• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-10-12 05:33:34 Reply

At 10/12/10 04:58 AM, Drakim wrote:
To all such people, fuck you to hell.

That is all.

Hey, it's Chile. Some guy probably has consumed horse droppings and is now happy he saved people this way.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Heathenry 2010-10-12 08:05:34 Reply

At 10/12/10 04:58 AM, Drakim wrote: Necroposting!

Hooray! Maybe with this we can get some relief from the rampant idiocy we've seen in the past couple of weeks in the religion threads.

To all such people, fuck you to hell.

That is all.

Ha!

"My god saved them!"
"No, MY god did!"
*engineers with drills and stuff* "Gee, thanks. Glad we worked so damn hard for the last two months."

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Drakim
Drakim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-10-12 10:45:18 Reply

It's no use Ravariel. Even in your attempt to parody them you are still coming off as...well, exactly the same. You aren't actually exaggerating the situation to make a point, because that is actually what happened.

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Heathenry 2010-10-12 15:36:22 Reply

That's why it's funny... no exaggeration necessary.

Anyway, let's get into some meat, based in part on your other topic about eugenics.

I think it's fair to say that most religions would look down on any attempt to "improve" human ability. If not because it raises ethical issues based in previous fascist regimes' attempts (or, more legitimately, ethical issues based on fairness and equality) then because it is seen as an affront to God who made us as perfect as he desired.

With the singularity approaching, and the possibility of internalizing a lot of our computation, where do you think the religious will attack the science? Where will they try to hamper people's ability to gain access to this technology? Or will they only notice when it is too late, once the tech has already reached a sort of critical mass? And conversely, how can we convince them that such advancements are not only good for humanity, but are reconcilable with their religion?

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Drakim
Drakim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-10-12 16:08:45 Reply

At 10/12/10 03:36 PM, Ravariel wrote: That's why it's funny... no exaggeration necessary.

Anyway, let's get into some meat, based in part on your other topic about eugenics.

I think it's fair to say that most religions would look down on any attempt to "improve" human ability. If not because it raises ethical issues based in previous fascist regimes' attempts (or, more legitimately, ethical issues based on fairness and equality) then because it is seen as an affront to God who made us as perfect as he desired.

Did you know that there was a big movement against morphine being given to mothers in childbirth, because pain in childbirth was a punishment from God to Eve for eating of the forbidden fruit? They thought we were going around God's punishment and that he would be an angry angry man at us for doing so.

I've pretty much come to accept that religious people will always exist, but that their opinions are bat shit insane.

With the singularity approaching, and the possibility of internalizing a lot of our computation, where do you think the religious will attack the science? Where will they try to hamper people's ability to gain access to this technology? Or will they only notice when it is too late, once the tech has already reached a sort of critical mass? And conversely, how can we convince them that such advancements are not only good for humanity, but are reconcilable with their religion?

I think it will meet opposition but like all earlier instances it will slowly be accepted. When atheists start having healthy babies and religious folks keep having complications and defects, for no good reason at all really, they will start to cave.

Before you know it, religious people will be arguing that genetic research was their idea all along and that it's a filthy lie that religion ever opposed science and progress spread by the liberal hypermedia. Oh, and that robo love is an abomination before the lord. Some things never change.

Imperator
Imperator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-10-13 01:36:48 Reply

Good-fucking-ness!

Drakim, hope you weren't expecting a reply to whatever it was we were last talking about on here....cuz you clearly didn't get it.

Epic necroposting....

Anywho:

This is a really good discussion.

Thoughts?

My most immediate reaction was:
If all religious people were like George Coyne there'd be no atheism vs theism....or at least a hell of a lot less contention between atheists and theists.

Writing Forum Reviewer.
PM me
for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.
See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Drakim
Drakim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-11-30 11:21:54 Reply

At 10/13/10 01:36 AM, Imperator wrote: Drakim, hope you weren't expecting a reply to whatever it was we were last talking about on here....cuz you clearly didn't get it.

Don't be cruel D:

Anyways, I've been thinking about the battles over some judges who wants the ten commandments posted in their courthouse, and being sued for breaching the separation of church and state.

The thing that's puzzling me is that the ten commandments are clearly not in tune with US law. About a third of the commandments outright contradicts US law, another third is about things the law does not speak of, and about a third is in tune with the law, but often very basic stuff that is shared all over the world.

