New Topic Respond to this Topic
Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-12 15:14:36 Reply

At 3/11/07 11:50 AM, Odyssic wrote: If this idea has been done before, sorry.

Past user of the day?
Like NG?

Meh, why not. I'll be up in a few minutes...

At 3/12/07 02:30 AM, Sterockicy wrote: Thanks, I am really glad you added it. Its a great but also very simple idea and I am sure many MANY people will find it helpful. I know I did. Also, The newish looking layout you did looks great too.

Yeah, it's as you say: nice and easy. More ideas like this, please! =D

Sorry, Just after I posted I went on the site and saw it. It was just a little hard to spot when looking at that section. Is it possible for you to make it either Bold or outside of the brackets?

Hmmm, I just rephrased the sentence, but I think it's clear enough as it is...

Good point my friend. I am also one of those people who never finishes what I start. I dont blame you for not finishing this idea. I can understand why you didnt bother.

Thanks dude! Not finishing what you start is one of my greatest qualities! *COUGHCOUGHCOUGH* I wish I finished more of the things I started... Are you lucky I finished NG Log =P

Odyssic
Odyssic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-12 15:25:56 Reply

At 3/12/07 03:14 PM, Casualty wrote: Meh, why not. I'll be up in a few minutes...

Its up now.

DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-12 22:02:54 Reply

This is really no big deal for me but maybe for other users who are very lazy...

Ok if you know for when you log in it says "Remember" well for some reason it never remembers for me? Oh and this one time it was really funny. I know Casualty did this on purpose but once Casualty's name popped up in the word box to write your name to log in.. It made me lol a lot. Anyways i just wanted to let you know if you didn't already Casualty.

Need advice? Visit the RELATIONSHIP CREW!

BBS Signature
Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-12 22:17:17 Reply

At 3/12/07 03:14 PM, Casualty wrote:
At 3/12/07 02:30 AM, Sterockicy wrote: Thanks, I am really glad you added it. Its a great but also very simple idea and I am sure many MANY people will find it helpful. I know I did. Also, The newish looking layout you did looks great too.
Yeah, it's as you say: nice and easy. More ideas like this, please! =D

More ideas you say! Ok well I have one sort of good one. Is it possible for you to add onto the achievements area or make a new achievements area that tells you if you have moved up a few spots on the Rankings list? I know it would absolutely huge and you would have atleat like 20 new achievement everytime you logged on but I think it would be cool to have a section like that. At the moment I have to look through all the the ranking sheets to see how I am going and if I have passed anyone I know.

HEY! That brought up an even better idea.

Is it possible to have a section where you can type in your friends names and it will do calculations on things like:

Your b/p points today:
Their b/p points today:

You have made (16) more points than (Alias) today!

Or something like that! You could of course add onto that etc.

I am not sure if that is a really good idea or not. Tell me what you think!

Sorry, Just after I posted I went on the site and saw it. It was just a little hard to spot when looking at that section. Is it possible for you to make it either Bold or outside of the brackets?
Hmmm, I just rephrased the sentence, but I think it's clear enough as it is...

Thats heaps better. Thanks!

Good point my friend. I am also one of those people who never finishes what I start. I dont blame you for not finishing this idea. I can understand why you didnt bother.
Thanks dude! Not finishing what you start is one of my greatest qualities! *COUGHCOUGHCOUGH* I wish I finished more of the things I started... Are you lucky I finished NG Log =P

Really! ME TOO! I am quite surprised you did finish NG log and you still update it. Kudos to you!

Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-13 13:21:14 Reply

At 3/12/07 10:02 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: This is really no big deal for me but maybe for other users who are very lazy...

Ok if you know for when you log in it says "Remember" well for some reason it never remembers for me? Oh and this one time it was really funny. I know Casualty did this on purpose but once Casualty's name popped up in the word box to write your name to log in.. It made me lol a lot. Anyways i just wanted to let you know if you didn't already Casualty.

You should try to log in with any name without checking Remember, and then do it with remember and your name.

Also, RupeeClock warned me about the system not working. It was obvious it wouldn't work, because I accidentally set the cookie validity period to one hour. It's changed now, and it'll last until 11 years after your login =P To delete it, just log in without remember checked...

