00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story)

4,917 Views | 32 Replies

Maybe 1 out of a 100 of you will have read, "Kafka on the Shore" (Amazon Link ) but whether or not you have, Murakami's style of writing in this and 'The Elephant Vanishes' appeal to me greatly. So I've done my best to mock up his style in a short story below.

My name is Wei Fu although I guess everyone who knows me calls me by the name on the tag pinned to my t-shirt, ‘Sarai’.
I started this story by mentioning that I own a tag and it has probably led you to conclude that I am not a very important person. I guess that in the grand scheme of it all you would be right, for a start I am one person in a city of millions, all with similar dreams and ambitions and my job is far from unique most of the time.
I work in a hotel, a business place for the most part and it’s generally foreigners that come here. I think we have an international website where you can book from your home in the States.
I am a gym instructor, for six days a week I help these high-powered men, (occasionally women) with their exercises, whether it’s showing them how to use our machines or doing one-on-one classes in tai-chi or the like (not real tai-chi mind you, none of our guests stay long enough to even learn the first circle). I guess I should describe myself a bit, so you can think through the guests eyes when they stare at or sometimes through me.

I am around 5 foot and 3 inches. I am neither therefore tall or very short in my country. If I am to go outside to maybe a restaurant I will wear heels that add a couple of inches. Sometimes I think that maybe I should just stay on flats because every girl is doing heels, everyone is 5 foot 5 inches at night, I am compelled to obey this rule as well because even amongst poor people like me, you need to have certain fashions and class to stay “socially mobile”.
I have long black hair that falls down my back to my waist, it is longer in the centre than at the sides and when I am using gym machines I must tie it up or pin it back because I wouldn’t want to have my scalp taken or some other accident.
I am thin and toned to the level I need to be to work this job but no more. I don’t tan myself or give myself other fakeness, so in all I am nearly typical of your twenty-three year old woman.

“Hello Wui”, the thirty-something American says. I am at work now and he is my first one-on-one session for a minor 30 minute workout, warm-up and cool-down. I don’t bother to correct his mispronunciation of my name, but automatically I step down my English comprehension a bit, I have to keep my face you see. He is around six foot one inch but slightly out of shape by the looks of it, a little too much paunch around his waist.

“Sariee”, (I stress the ‘E’ to fulfill the stereotypical Chinese accent) “will be most so happy to help sir with exercise this night-evening, what sir wanting to be doing first?” I can see by his face that he is feeling two things; superiority and disappointment – both understandable I guess, I am after all only a gym worker and with poorer English his training won’t be as quick or as good. This pleases me somewhat, I have regained my face.

“Okay Sarai”, (He got it right, does he know I am playing a game?), “I want to work shoulders, legs, abs and cardio”, (He knows his stuff it appears as this is an exact thirty minute work out)

“Music want?”, I point over at a battered looking Sony CD player, he shakes his head. He is serious business I guess.
I start with the simple warm-up exercises and lead him through a routine that I have learnt during a recent training session at the larger gym in Shanghai. We get going through this on loosening our muscles and improving the blood-flow through stretches and then jogging. Time goes quickly and I am absorbed in my work, I take pride in it, it is important to do a good job. I don’t get paid per job, just a daily rate, but good customer feedback is important to a small bonus at the end of the week and then chances such as going on training in Shanghai where my sister lives who I can’t see otherwise.
Our thirty minutes are almost up and we both check our pulses at the end, they are both healthy. I use my hands to work on the muscles in his thighs and the joints around his shoulder. He has a slight sheen of sweat on his brow but the cool down exercise has worked and he is not out of breath.

“Thank you Sarai, that was very good. I feel very relaxed and I would…” he cocks his head slightly to the side, “You did a good job.”

“It is only my job, I am glad it is your satisfaction, I hope you enjoy next stay at our hotel in future.” I am already thinking about the next slot, it’s an aerobics session with no appointment required; sometimes it’s busy, sometimes not.

