00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why do americans like musicals?

4,111 Views | 41 Replies

Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:32:00

It's funny but a few years back, my dad pointed out that Americans love cheesy musicals... Especially those where the actors are in the middle of something and they just start singing out of nowhere.

Americans love(d): Marry Poppins, Sound of Music, Happy Feet.

Personally, there is NOTHING I HATE more than watching a movie, and it's starting to get interesting and they just ll break into song. I'm just like OMFG, can't just just fucking hurry up and finish that stupid song I want to see what HAPPENS next!

... When they're singing NOTHING happens, they just move around and smile occasionally. I mean, I didn't pay to watch a crappy video clip. I want to see a movie!!!

Anyway. Discuss.

Bla

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:32:37

At 1/26/07 07:32 PM, LolOutLoud wrote: It's funny but a few years back, my dad pointed out that Americans love cheesy musicals...

We don't. People who are obsessed with Hollywood shit are.

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:33:54

OH... And yeah, I used to love "Fairly Odd Parents..." until they cheesed it up with musicals.

Bla

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:35:33

Greece is the only musical I liked.

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:36:10

At 1/26/07 07:32 PM, CrimsonEdge wrote:
At 1/26/07 07:32 PM, LolOutLoud wrote: It's funny but a few years back, my dad pointed out that Americans love cheesy musicals...
We don't. People who are obsessed with Hollywood shit are.

It's probably just the Jewish then.
I heard Hollywood is packed with them.
That's probably why Mel Gibson is having such a hard time being an actor again.

Bla

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:36:29

Those fucking Americans are always stereotyping people because of the nation they live in.

My dad told me!

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:36:53

Im american and I hate musicals. That is a racist sterotype and I am very offended.
No seriously I don't really like them they have very little plot and just a lot of very bad singing.

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:37:06

At 1/26/07 07:35 PM, blanblan wrote: Greece is the only musical I liked.

*Grease

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:41:19

At 1/26/07 07:36 PM, Funkchiken wrote: Those fucking Americans are always stereotyping people because of the nation they live in.

My dad told me!

My mommy told me that Americans are the axis of evil.

LOL JK

Bla

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:42:13

I hate them

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 19:57:32

i personally hate musicals. there is absolutly no point to randomly break into song and dance.

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 20:26:10

What are you talking about?
Musicals have been dead and buried for three decades
:o

At least in movies. Last bastards to do them constantly were Disney. Every year, the Disney movie would have some songs. SONGS THAT RULED.

But it was so awkward. Frickin' Disney stuck in the 50s forever.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 20:28:05

I love musicals... and I'm not a fag. Weird huh? My favourite is Happiness of the Katakuri's, which is like a zombie musical set at the foot of a volcano. I like musicals, because to me music is the core root of emotion, when a character bursts out into to song, it's pure emotion, its exspressionism beyond dialogue.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 20:30:27

Moulin Rouge was a very good movie. I dare you to say otherwise.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 20:35:19

Americans haven't made musicals consistentally for years. You can't use three movies that were made decades apart as an argument for saying Americans must love musicals.

If you're going to generalise the film industry of an entire country you could at least go with India. Bollywood is the one that churns out about a billion musicals every year.

"Some kilometers SOUTH of Dublin, under more control of

the IRA, there is a vast farmland. I'm SUPER cereal"

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 20:36:56

At 1/26/07 07:32 PM, LolOutLoud wrote: Personally, there is NOTHING I HATE more than watching a movie, and it's starting to get interesting and they just ll break into song.

That makes a movie funny, like in Clerks2.

Whoop Whoop

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 20:37:58

At 1/26/07 07:32 PM, TomPhulp wrote: Because Americans are band geeks.

I disagree i fucking hate musicals.

wooooooooooooo

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 23:48:56

i am american

and hate musicals you steriotypst

This is my signature

Evil-Omlete

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 23:49:42

Musicals suck.

what

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 23:51:23

We all love cheesy musicals silly, it's what brings different religions, races, and colors together, just to sing some really cheesy songs

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 23:51:31

Woah woah woah, have you ever seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show? One of my favorite movies ever. You can't just categorize all musicals as bad. Disney musicals are the sucks, but there ARE good ones.

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 23:52:53

I can't stand musicals. Except for things like "O Brother Where Art Thou" if that can be considerred a musical. It's sort of driven by music, but not in a bullshit Fiddler on the Roof or Mary Poppins way.

Fancy Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-26 23:54:04

At 1/26/07 07:32 PM, LolOutLoud wrote: Americans love(d): Marry Poppins, Sound of Music, Happy Feet.

I don't.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 00:00:58

I completly agree with you, thread starter. I think that musicals' main things are the songs, but now every disney/pixar/childrens' movie has a unnecessary singing part that makes you turn the volume down so when your parents come by your room while watching it you don't blush in horrid embarassment or suffer the "what the fuck 0_o" look from them.

And I think it's just merely a result of the director saying "Screw it, let's mash 20 minutes of the movie into a 3 minute song scene >:3".

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 00:37:07

I am an American, and I don't like musicals.

Dingo fucker!

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 00:39:16

HAY ITS ME LOLOUTLOUD AGAIN AND I CANT TLE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STEREOTYPE AND A PEOPLE LOL.

Seriously, is it that hard to grasp that a nation has more than one type of person in it? There are plenty of Americans who hate musicals as well. You might as well say "WHY DO ALL BLACK PEOPLE LIKE THE RAP MUSIC LOL" and I would point you to a picture of Señor Cosby.

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 00:41:08

At 1/26/07 11:51 PM, CaptainPeepers wrote: Woah woah woah, have you ever seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

That's different, it was a comedy/musical. But yes, this is a stupid steriotype.

Metal Hell.

Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 00:52:38

At 1/27/07 12:48 AM, cellardoor6 wrote:
You're a moron.

How would you like it if I said.

"its funny but a few years back my dad told me that all Australians:

1 Have bad teeth
2 Smell bad
3 Use bushes instead of toilettes
4 Fuck kangaroos
5 Hunt the Aboriginese people for fun
6 Ride around on make-shift fortresses on the highway and slay eachother with crossbows like in the movie "Mad Max"
7 Eat mostly snake meat
8 Make their own clothes out of the hides of wallabies and crocodiles"

I think we pointed this out in the "I hate the American mindset" topic in Politics but I guess bigots don't listen to reason.

eh, that was a bit harsh. I love you all! :D

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 01:07:30

Musicals suck ass, its embarrassing how they randomly jump into song and dance for no reason.

This thread is made of WIN.

(clever laughable phrase)

BBS Signature

Response to Why do americans like musicals? 2007-01-27 01:19:32

I think it would be funny if they just started singing out of nowhere, but usually they give you some sort of sign that they are going into song. That is what experience tells me. Or else the song explains something or is just fun I guess. There are some songs that make no sense, but they are still in there.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.