At 3/12/07 10:17 PM, Sterockicy wrote: More ideas you say! Ok well I have one sort of good one. Is it possible for you to add onto the achievements area or make a new achievements area that tells you if you have moved up a few spots on the Rankings list? I know it would absolutely huge and you would have atleat like 20 new achievement everytime you logged on but I think it would be cool to have a section like that. At the moment I have to look through all the the ranking sheets to see how I am going and if I have passed anyone I know.

Actually I'd have to make a system which goes kinda like this:

-If you're in the top 1,000,000: Only when you move up x*10,000 places.
-If you're in the top 10,000: Only when you move up x*1,000 places.
-If you're in the top 1,000: Only when you move up x*100 places.
-If you're in the top 100: Only when you move up x*10 places.

So that you wouldn't get achievement messages every day if you're a bit low in ranking =P

Buuut I don't have time for that today, neither do I have tomorrow. So it'll probably be Thursday, or maybe Saturday. But probably Thursday!

HEY! That brought up an even better idea.

Is it possible to have a section where you can type in your friends names and it will do calculations on things like:
I am not sure if that is a really good idea or not. Tell me what you think!

Hmmmm... I dunno, but that'd be a bit too much, it's just another page. Plus, to be precise, you and your friend would have to log stats every day... I dunno man, I just don't think it's that great...

Thats heaps better. Thanks!

No problem dude!

Really! ME TOO! I am quite surprised you did finish NG log and you still update it. Kudos to you!

Thanks man!

Hybrid-Of-Souls
Hybrid-Of-Souls
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Game Developer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-13 15:26:26 Reply

Since the username lockdown happened near the start of the month, there's really no more need for that 'click here if you've changed your username' button. Getting rid of that would be convenient.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43
Steam ID
Join the party | V NG Archive V |

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-14 10:04:39 Reply

At 3/13/07 03:26 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: Since the username lockdown happened near the start of the month, there's really no more need for that 'click here if you've changed your username' button. Getting rid of that would be convenient.

Why, thanks for reminding me! I'll get rid of it right away!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-14 10:23:44 Reply

At 3/14/07 10:04 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 3/13/07 03:26 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: Since the username lockdown happened near the start of the month, there's really no more need for that 'click here if you've changed your username' button. Getting rid of that would be convenient.
Why, thanks for reminding me! I'll get rid of it right away!

no, there are many users who still have their old name on the site so you should really have it there >:(

Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-15 12:22:57 Reply

At 3/14/07 10:23 AM, SBB wrote:
At 3/14/07 10:04 AM, Casualty wrote: Why, thanks for reminding me! I'll get rid of it right away!
no, there are many users who still have their old name on the site so you should really have it there >:(

If they didn't log their stats since March first, they are not worthy using NG Log >:C

Also, the database is down, and I don't know for how long. I'll start working on the "rank achievements" as soon as it's back up (which should be very soon).

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-16 18:15:20 Reply

Best amount of reviews in one day. Hows that?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-17 23:26:26 Reply

Casualty is god

That is a hell of an addition to the site. Overall I like the quotes on the top. I saw somewhere a while back you posted something about a downloadable program that could let you log on NGLOG from your desktop. I was just wondering if you scraped or if you didn't what the timeframe was for it coming out.

Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-17 23:33:07 Reply

At 3/17/07 11:26 PM, head2toewinner wrote:
I saw somewhere a while back you posted something about a downloadable program that could let you log on NGLOG from your desktop. I was just wondering if you scraped or if you didn't what the timeframe was for it coming out.

I already asked him that same question on the previous page.

QUOTE!

At 3/10/07 05:28 AM, Casualty wrote:
Also, How is that program you were making going?

I'm kinda leaving it how it is. I mean, what's the use... Going to the site isn't THAT much more than pressing some button on your system tray... But thanks for asking!

There is your answer.

:-)

Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 03:49:11 Reply

At 3/16/07 06:15 PM, wegra2007 wrote: Best amount of reviews in one day. Hows that?

Hmmm, I suppose I'd have to make a whole page full of best this 'n that in one day or I a certain time span... That's a lot of work, but I'll see if I can make a simple version of this next week...

At 3/17/07 11:33 PM, Sterockicy wrote: There is your answer.

-)

Hahaha thanks for answering the questions for me man!

