00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crakie20 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18

5,604 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 14:30:26

C.O.W Creature Of The Week #18
This weeks topic: Desert Giant

The rules from last week stays, for a bit more information on these; go to last weeks c.o.w.

Rules:
- No MsPaint
- No Animals
- No Human Likeness
- Only one finished entry per User
- Make a description for your creature
- Only JPEG format is allowed
- Create NEW art, don't post something old you've made
- Take time on your art, terrible artwork will not be accepted in the votingthread
- Creature MUST be relevant to the subject

I know, that's alot of rules. Most of them are pretty obvious though, and not really hard to follow.
That's all, good luck to everybody!

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 14:32:42

WOOO its up time to get started then hmmmm............

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 15:23:02

You didnt say who won last weeks .. :)

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 15:24:45

At 3/5/07 03:23 PM, fuzz wrote: You didnt say who won last weeks .. :)

Ignore that post ^
Yep that one ^^

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 15:40:01

The Parrado-Nan: The Felid Sandeater

Measuring 95 feet long and 36 feet tall, both averages, this creature is the biggest inhabitant of the Mohiheran Desert. There are also smaller populations known in other regions, but are widely insignificant to the overall count.
The Felid Sandeater is named for two things The felid part, is its main body's distinct likeness to a cat. The sandeater part is pretty self explanatory. The felid part stays mostly underground during the day, only the heaters stay above ground. The "heaters" are sort of amored plate to the Parrado during migratory times at night. During the day, however, they are kept aloft above the ground by tendrils, sometimes pushed as high as a two story building towards the hot sun. The plates serve as heat collectors, which aid in the chemical breakdown of sand and other things in the Parrado's digestive system. The heat collectors also can serve as part of photsynthesis, but are also used in event of finding prey or enemy, as the stlred heat can be conducted into saliva packets on either side of the mouth, proiding a "boiling spit" attack. The ears are also "heat collectors".

Rough Draft Thingy...It certainly doesn't show much of the creature. Should I draw it during nighttime instead?

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 15:49:18

I don't mean to be a dick people with all the new rules but it just really helps me with the voting thread and organises the future COW website so much better, but i would really appreciate one more thing...
When you're all writing your descriptions, keep in mind it's only a short description i would like, i would prefer just the name of the creature and one paragraph, no extra lines in the paragraph, just one lump of text would be good.

Remember this is only preferred, you'll still be accepted if you write an essay ;)
Oh and by the way, i forgot to say Johan, welcome back, no problem about the COW mascot thing and well done with the new COW, i like this idea...i might make something up later.

Peace and fucking :)

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 15:53:35

At 3/5/07 03:49 PM, Insanical wrote: Remember this is only preferred, you'll still be accepted if you write an essay ;)
Oh and by the way, i forgot to say Johan, welcome back, no problem about the COW mascot thing and well done with the new COW, i like this idea...i might make something up later.

Ok, thanks!
How's it going with the votingthread, btw?

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 16:03:59

i like the main idea with this one, but i think its pretty limited. It not only has to dwell in the desert, but it has to be large. I think we may see a bunch of similar entries in this one, but it will still be awesome as always! If only TurkeyOnAStick saved his digging giant worms for this one!

PS total sorryness i couldnt contribute last week, i was incredibly busy, but i loved the entries!

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 16:06:37

Sorry Kurofelis, I forgot to comment yours.

At 3/5/07 03:40 PM, Kurofelis wrote: The Parrado-Nan: The Felid Sandeater

I really like the energy you put into the description, but the picture is very lacking unfortunatelly. If it's unfinished I understand, but if it isn't then you might want to add more detail to it, or redraw it to show more of it's body. Right now it's just a few brushstrokes.
A good description like that should have a better creature to go with it. And I'm sorry if this is an unfinished entry. .__.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 16:13:07

At 3/5/07 04:06 PM, JohanL wrote: Sorry Kurofelis, I forgot to comment yours.

Yeah, its unfinished.

