00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Reason Vs FL

5,406 Views | 68 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 01:41:35

At 1/31/07 01:29 AM, Stealth-Emergence wrote:
From what I can see about reason, FL kicks major ass in the VSTi's department, Reason seems somewhat limited in comparison

VSTs have always been great with FL, same with almost every mixing program. When your working with Reason, I dont think there is any limit to what you can do. Refills and patches are the best when your using Reason. Acually making those patches and sounds can be even funner!

Remember, VSTs take programming to acaully make. To save information from one of them is simple though. And there is alot of instuments and effects out there to use too. Sure, in reason you cant get new hardware. But think about combining the hardware, making your own instuments and patches. ITS SO FUN, LOL!

REASON IS THE BEST!!
FL gets a clap. ;)

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 07:25:00

Reason is completely Professional but very tricky..takes much more time to make a song

FL has a worse sound..is less professional but easier to use

END OF DISCUSSION

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 07:28:34

At 1/31/07 07:25 AM, ZeRo-BaSs wrote: Reason is completely Professional but very tricky..takes much more time to make a song

You need an appointment with Dr Rex!

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 10:21:39

At 1/31/07 07:25 AM, ZeRo-BaSs wrote: Reason is completely Professional but very tricky..takes much more time to make a song

DISCUSSION THIS AND PROVE ME WORNG, PLEASE (lol)

there, that´s better ^^

As you know, the´program is as good as you are bla bla bla etc.

How much have you tried FL anyway? I never tried it, but ive heard wondrous results with it. If youi by meaning it "sounds" worse is talking about the effects that are premade in FL, that´s different tho. I dont think Cubase´s EQ is that good, but i dont have to use it, right?

Wouldnt expect such a comment from an artist such as you, ZB... O_O

Wakka wakka

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 13:37:29

Depends.

If you're talking fruityloops on its own, no addons, VSTs or anything, Reason totally thrashes it hands down. However, with the right vst plugins, fruityloops is theoretically much more expandable - though good VST's don't come cheap in a small filesize.

That's not saying of course that there are at least 5 VST sequencers that are far better than FL (Cubase, Protools etc)...

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 13:49:31

wow, it was kinda hot here a moment...

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 13:49:53

worst comes to worst, use MS Paint like I do.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 13:52:49

At 1/31/07 01:49 PM, MaestroRage wrote: worst comes to worst, use MS Paint like I do.

Isn't that the thing you make Flash movies with?

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 14:09:31

That jokes gotten old.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 14:36:08

Maybe if this topic wasn't made once a week.

The best program for you to make music is the one you feel comfortable with. Finito.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 15:33:06

I actually use google to make my music.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 15:37:38

At 1/31/07 03:33 PM, WilliamVance wrote: I actually use google to make my music.

Sooooo boring! >:(

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 15:48:26

At 1/31/07 03:37 PM, DJ-Ravecore wrote:
At 1/31/07 03:33 PM, WilliamVance wrote: I actually use google to make my music.
Sooooo boring! >:(

You just mightwant to rephrase that. If you catch my drift.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-01 10:15:11

END OF DISCUSSION

Ok sorry.."imo" reason is better..
but the fact is that IT IS technically (sound quality) better..you can try it by yourself!

I started with Fruty Loops..it has a cool sound..but not professional..absolutely

Biggest names of the Electronic music use Reason..
Main stream music Producers use Reason
Rock/Pop artists use Reason (in the 2007 the bands play their instruments only on live events..that's sad but true)

Only some Hip Hop artists use FL instead of Reason

Don't get angry with me..i just said what i think and it'ss.the simple opinion of an ex-user of FL
i'm just suggesting to other people what imo is the best Music software..thats all folks!

"If you want to make something, then use Reason 2.5, if you want to play around use Fruity"

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-01 16:03:34

Wow, thats total bullshit.

You must not be a true trance producer... If you don't know the huge amount of artists who exclusively use FL Studio and are professional. Beyond that, the huge amount of us who use FL Studio, are professional, but are not "out there", or "signed".

I'll write something, as a matter of fact... I have before... I'll write something with FL Studio, or on my guitar/piano. Sequence and produce it IN FL Studio... And people are like, what are you using now, Matt? And I tell them FL.

Now, with that... I have another side to me. I used REASON 2.5-3.0 as much as I've used FL Studio. And I've created amazing things with both. Neither one limited me. But, each one had an entire different output of my "sound" or "style".

Now, I ask of you to stop flaming/or intensively biasing towards your "beloved program". Go try Cubase, or Sonar, or something new. You'll produce great things if you lose that goddamn 'image' that whatever your using has its own place above others.

Again, another side. With each program, theres a learning curve. EVENTUALLY, whatever your using evolves into the same final learning curve(for lack of a better phrase).

Go on, discuss.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-02 13:42:35

Not even a question... Fruity loops is much more versatile, and at the professional level, Reason can't hold a candle to it. However, I am not saying that reason is useless... it does have it's strong points. As far as my recording process goes, I will use Fruity loops for a bulk of the music, then bring it in to Sonar, and use Reason for fx and a little bit of mixing. Granted, I use FL studio XXL with Dimension Pro (which everyone should own... it's godlike), Absinthe, MOTU symphonic, and a massive free VST library... So yes, it was a large investment of both time and money, but it pays off in spades.

Oh, and whomever it was that said that it doesn't take any music talent to use fruityloops to write a song... it doesn't take any talent to write a song in either FL or Reason... it just takes talent to make any song not suck, regardless as to how or where it was written.

So, in a disney movie-like fashion, I'd have to say that while I definetly prefer FL over Reason, they actually make quite a useful and powerful combo, each with there own skills. Kind of like Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson in Shanghai Noon, only not as stupid, or ethnic for that matter.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-02 15:22:13

Ok guys I'm bored of arguments like this now.

