Be a Supporter!

[talk] Tentacle Monsters...

  • 16,838 Views
  • 267 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:12 AM Reply

I vanted to say that I really like deadspread83's. I think it's the best in the official thread so far.
I am also jealous of so many of you guys'sssss line art. I for some reason lack nice steady clean looking art. And creativity. klsjklfsd
I cant wait to see more work.


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
MadCow
MadCow
  • Member since: May. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:41 AM Reply

At 2/10/07 01:12 AM, ShitOnAStick wrote: I vanted to say that I really like deadspread83's. I think it's the best in the official thread so far.
I am also jealous of so many of you guys'sssss line art. I for some reason lack nice steady clean looking art. And creativity. klsjklfsd
I cant wait to see more work.

I actually thought yours was really neat.
I liked how it looks kinda like a painting, instead of digital art (to me at least).
You have to potential to do some really dark/violent, and abstract stuff, imo :o


REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Artist
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:45 AM Reply

Could someone comment on mine, please? Would be apreciated...


Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
ArtistJ
ArtistJ
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 2/9/07 06:15 PM, MadCow wrote: What do you mean by Vectors? The only Vector I know is the neat-o stuff you can make in Photoshop with the Pen tool or w/e. I've always kinda meant to get into making stuff in there, even though I know it takes a whole lot of time. I wanna be as good as Stamper >_>

Vectors are what images are built out of in Macromedia Flash and Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. It's using the point's on a path to construct overlying shapes that become the drawing.

At 2/10/07 01:05 AM, MindChamber wrote: awesome tracejob.. you have a steady hand.

well, It's all adobe illustrator pen tool with a snap to grid for most of it...
since you pointed out it's a trace job, I'll post the original pictures that I used as references.
You can see that although the cloth's shape was traced, it was then compressed
(my Tentacle monster will be feeling up the chick under the table)
And the chairs were based on the ones in the picture, but ended up being just rectangles connected with the pathfinder, and then using the Effect>3D>Rotate to adjust the pieces in perspective. That Table stand will be created by taking that line and going to Effect>3D>Revolve and turning it into a 3D shape that way.

Once I add a better stroke to the traced arm it wont look so choppy, and rest assured the girl attached to it will be drawn from scratch, because I don't feel like wading through porn to find a girl sitting with an up-skirt shot.

Trust me, the finished piece will be fucking beautiful, and I'm so excited.

[talk] Tentacle Monsters...


BBS Signature
ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 10:53 AM Reply

^^ But I thought we werent allowed trace jobs? Im confused :(


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
peanutbutterclawk
peanutbutterclawk
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 12:09 PM Reply

hahahaha Has anybody seen this pic? I just saw it on CC.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons /4/44/Dream_of_the_fishermans_wife_hokusai.jp g


MAGIC SEXY WIZARD
SOUNDCLOUD|FACEBOOK|TWITTER|
MAGIC SEXY WIZARD IS RELEASING A MIXTAPE FEBRUARY ENTITLED "HIGH KING KUNG FU GOD"

BBS Signature
Sharples
Sharples
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:45 AM, idiot-monarch wrote: Could someone comment on mine, please? Would be apreciated...

What kind of comments do you want?

If you're looking for an art critique, I would suggest spending a little time developing some of the shadows and caused by the lighting you've suggested in the piece. What I mean is, you've got a moon that's going to be casting a silhouette of light all around them, but you've drawn the light as if there's a lightbulb just behind them, casting on the insides of their faces. Take a look at my submission to see what i'm talking about. They are illuminated by the sun directly behind them, so there is light on all sides.

And I don't know what program you're using to draw, but if you happen to be using photoshop, you might try messing with the 'color balance' settings to make all the colors less vibrant, like it's nighttime. things aren't quite as bright when there is less light.

I hope I'm not coming off as an ass, but I tend to only see the flaws in anything-- I'm just that kind of person!!

But hey, It's still a good valentines piece!

Sharples
Sharples
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:19 PM Reply

Hey NatanielMilburn... love your style! for some reason, the fluffy edges of the underside of the tentacles really intrigue me.

They're just so... fluffy!

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:54 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 10:53 AM, ShitOnAStick wrote: ^^ But I thought we werent allowed trace jobs? Im confused :(

were not.

