00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kawishinto just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Reason Vs FL

5,405 Views | 68 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 06:37:55

(Sorry if this has been posted before)

I have been trying to learn reason here lately (even though I cant use it yet because i need a MIDI to USB interface) and it seems like a promising program - from what i can tell so far

but as I ask some of the top artists around here many of them just use Fruity Loops ... so now I'm torn between the two. I mean I guess it all depends on the artist and his/her skills but I'm curious the pros and cons between the two.

thanks!

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 07:03:26

Both can give professional results, one disadvantage of reason is that it doesn't support VST's, but FL does. A lot of people on this site give FL crap and praise reason, but I've heard it the other way around loads of times. The best advice would probably be downloading a demo of both, and try them out for yourself, that way you can decide wich interface you think is the best and suits your capabilities.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 08:29:40

Well fruity loops supports MIDI and the VST
VST's are very helpful and you can ussally find lots of free ones on the web if you look in the right places. In FL studio if you dont have a MIDI piano you can use you pc keyboard but its really lame and [this doesnt apply to everyone else] my keyboard lags by 2-3 seconds.
Ive never used reason so i cant really argue.

GOOD LUCK

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 09:59:04

Fruity Loops does not neccessarily require any musical skill whatsoever to make a song. Nor does it require any instruments or knowledge of any instruments or knowledge in general. Fruity Loops is the chicken stir fry of music programs.

I have no idea about Reason.

Hi there my name is not Bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 10:24:16

what exactly is a VST? (sorry im a reason user obviously haha)

the whole lag between midi keyboard and pc wont effect me, I have sensors on mine that adjust the lag - unless my pc is being slow that day and needs a reboot

i just like the setup of 'racks' with reason how you can rewire them however you want, FL you have what you get, thats it right?

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 10:37:26

VST's are digital synthesizers, check wikipedia here to learn more about it if you want.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 11:14:28

At 1/30/07 09:59 AM, curriemaster wrote: Fruity Loops does not neccessarily require any musical skill whatsoever to make a song. Nor does it require any instruments or knowledge of any instruments or knowledge in general. Fruity Loops is the chicken stir fry of music programs.

I have no idea about Reason.

you're right, which is why I cling to it so hard. It allows me to get my ideas out while I study to make myself better theory wise.

Fruity Loops has the easiest learning curve to use, i'm STILL learning something about it nearly every day so somebody on the forum who claimed they got bored of it, probably never tried to learn it's small things tucked in corners.

As stated FL also allows for VST's, though to be fair, Reason DOES have it's Refills, simply not in great supply in my opinion. You can treat Reason like Macintosh, it's stable, it's great, but it's limited with software, at least when compared to the number of VST's out there.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 12:36:27

At 1/30/07 11:14 AM, MaestroRage wrote: As stated FL also allows for VST's, though to be fair, Reason DOES have it's Refills, simply not in great supply in my opinion. You can treat Reason like Macintosh, it's stable, it's great, but it's limited with software, at least when compared to the number of VST's out there.

Well put Maestro... Well put.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 14:10:42

I use Reason 3.0 and find it a very rewarding program. I'm learning all the time about how to push it and it's never let me down.
I can't honestly say i'm a fan of fruity loops, but it's still a good program, especially when starting out.
Generally it's all down to your personal preference, quite simply, try both see which one you prefer:)
I also run Sony's ACID alongside reason (just for its sheer genius when it comes to chopping up samples, I do all my glitching in acid, and support of VST's)

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 14:35:23

At 1/30/07 09:50 AM, B0UNC3 wrote: I love teh fruit logo on fruity lewps?!?!

Is it even a fruit? It looks like an orange pepper to me.

Newest song: Dinosaur Alien

Reviews/comments appreciated!

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 15:15:44

At 1/30/07 07:03 AM, Zodiak7 wrote:

The best advice would probably be downloading a demo of both, and try them out for yourself, that way you can decide wich interface you think is the best and suits your capabilities.

Where can we download them?

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 15:31:23

reason demo is available at propellerheads.se

Wakka wakka

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 15:31:51

At 1/30/07 03:15 PM, zef7 wrote: Where can we download them?

Have you ever tried typing "fruity loops" or "reason" into www.google.com? Reason Demo and FL Demo IF you can find them on that page, they're very well hidden.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 15:39:04

Thanks for both of you!

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 16:14:23

In Reason there's no need of an instrument...u can put the notes ni the MATRIX MODULE pluuging in to the the NN-19 Sampler or the Subtractor or whatever...

i have heard proffesional stuff's in Reason and in Fruity loop as well..

;)

Speed Beast 2 ! <-- If you have a listen..leave a review.

PFTBD's AUDIO

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 16:28:19

Fruity Loops is a neat program to play around with but Reason seems more promising.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 17:02:17

Well, in my opinion reason is better. But thats just my preference. You should try them both out. But if its your first time running a music proggy you will almost immediately go to FL, because FL has a 'easy for noobs' setup. But in the end if you try it long enough you might find that reason is better for you.

