New Topic Respond to this Topic
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 02:56:05 Reply

At 4/20/07 02:26 AM, Grammer wrote: You rely on personal attacks waaaaaaaay too much. Sort of like cellardoor.

Pardon me?

Use the PMs if you keep feeling the urge to stick your stir-stick dick in this thread, mastered by cellardoor.

And leave your cowboy on, it looks good on you.

We gladly feast upon those who would subdue us.

BBS Signature
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 03:19:09 Reply

You don't have a conflicting argument, let alone a coherent one.

Your main point was......?

BBS Signature
cellardoor6
cellardoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 03:24:53 Reply

Lazydrunk... Grammer...

You know, I appreciate a good flamewar but at least try and discuss something involving the topic. You two have occupied more of the thread with your entirely unrelated back and forth bickering, so change your tune and actually argue about gun control... or you can just GTFO.

Yay, Obama won. Let's thank his supporters:
-The compliant mainstream media for their pro-Obama propaganda.
-Black Panthers for their intimidation of voters.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 09:56:21 Reply

At 4/20/07 02:12 AM, JoS wrote:
This is why I support the licensing idea. You go through the background check to get your license originally. If something happens that woudl cause you to not be able to buy a weapon (criminal or mental health) you license is revoked, just like a drivers license. You have to take a basic test that deals with the safe operation, handling and storing of a firearm as well as the laws surrounding guns, just like you do for a drivers license.

It's a fair idea the way you put it, but over time politicians would see to make the test harder and harder, then include a shooting accuracy test where they slowly keep making it harder and harder to pass, like shooting the target at 50 yards with a snub nose .38, I've tried it, and a snub nose has about 5% accuracy at that range.. unless you have some kind of extensive training with one... even then its not gonna be worth a shit.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 17:15:54 Reply

At 4/20/07 05:09 PM, Grammer wrote: Cho shouldn't have been allowed to buy a gun, because he was ruled a danger by a court. I hate repeating myself.

I disagree. He should've been allowed to buy a gun, and, irregardless (!) of my last posts, should've been trained how to fire it properly before leaving the premises with it.

SO THERE

BBS Signature
CaptainQuartz
CaptainQuartz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 17:42:34 Reply

At 4/19/07 10:25 PM, cellardoor6 wrote:
At 4/19/07 09:52 PM, Boltrig wrote:
At 4/19/07 09:31 PM, cellardoor6 wrote:
You think taking guns away from regular people will solve it? Obviously it didn't, it made it worse.

The idea is, when law-abiding, responsible citizens are disarmed, criminals are emboldened because they can prey upon a disarmed citizen population. This makes crime go up.

That's a vastly more reasonable conclusion than your idea that taking away guns from law-abiding citizens will stop criminals from using guns illegally.

This is something of a mass truth right here, as of two years ago, I had someone in my house who was attempting to steal shit....thankfully for me, My grandmother has a gun in the house, easily to access incase of this situation..He heard me with the gun, and I fired a warning shot at him. Then he ran, and he dropped everything he attempted to steal.sa

As for the "Gun Control" stuff, yeah, it's totally all gun control fault..

Sarcasm..

Yeah, he was picked on and thrown around and alone, that doesn't contribute to anything?
Remember, Parents are ALWAYS good and cheerful..
And the fact he was from Korea! More than likely seeped in Anti-American and Communist morals..So, yes, it's all gun controls fault..

Idiots..
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 19:18:34 Reply

I believe hand guns should be banned.
They are good only for killing people.
They are easily hidden, so they are /or can be carried without anyone realising it.
You have the right to own a gun, why does it have to be a handgun.
Buy a rifle or a shot gun, great for hunting and for shooting practice & your ready to stop the invading armies you all seem to fear there so much.

I will never be able to understand the mentality of Americans, you have a major terrorist attack that kills over 3000 people at the World Trade & Convention Centre.
The Nation mourns & rightly so.
You change your judicial system, on how terrorists are treated, you create a new enforcement branch called the Homeland Security & you give them broad & sweeping legal power.
All that for the death of 3000 plus American's.

Last year over 11,000 Americans were murdered by handguns.
As many or more the year befor that, & the year befor that etc.

11,000 dead and you do nothing, but try and mask that the problem is handguns.
That is what is wrong ladies & gents.
P.S. I own 2 rifles & a shot gun my grandfather taught me to hunt & shoot, I believe that owning a gun is a priviledge not a right.

I am saddened by the terrible crime committed in Virginia, it just all seems so senseless to me.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

uhnoesanoob
uhnoesanoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 19:45:43 Reply

At 4/20/07 07:18 PM, morefngdbs wrote: I believe hand guns should be banned.

