00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18

5,627 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-10 20:52:26

At 3/10/07 08:46 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
I'll prob get this finished, but not anytime soon
Pyralith : An ancient, long-living creature, that half-covers itself in sand so local wild-life believes it is just architecture that has been around for centuries.
It waits till a village or statue passes by, before pouncing on its slow-moving victim. It feeds on large stones and molten rocks, but gets bad gas from eatting too many people (lol Discworld).

Great idea and awesome picture as always! It could still use a little work, so I hope you get it finished by weeks end! I love the premise behind the character, very creative!

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 05:53:49

At 3/10/07 08:46 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Pyralith

Nice idea! The texture on his body looks really cool too. Great job

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 06:50:37

At 3/5/07 06:44 PM, s1nt3ch wrote: Here is a Hydrocephalax...

Very nice style you have here. Well done ^__^

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 09:09:37

At 3/10/07 08:25 PM, Mogly wrote: Yeah I was going to say that but for all your stuff and not just this. Most pictures I see you post it's always to evident that you used a larger brush. You need to put little details in there, like for something to focus on. This picture you posted is a bad example, as you said it yourself it's a WIP and needs detail.

Yeah I always think it's too clear what kind of brush I used, usually when I go in close to add detail, I lose the overall lighting because or the contrast is completely different in that area than anywhere else.

I've tried adding some more features to this one, since the WIP I've added more texture to the legs to make them look tougher and strong. I've tried to bring out the bones in the rib cage, and worked on the face, which I think now looks too much like a cartoon.

As a little challenge for yourself, next picture you do - have a go at doing one with a black outline? Or something out of the norm.

A black outline would look good, but I'm more interested in learning how to paint the way I do, but a million times better, and an outline changes the style too much. I think I'll try just laying down colour and shading from the start, instead of working from a sketch, and see how that goes.

Kolossos

This creature is now extinct, but thousands of years ago they were being used as a form of transport between the different civilisations in the middle east. The Kolossos were perfect for travelling across the desert, their large size meant they weren't attacked by the small creatures below, also their feet are like rock, so if anything did attack then it'd wouldn't even notice. Compared to riding on a camel, the Kolossos is a smooth journey, they don't have to go up and down each sand dune, they just step over them without hassle.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 09:45:14

what about this, i just made it.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 10:33:40

At 3/11/07 09:45 AM, Dark-Virus wrote: what about this, i just made it.

And...how is this a desert gigant?

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 11:01:50

cus its huge and it lives in the desert

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 11:07:47

At 3/11/07 11:01 AM, Dark-Virus wrote: cus its huge and it lives in the desert

There is nothing in the picture to suggest it's height, you need something in there to compare it's size to, and there isn't any suggestion of desert either.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 11:18:21

At 3/11/07 11:07 AM, Zach wrote:
At 3/11/07 11:01 AM, Dark-Virus wrote: cus its huge and it lives in the desert
There is nothing in the picture to suggest it's height, you need something in there to compare it's size to, and there isn't any suggestion of desert either.

ok ok, here...

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 12:21:30

At 3/11/07 11:18 AM, Dark-Virus wrote:
ok ok, here...

You're just reusing that pick from the draw a cow thread!

cheater

And Zach's, yours is looking smooth, but I have a question? If the animal was so big and all that...why can we see it's ribs? Is it emaciated? Just a question.

I think I'm still leaning toweard awesome's though.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 12:55:05

At 3/11/07 12:21 PM, PandaMime wrote: And Zach's, yours is looking smooth, but I have a question? If the animal was so big and all that...why can we see it's ribs? Is it emaciated? Just a question.

Well I was originally going to have a very fat creature, but figured with such little food in the desert, and the heat, it'd should be very thin. Part of the concept it that it's looked after by humans, and it's extinct, so I figured the people didn't want to give their limited supplies of food to this creature, instead they'll starve it, and eventually kill it for the meat.

I think I'm still leaning toweard awesome's though.