Also, thanks head2toe for your comments =)

schneelocke
schneelocke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 11:26:01 Reply

Two suggestions:

On the index page (http://nglog.denvish.net/index.php), there's a line that says "You are logged is as $username." with a "Get Stats" button underneath; the username should be a link to the person's profile page.

Also, how about a "Least deposits missed" and "most deposits missed" ranking? :) I know it wouldn't always be exact, especially for older users, but it'd still be fun.

Það er margt sem myrkrið veit / minn er hugur þungur
Oft ég svarta sandinn leit / svíða grænan engireit
Í jöklinum hljóða dauðadjúpar sprungur

head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 13:45:51 Reply

Sorry about that repeat question. I haven't been very active in the Wi/Ht forum lately so I didn't really read this whole thread. The only reason I even knew about that program was becuase you mentioned it in the Level Up Lounge and I saw it while I was writing that massive congrats list.

Shanus
Shanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 16:20:31 Reply

Casualty, I'd justlike to say the new program is just what I was lookin for. Now I can be elsewhere on the internet and still know bout new submissions, very cool

Look forward to more of your little programs :D

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge || Elite Guard Barracks || Review Request Club || NGLog

I watch an unholy amount of films

BBS Signature
Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 21:32:18 Reply

At 3/18/07 04:20 PM, Shanus wrote: Casualty, I'd justlike to say the new program is just what I was lookin for. Now I can be elsewhere on the internet and still know bout new submissions, very cool

I noticed that on the NG log site just before. I cant download it thought because I am at school. THIS IS TORTURE!

Thanks for making a great program Casualty even though I havent seen it yet! :-)

BBS Signature
DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 22:19:47 Reply

At 3/18/07 04:20 PM, Shanus wrote: Casualty, I'd justlike to say the new program is just what I was lookin for. Now I can be elsewhere on the internet and still know bout new submissions, very cool

It doesn't work for me? I downloaded it perfectly i think and when i open portal guard i get this error telling me that the program is locked and abandoned and then it closes automatically. Tell me what you guys did.

BBS Signature
head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 22:32:30 Reply

Casualty that was a good program. You have some serious skill. One problem though. Every once in a while it pops up with an error message that says "this project has been discontinued and is now locked" or something like that. After that I hit ok or whatever, the program closes, and I reopen it and it is working fine. Any ideas? And is the NGLOG site down right now becuase I can't seem to log in.

DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 22:41:27 Reply

At 3/18/07 10:32 PM, head2toewinner wrote: And is the NGLOG site down right now becuase I can't seem to log in.

Huh? Works fine for me now. I did get all these codes before but now it works.

BBS Signature
head2toewinner
head2toewinner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-18 23:20:30 Reply

Yeah i just retried about 2 minutes after I posted that and now it is working fine. I am gonna go log one more time and then I am going to bed. Even though I don't have school tomorrow I do have a full ass day. Hopefully i'll get on here.

Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-19 14:16:03 Reply

At 3/18/07 11:26 AM, schneelocke wrote: Two suggestions:

On the index page (http://nglog.denvish.net/index.php), there's a line that says "You are logged is as $username." with a "Get Stats" button underneath; the username should be a link to the person's profile page.

Good idea, I made the username a link to the browse page, and added a profile link.

Also, how about a "Least deposits missed" and "most deposits missed" ranking? :) I know it wouldn't always be exact, especially for older users, but it'd still be fun.

That's a great idea! But I'm having problems with that right now, and I don't know why. I'll try again this weekend, when I have more time.

Hahaha, if you have any ideas for programs, post them here!

At 3/18/07 10:19 PM, DarkSoldier wrote:

It doesn't work for me? I downloaded it perfectly i think and when i open portal guard i get this error telling me that the program is locked and abandoned and then it closes automatically. Tell me what you guys did.

The problem is, I use an approval file on the NG Log server to secure the program. So if the NG Log server is down, the program can't read the file and it thinks the access has been locked...

At 3/18/07 10:32 PM, head2toewinner wrote: Casualty that was a good program. You have some serious skill. One problem though. Every once in a while it pops up with an error message that says "this project has been discontinued and is now locked" or something like that. After that I hit ok or whatever, the program closes, and I reopen it and it is working fine. Any ideas? And is the NGLOG site down right now becuase I can't seem to log in.