And for defending your self against someone who wants to kill you.

I will never be able to understand the mentality of Americans, you have a major terrorist attack that kills over 3000 people at the World Trade & Convention Centre.

A terrorist attack not having anything to do with guns.

You change your judicial system, on how terrorists are treated, you create a new enforcement branch called the Homeland Security & you give them broad & sweeping legal power.

Yup, and most of the guns were gotten on the black market because you can trace legal guns, so you want the guns only in the hands of criminals, great thinking champ.

cellardoor6
cellardoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 19:51:40 Reply

They are easily hidden, so they are /or can be carried without anyone realising it.
Buy a rifle or a shot gun, great for hunting and for shooting practice & your ready to stop the invading armies you all seem to fear there so much.

Um currently I'm more concerned about the dope smoking criminal that wants to jack my car or break into my place, or even mug me on the street. A shotgun or rifle isn't going to help you out in that situation.

And how many of those murders were committed by legally owned handguns? Only a small portion. How many of those murders were committed by people who attained their handguns illegally? The vast majority.

Therefore banning guns doesn't make any sense because the people committing the murders will NOT get rid of their guns if a ban is enforced, and they certainly won't refuse to buy them illegally through the black market, thus making banning handguns entirely pointless, counterintuitive, and actually counterproductive.

You didn't even read the links did you? In the UK they were just as collectively dumb as you are. They thought that banning handguns would reduce handgun crime, they were very mistaken. Their handgun crime actually doubled within 6 years, and at that rate has probably tripped by today. And now, they still have just as many handguns, except now the only people who have them are criminals, who are the ones actually committing the crime. And now, the people who would never commit a crime in the first place are the ones who can't get guns.

Don't you see how utterly dysfunctional that view is? To ban handguns? Because the people who obey the law, are the people who would never use handguns in crime in the first place!!!

BBS Signature
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 20:29:42 Reply

At 4/20/07 07:18 PM, morefngdbs wrote:

It's way more fucking complicated than just 3,000 lives. September 11th marks a day where our economic center, national defense center, head legislature body and/or supreme court all were targetted for destruction. Even though 3 targets were hit, the intent to cripple our nation partially succeeded. First, by destroying the towers and second by further sucking our resources attempting to catch the actual perps and eradicate those who support their intent; the war on terror.

It's not just 3,000 that got zapped in one day that changed the rules, but the state of the union.

P.S. I own 2 rifles & a shot gun my grandfather taught me to hunt & shoot, I believe that owning a gun is a priviledge not a right.

I am saddened by the terrible crime committed in Virginia, it just all seems so senseless to me.

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 21:51:36 Reply

At 4/20/07 07:51 PM, cellardoor6 wrote:
Don't you see how utterly dysfunctional that view is? To ban handguns? Because the people who obey the law, are the people who would never use handguns in crime in the first place!!!

;
Make it illeagal to manufacture hand guns.
Have the police- homeland Security- (after all they are responsible for maintaining security in the U.S.) gather as many hand guns up & destroy them.

No longer grant permits for hand guns. make selling them or passing them on to family etc. a crime.

10 maybe 20 years from now you will have much less hand gun deaths.

There is no way there is an easy solution to removing such a public threat. That doesn't mean it can not be solved.

People will still kill people.
Criminals will still get guns.
But until this asshole who murdered these people in Virginia , committed this crime he wasn't a criminal, but he was an ex mental patient. Stricter requirements wouldn't be such a bad idea if say MENTAL ILLNESS means no handgun for you.... fuck no bullets for you either.Maybe if guns weren't as easily available if there were no legal gun sales with out strict review, prepareing for something like this might get more notice

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 21:54:27 Reply

At 4/20/07 09:51 PM, morefngdbs wrote:
At 4/20/07 07:51 PM, cellardoor6 wrote:
;
Make it illeagal to manufacture hand guns.

Guns last hundreds of years.

Have the police- homeland Security- (after all they are responsible for maintaining security in the U.S.) gather as many hand guns up & destroy them.

Good luck. Watch the dead bodies pile up around LOTS of houses.

No longer grant permits for hand guns. make selling them or passing them on to family etc. a crime.

Maybe. Maybe we'll have significantly less people that would need to be shot.

There is no way there is an easy solution to removing such a public threat. That doesn't mean it can not be solved.

By creating more problems?