It's the first third that's slightly puzzling. How the fuck can you post something in a courthouse if it argues the opposite of what the law that the courthouse is supposed to uphold? I don't know much about laws to be honest, but it sounds weird that a judge could just randomly put up a poster that says "Murder is okay" and there not being some legal mumbo jumbo collision with US law.

jepper65
jepper65
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-12-13 15:02:47 Reply

At 3/17/07 12:02 AM, Ravariel wrote:
At 3/16/07 10:26 AM, Draconias wrote: Easter Island stuff...
We really have made a lot of progress on these "mysteries" in the past few decades. I'm not sure any of them still remain beyond our knowledge.
Not unless we find Atlantis, probably not.

...speaking of Atlantis, many many religions have a story of a great city or holy place lost to magicks or some otherworldly force. Atlantis, Avalon, Yggdrasil, and others that escape me at the moment. Much like dragons, which evidence themselves similarly in the mythology of very disparate cultures, would this constitute an underlying cultural meme? Or would it be coincidence, a traveling of ideas over great distance, or perhaps cultural bents on real creatures and occurrences?

We see dragons in European and Asian folklore, as well as (south) American. Lost cities, Wyrd and Karma, Brahman, and the unnamed Ur-god of the Greeks/Romans...

Awful lot of parallels for such discreet cultures, don'tcha think?

DOOD!!! Yggdrasil is the tree of the world, not a lost city/place... Sorry for bringing this up, but I see as a sort of cause for me to bring the true 'information' about the asatro (Danish word for the Nordic Mythologi also used in rest of scandinavia) to the world... And I do not like the word Odinism as the religion is not the belief in odin, but the belief of the asa (The name of all the gods in asgard like we are humans or Mexican people are mexicans(not that they are non-human))

It's a big problem that this religion is being twisted by bad translations, misunderstandings, Heavy Metal etc. etc. The religion is coming back in scandinavia and i hope that it is not misunderstood.

Fuck?

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Heathenry 2010-12-13 17:58:58 Reply

At 12/13/10 03:02 PM, jepper65 wrote: DOOD!!! Yggdrasil is the tree of the world, not a lost city/place...

Don't worry, I knew it was a tree, but as I understood it, the location/path to the tree was lot (or hidden by the gods), but perhaps a better parallel would have been to the Garden of Eden in Christian Mythology: the place where humans were begun but then kicked out never to return.

Sorry for bringing this up, but I see as a sort of cause for me to bring the true 'information' about the asatro (Danish word for the Nordic Mythologi also used in rest of scandinavia) to the world...

Please do. If you read through the rest of the topic you'll see we like to discuss all matter of religious and philosophical ideas, mytthologies, beliefs, and contradictions in a levelheaded manner (ironically, most of the discussions are done by skeptics, but that's neither here nor there). While the original topic was technically a red herring for those unwilling to discuss religion in a calm and respectful manner, it was done so because of the lack of information that the rest of us have about it. Most of my info was gleaned from what mythology I have picked up and some quick research online.

And I do not like the word Odinism as the religion is not the belief in odin, but the belief of the asa (The name of all the gods in asgard like we are humans or Mexican people are mexicans(not that they are non-human))

Well, as Heathenry is the technical non-scandanavian word for the religion, and it has significant negative connotations now, Odinism is kinda the only other way it is known. I was not even aware that it was called Asatro until you said so. I wonder, do you have any good online resources (in English) where we can learn about the religion?

It's a big problem that this religion is being twisted by bad translations, misunderstandings, Heavy Metal etc. etc. The religion is coming back in scandinavia and i hope that it is not misunderstood.

I have heard a couple of people say they were Odinists (their words), but I always figured it was a non-conformity thing, like teenage satanists who think they're the first ones to ever read and understand Aleister Crowley, I wasn't aware it was a serious movement. Do you know why the movement is happening? What cultural shifts are occurring that would promote such a resurgence of a religion most folk thought was dead?

Drakim
Drakim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Heathenry 2010-12-13 18:01:39 Reply

At 12/13/10 05:58 PM, Ravariel wrote: I have heard a couple of people say they were Odinists (their words), but I always figured it was a non-conformity thing, like teenage satanists who think they're the first ones to ever read and understand Aleister Crowley, I wasn't aware it was a serious movement. Do you know why the movement is happening? What cultural shifts are occurring that would promote such a resurgence of a religion most folk thought was dead?

Well, basically, this guy with shifty ties to the neo nazi movement had "visions" of Odin telling him to bring back the country to the true faith.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Heathenry 2010-12-13 18:09:23 Reply

At 12/13/10 06:01 PM, Drakim wrote:
Well, basically, this guy with shifty ties to the neo nazi movement had "visions" of Odin telling him to bring back the country to the true faith.

Well, that's legitimately disappointing. So basically, the Scandanavian version of christ on a cheese sandwich or the Branch Davidians? I guess it'll be interesting to see if this is just a flash in the pan or if the movement will gain some real steam.