People say one is more versitile than the other, fair enough. One is cheaper, one may be eaisier to use but seriously, how far do we have to take it?

Just listen to tracks on the audio portal. All of them. None of them truely scream out what software they were made in (albeit for use of default patches) and the output of the program depends on the user using it.

Reason, Fruityloops, Sonar etc are barely comparable, as their methods and systems are so different, and this is good - It gives you, the users, a choice as to how you make your music. By saying that you think one program sucks is like going up to all users who operate that program saying that their music is poor. Why should people be grouped by how they produce?

The method dosn't matter. Do artists argue about whether which brand pencils are better? Not really. It's just a pencil, and you're still going to end up with a drawing.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-02 15:26:31

Khuskan.score++

Oh, sorry - wrong forum...

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-02 23:38:35

Damn straight.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-03 04:34:27

You like FL?
I like reason

use the program that you like =D
just make music

that's ok like this?

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-03 05:06:52

everyone shut up this topic is just overused...please someone close this topic

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-02-03 11:47:20

This thread is going to stay open, as a reference to the next "fl vs reason" topic turns up. so if you got anything to say about "FL vs Reason" say it, othervice say nothing. Unrelated posts = deletion and ev. ban if u suck alot >:D

no really, BBS rules...

And no backseat modding >:(

Wakka wakka

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-03-25 21:05:55

I have not tried Reason yet but I find that well, FL is kind of awkward. Its nice if you need a simple loop for something but composing a full song is irritating. But thats just me and my demos.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-02 04:59:19

There is no actual "better program".
It depends on the artist making the music. Some music made in FL can be better then Reason ones, and vice versa. It depends on how much time spent on making the music.

FL is pretty easy and user friendly. If you want better sounds, I think you have to use soundfonts.
Reason is harder in use, in my opinion. But you can make some pretty neat tracks with it.
But so can FL.
The good thing about FL is that more people will make music because it's so user-friendly.
The bad thing is, it doesn't always sound great. You need a bit of a musical feeling to make good songs.
Reason... It looks good to me, but I don't know how it works anyway..
Most people stay away from Reason because it's harder to use.
Well... so did I, anyway, so I can't tell much about Reason.
But yeah.. ParagonX9 and Zero-Bass make great music with it, that's all I can tell.
Most Reason songs I listen to are better than the FL songs.. Could be the fact I don't know any good FL artists...
So my final opinion is, that if you want to create tracks easy, use FL.
And if you are seeking to make higher quality tracks, use Reason.
I know that FL can create professional tracks too, but it's my opinion.

And yes, my music sucks. :|

I'm one of the people who doesn't have text in his signature.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-02 20:35:48

They are about the same, Reason just has more better quality sounds? and fruity loops can support vsti. I have used both and reason is probly better if u have a MIDI controller but u can do just about everything in fl so thats what i use.

Check out my newest song HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-03 02:23:45

so reason has better sounds? how so? I was already pretty impressed with the Sytrus(though other generators kinda sucked). and I use samples and soundfonts for everything else. I wish I could get better bass sounds tho. and besides with a mixer track, a lot of of effects and even more with VST. does reason have better intergretated sounds? and no midi out = fail...how am I supposed to import a digital music file if I wanted to use the track in other programs?

FL studio has done mostly what I need and more.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-05 05:59:22

What FL doesn't have that Reason has that makes my day seven times a week, is the ability to make a selection of notes and then Ctrl + Click + Drag to make a duplicate of the selection; great for making stretched beats or just plain repeating basslines etc.. FL also doesn't have a "quantize to shuffle" command binded to one button unlike Reason. Then FL's sound quality after rendering isn't exactly the greatest, it needs to be run throught a program like CoolEdit to even compare to Reason's rendered quality. Then there's the useful CTRL/ALT + Click on the sequencer to set the loop points (which FL also doesn't have) where FL has a messed up double click method.

Oh, and Reason Combinator = Synths + LSD ==> FL Owned.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-05 06:24:12

At 5/5/07 05:59 AM, Erectronik wrote: What FL doesn't have that Reason has that makes my day seven times a week, is the ability to make a selection of notes and then Ctrl + Click + Drag to make a duplicate of the selection; great for making stretched beats or just plain repeating basslines etc..

Dude, it has.

FL also doesn't have a "quantize to shuffle" command binded to one button unlike Reason.

It may take longer, but instead of Reason, you can choose the amount of shuffle you want to apply.

Then FL's sound quality after rendering isn't exactly the greatest, it needs to be run throught a program like CoolEdit to even compare to Reason's rendered quality.

I agree with you on the fact, that the application alone, isn't that great sounding as the nice synths of Reason, but combined with VST's you can do that much more with it.

Then there's the useful CTRL/ALT + Click on the sequencer to set the loop points (which FL also doesn't have) where FL has a messed up double click method.

I don't know which one is faster, rightclick on the timeline, or ctrl/alt click. How do you mean messed up? I don't get it.

Oh, and Reason Combinator = Synths + LSD ==> FL Owned.

Dude, I don't get your point. I noez dat the Reason Combinator is swell as fux, and I know the Combinator owns a lot of FL studio's aspects, but Synths + LSD?
Explain.

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-05 07:42:51

At 5/5/07 06:24 AM, MackerelSalad wrote: Dude, I don't get your point. I noez dat the Reason Combinator is swell as fux, and I know the Combinator owns a lot of FL studio's aspects, but Synths + LSD?
Explain.

LSD is like THE only drug without any negative side effects that I can think of. It is also one of the most powerful hallucinogens known to man. Having that being said, give some synths some LSD, it's like you can see the pumpkin man chasing you at night and other crazy shit like that.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-05-05 09:50:59

Guitar pro 5! =D