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 21:55:36 Reply

Sorry for the double post

Iam for gun control.
I am not for banning the non criminal citizen from the right to bear arms.
I believe owning a rifle or other long arm should be regulated, not banned.
Regulated is the key word folks.

Bajjer
Bajjer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 21:57:10 Reply

Giving way to controlling guns is just another way of controlling the people. Let them control the people, not the guns. That, surely, is a sign of freedom.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 22:02:22 Reply

At 4/20/07 09:54 PM, LazyDrunk wrote:

the police- homeland Security- (after all they are responsible for maintaining security in the U.S.) gather as many hand guns up & destroy them.

11,00 plus a year in the U.S. right now ,already sounds like a big "FUCKING"pile to this dumbfuck Canadian.

I doubt that very much, but why can't the courts decide instead of a pissed off individual (s)

In solving BIG problems , there is potential to have small problems to deal with.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 22:45:57 Reply

At 4/20/07 07:51 PM, cellardoor6 wrote: You didn't even read the links did you? In the UK they were just as collectively dumb as you are. They thought that banning handguns would reduce handgun crime, they were very mistaken. Their handgun crime actually doubled within 6 years,

Of course, if you read the article, you'd know that those are just crimes in which a handgun is reported, which is rising in part due to the rising number of crimes using replicas.

What would be more relevant would be crimes in which someone was injured by a handgun.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 22:48:03 Reply

doesn't work.

you probably don't want to hear this, but hand guns are often used in hunting, especially dangerous animals that charge, like boars.

so can a knife, what is your point?

because they are practical and compact.

the only invading army I'm worried about is a criminal endangering my family and I'll be god damned if i let some criminal hurt someone I love, all because a bunch of crybaby gunsnatchers took away my 1 means of defending my family.

British senses are tingling.... this has nothing to do with gun control! the terrorists used jets, not handguns to bring down the twin towers, they also used small blades to take over the jets.

if you say so.

Yep, thats the way it works.

people die, simple as that. 11,000 isn't that many considered how many people die in car accidents, around 41,000 http://www.unitedjustice.com/death-statistics .html and I don't hear you bitching about dropping speed limits, or hammering down on drunk driving.

your grammer is terrible... and your logic is flawed. a person with a well sighted scoped rifle can kill many more people than 1 nut with a handgun out in the open. Perhaps not at 1 time...

Going to the toilet in elementary school is a privelege. Self defense is a right.

yeah we all feel that way. personally, I believe that issuing hand guns to the students at universities would cut down on the violence at school. this may sound insane but think about it. if the 32 students had guns, 1 of them would have put a bullet in ole Cho and it would have been over much faster.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 22:51:07 Reply

At 4/20/07 10:45 PM, Elfer wrote:
Of course, if you read the article, you'd know that those are just crimes in which a handgun is reported, which is rising in part due to the rising number of crimes using replicas.

replica or not, if the BELIEVES he has a gun pointed at him, then he isn't exactly going to take his chances on it not being real.

What would be more relevant would be crimes in which someone was injured by a handgun.

not really, crime is crime. However looking at tehe handgun deaths and injuries would show its own trend.

LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 22:57:11 Reply

At 4/20/07 10:02 PM, morefngdbs wrote:
At 4/20/07 09:54 PM, LazyDrunk wrote:
the police- homeland Security- (after all they are responsible for maintaining security in the U.S.) gather as many hand guns up & destroy them.

11,00 plus a year in the U.S. right now ,already sounds like a big "FUCKING"pile to this dumbfuck Canadian.

A few million gun owners that will NOT tolerate their firearms being confiscated by a government agency....hmm. At least you've got an accurate self-image.

I doubt that very much, but why can't the courts decide instead of a pissed off individual (s)

What? Pissed off individuals are proven to use methods other than firearms in achieving their goals. Don't use that phrase. Use "responsible citizens" instead. Are they that rare up there?

In solving BIG problems , there is potential to have small problems to deal with.

11k a year is not a big problem. Not one that opens a can of worms that will inevitably kill more good people than it'll protect.

What basis or precedence are you using in assuming your Constitution-altering stance on weapons bans?

Is it experimental to you? I'm curious how you come to your conclusion . . . is 11,000 alot to you?>

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-20 23:39:33 Reply

At 4/19/07 10:50 PM, JoS wrote: I actually have explicitly stated in this thread I do not advocate banning guns. Where you got this idea I do nto know.

I think I was responding to someone else...either that or a general comment on how I believe that the idea of banning guns (of any type) would futile...it was not meant to be directed as a response to you...

