00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Heathenry

32,745 Views | 442 Replies

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-25 22:02:58

it wouldn't be kind of God to leave Jesus without brothers, at least where Josephs concerned.

VESTRUM BARDUSIS MIHI EXTASUM

Heathenry; it's not for you

"calling atheism a belief is like calling a conviction belief"

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-25 22:15:56

At 11/25/08 10:02 PM, SolInvictus wrote: it wouldn't be kind of God to leave Jesus without brothers, at least where Josephs concerned.

That's just the thing isn't it?

It's like on the one hand they want to affirm the divinity of Jesus, but they want to deny the humanity of Joseph on the other.

To quote Dogma:
"The nature of God and the Virgin Mary, those are leaps of faith. But to believe a married couple never got down? Well, that's just plain gullibility. "

Writing Forum Reviewer.

PM me for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.

See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-26 00:41:33

The only reasonable explanation as to why they would do such an act is that they wish to give the idea that she was a virgin for Jesus, but that is more than slightly unbelievable given the fact, as you pointed out, as did Dogma, they were married. If I had to guess, it wasn't the case, and what's more, I'm thinking either A, she is sleeping around on ol' Jo, or B, she was sleeping with Jo there and decided to bluff it. I'm guessing A...

The only true knowledge, consists in knowing, that we know nothing.

-Socrates

Heathenry. A forum for the more evolved to discuss religion.

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-26 15:39:02

I've always heard it referred to as Norse mythology.

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-26 17:03:08

At 11/26/08 03:39 PM, Conspiracy3 wrote: I've always heard it referred to as Norse mythology.

a heathen is a non-believer and given that believing or not believing is relative this is the place to come and discuss all those crazy heathen religions!

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-27 00:48:45

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=ne ws&div=5411

Oh how I love this.

According to the theologian, science and religion do not oppose one another, but should jointly oppose various superstitions and false doctrines.

It's time for a round of sport the retard statement!

So, he thinks science and religion fits together, and should join to fight....false religion?

To rephrase in a less bullshit language. He thinks science and his religion fits together, and he wants to use the authority that science has been given to stamp out the other religions than his own.

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Response to Heathenry 2008-11-27 01:13:13

At 11/27/08 12:48 AM, Drakim wrote: http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=ne ws&div=5411
According to the theologian, science and religion do not oppose one another, but should jointly oppose various superstitions and false doctrines.

facepalm.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-14 17:25:55

At 11/27/08 12:48 AM, Drakim wrote: http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=ne ws&div=5411

Oh how I love this.

It's time for a round of sport the retard statement!

So, he thinks science and religion fits together, and should join to fight....false religion?

To rephrase in a less bullshit language. He thinks science and his religion fits together, and he wants to use the authority that science has been given to stamp out the other religions than his own.

Christianity and science can somewhat fit together. There is nothing in the bible, excepting some miracles, that counteract any proven science. If you think I am wrong please give me examples.

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-14 18:04:07

At 1/14/09 05:25 PM, odnarble wrote: Christianity and science can somewhat fit together. There is nothing in the bible, excepting some miracles, that counteract any proven science. If you think I am wrong please give me examples.

Everything about the creation of the universe, how we were made, and really anything in genesis.

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-14 18:09:38

At 1/14/09 05:25 PM, odnarble wrote: Christianity and science can somewhat fit together. There is nothing in the bible, excepting some miracles, that counteract any proven science. If you think I am wrong please give me examples.

I would certainly hope there are some falsities in there.
1.) The book is 2000 years old. The theories of that day I'm HOPING are at least somewhat more refined now, if not (some of which) have been refuted.

2.) The book is not professing to be a mathematics book, nor a physics book.

3.) I don't even get that argument. What's there to "fit" together anyways? They take on completely different topics, use completely different methods, and are just generally completely different.

I don't see how one "opposes" the other, or vice versa. How do you compare two things on an uneven field?

It's like saying pens don't mix well with radiators because of barometric pressure.
C'mon, the only given info in the entire argument is this:

A+b=/=C

D= a grilled cheese sandwitch

Seriously, that's what the argument boils down to, and people STILL think they've got the answers.....

Ridiculous......

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-15 03:12:17

Somebody already replied and showed you examples, so I won't bother.

But serious, worldwide flood? Man living inside a whale? ringing any bells?

