P-Bot
P-Bot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Bot
Level 02
Blank Slate
Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 12:45 AM Reply

Hello NG-fans! P-Bot here, with today's hottest games and movies submitted to the Portal:

1. Xombie: Chapter 9, by jamesfarr (also known for Xombie: Chapter 2)
  2. On The Moon (episode 11), by PEAB0
  3. Brink of Alienation: IV, by BlasterMaster
  4. BoA: IV part 2, by BlasterMaster
  5. Cube-It, by Phantasmagor

We also have new submissions by the following popular artists:
allfunnystuff, BaconXBits, BigPoUcH, BunnyClock, critiqUe109, Emptygoddess, EraserLock, fishhook, KiggD, king-ben, kitty-and-meander, Kk-dis, lastfuture, MarkP0rter, Marwo, MasterFury, MorrowDays, Pappy135, robotJAM, Sidorio, sk8more, Squarion, StarBlush, stik, teomike92, Tomorrows-Nobody, WAR-HEART, Warnockworld and ZeroMega

What does everyone think of these new submissions?

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:05 AM Reply

Ah, it saddens me that Xombie has turned from one of the best underground independent animation series to a half-minute advertisement.

On the Moon brilliant as always.

RWappin
RWappin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:19 AM Reply

Hmmm... mixed feelings about the new Xombie. :/

Blips
Blips
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 02:00 AM Reply

At 3/15/07 01:05 AM, squeakytoad wrote: Ah, it saddens me that Xombie has turned from one of the best underground independent animation series to a half-minute advertisement.

On the Moon brilliant as always.

I agree that the Xombie toon was way to short.

Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 02:33 AM Reply

Meh.
Xombie was short, but he said it would be short. He said there were reasons at the end, no one has a right to complain IMO.

Xombie is easily the best thing on the list tho.

On a side-note: damn, not the first comment tonight.

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Calvey
Calvey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 03:49 AM Reply

It's been interesting reading reviews about Xombie. A lot of people seem to be upset at the thought of which they will have to purchase the Xombie 'Graphic Novel' (Not 12 page comic as some have put it) in order to find out the end. From what I could understand, Farr is animating Chapter 10, but you can discover the end before it is released by buying his book.

As for the episode itself, I don't think it was much to brag about. It was still reasonably good animation wise, but doesn't match up to his older work in hte series at all.

Congrats to the rest of the winners.

frigi
frigi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 04:50 AM Reply

this "on the moon" was by far the best

ZekeySpaceyLizard
ZekeySpaceyLizard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 05:38 AM Reply

Today's cartoons reminded me of Mark Wahlberg.

Flork flork flork

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 06:15 AM Reply

The new Xombie isn't that great, but the rest of the award winners were pretty good.

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Soapbubble
Soapbubble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Audiophile
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 08:29 AM Reply

Sad that Xombie is just an ad today...

But it still rocked ^^,

I dont like on the moon >_>

AFK

ArtificialWatermelon
ArtificialWatermelon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 10:13 AM Reply

Xombie and a dose of Insanity Prawn Boy on the same day. Bingooo.

Except ..as many before me have pointed out - Xombie was a bit too short, and that advert at the end made me cringe. Sort of. >.>

... ... ...

BBS Signature
Splurgle
Splurgle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 11:42 AM Reply

On The Moon deserved to win in my opinion. These Xombies are just getting shorter and more bland.

jmtb02
jmtb02
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:23 PM Reply

Meh, I can't rag on Xombie too much. If someone has too much going on in their life, but still want to do Flash, they should have that opportunity. They're score might suffer, but Flash is a hobby for a lot of people. Even if a piece is short, they can still enjoy the process and submit it as their own.

Hi there!

BBS Signature
Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:25 PM Reply

What a high scoring day it was yesterday, I think that Xombie was the best toon of the day and did deserve the daily feature, I do agree it was quite short and I thought the advertisement at the end did spoil it a little. On the Moon was very good as well, for some reason they always get daily 2nd, oh well. I just love the Toast King's voice!