First: This guy was demented to the point that he wanted to die to get the attention he could not get while he was alive. Nothing would have stopped him from getting a gun.
Again does not mean we shoudl make it easy for him. People seem to think that buying a gun on the black market is like going to Wal-mart. there is no sign saying illegal guns this way. It is do-able but it is nto easy, certainly not as easy as buying legally in Virginia. Alot of black market handguns in the US come from Virginia.

My point on this is that this case should not be held up as an example of "why we need gun control"...this guy obviously displayed the intention to carry out his attack no matter how difficult we made it for him.

However, I do agree that even though in this case prevention before execution was not going to happen...we still should not make it easy for him...hence my opinion that resident aliens should not be allowed to purchase firearms and that we need to look at how we screen for mental illness...

Should we also allow people to bring guns into highschools to shoot the next Eric and Dylan?

Yes...but strictly regulated. For example I would propose the following caveats:

1) Faculty or staff only.
2) Over 25.
3) Intense training.
4) The person with the HS CC endorsement would be kept strictly confidential.

We agree on almost all the same points, except maybe the point of allowing them into schools and shit.

How often are their shootings on Universities campuses? Now how many schools are there in the Country? The odds are probally you are more likely to be hit by lightning or win the lottery than get killed by a school shooter. So what are the chances that if you do carry a gun to school that it will ever be required. I think its an invite for disaster.

I agree that it is statistically improbable that a person with a CC will ever use it on someone at their campus. However, since Universities and Schools have issues of funding and security why not utilize resources that may be a little unconventional but at the school's immediate disposal?

In the case of University why not let former/current military and law enforcement carry weapons? How many lives could've been saved at VT if a veteran would have had the means to put Cho down rather than allow him to rampage at will?

Remember, I'm not talking about a wild west free-for-all but a rational and reasoned set of guidelines and rules as to who would be able to carry and under what conditions after intensive training...

I think we are inviting disaster by not looking at alternative options...

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 00:08:04 Reply

At 4/20/07 11:49 PM, Grammer wrote: Sometimes I feel that guns are more commonly used to commit crimes than they are used by civilians to prevent them.

Sometimes I feel that computer are more commonly used to commit crimes than they are used by civilians to prevent them.

What R teh Logik?

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 00:27:58 Reply

At 4/20/07 07:18 PM, morefngdbs wrote: You change your judicial system, on how terrorists are treated, you create a new enforcement branch called the Homeland Security & you give them broad & sweeping legal power.

This is actually an argument for more liberal (loose) gun control...

Brushing off the statistics that about 42,000 Americans die a year in auto accidents...

P.S. ... I believe that owning a gun is a priviledge not a right.

You know I have a theory I'm working on that in countries where there is a minority and majority population where there is ethnic tension you will get a genocide if there is an imbalance of arms. IE: one side (usually the majority) possesses either the majority or entirity of arms in that country. In Somalia, Darfur and Yugoslavia this appears to be the case.

In the US however, there one thing standing between blacks and all out genocide was the fact that although they could not vote or ride in the front of the bus they were still allowed to possess shotguns and other firearms. This way they were often (but not always) able to defend themselves against the ilk of people like the KKK (the one time terrorist arm of the Democratic Party).

So as you can see firearm ownership is not a privilidge but a right that guarantees all other rights...

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 00:39:48 Reply

At 4/20/07 11:49 PM, Grammer wrote: Sometimes I feel that guns are more commonly used to commit crimes than they are used by civilians to prevent them.

Sometimes I feel the internet is more commonly used to stealing programs, music, and hooking up with underaged girls.

Sometimes I feel that catholic priests get into the business to hook up with altar boys.

Sometimes I feel that the 2 political parties work against each other in an effort to keep the nation divided to keep themselves in power.

so... what's your point?

cellardoor6
cellardoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 00:50:09 Reply

I'm sure thats true. But what the hell is your point?

The vast majority of crimes committed with guns are by people who don't legally own those guns. Therefore it makes no difference whether or not the guns in the hands of law abiding citizens are counteracting crime, because most law abiding gun owners aren't using their guns for crime in the first place.

It's an oxymoron to ban legal ownership of guns, because the only people that will obey those laws are the people who wouldn't use guns illegally in the first place.

BBS Signature
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 01:23:53 Reply

At 4/21/07 12:58 AM, Grammer wrote:

What R teh Logik?
You're pretty dense if you can compare killing thousands if not millions of people every year, to at worst, downloading child porn, or hacking.

And fraud. And a stable environment for terrorist communications. You're pretty stupid if you can't understand the power of linking millions of computers and think child porn is the worst of it.