Expect a better draft maybe...much later today or tommorow. I'm much better at drawing with my hands than with the mouse, so its more difficult...

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 16:20:10

-The Cyclop of Sand-

Being a resurruction of the old ancient race of Sandhunters, the goverment assured he always stayed a myth. Most of the time he stays underground but always comes up for a nice snack or defending his personal eggs. Osiris used this monster for destroying the famous drown city Atlantis by hiding it in the box of Pandora. It is so institutionalized in the desert, it is possible he uses sand as a shield.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 16:49:19

I agree with AwesomeSaurus that this topic could be a bit lacking the way of creativity, but I suppose it just means we need to try harder. I'm looking forward to seeing what TOAS comes up with, he's done some desert style images before so this could be interesting.

I'm going to start sketching some ideas tonight, but showing it as a giant will be difficult considering there is nothing in a desert to compare height to, other than maybe one palm tree.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 17:03:59

my creature is still in concept stage, not sure if i will do this guy, of coarse, I resized him in paint so the quility is reeeeaaaly baad. here is a link to the larger, better version: DESERT GUY OF NOT-GUY'YNESS (its actually a girl I think) Hes not a guy because those hairee-things are its children.

If anyone can spare it, I would really appreciate $0.60 on paypal PM me perhaps?

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 18:16:44

This is a sketch of the kind of thing I'm going for, a large creature used by humans as a form of transportation. I want to try and make it look bigger and more grand, at the moment it looks depressed. I know it isn't the most imaginative creature, but I want to spend time on this one and add in a lot of detail and focus more on the drawing side of things.

This creature kind of reminds me of the dog from The Neverending Story, so I should really try and avoid that.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 18:44:40

here is a hydrocephalax These gentle creatures roam the deserts looking for an oasis at which to refill it's water supply. In much the way a camel can store water, this creature stores thousands of gallons in it's thorax. The hydrocephalax obtains the water throught a long mosquito like tube.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 19:45:51

Hmm,

The Mirrored Rerid

The Mirrored Rerid is a simple looking life form, some of the uneducated may not even call it fully alive, but it is. Its armor wraps up the organs and everything, and keeps them cool by reflecting all heat and light off of its white armor, and directing it all towards the ground to create thermals to fly upon. The Mirrored Rerid has a distinct airfoil design for an exoskeleton, so it can remain afloat even in minimal hermal conditions. Even though it could predictably keep aloft at night, the Mirrored Rerid instinctively drops to the ground and rests until heat warms the desert again. The creature has a huge span, measured to be 80 feet long and 118 feet wide, but narrower, smaller varieties are much more common, averaging 62 feet long and 81 feet wide, averaging. The Mirrored Rerid subsists primarily on water vapor and nutrients sucked from the sand and deep soil at night, as it has a long proboscis not unlike a butterfly to bore deep into the sands of the Mohiren desert, where it is most common. Photosynthesis is also not unheard of. The Mirrored Rerid's body temperature is unusually cool for a complex life form, it has holes in its casing to keep its innards cool.
Mirrored Rerids, even though they seem to have fairly minimal light sensitivity (i.e.-Sees Black and white and greys, kind of blurry.), fight over territory, as evidenced by video recordings and scars on the casings.

Note- The Mirrored Rerid Shown is about 6 years old- 15 years in human years. It has just come out of a fight, and the eyes are the green things in front. I just have an urge to explain everything.

Ahh...that feels much batter than the other one.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-05 20:13:15

this cow looks great :D
ill start on mine tomorrow, but it will take some time, i have set certain goals for myself tomorrow also i have a drawing i wanna do which i have thought of doing for some time now.
but everybody's submissions look great :D

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-06 16:43:14

At 3/5/07 06:44 PM, s1nt3ch wrote: here is a hydrocephalax These gentle creatures roam the deserts looking for an oasis at which to refill it's water supply. In much the way a camel can store water, this creature stores thousands of gallons in it's thorax. The hydrocephalax obtains the water throught a long mosquito like tube.