“I’ll be seeing you then after your next session”, his words startle me back to the here-and-now.

“Oh” I manage, “It’s like that?” my voice is lower.

“Yes, it’s like that. I was recommended, the manager agreed.” He waves his hand vaguely behind him in the direction of the front-desk, “I just wanted to see you first, you know. It’s expensive so therefore you have to be right.”

“I see. I guess later then.” I am desperate for him to leave so that the dwindling ten minutes between now and my next class can be my time, for my thoughts.

“See you Sarai”, he turns and leaves taking his towel and small Nike bag with him.

I walk out of the gym and over to the front desk. The manager scowls at me as I am wearing gym clothes outside the gym, he would think that I am ‘bringing the tone down’. He bustles me into the office and it’s the same as always. He says the money is good this time, (It always is for him, less for me), that Xuan will watch over me so I am not hurt, (I think Xuan likes to watch too much herself but I don’t say anything, she is better than nothing) and that how he is sorry that it is only Tuesday. I ask why he is sorry that it is Tuesday he tells me that the American has booked a room for the week and paid for me in advance. ‘Oh’ I say. I think hard about this now. It is only Tuesday and I wanted to go out on the weekend and look at travel agents, I don’t think I would be able to go out after four days of the American. I tell this to the manager hoping for a little shred of human decency. He however reminds me of the fact I am working here illegally, without a X’ian residency permit, that I am a second child and that my parents could be fined a lot if he told anyone and that it is only the start of the month, he has my pay in his safe (along with my passport).
What can I do? Even though his is a stupid man who only manages the hotel because of his family connections, those connections mean so much more than any claim to intelligence or humanity I might deserve. He can say what he wants about me and I would be in jail.

Maybe the reader is interested in what I do, perhaps reading you think I am a prostitute. I am not, but my manager does sell my body. He is a pimp of my body, I try not to think this way much as it just depresses me.

Part 1 of 2

The Newgrounds O-Ren-Ishii but with a nicer smile and still alive

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 05:18:09

Part 2 of 2

Resigned to tonight I walkthrough my aerobics class that is only attended by one young girl and her mother, both Chinese. I recognise them, they come from outside the hotel. They have no kind words for me and leave after the session is done, I can’t say I blame them –the music was in high-spirits, their instructor was not.

Xuan comes up to me while I am showering in preparation. She touches me lightly on the shoulder. I flinch slightly. We speak about small things in Mandarin, but of course our language hides intonations and meanings and although she really sounds like she is concerned for me I know that she enjoys too much what happens to be a reliable help. As usual I will be left to defend myself. After I finish washing my hair she leads me out of the shower having had no real reason to take one in the first place. She treats me like some kind of valuable treasure and tries to dress me. I swot her away for the most part, but let her do my gloves and my ‘helmet’. I better describe how I look now, because if anything it might make you laugh I look so silly.
I am dressed in a karate Gi, that is a loose fitting white garment. It has a low v-neck so exposing my breasts slightly. I wear a brown belt, third Kyu, because that is what I am. Not that I am allowed, or would use my training against anyone, even my clients because if they wanted they could have me arrested and put into prison for attacking them. My hair is loose down my back and I wear small Tabi slippers that I will take off once I get inside the room. Xuan has helped me get my child-size red boxing gloves on, they are ridiculous against my white Gi.