ZekeySpaceyLizard
ZekeySpaceyLizard
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 01:54 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 2/10/07 10:53 AM, ShitOnAStick wrote: ^^ But I thought we werent allowed trace jobs? Im confused :(
were not.

In the words of Waid Flomp himself, "OH SNAP!!1!"

ArtistJ
ArtistJ
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 04:15 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 01:59 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote:
At 2/10/07 01:54 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 2/10/07 10:53 AM, ShitOnAStick wrote: ^^ But I thought we werent allowed trace jobs? Im confused :(
were not.
In the words of Wade Flomp himself, "OH SNAP!!1!"

look, what we are discouraging is people just finding a picture of a popular tentacle rape scene and and resubmitting it as their own with little effort on their behalf, such as cumSum's submission that is simply a trace of that small figurine they are selling online.

When you trace (rotoscope) a few difficult sections of a drawing using vectors with incredible detail but have an overall extremely different composition and feel to your overall peice most people will not argue that it is still an artistic thing.

Here's a perfect example with a piece I made about a year ago. This was based on four separate images, one of a Car, one of a Bus, one of train from the front and one of a train from the side. In a tedious process I went over each image simplifying them with the pen tool.
Notice I didnt just hit a button and magically trace the image. It took a few hours to go over each picture. Then each vector was distorted or warped in space slightly, and the train's front was foreshortened and it's side was also rendered in three dimensional space. Then the background was designed out of simple geometric shapes to give the image a juxtaposing composition with an overall theme.

In this situation, would the fact that a few elements of the image were based on photographs change the way you view the picture?
Maybe.
Does it stop it from having artistic merit or make it unoriginal?
Certainly not, as there is nothing else wholly like it anywhere else.

This ends up not much different than a person who photochops fine art out of several merged photographs pushed to the limits, or a 3D artist who gets all their weight mapping off a Motion Cap. Device. That animator still had to place the Polygons onto the figure and render the little details and textures.

In the end you might ask yourselves, are these really shortcuts if they end up taking longer or just strategies for producing better work?

From my experiences in Art school, I do not think many artists draw without looking at photo's if its something they are having trouble remembering the dimensions of-- or can not produce a still life of their own.

[talk] Tentacle Monsters...


BBS Signature
ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 04:15 PM, ArtistJ wrote:

In the end you might ask yourselves, are these really shortcuts if they end up taking longer or just strategies for producing better work?

That's like saying, fuck trying to understand dimensions and shadow on my own through a reference, it'll just take too long, so I'll project an image onto my paper and trace it and just shade.
It's saying line art has no strong purpose or technique like coloring and shading. However, the whole point is to master it on your own. I rather have a shotty looking out of perspective drawing to learn from than trace something I think is too difficult and not bother to learn.
Fine, it takes you longer to perfect from not tracing for that ONE piece, but it takes you longer to master the skill itself in the long run if you do trace.

From my experiences in Art school, I do not think many artists draw without looking at photo's if its something they are having trouble remembering the dimensions of-- or can not produce a still life of their own.

From MY experience in art school, it's one thing to reference, and one thing to trace. You start with reference, you go to life sittings, and when you can master something like that, thats when you can skip your ass off to whatever you want. It's one thing to look at something, and map to yourself how the shading blends with the color that blends with lines, that can blend with light, and how everything reflects off eachother. At least you take initiative to finding out through your technique why the perspective does that, or the shadow makes those shapes. But tracing? You just know it's there and thats about it.
Looking at something to remind them what their anatomy is, or what persceptive you're at, is a world of difference between not even bothering understanding, and just undermining their own experience to get down to "what will look nicer in the end" and just trace.


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
Alinoe
Alinoe
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 04:42 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote:
At 2/10/07 04:15 PM, ArtistJ wrote:


From my experiences in Art school ...

Is there a place or a page when we can see you art ? you're probably better than you say if you study/ied in an art school


Ce message ne s'auto-détruira pas ...

ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 01:41 AM, MadCow wrote:
I actually thought yours was really neat.
I liked how it looks kinda like a painting, instead of digital art (to me at least).
You have to potential to do some really dark/violent, and abstract stuff, imo :o

I almost didnt see this. I guess the only reason it looks more like a painting was due to the fact I never did any digital work until, well now, and painted irl instead over the years obviously. But iunno, I like the clean digital look over the Fine Artsy-painting-style. ( probably because I ended up loathing Fine Arts as a program and switching to illustration)
But I guess it's each to their own, and thanks for the comment. My classmates think Im weird when I end up always doing violent or bloody works, but I like it D:

At 2/10/07 04:49 PM, Alinoe wrote:
Is there a place or a page when we can see you art ? you're probably better than you say if you study/ied in an art school

Heh, not really..I only started digital art within this month, because my brother lent me his tablet, so I didnt bother really making any place to keep them via internet upload sites..And I dont have a scanner so, I never bother scanning my drawings, because my brother makes a big deal if i ask to use his scanner for a second.
But uh, I entered the contest on page 3 if thats any reference at all.


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
Alinoe
Alinoe
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:03 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote:
At 2/10/07 04:49 PM, Alinoe wrote:
Is there a place or a page when we can see you art ? you're probably better than you say if you study/ied in an art school
Heh, not really..I only started digital art within this month, because my brother lent me his tablet, so I didnt bother really making any place to keep them via internet upload sites..And I dont have a scanner so, I never bother scanning my drawings, because my brother makes a big deal if i ask to use his scanner for a second.
But uh, I entered the contest on page 3 if thats any reference at all.

Well, actually, yours is one of the best, but I'd never work with any art program so I can't appreciate it as any other of that contest.
Don't you have a digital camera ? you could take a picture of your hand drawing ... that's what I do


Ce message ne s'auto-détruira pas ...

ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:14 PM, Alinoe wrote:
Well, actually, yours is one of the best, but I'd never work with any art program so I can't appreciate it as any other of that contest.

Never worked with Photoshop?
and thanks.

Don't you have a digital camera ? you could take a picture of your hand drawing ... that's what I do

If only you had any clue how shitty my digital cam is. It's like, one of the cheapest you can by, and that you HAVE to pretty much put on timer, cause the most slightest, tinest hand shake will blur the photo. Also, it has terrible quality and lighting, the flash does nothing(or just over exposes). It's almost a relatively worthless camera. just the fact it's portable is probably the only reason I have it.
Whenever I invest in a scanner, I'll see about making an online portfolio. Maybe after a summer job.


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
Alinoe
Alinoe
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:20 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote:
At 2/10/07 05:14 PM, Alinoe wrote:
Never worked with Photoshop?

No. There is too much option and I'm too lazy to learn how to use them ... I prefer work with 3 or 4 pencils and play with shadows.

If only you had any clue how shitty my digital cam is. It's like, one of the cheapest you can by, and that you HAVE to pretty much put on timer, cause the most slightest, tinest hand shake will blur the photo. Also, it has terrible quality and lighting, the flash does nothing(or just over exposes). It's almost a relatively worthless camera. just the fact it's portable is probably the only reason I have it.

Ok I belive you but you could also ask a friend of yours to lend you his cam ...


Ce message ne s'auto-détruira pas ...

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 04:15 PM, ArtistJ wrote:

bla bla.. im offended..blah blah

wow,, what alot of pretentious jibba-jabba,
I dont know what school your'e at , but from where I went to that piece you submitted would be considered a collagé .

btw referencing is when an artist looks at a subject and draws from it. anybody can trace.

ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:57 PM Reply

to LiLg; I love your submission, looks really professional. Nice line art. the face of the tentacle monster amuses me as well :D


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 05:58 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:57 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote: to LiLg; I love your submission, looks really professional. Nice line art. the face of the tentacle monster amuses me as well :D

totally!! I had to make a double take!!! Its almosted animated I love it

peanutbutterclawk
peanutbutterclawk
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 04:15 PM, ArtistJ wrote: In the end you might ask yourselves, are these really shortcuts if they end up taking longer or just strategies for producing better work?

ok, but is it really that you drew it? when you trace all your doing is just copying something exactly and not adding any style of your own to it whatsoever, all you can really do stylishly is color it some wierd way. Besides is what your doing really fair to other people who try really hard making something of their own?