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-15 04:12:06

I kinda just figure that a lot of stories in the Bible are allegorical in nature and not necessarily intended to be taken as literal fact. Sure, there are parts that talk about the history of the early Hebrews, but life is a lot simpler without trying to rationalize Genesis to people as anything other than a metaphor for the evolution of moral conscience in early man (in that some caveman somewhere was the first to decide that "right" and "wrong" existed as concepts and accidentally invented "guilt" and "innocence" as byproducts).

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-15 23:33:59

At 1/15/09 04:12 AM, dySWN wrote: I kinda just figure that a lot of stories in the Bible are allegorical in nature and not necessarily intended to be taken as literal fact. Sure, there are parts that talk about the history of the early Hebrews, but life is a lot simpler without trying to rationalize Genesis to people as anything other than a metaphor for the evolution of moral conscience in early man (in that some caveman somewhere was the first to decide that "right" and "wrong" existed as concepts and accidentally invented "guilt" and "innocence" as byproducts).

What we really need is someone well educated on the Old Testament (aka SECRET JOOO!) to shed some light on just what the hell the Book's intent is. We needs ourselves a Jew.

In any case, I'm having more fun looking at the Greek of the New Testament anyways. Never been a fan of the Old. And I look for more historical, or linguistic things than anything else.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-18 03:38:13

At 1/17/09 11:25 PM, Grammer wrote: The only things I know about the Norse Gods is what I learned playing Ragnarok Online :]

speaking of which, the Ragnarök (cool; it added the little dots for me!) myth is a fairly interesting one.

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-01-18 05:38:33

At 1/15/09 04:12 AM, dySWN wrote: I kinda just figure that a lot of stories in the Bible are allegorical in nature and not necessarily intended to be taken as literal fact.

God (no pun intended) I hope so.

Sure, there are parts that talk about the history of the early Hebrews, but life is a lot simpler without trying to rationalize Genesis to people as anything other than a metaphor for the evolution of moral conscience in early man (in that some caveman somewhere was the first to decide that "right" and "wrong" existed as concepts and accidentally invented "guilt" and "innocence" as byproducts).

The other thing to consider is many of God's instructions to the Hebrews was for survival in the desert during the Exodus from Egyps.

"There is a tradition that God included 613 commandments in the Torah. Of these, 248 are positive, while 365 are negative.

Many of these commandments, however, deal with the laws of purity and sacrifice, and were thus only applicable when the Holy Temple stood in Jerusalem. Therefore, of all the commandments, only 369 apply today. Of these, 126 are positive, and 243 are negative."

http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Th e_Commandments_Part_One.asp

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 10:52:42

I just realized that I can't take the Eucharist because I'm allergic to Communion Wafers.

I feel so cheated out of salvation right now.

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 14:22:42

At 3/11/09 10:52 AM, Drakim wrote: I just realized that I can't take the Eucharist because I'm allergic to Communion Wafers.

LMAO!

God's all like "No way am I letting that fucker in here!"

So... if you die of anaphylaxis on your first communion... is that like a free pass to heaven, or do you get gypped because you didn't finish the ceremony?

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 14:41:44

At 3/11/09 02:22 PM, Ravariel wrote:
At 3/11/09 10:52 AM, Drakim wrote: I just realized that I can't take the Eucharist because I'm allergic to Communion Wafers.

LMAO!

So... if you die of anaphylaxis on your first communion... is that like a free pass to heaven, or do you get gypped because you didn't finish the ceremony?

Well, my allergy isn't enough to kill me, just make me suffer greatly. I'll be like those monks that flails their backs to suffer alongside Christ. :s

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 16:17:12

At 3/11/09 02:22 PM, Ravariel wrote:

Well technically if he doesn't believe, he doesn't get in.

See, God's actually got all these forms that need filing before entrance is granted.
Ghandi forgot to fill form 13/AS-3, so he's stuck swimming the river styx.

Nothin like those Judeo-Christian technicalities to make sure "nice guys finish last", que no?

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 18:12:09

Hey guys, what do you think of Hinduism. Polytheistic, or Monotheistic with 'saints' being the minor gods? Kali, Ganesha, Vishnu, Brahmah, Shiva etc.

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 18:14:44

At 3/11/09 06:12 PM, Buffalow wrote: Hey guys, what do you think of Hinduism. Polytheistic, or Monotheistic with 'saints' being the minor gods? Kali, Ganesha, Vishnu, Brahmah, Shiva etc.

Panentheistic.

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 19:31:10

At 1/15/09 03:12 AM, Drakim wrote:
Somebody already replied and showed you examples, so I won't bother.