We walk together towards the back of the hotel. No one sees us as we go the back way behind the kitchen. Xuan leads me, she is nineteen and the manager’s daughter. Another stupid conflict of interest should anything happen to me... I also know she likes women more than men and that that will be another choice that I fear I will have to make sooner rather than later, there are so many people who can destroy me.
The room is an old storage room that has had padding put on the walls and floor (but not the ceiling, I guess Chinese people are short, hah, or the manager is just cheap). The American is waiting outside wearing the same clothes almost as before, although he is not wearing shoes now as required. He has larger boxing gloves on.
Xuan greets him in poor English, he nods politely through the babble, obviously having been made aware that she is the manager’s daughter. When she has finished I wearily step through the door, but he blocks me slightly,

“My name is David, you can call me Dave. I promise I won’t keep going if you say stop,” it’s strange, he doesn’t look worried at all, maybe he’s done this before, “I know you have some training, so you should be ok, shouldn’t you Sarai.” It’s not a question, but I shrug and retort, “That depends on your restraint”, maybe it wasn’t the best thing to say.
We step inside the room and Xuan shuts the door, there’s a small bolt and I hear her slide it home. I step away from David, never knowing what to expect. He bows at me, it’s very solemn and then quickly he is beating me with his gloves. He starts out at a level I can just about keep up with, but I already know he’s capable of more. A few of his blow glance past my guard and jar against my shoulder. We continue like this for a minute, I do not strike him back, it’s very rare for a customer to want that. Without warning he swings a left hook into my side winding me somewhat and knocking me to the floor. His glove deadens the pain a bit and I start to pull myself to my feet, he however yanks me up and before my guard is up again another blow this time to the stomach, and another full of power that parts straight through my guard and into my breasts. I feel sick from the blow and also the nasty thought deep down that maybe today it will be the final time I do this.
He pushes me to my feet and steps back, behind him Xuan’s face peers through the door. She gives me the ‘thumbs up’ sign.

We continue, or rather he continues like this for fifteen minutes. I am hurt this time, not as bad as it has been on very rare occasions, but still more than is safe or fair. That makes me think while he his hitting me, ‘What is fair?’, is it fair that I am here doing this because of blackmail, because the state doesn’t want people to have two children, because women’s lives are worth far less here than many other countries. I guess it is fair in China, but as before, the beating I am getting now only strengthens my resolve to take my sister and myself across to Europe. I reckon that if Europeans and Americans travel to China to beat up women it must mean they don’t do it back home. Of course I’ve also heard it’s an easier life over there and I have distant relations in London.

He ends his night of ‘fun’ twenty minutes later by punching me in the head, a right hook it catches the side of my helmet and deadens my ear, I fall to the ground. He looks down at me but I can’t see his face very well as my sight is blurred. From somewhere he pulls out what looks like US money in paper-notes. He bends down and tucks it into the V-neck of my GI. I lie there, I can tell he knows that I will be okay in a few hours, but I think his concern if there had been any would be more that I would not be okay to see him tomorrow.
Xuan opens the door and the two trade places. She sinks down next to me and I can tell she has been pleasuring herself while watching. She pulls my helmet off and strokes my face before cupping one of my breasts. I close my eyes, my heart heavy with pain equal to that the blows of David have caused my body. I try and get up but it will be an hour before I can and while still more abuse happens to me, I wonder if it’s worth waking up tomorrow.

c'est fin. Comments if you have any?
Sadly it actually happens in China (and I guess other countries).

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 05:23:15

I like your sig. Nice little story by the way.

ZOMG YOU TE ASAIN?!? *Double orgasums + head impolsions*

XDeeZeroZero4Two-thousand six.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 05:33:01

I found that writing to be pure trash.

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 05:44:14

At 3/4/07 05:36 AM, TheD-LucksEdition wrote: Nice story, Sarai. Kinda sad though :(

Thank you, it is sad. Lots of women go through worse though in countries like China, it's easy to get abused there. Whether by corrupt officials or rich foreign tourists from the West. It's something I believe in enough to support AI in their work.

I always enjoy writing, even if the writing isn't as good as it should be or anywhere near the original author's, but I've moved away from the name-dropping and into more serious shorts.