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 08:04 AM, ShirtTurtle wrote: ok, next time i make a flash, i'm gonna make it 5 seconds long, and remember to tell everyone why its so short and hope i get daily feature!

Hope you have fun with that.

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 01:54 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 08:04 AM, ShirtTurtle wrote: ok, next time i make a flash, i'm gonna make it 5 seconds long, and remember to tell everyone why its so short and hope i get daily feature!

That would actually be an awesome newgrounds experiment, seeing what would be the shortest submission to pass judgement! I reckon you could do it with 5 seconds, but you would have to make a pretty awesome bit of animation. I'm guessing 100% FBF on a ridiculously high amount of frames per second should do it. I know you were probably joking, in response the the various Xombie was too short comments, but you should really do it!

BBS Signature
Japisee
Japisee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 05:20 PM Reply

Since when did Xombie started to suck?

Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 05:20 PM, Japisee wrote: Since when did Xombie started to suck?

Well, if you're referring to that fact that the Xombie series may have deteriorated into a free advertisement for books whilst still maintaining its awesome and professional well-being, I don't know. But its unfair to say that the Xombie series sucks when it obviously doesn't. Just because this episode may have been a little short and had an advertisement at the end doesn't necessarily mean that its doomed the series forever, now does it?

BBS Signature
jamesfarr
jamesfarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 06:30 PM Reply

Thank you, and bless you. It's been interesting to see people's reaction to Xombie 9. Everyone always compalins that it's short, which it is. Very short. I agree with them whole-heartedly.

But the free flash toon is not the only thing I'm working on. There's a book, the comics, the wife, a son, etc. I'm surprised to see so much venom regarding the ad. I thought people might be happy that a fellow newgrounder actually accomplished something. A teensy tiny something, but still ... there's a certain point when art either becomes profitable, slows down, or stops.

I'd prefer to avoid the latter. :)

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 01:54 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote: That would actually be an awesome newgrounds experiment, seeing what would be the shortest submission to pass judgement

B

LilDwarf
LilDwarf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Programmer
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 01:05 AM, squeakytoad wrote: Ah, it saddens me that Xombie has turned from one of the best underground independent animation series to a half-minute advertisement.

I agree. Sadly, it's always because of money and never to please others :(

BBS Signature
squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 10:29 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 06:30 PM, jamesfarr wrote: Thank you, and bless you. It's been interesting to see people's reaction to Xombie 9. Everyone always compalins that it's short, which it is. Very short. I agree with them whole-heartedly.

But the free flash toon is not the only thing I'm working on. There's a book, the comics, the wife, a son, etc. I'm surprised to see so much venom regarding the ad. I thought people might be happy that a fellow newgrounder actually accomplished something. A teensy tiny something, but still ... there's a certain point when art either becomes profitable, slows down, or stops.

I'd prefer to avoid the latter. :)

It wasn't you becoming successful that has everyone upset. It's the fact that you screwed over the cartoon that we loved so much just to gain that success.
Adding stuff that didn't exist in the previous episode, just so you can say, "Buy the book and the comics to find out how I changed the story to get you to buy the books and the comics" is really disappointing. (Especially for us fans who barely have enough money to buy food, clothing, and pay for our studies, so we certainly can't afford the book/comics.)
Also, if you didn't have time to make a lengthy episode, take more time. Don't just release whatever animation you have done to get us to buy the books/comics. That's pretty lame.

I was a huge fan of Xombie. The name James Farr was usually at the top of my list for independent animators. I watched every episode within a few minutes of its release.
And that's why I'm kinda ticked. I feel like us fans of the toon just got thrown out the window to promote your other projects.

One more thing, why was it so incredibly easy for him to get to the fortress despite how dangerous everyone made it out to be (just swung on a nail around all the defenses)?