The names Food, WillPostForFood.

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 17:04:12

The never ending story... FL vs Reason...
We compared Cubase vs Pro Tools in school ^^

Wakka wakka

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 17:04:40

At 1/30/07 05:04 PM, Rucklo wrote: The never ending story... FL vs Reason...

Cubase ftw.

The names Food, WillPostForFood.

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 17:08:55

At 1/30/07 05:04 PM, WillPostForFood wrote:
At 1/30/07 05:04 PM, Rucklo wrote: The never ending story... FL vs Reason...
Cubase ftw.

pro´s n con´s with both of course... what makes me preffer cubase is the fact that im not locked down to specific hardware (PT requires digisoft´s own soundcards, and some m-audio cards are compatible). Other then that, theyre very much alike...

Wakka wakka

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 19:40:38

At 1/30/07 02:35 PM, Anth0n wrote:
At 1/30/07 09:50 AM, B0UNC3 wrote: I love teh fruit logo on fruity lewps?!?!
Is it even a fruit? It looks like an orange pepper to me.

technically a pepper is a fruit, anything with seeds INSIDE like a tomato or cucumber is technically a fruit.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 19:43:09

so basically it all depends on the user.. FL allows use of VSTs (even though reason already has synths in it?) but also offers an easy to use 'noob friendly' interface and learning curve while on the other hand Reason offers the customization and power for a more advanced user...right?

so in theory I should switch to fruity loops until I get the hang of music theory and design etc before i switch back to reason?

also, can you input a MIDI device such as a controller/keyboard in FL?

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 21:03:31

Well if you already have Reason you should probably stick with that and learn how it works. While FL is easy to run the first time you start it up both programs will require learning each feature and how it works. As for vsts, both already have synths and Reason has refills so you can expand both programs.

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-30 21:39:49

i do like how easy FL is though, its a good start if you know absolutely nothing about remixing.. although i cant figure out how to load the vocoder

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 00:57:09

F*CK THIS!!

REASON RULES

YEAHHH!!! \m/ !!!!

=P

jk

PFTBD's AUDIO

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 01:15:05

At 1/30/07 09:59 AM, curriemaster wrote: Fruity Loops does not neccessarily require any musical skill whatsoever to make a song.

The reason I chose Reason.

Lol, reason i chose reason, lol, word said twice joke, lol.

I love using Reason 3.0. Soon they might come up with a new version, but hopfully not too soon, lol. Reason is more professional that FL, since FL takes nothing to make music.
Ive never hearn of any major music producers that use it. But Reason has been chosen by many great producers. (Including those on NG ^_^)

I choose Reason becuase I actuall want to work for my music to become good, I dont want some program to do it for me.

MUSIC FROM SCRATCH = GREATNESS!!

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 01:17:51

YEAH like PRODIGY and the VODOO PPL BASS made in the SUBTRACTOR MODULE of REASON 1.0

Reason Rule you!

PFTBD's AUDIO

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 01:28:22

but reason does so, its the digital age.

you know what was really cool, recording cassette tapes, warping the tape and running it through a circuit which would give it the effects you know and love, that was scratch

but reason has the phattest bass out there

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 01:29:55

At 1/31/07 01:15 AM, Wavedude wrote:
At 1/30/07 09:59 AM, curriemaster wrote: Fruity Loops does not neccessarily require any musical skill whatsoever to make a song.
The reason I chose Reason.
Lol, reason i chose reason, lol, word said twice joke, lol.
I love using Reason 3.0. Soon they might come up with a new version, but hopfully not too soon, lol. Reason is more professional that FL, since FL takes nothing to make music.

Actually it does. As much so as Reason, it's just that Reason makes better/more use of midi.

Anyone whom has a greater musical knowledge will be able to make some excellent tunage with Fruity Loops, Reason is more professional? in what sense?

Ive never hearn of any major music producers that use it. But Reason has been chosen by many great producers. (Including those on NG ^_^)

Gorilaz use Fruity Loops for one, and a number of IDM artists use it too, i had a list of many artists that use it, but I can't find the link to that right now, not that it should make any difference, at the end of the day it's really down to personal preference, some people will be fan boys of Reason, others will be fan boys of FL it doesn't make one any better than the other.

From what I can see about reason, FL kicks major ass in the VSTi's department, Reason seems somewhat limited in comparison

I choose Reason becuase I actuall want to work for my music to become good, I dont want some program to do it for me.

FL Does it for you, does it? hardly, you still need to have a level of competence to run either FL or Reason and from what I can tell you've never used FL so it's a bit unfair for you to make an assumption like that

MUSIC FROM SCRATCH = GREATNESS!!

AND CAN BE DONE WITH FRUITY LOOPS TOO = AWESOMENESS!!!

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Reason Vs FL 2007-01-31 01:31:16

At 1/31/07 01:28 AM, pr0de wrote:
you know what was really cool, recording cassette tapes, warping the tape and running it through a circuit which would give it the effects you know and love, that was scratch

I always wondered how they did that, lol.