I really like Awsome's, but there is a big flaw, photosynthesis requires light, CO2 and water, so the creature wouldn't be able to produce H2O.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 13:39:17

At 3/11/07 12:55 PM, Zach wrote: I really like Awsome's, but there is a big flaw, photosynthesis requires light, CO2 and water, so the creature wouldn't be able to produce H2O.

Actually, if it was a 'modified' photosynthesis, it would be. At the end of the electron transport chain the waste product is H2O, so if the process of light dependent and independent reactions were altered, it is possible XD

but then again, I might have just totally and completely confused it... but I know one of them has a waste product of water XD

As for my entry, my camera battery temporarily dead, and I cant fully remeber where I put the charger.... I hope I find it in time to enter... even though mine are a bit... boring XD ((and the size of a quater XD))

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 13:48:23

Nice Zach, love the look and the idea good job.
If the topic next week is something i can work with i think i will have to enter.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 13:54:59

Heh, Zach is good at thinking. =)

I always like it when art makes sense as well as being kickass.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 14:48:37

At 3/11/07 01:39 PM, Temariix wrote:

Actually, if it was a 'modified' photosynthesis, it would be. At the end of the electron transport chain the waste product is H2O, so if the process of light dependent and independent reactions were altered, it is possible XD

Haha, i really never intended it to be in dire need of such critical thinking! I thought since a creature can be absolutely anything with infinite possibilities, how do we know exactly whats going on inside our created beasts? New theories and ways of life, who knows! I just thought that since I colored it like a cactus, it would give it a little vegetation leniency. Glad to see its worth a few words, however!

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 15:58:52

u lik runescaip

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 20:16:16

Is it ok if I get my entry in tomorow afternoon, or is that too late?...

I cant find my charger....
*cries*

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-11 22:48:45

At 3/11/07 08:16 PM, Temariix wrote: Is it ok if I get my entry in tomorow afternoon, or is that too late?...

What time do you think you'll have it up for?
I'll try and post it up later for you, but if i get any PM's moaning, woy i oughtta!!

Yeah it's fine :)

Brilliant submissions so far by the way everyone

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-12 00:01:05

Here's mine.
It's a sand burrower, and it's the size of a city. It eats travellers and lives underground.

Not finished yet, but I won't be able to make it in time, so here it is.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-12 06:15:37

At 3/12/07 12:01 AM, TehPhilippe wrote: Here's mine.
It's a sand burrower, and it's the size of a city. It eats travellers and lives underground.

Not finished yet, but I won't be able to make it in time, so here it is.

Needs something for perspective, like a cactus near it or something, so that we know how large it is.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-12 14:08:39

At 3/11/07 01:39 PM, Temariix wrote: As for my entry, my camera battery temporarily dead, and I cant fully remeber where I put the charger.... I hope I find it in time to enter... even though mine are a bit... boring XD ((and the size of a quater XD))

Looks like you still have a bit of time left, I'm interested to see what you've done..

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-12 14:15:10

At 3/12/07 06:15 AM, PandaMime wrote: Needs something for perspective, like a cactus near it or something, so that we know how large it is.

If it's the size of a city you couldn't really see the cactus.

Or anything else for that matter.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-12 15:53:03

At 3/12/07 02:15 PM, idiot-monarch wrote:
If it's the size of a city you couldn't really see the cactus.
Or anything else for that matter.

Then make it smaller.
It kind of needs something for perspective.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-14 18:18:55

At 3/10/07 08:46 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
I'll prob get this finished, but not anytime soon
Pyralith : An ancient, long-living creature, that half-covers itself in sand so local wild-life believes it is just architecture that has been around for centuries.
It waits till a village or statue passes by, before pouncing on its slow-moving victim. It feeds on large stones and molten rocks, but gets bad gas from eatting too many people (lol Discworld).

Nice, really good idea :) I love the idea alot infact. Pyramids and deserts just go together so well. I really like the texture as usual with your pieces it really adds to the drawing. The sence of scale is obviouse as well. Good job on the shading, really love your style. Keep it up :D.