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 06:40:13

I loved it. Well written, very meticulously detailed, flamboyant. I can picture everything in my head right now. I regretted starting to read it but I'm glad I didn't skip this oppurtunity. It was pretty sad though :(

Also, nice sig/post boobs.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 06:44:04

At 3/4/07 06:40 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I loved it. Well written, very meticulously detailed, flamboyant. I can picture everything in my head right now. I regretted starting to read it but I'm glad I didn't skip this oppurtunity. It was pretty sad though :(

Also, nice sig/post boobs.

Thank you, you made me smile a lot! I know it's not a greatly well written story because of a few things, but still I'm glad you didn't skip it. Yes, it's a sad story, I tend to write that kind.

Thank you for the sig comment, it's not me in the picture, that's a woman from an old NG banner ad. I can't post boobs either dear, I'm sorry :P But you can always visit my Myspace *grin*

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 06:47:07

At 3/4/07 06:44 AM, Sarai wrote: Thank you, you made me smile a lot! I know it's not a greatly well written story because of a few things, but still I'm glad you didn't skip it. Yes, it's a sad story, I tend to write that kind.

Thank you for the sig comment, it's not me in the picture, that's a woman from an old NG banner ad. I can't post boobs either dear, I'm sorry :P But you can always visit my Myspace *grin*

That's alright, I tend to write sad stuff too. Has more of an appeal to me. That's too bad that you can't post the breasts you perpetually mentioned but I don't have a Myspace and your profile is set to private.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 06:48:03

Very impressive, and well-done.

The only thing I can say that I would have preferred is if you had used your own writing style. I think you're talented enough to do so.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 06:51:47

At 3/4/07 06:48 AM, Monocrom wrote: Very impressive, and well-done.

The only thing I can say that I would have preferred is if you had used your own writing style. I think you're talented enough to do so.

I did :)

Elephant Vanishes and the like is nothing like this, but they are great books.

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 07:31:41

I hate to be an asshole, but if I post this thread in my sig and it gets 2 pages will you post boobs?

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 07:45:35

You're a good writer Sarai.

Alivens

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 07:51:14

At 3/4/07 07:31 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I hate to be an asshole, but if I post this thread in my sig and it gets 2 pages will you post boobs?

Two pages? Haha, I have two threads I've started over 50 pages :) Five, and we'll see here :p I might post a few more here when I have time.

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 07:57:38

At 3/4/07 07:39 AM, cellardoor6 wrote:
At 3/4/07 07:31 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: I hate to be an asshole, but if I post this thread in my sig and it gets 2 pages will you post boobs?
Haha, that would be sexual harassment...

The fact that you said that in this thread, in which she shared a story about women being treated poorly... well that's just hilarious, because you probably weren't even aware of it.

Actually yeah that is pretty ironic eh.. that's why I hate being an asshole.. I wouldn't normally do this either so I have no idea why I did

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 08:02:37

Pretty good stuff, here...though I'm not familiar with the style you were trying to emulate, I still found that it was both interesting and fairly well written.

A saddening story, to be sure (worse, perhaps, then what I'd thought at the start...for a while I was under the impression that she'd "only" have to suffer sexual abuse).

I actually didn't know that people paid money to beat up women...though I suppose it makes sense. If you can pay for sex, you can probably pay for something like that.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 08:18:54

Link,

there are actually more legitamate places in China you can do it. I posted the link once to the BBC news report. The 'Anger Bar', it's a place where stressed people can beat out on male waiters. They all wear protection and it's safe and monitored. But for every safe place like that which is basically another form of something like Paintball... there is a seedier side. I have no idea about whether places exist which are *very* violent, but I know it's quite possible to beat up people who are kinda 'volunteers' for it and have less protetion. You must remember that with 600 million women in China and the level of poverty and corruption things can happen here which wouldn't be very easy to happen in England.

As another comparison, look at Thailand and the child sex trade... Some countries make things that are awful, much easier.

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 10:10:14

Superbly written. My eyes hurt from the endless blend of light-gray and black, but it was a really good story.

Is your writing skill something you use in your profession, or is it just something you do in your spare time?