But serious, worldwide flood? Man living inside a whale? ringing any bells?

You mean fish. It clearly says a fish. Don't you know enough about biology that a whale isn't a fish?

Then again, inside a whale would actually most likely be more plausible (though not by much).

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 19:57:50

At 3/11/09 06:12 PM, Buffalow wrote: Hey guys, what do you think of Hinduism. Polytheistic, or Monotheistic with 'saints' being the minor gods? Kali, Ganesha, Vishnu, Brahmah, Shiva etc.

Not much different from Hero-worship in ancient Greece and Rome.

The apotheosis of important or famous figures I think actually carries through in the idea of "saints". There is a bit of a difference between saints and minor deities though, just as there was a big difference between demi-gods like Aeneas and minor gods like Pan or the nymphs, dryads, and Muses.

I think at least in part the difference lies in conception and "purity" of their blood, with the pecking order of demi-gods and cult heroes towards the bottom.

In terms of modernity, I think pantheistic and polytheistic elements permeate all major religions, even the Abrahamic "monotheistic" ones. Whether this is a by-product of earlier religions being incorporated or simply part of that basic human need to categorize and make gradients, I think the idea of monotheism is somewhat of a misnomer.

Hinduism seems to lie closer to most historical roots in terms of our modern world, I think for that reason it makes more sense to a lot of people. Makes it appear like there is less corruption compared to some of the other religions, Christianity and its 1000s of splits being the biggest example used.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-11 23:05:21

Well Hinduism also worships hundreds of different animals including dogs, rats, monkeys, cows, buffalo, and interestingly enough, snakes. How could you compare this fact to the overall treatment (even distrusting or hating) of certain animals in other religions? (Christians and snakes, Muslims and pigs, Jews and rams)

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-12 08:31:05

It's somewhat incorrect to say that Hindus worship animals. Much like the Native Americans, they merely give them respect and venerate (which is different than worship) a few which they believe to have become vessels of their gods in the past (i.e. Vishnu and the Tortoise, Brahman and the Cow). I believe even Kali and Shiva have visited the earth in animal forms, though I can't remember which ones.

You are right, however, that this contrasts greatly with the western culture's basic disdain for all things "animal". Where being like a cow or a turtle might be a sign of respect and admiration in Native AMerican and Hindu culture... to us it is an insult. They have a much broader understanding of what makes animals important. They admire the patience and resilience of the tortoise, we mock it's speed. And this coincides with an even more general disconnect from nature, and the rhythms of the earth. We consider nature to be primitive and dirty, we hide in our concrete jungles and ride in air-conditioned, bucket-seated comfort instead of walking and smelling the air.

And yet, this also allows us amazing advances in science and technology... but at the cost of what?

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-12 09:35:28

Hinduism has roughly thirty million gods. They must have a god for everything!

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-12 19:48:30

At 3/12/09 09:35 AM, Ericho wrote: Hinduism has roughly thirty million gods. They must have a god for everything!

Technically, they consider them simply facets of Brahman. Just like God, Jehova, Allah, Zeus, Odin and Quetzacoatl are also facets of Brahman. They are the way that it helps people relate to the "holy", because the full truth is too vast and complex for a human to know.

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-12 19:51:36

Well I wouldn't say all 'Western' religions don't use animals in their prophesies/stories/myths. Christians and Jews revere both lambs (Jesus was the lamb of God) and lions (story of the Thorn in the Paw). Muslims also mention camels, rams and goats as important animals in the Qu'ran.

Hinduism is one of the few religions that still has temples or parks dedicated to specific animals, such as the temples dedicated to rats, snakes, and monkeys in Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai.

BBS Signature

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-13 17:15:54

At 3/12/09 07:51 PM, Buffalow wrote: Well I wouldn't say all 'Western' religions don't use animals in their prophesies/stories/myths. Christians and Jews revere both lambs (Jesus was the lamb of God) and lions (story of the Thorn in the Paw). Muslims also mention camels, rams and goats as important animals in the Qu'ran.

Oh yeah, lions live in Africa, so they'd know about them. I was thinking of tigers, which live in Asia. Hey, don't forget snakes!

Response to Heathenry 2009-03-14 19:16:11

At 3/13/09 05:15 PM, Ericho wrote:
Oh yeah, lions live in Africa, so they'd know about them. I was thinking of tigers, which live in Asia. Hey, don't forget snakes!

Is that a joke? Lol, I can't tell.

BBS Signature