worse. I think you should go back to the origional one!

Bigmouth2320
Bigmouth2320
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 08:30 PM Reply

one more thing: STOPA THE POP-UPS

newjack
newjack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 08:33 PM Reply

make a section that showcases quality flash games (pico, NG sticks, streetlife, keebler) cuz the
portal is too random

vop
vop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 3/7/01 04:21 PM, TomFulp wrote: Finally, do you agree that we should ditch the frames, or do you like them?

DITCH THE FRAMES!
then visit - Voppunism.com

fourchinnigan
fourchinnigan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Filmmaker
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 10:01 PM Reply

The new splashpage you are proposing looks much more professional. The current one isn't very balanced or visually pleasing. For the new page, I say shrink the tank some and make space for at least a portion of the current news. The news usually has some rather important or topical info and I don't think a lot of people will read it if they have to seek it out instead of being confronted with it upon entry. I like the frames, it makes navigation easier. You may want to shrink the top frame a bit though if possible. As for the three categories, I think the 3 you have chosen cover the gamut of what is currently on Newgrounds and what will likely come in the future.

How long before the memberships(subscriptions) go into effect?

i-am-Mordred
i-am-Mordred
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 10:19 PM Reply

I like the idea for the new frontpage design, but it is too big. It should fit it the space for "Step ta this" and the chicken killing thing. Don't take away the posts on the frontpage, those are fun to have.

The frames are ok. Keep the frames.

V-JOLT
V-JOLT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 10:42 PM Reply

crossovers are cool as hell , if anyone likes any of the guys in my movies , i think it would be funny as hell to see them in other peoples movies , ass beard , magical bearded bob ,that horny redneck who tried to get it on with the lorax , let me know if anyone is interest in me doing voices , or somthing along those lines for there movies . i'll be glad to help out !!!

Keithjmc
Keithjmc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 10:50 PM Reply

NO! DO NOT change newgrounds...its fine the way it is. the frame and page is great and should not be touched!

Silent-BJ
Silent-BJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Contests, Opportunities, etc. Mar. 7th, 2001 @ 10:54 PM Reply

No! Dont change the design! This one has great navagation with a sleek look! People just say crap and complain. Its not worth getting rid of this.