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 10:16:58

Great story, Sarai.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 10:33:49

It was a very well written story.The truth needs to be exposed.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 10:39:38

I've only read a couple paragraphs thus far, but I'll leave a quick comment:

The style is strong and deeply reminiscent of Margaret Atwood. Quirky without being esoteric, a good way to grab the reader.

I dunno if you've read any of Atwood's stuff, but I recommend it. :)

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 10:42:45

At 3/4/07 08:18 AM, Sarai wrote:
a lot of things

...I see. I actually didn't know anything about that...must be because none of that stuff happens in Italy. Or, at least, this kind of thing hasn't been exposed over here as of yet, if it is going on in this area.

Thanks for filling me in, anyhow.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 11:11:55

That was a really compelling and sad story.

It reminds me of my experiences in China

Ive been to third world countries before and in terms of corruption i thought I had just about seen it all, then we sailed to Shanghai....

Within 10 seconds of the dubious looking plank of plywood they were calling a "gangway" going across to our accomodation ladder we were besieged by the usual salesmen trying to flog their dodgy goods.... and nick anything that wasnt welded to the deck. Nothing new with this see it every other port.

Seeing some clatty motherfucker trying to whore his prepubescent daughter off was a first and sadly it wasn't the last time I saw this in our 48 hours stay.
"She vewwee tight!" was the bastards sales pitch. I wanted to put him in the cold storage space until we got back to sea.

The captain decided to play things by the book and had the ships agent call the police. 2 officers came, promptly accused the captain of breaking the law (Which law they didnt state) and had to be fobbed off with cigarettes and whisky.

If i never go back to China i'll be glad.

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 13:16:32

At 3/4/07 10:39 AM, Maus wrote: I've only read a couple paragraphs thus far, but I'll leave a quick comment:

The style is strong and deeply reminiscent of Margaret Atwood. Quirky without being esoteric, a good way to grab the reader.

I dunno if you've read any of Atwood's stuff, but I recommend it. :)

No, I've not read her work, I think I'd like to read it if you reccomend it. I am currently reading a few things at the moment, but I'll put her on my list. Are any specific titles worth talking about? Or just start anywhere?

Thank you for the comments.

@ Dingo... China is obviously not all like this. Every large city has it's underside.

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 13:16:53

Fuck off.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 13:52:02

I'm actually just posting here to say that I've read Kafka on the Shore JUST THIS WEEKEND. How about that eh? cos i r well read. Amazing book.

Good story and that, and you can sort of see Murikami's influence, but I probably wouldn't have picked up on it if I hadn't been told.

Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story)

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 13:53:29

At 3/4/07 01:52 PM, Mr-Pope wrote: I'm actually just posting here to say that I've read Kafka on the Shore JUST THIS WEEKEND. How about that eh? cos i r well read. Amazing book.

Good story and that, and you can sort of see Murikami's influence, but I probably wouldn't have picked up on it if I hadn't been told.

I am half way through Kafka, he has just met the 'mistress of the library', while Nakata is heading out of the city. I won't spoil it for you incase you didn't finish yet? Hope you enjoyed it, if you did finish it, don't spoil it for me! :)

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 14:23:37

very interesting kinda sad......would make a great short film 10/10

-[[<3 Rena]]-

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-04 17:39:47

At 3/4/07 02:23 PM, Funky-F15 wrote: very interesting kinda sad......would make a great short film 10/10

I hope that would be true, but I fear not!

:)

Next story on Tuesday :)

Got Rice?

BBS Signature

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-05 11:41:53

Hearing that it happens a lot destroyed my last bit of faith in humanity.

Response to Gym Instructor In Prc (short Story) 2007-03-05 12:21:46

At 3/5/07 11:41 AM, Idocreating wrote: Hearing that it happens a lot destroyed my last bit of faith in humanity.

I'm sorry to hear that. There is still some good left in the world if you ignore Cellardoor6 and TSCom :)

Got Rice?

BBS Signature