00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Progression + Hair tips

873 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 13:44:17

This is a progression of what i have drawn ( I hense the word drawn not trace, i did not trace this, no matter what you say i no i have not traced this) and well i need some tips on how to draw hair because well thats what im stuck on so if anyone could post any tips on drawing hair
Thanks
FalteringGrunt.

Like to mention i am using Flash pro 8

Progression + Hair tips

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 13:47:43

Flash isn't very good with hair, realistically I mean. It is possible, but difficult. Cartoony hair is possible, but I don't feel like going in to details. But you should work on your shapes, everything is so angular and pointy. His face is shield-shaped...

BBS Signature

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 14:01:34

Yeah i no that but I personaly like the look of it.. im not saying anyone is right or wrong im just saying what i prefer in my art work =)

but thanks for the tip

FalteringGrunt

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 15:26:12

Due to the fact your guy is a cartoony style dude with lots of corners, his hair shopuld follow suit.

Judging by how its falling over his face, I'd assume he should have droopy pointy hair.

Hair isnt all that hard to draw, really. COLORING hair is the real bitch.

As your guy is quite cartoony, it'd probably look weird to give him photorealistic hair.

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 15:37:48

At 4/3/07 03:26 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: Due to the fact your guy is a cartoony style dude with lots of corners, his hair should follow suit.

Hair isnt all that hard to draw, really. COLORING hair is the real bitch.

As your guy is quite cartoony, it'd probably look weird to give him photorealistic hair.

I agree..

nice cartoon. Now colour it in matey ;)

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 18:28:54

Thanks for all your help yet again

FalteringGrunt

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-03 21:31:18

At 4/3/07 01:47 PM, MeMB wrote: Flash isn't very good with hair, realistically I mean. It is possible, but difficult. Cartoony hair is possible, but I don't feel like going in to details. But you should work on your shapes, everything is so angular and pointy. His face is shield-shaped...

isnt that difficult

just gets ur base colour...then a darker colour get your brush, do some strands

select a lighter colour do some more strands keep alternating the brightness of the colour until u built up a nice layer of hair... takes about 1 min on a little pic like that

BBS Signature

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-04 06:25:59

Well this is the finished version of what the old one looked like, i made a few tweeks to it and I coloured it in, and as i said before my hair is awful so please just tell me what you think and please dont just say... "Its Crap" and if you do say that then at least give me advice on what went wrong and just maybe say how I could improve it

Thanks
FalteringGrunt

Progression + Hair tips

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-04 13:57:29

I like it, it's not awful at all, it fits with your character, keep it like that.If you're not happy with it, try again another style until you're happy with it.I think you should shade it a bit more but otherwise, it looks fine.

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-04 14:50:43

draw a line for his hair. It looks like he has a pointy head

Response to Progression + Hair tips 2007-04-04 21:30:47

At 4/4/07 06:25 AM, FalteringGrunt wrote: Well this is the finished version of what the old one looked like, i made a few tweeks to it and I coloured it in, and as i said before my hair is awful so please just tell me what you think and please dont just say... "Its Crap" and if you do say that then at least give me advice on what went wrong and just maybe say how I could improve it

Thanks
FalteringGrunt

It's not bad, but you should shade the jacket and shirt and maybe add some more shading to the hair and face.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

BBS Signature