Sweet i love it, the idea is awsome :) I love all the little details on his back and the shading is supurb, nice one. The yellow reflecton on his back is a really nice effect. It really fits the theme well too, it truely does look like a giant. Anyway, love the shading, good job :D.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-06 17:38:11

This has gotta be the most original idea but i went for it anyway

The Sand Worm
The sand worm lives in any desert and can grow to sizes you wouldnt beleive, but the sizes do vary. They have been seen towering over tribes and there huts, devowering them in one bite, but have also been seen crawling in sand pits in local parks ^_^. There way of movement underground is eating the sand as they travel, the sand travels through the sand worms body and comes out the other end purified.

After seeing s1nt3ch's drawing i thought "i have no chance in hell" but at least i try.

This drawing im going to say is a work in progress, i might add more but if i dont by the deadline, use this as a finished peice.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-06 18:04:08

At 3/6/07 05:38 PM, pheionix2 wrote:

The Sand Worm

The sand worm lives in any desert and can grow to sizes you wouldnt beleive, but the sizes do vary. They have been seen towering over tribes and there huts, devowering them in one bite, but have also been seen crawling in sand pits in local parks ^_^. There way of movement underground is eating the sand as they travel, the sand travels through the sand worms body and comes out the other end purified.

Nice picture, shading and drawing but I think you should draw real people instead of simple stick,Cow of the week is for one week, take time to draw some real people instead of sticks.Otherwise great job!!

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-06 18:46:08

At 3/6/07 04:43 PM, fuzz wrote:
Sweet i love it, the idea is awsome :) I love all the little details on his back and the shading is supurb, nice one. The yellow reflecton on his back is a really nice effect. It really fits the theme well too, it truely does look like a giant. Anyway, love the shading, good job :D.

thanks very much i wish i had spent more than 30 minutes on it though ;)

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 00:41:10

im gonna get started on mine right away, good idea too johan, just a suggestion for next weeks theme, Prehistoric Creature?

Just a suggestion.

-[DeviantArt]- ~The-Ninja-Monkey

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 02:02:14

Ok so heres my submission for this week, doesnt look quite finished to me but i dont know what else to put in it. i might add a little more to it later, but it is finished as for now

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 02:09:39

At 3/7/07 02:02 AM, The-Ninja-Monkey wrote: Ok so heres my submission for this week, doesnt look quite finished to me but i dont know what else to put in it. i might add a little more to it later, but it is finished as for now

oops forgot about the description,

Name: Sanduster
Description: Grazes around the high hills of the ng dessert, constantly being attacked by tankmen for its delicate hooves which make a good substitute for chocolate milk.

BBS Signature

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 12:06:05

Jumping Jiminy Christmas. I believe s1nt3ch may have this one in the bag, but I'm also looking forward to Zach's remastered product.
It's already almost decided, and I'm not even close to finishing mine. To Hell with all of you awesome artists...

~AP

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 12:49:43

Ok... from now on... I'm not promising anything x.x

I
extremely dislike
honor's class homework....

I think that the teachers feel that since it's an honors class, that's a good enough excuse to torture us...

Btw, I have a great idea for this one too.... but who's to say if I can get it done or not. I'll probably have to do it with real media, since I barely see the face of my beautiful computer screen anymore....

*quietly sobs in a dark corner*

Good luck to everyone though ^_^ They're looking great!

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 15:11:15

i think i will add real people intead of stick dudes

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 16:38:46

Im working on mine, but It might not be acceptable. Its basically a giant lion/scorpion thing. Is that allowed or does it count as an animal (or two).

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 16:50:38

all the submissions are looking good. I'm submitting mine on Thursday. ITS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!! ARGGGG!!! Anywho good job to the people taht have already submitted theirs and good luck to the people that are going to

My Art ISU. Tell me what you think.

DeviantFart

YOU WANNA SEE SOME GOOD ART!? Well then you shouldn't click here.

Response to C.o.w Creature Of The Week #18 2007-03-07 17:07:21

Spotted Sahare

A big, two-legged lizard that wanders the desert.

I'm so creative =P