W-A-C
W-A-C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 10:30 PM Reply

Xombie is still a great flash series but the latest episode was a little disappointing. Even though the animation has improved since the beginning, I liked the style in some of the older episodes better. I actually strongly dislike the current look of Zoe from both the hair style and eye patch. Seeing artwork on his website of a teenage Zoe just doesn't look right to me. I've always liked the character for being an innocent little girl in the Xombie universe, not some teenager. I personally had nothing against the ad and I actually found it funny. I also just didn't enjoy the episode as much as most of the episodes but I did still enjoy watching it although I didn't like the exploding teddy bear. None the less, I still think it's a great series but just not a great episode. Also, I hope James Farr has no problem with my sig and profile picture having Zoe in it. >_>

I added the "2008 Kucinich" thing to my sig less than 24 hours before he dropped out of the race and has been too lazy to change it. <_<

BBS Signature
benblue20
benblue20
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 11:00 PM Reply

I'm surprised why SMO Arena isn't there. That game was very well done in my opinion!

Splurgle
Splurgle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 11:09 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 11:00 PM, benblue20 wrote: I'm surprised why SMO Arena isn't there. That game was very well done in my opinion!

That already won an award, dude. Pay more attention.... >_>

jamesfarr
jamesfarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 10:30 PM, W-A-C wrote: Xombie is still a great flash series but the latest episode was a little disappointing. Even though the animation has improved since the beginning, I liked the style in some of the older episodes better. I actually strongly dislike the current look of Zoe from both the hair style and eye patch. Seeing artwork on his website of a teenage Zoe just doesn't look right to me. I've always liked the character for being an innocent little girl in the Xombie universe, not some teenager. I personally had nothing against the ad and I actually found it funny. I also just didn't enjoy the episode as much as most of the episodes but I did still enjoy watching it although I didn't like the exploding teddy bear. None the less, I still think it's a great series but just not a great episode. Also, I hope James Farr has no problem with my sig and profile picture having Zoe in it. >_>

Nope. I love your sig. And I actually agree. I like the old Zoe better, too. Alas, with publishers and partners come other opinions, which resulted in Zoe gradually losing her anime influence. I promise she's still cute in the comics.

As for everyone feeling betrayed in an effort to make a buck, please don't. I love you guys. Even the people who hate Xombie. You've helped me become a better artist, a better "tweener" , and helped spread the word about the series. I'd like to do Xombie for a living. But, unfortunately, finding the backing to create entertainment products often means agreeing to lots of little compromises.

Flame paintjob on Optimus Prime, I'm lookin' at you.

squeakytoad
squeakytoad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 11:29 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 11:17 PM, jamesfarr wrote: I'd like to do Xombie for a living. But, unfortunately, finding the backing to create entertainment products often means agreeing to lots of little compromises.

I respected you for the fact that you didn't make compromises. You cared more about what you and your loyal fans wanted than making a "quick buck".
Had the series continued as you were making it, as your passion rather than an easy living, I would've stood by it firmly. I would've scraped together what money I could to get the DVDs, to get the books, to get the comics. Not cause I had to in order to know what was going on, but because I wanted to, as someone who loved the series.
The series I loved is gone. The art, the plot, the character and feel of the episodes, it's gone. Now it's just another cartoon that cares more about money than quality.

:(

Splurgle
Splurgle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 15th, 2007 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 3/15/07 11:29 PM, squeakytoad wrote:
stuff

I agree. :( I hope the last chapter will be what Xombie used to be.

verycoolguy
verycoolguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 16th, 2007 @ 01:04 AM Reply

pbot is taking a break again.

FrostedMuffins
FrostedMuffins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Programmer
Response to Top entries from 03/14/2007! Mar. 16th, 2007 @ 01:06 AM Reply

Squeakytoad, gotta intrude.

It's easy to say those things from the stand point of a kid, I don't know your real age, so I could be totally wrong. When you have to support a family and want to keep animating, plus support all of the bigger projects he has planned, those things are absolutely necessary. And instead of a shameless plug, he did it in an excellent and witty way, I actually enjoyed that little spin on it. Of course it's not the regular stuff, but it wasn't nearly as bad as many sell outs.

And this isn't for personal gain like the others either, this is to support many other bigger projects, and so that he can still keep on animating. I really think you over reacted, and I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed it and fully support it, and I'll be buying the book tomarrow.