As I said to DarkSoldier, the program won't start if NG Log is down too. Thanks for the comments!

DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-19 17:13:11 Reply

At 3/19/07 02:16 PM, Casualty wrote:

The problem is, I use an approval file on the NG Log server to secure the program. So if the NG Log server is down, the program can't read the file and it thinks the access has been locked...

So when will NG's log be on again and so only when NG's log is running fine is when i can use portal guard?

BBS Signature
schneelocke
schneelocke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-19 17:49:25 Reply

At 3/19/07 02:16 PM, Casualty wrote: Good idea, I made the username a link to the browse page, and added a profile link.

Yay. :)

That's a great idea! But I'm having problems with that right now, and I don't know why. I'll try again this weekend, when I have more time.

Glad you like it - I'll be looking forward to it! ^_^

Það er margt sem myrkrið veit / minn er hugur þungur
Oft ég svarta sandinn leit / svíða grænan engireit
Í jöklinum hljóða dauðadjúpar sprungur

Shanus
Shanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-20 11:39:52 Reply

At 3/19/07 02:16 PM, Casualty wrote:

Hahaha, if you have any ideas for programs, post them here!

Well, if you combined the portal guard program with some thing that could track the users stats, that would be cool. but you'd have to balance it with nglog.

Or you could make a simple stat calculator for all stats, making it easier for users to make quick calculations etc

that all probably sounds like ramblings but I'll get back to you if I think of anything really good

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge || Elite Guard Barracks || Review Request Club || NGLog

I watch an unholy amount of films

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-20 14:19:11 Reply

At 3/20/07 11:39 AM, Shanus wrote: Well, if you combined the portal guard program with some thing that could track the users stats, that would be cool. but you'd have to balance it with nglog.

I'd prefer to keep both project separated. I mean, I don't want a program with 10,000 features running at once and raping your computer, you know.

Or you could make a simple stat calculator for all stats, making it easier for users to make quick calculations etc

Or people could use NG Log =P

that all probably sounds like ramblings but I'll get back to you if I think of anything really good

Yeah, do that!

At 3/19/07 05:13 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: So when will NG's log be on again and so only when NG's log is running fine is when i can use portal guard?

I don't know why NG Log was down, and yeah, you can only START the program while NG Log is fine. But that's not too bad, is it. Well, you're going to have to live with it.

DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-20 20:04:26 Reply

At 3/20/07 02:19 PM, Casualty wrote: At 3/19/07 05:13 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: So when will NG's log be on again and so only when NG's log is running fine is when i can use portal guard?
I don't know why NG Log was down, and yeah, you can only START the program while NG Log is fine. But that's not too bad, is it. Well, you're going to have to live with it.

Ehh.. it still doesn't work for me? Do i need some special browser or something to make it work? I can't stop getting that "locked" sign pop-up twice?

BBS Signature
DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-20 20:18:49 Reply

At 3/20/07 08:04 PM, DarkSoldier wrote:
Ehh.. it still doesn't work for me? Do i need some special browser or something to make it work? I can't stop getting that "locked" sign pop-up twice?

Here's a picture of it.

BBS Signature
Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-21 02:57:39 Reply

At 3/20/07 08:18 PM, DarkSoldier wrote:
Here's a picture of it.

That does the same thing to me occasionally when I first open it. Just open it up again and it should be fine. It works for me anyway.

IDEA

I am not sure if this would be a hassel for you or not.

With the NG portal guard, Is it possible for you to change it so that it has a link to the NG portal somewhere?

Because the whole purpose of it is to check up to see if there are any new submissions when you are not on NG itself. If there is a new submission you have to open up expoler or firefox (I love firefox) and then type in www.newgrounds.com/portal. It would be so much easier if there was a link to either the portal or even better the submissions page. Is this possible?

Tell me what you think!

BBS Signature
DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-21 16:44:58 Reply

At 3/21/07 02:57 AM, Sterockicy wrote:
At 3/20/07 08:18 PM, DarkSoldier wrote:
Here's a picture of it.
That does the same thing to me occasionally when I first open it. Just open it up again and it should be fine. It works for me anyway.

I been doing like over a million times and i still get the same thing. Thanks for trying to help!

BBS Signature