MAGIC SEXY WIZARD
SOUNDCLOUD|FACEBOOK|TWITTER|
MAGIC SEXY WIZARD IS RELEASING A MIXTAPE FEBRUARY ENTITLED "HIGH KING KUNG FU GOD"

BBS Signature
LiLg
LiLg
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:57 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote: to LiLg; I love your submission, looks really professional. Nice line art. the face of the tentacle monster amuses me as well :D

Thanks buddy. Glad ya liked it.


BBS Signature
Catoblepas
Catoblepas
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 05:57 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote: to LiLg; I love your submission, looks really professional. Nice line art. the face of the tentacle monster amuses me as well :D

Damn! there are so many great entries, that I might just have to make another one.


BBS Signature
ShitOnAStick
ShitOnAStick
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 06:25 PM, Catoblepas wrote:
At 2/10/07 05:57 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote: to LiLg; I love your submission, looks really professional. Nice line art. the face of the tentacle monster amuses me as well :D
Damn! there are so many great entries, that I might just have to make another one.

Yours is actually one of my favs, clever too!


RoseSOAS: you should know i dont think this far ahead
Me made simple: well you already thought as far as holding a chicken while in your underwear

BBS Signature
Alinoe
Alinoe
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 06:31 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote:
At 2/10/07 06:25 PM, Catoblepas wrote:
At 2/10/07 05:57 PM, ShitOnAStick wrote: to LiLg; I love your submission, looks really professional. Nice line art. the face of the tentacle monster amuses me as well :D
Damn! there are so many great entries, that I might just have to make another one.
Yours is actually one of my favs, clever too!

yeah, yours is actually very funny but personnaly, for the originality, my favorite is LeafWorthy's one


Ce message ne s'auto-détruira pas ...

Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Animator
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 2/10/07 12:09 PM, peanutbutterclawk wrote: hahahaha Has anybody seen this pic? I just saw it on CC.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons /4/44/Dream_of_the_fishermans_wife_hokusai.jp g

Y'know the funny thing is that's not so much 'tentacle rape' as it is 'octopus cunnilingus'

peanutbutterclawk
peanutbutterclawk
  • Member since: Aug. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 09:37 PM Reply

I'd agree with you if she wasn't bare naked.


MAGIC SEXY WIZARD
SOUNDCLOUD|FACEBOOK|TWITTER|
MAGIC SEXY WIZARD IS RELEASING A MIXTAPE FEBRUARY ENTITLED "HIGH KING KUNG FU GOD"

BBS Signature
Zack
Zack
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 10th, 2007 @ 10:17 PM Reply

I really love a lot of these pictures they are very well done! I really like Zekey's s. Bugs your's is looking great also. Hell of them for the most part are very well done makes me wish I had the time to sit down and learn to draw as well as you all. Anyway just thought I'd compliment you guys :D


"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature
Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 11th, 2007 @ 03:55 AM Reply

only time i ever seen tracing as accepptible is by animators when doing a spacific object.
like i can draw a dragon, and you cant say its wrong....because you cant show me a real dragon and dissprove it.

i can however mess up a 1982 camero, because in fact, those exist and can be looked at and compared and contratsed.

animtors most often will trace a base then animate using that base as refrance.
its mostly used amongst background artist for the sure simple fact of resteriction of time.
we all know they can draw the tokyo dome pillar to window, but why wast 9 hours doing somtyhing that can be done in 30 min? that is a example of knowing when to flex your mucle and knowing when to just get it done.

diffrance from a bg artist or animator who traced a picture or took parts from one and you is they have in fact masterd there art. they show this by using there base and then creating veiws ,angles and other detail not shown in a stock photo...and at any giving time can and will blow you away with there talatent.
and fact they are not enterting a contest, or showing off as there own. it is mearly a setting, place or oject to get done and move along.

so by saying professnals trace, it is done merly by convence, not lack of skill and know how.
and they certantly never entera a traced peice in contest or take claim for "laying over ink"


Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature
DarkShadow8181
DarkShadow8181
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to [talk] Tentacle Monsters... Feb. 11th, 2007 @ 05:55 AM Reply

you guys mind telling me what you think of mine? :D it should be on the third page.