00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Coheed23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Realistic-ish drawing

1,005 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 16:14:31

Hey guys, for the past few years I've been drawing a lot of cartoons. But lately I've been very bored and unimpressed with my cartoons, so I decided maybe I should try practicing a different kind of art style. So I'm now trying out a more realistic style.

Because this is one of the first times I was going for realism I tried to recreate a picture. So here is a link to the reference pic - http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=download&id=

And here's my drawing...

Realistic-ish drawing

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 16:16:26

I would say its realistic for sure, nice job on this one!

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 16:16:46

You need to sign in to see the photo in the link... So I don't know, but, yeah that looks better than what I could probably do :p
Rate my attempt at being arty by not colouring in the people or aliens?

Realistic-ish drawing

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 16:30:38

At 3/19/07 04:16 PM, OmegaUltimaWill wrote: You need to sign in to see the photo in the link... So I don't know, but, yeah that looks better than what I could probably do :p
Rate my attempt at being arty by not colouring in the people or aliens?

I like how you used only colours on some bits.
That's what gives it the good fell I like of concept.

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 16:46:38

At 3/19/07 04:38 PM, InkyBoy wrote: Pretty. Although the ear looks like it's bleeding or something.

Yea I know, I messed up with the shading.

And sorry for those of you who don't have an account on that site, does this link work?
http://static.sxc.hu/b/ba/baundesign/742192_7 7299703.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 16:56:46

At 3/19/07 04:48 PM, InkyBoy wrote: Yep, the link works fine now.
But the pic is gigantic :O

Yea I know, I think the site it came from (stock.xchng) is manly for people working with photoshop.

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 17:45:29

Nice pic but you made that little kid look like a short-haired old woman who smokes, albeit a relistic short-haired old woman who smokes.
Maybe you should reduce the lines (replace with shading) and tone down the lip color (looks like lip-stick)

It is a nice and fairly realistic drawing, but I think it gives off the wrong feel.
Whatever, and kudos on the pic =).

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 17:51:10

i like the jacket a lot. The color is just the right tone, and the shading is soft and actually looks like the material. i like that the background is kind of gray-tinted, but if it's a child then the skin and hair should never be those colors. if you brighten them up a little (but tone down the lips) it will look absolutely fantantastabuloriffic.

Pincushion Queen gets back from Hell on August 19th!

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 18:58:19

At 3/19/07 04:59 PM, InkyBoy wrote: Wait a second...
Ah well, even if you did trace, I don't care. It's still a nice pic :]

I'm sorry about that, as I say again, this is my first time with realism. And although I honestly tried my hardest to not trace it, I ended up going over lots of parts just to get the shape down. I did try to do the shading myself , but as you can tell I still had to resort to the original every so often.

But in a desperate attempt to try to gain back respect, here's a piece I just finished up were I tried to be original.

Realistic-ish drawing

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-19 19:24:04

Love the lighting on the fruit pic good work

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-20 12:08:06

i like the fruit..but i cant shake the feeling its missing some depth...maybe adding some more shadows will improve upon it.

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-20 12:20:40

hello again lol...i messed around with some shadows etc just as a reference for u...plz dont think that im trying to upstage u because im not...im just trying to help : )...i know that realistic stuff is a pain in the ass because we draw on what we think we know and alot of the time that view can be totally off

just keep doing still life to improve ur realism and good luck

Realistic-ish drawing

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-20 14:52:27

Those fruits are so unoriginal...

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-20 14:59:14

what you mean??

BBS Signature

Response to Realistic-ish drawing 2007-03-20 15:00:13

At 3/20/07 02:52 PM, Lorkas wrote: Those fruits are so unoriginal...

Yes, but they are a great excercise and I'd like to see you do better.

Your drawings are good but need WAAAAY more shading to be realistic. Especially the 1st one you posted. However, I like the fruit painting's shining.

8,875/10

BBS Signature