Do you really think in such simplistic terms? You toss a whimsy opinion out with a hope tied to the string of a chance you might have someone look up to what you say.

Sorry, but it seems to me guns are used for more harm than good. In the hands of civilians who aren't hunting, anyways.

You just want attention.

BBS Signature
JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 01:30:21 Reply

Gun-free zones

The problem with the notion some people put forth about how shooters will go where they won't be challenged, Cho and many other people who commit these types of shootings plan on dying anyways, so the fact someone there will have a gun and could shoot them is not a deterant. Its a suicide mission, they are essentially already dead (if they dont kill themselve steh cops will or a judge will).

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
LazyDrunk
LazyDrunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 01:39:24 Reply

At 4/21/07 01:30 AM, JoS wrote: Gun-free zones

The problem with the notion some people put forth about how shooters will go where they won't be challenged, Cho and many other people who commit these types of shootings plan on dying anyways, so the fact someone there will have a gun and could shoot them is not a deterant. Its a suicide mission, they are essentially already dead (if they dont kill themselve steh cops will or a judge will).

Or someone in the immediate vicinity when he first goes bonkers . . . ?

I'd just like to add that I think signs that absolutely outlaw guns attract more negative attention from potential criminals than an establishment boldly claiming, "Guns Welcome".

BBS Signature
cellardoor6
cellardoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 01:51:43 Reply

At 4/21/07 01:01 AM, Grammer wrote:
At 4/21/07 12:50 AM, cellardoor6 wrote:
I'm sure thats true. But what the hell is your point?
I'm starting to think the cons of guns outweigh the pros, of course. Except of course in the case of hunting, and the people who need them. Police officers and whatnot.

Wait... something to mention:

There are between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually

DGU stands for "defensive gun uses"

Who knows how many murders, rapes etc could have been committed had the victim not had a gun to protect themselves?

The vast majority of crimes committed with guns are by people who don't legally own those guns.
source plz

Oh I have a source. But that doesn't make common sense to you? It doesn't make sense to you that being a criminal who uses a firearm, that they probably couldn't get a gun legally in the first place? You disappoint me.

Take a look

Most gun crimes are committed by people who cannot legally own a firearm; sales to such people are by definition illegal. ATF data show that a tiny fraction – 1 percent – of gun dealers are the original source of 57 percent of the guns police later recover from criminals; guns from these stores make their way, directly or indirectly, into illegal gun markets.

Hmmm...

Well fuck, why don't we just abolish all gun control laws so everyone who wants to protect themselves can?

Because its entirely reasonable to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. But it makes no sense to keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. It makes absolutely no sense to ban guns, when the only people who obey the bans are the people who would never commit a firearm crime in the first place.

BBS Signature
D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 08:52:55 Reply

At 4/19/07 06:23 PM, Demosthenez wrote:
Your gun crime has risen while your guns have been banned. What facts exactly are you disputing?

The alleged fact that the Dunblane massacre happened because of strict gun control in the UK - it didn't, so to use the word "proof" in your topic header is therefore justified . As I said (and, indeed, Boltrig as well) have we had a widescale gun massacre since? No, FACT. I also stated we have had gang-related shooting, but that's through illgally importing a gun, and that's usually one person at a time.

Since the Dunblane massacre, the US - home of the Second Amendment - has had Columbine, Santee and Virginia Tech, and 14 others to take into account. So, does this mean the right to bear arms is working?

Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Gun Control Does Not Work (proof) 2007-04-21 10:01:49 Reply

At 4/20/07 10:51 PM, Korriken wrote: replica or not, if the BELIEVES he has a gun pointed at him, then he isn't exactly going to take his chances on it not being real.

Right, which is why they're considering a ban on replica handguns.

not really, crime is crime. However looking at tehe handgun deaths and injuries would show its own trend.

What I'm saying is, the point of the handgun ban was primarily to stop handgun violence, not to prevent people from threatening someone with a fake gun. If we looked at crimes in which handguns were used to injure or kill a person, that would be a much more relevant measure of effectiveness.

Of course, cellardoor has no idea what the hell he's talking about when he uses words like "proof," so I'm sure he hasn't even tried to find anything of the sort.

Of course, this isn't to say that I necessarily support gun control. I've yet to see a convincing argument from either side, just wild speculation.

However, I would say that a licensing and registration program for firearms isn't an inherently bad idea, as it does make it a bit harder for people to get their hands on weapons. Black market firearms are pricy.

I would consider that a better system than complete deregulation (Note: I consider both a lack of any regulation and an all-out ban to be complete deregulation).