Be a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

  • 71,460 Views
  • 1,554 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-26 12:49:30 Reply

At 2/25/07 08:38 AM, juraj wrote:
At 2/23/07 11:19 AM, Casualty wrote: To do so I would need a cronjob to be set up... I'll ask Denvish about this when I have time. Not a bad idea, I think it could work...
Huh? No need for a cronjob. If the user opens up the page and there's no user of the day selected, select him and store today's date with it. All other hits that day, the script will check for today's user of day and display him/her.

Hey, you're right! I did it that way, but I don't know if it works yet... We'll see tomorrow!

At 2/25/07 10:07 AM, SBB wrote: Stats over a certain period- as in entering a start and an end date and get the stats you've got these days

I might add that some time this week, because I'm tired now =P It's been suggested a few times, so I should get off my lazy ass and do it!

At 2/25/07 01:39 PM, HomerDough wrote: Just wanted to point something weird on NG log; There are 666 users with the normal whistle. Just wanted to point that out. Pretty weird though.

Oh noes! Teh number of the beast!!

At 2/25/07 01:51 PM, periodPops wrote: This is kind of useless but, how about the time it would take to reach each b/p levels if you were to get every b/p that came through.

That's not really a bad idea, but I can't see how many B/P you COULD get every day. Of course, I could set up an average or something, but you won't get every B/P point anyway.

At 2/26/07 08:30 AM, juraj wrote:
At 2/26/07 03:17 AM, HypnoticMudpie wrote: There must be a glitch or something right now, since I can't login. I just get these stuff:
Eveything works fine here.

Yeah, everything seems to be running fine... Probably a temporary maintenance or something.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-26 14:53:21 Reply

Hey, you're right! I did it that way, but I don't know if it works yet... We'll see tomorrow!

Yes it works totally fine.

also >:C

NG Log Ideas

juraj
juraj
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-27 16:21:36 Reply

Do we get notified if we're UOTD?

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-28 08:12:50 Reply

At 2/27/07 04:21 PM, juraj wrote: Do we get notified if we're UOTD?

Nope, and I hope that's a motivation to visit the site very day ;)

juraj
juraj
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-28 14:06:34 Reply

At 2/28/07 08:12 AM, Casualty wrote: Nope, and I hope that's a motivation to visit the site very day ;)

Don't make me set up another cron. :-)

Shanus
Shanus
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-28 23:16:59 Reply

May have been suggested all ready but as you've got total flash review responses, it would be good to have total audio review responses, there is nowhere you can get this info with out lookin through the reviews.

That's the only improvement I can think of

And lamb of god do rule, yes

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge || Elite Guard Barracks || Review Request Club || NGLog

I watch an unholy amount of films

BBS Signature
PenguinLink
PenguinLink
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-02-28 23:39:25 Reply

At 2/24/07 04:52 AM, Casualty wrote:
Hahaha, I added some random message in the header! If you have ideas for those, post them too!

Here are some recommendations. :)

-Stop refreshing this page!
-Why are you a stat whore?
-I am hungry, feed me stats!
-Please wipe your feet first before logging in.
-If you give me a cookie, I'll give you you're stats.
-Why are you reading this?
-One statwhore, two statwhores, three statwhores...
-Read this random message. Ha, you did!
-Why hello there, stat whore.
-Keep on stat whorin'!
-Stat whores are my #1 priority!
-1 Dollar per visit! Ha, kidding!
-Stat whores are Pimps.
-Casualy is my god.

Well, those are some ideas. I'm sure I'll come up with more in the near future, that is, if you don't have a problem with me posting them. I hope I was somewhat helpful. :)

juraj
juraj
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-02 15:24:14 Reply

I I think you should get a more reliable DB host :-)

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-02 15:52:04 Reply

audio review responses would be damn helpful since you can't keep track of them at NG :)

juraj
juraj
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-04 03:53:18 Reply

What about those broken UOTD images? Every day I open the NG log front page I see a broken pic in UOTD's corner.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-04 06:04:03 Reply

Showing profile pics of all users on their stat page.

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-04 09:59:46 Reply

At 2/28/07 02:06 PM, juraj wrote:
At 2/28/07 08:12 AM, Casualty wrote: Nope, and I hope that's a motivation to visit the site very day ;)
Don't make me set up another cron. :-)

Maybe you should =P

At 2/28/07 11:16 PM, Shanus wrote: May have been suggested all ready but as you've got total flash review responses, it would be good to have total audio review responses, there is nowhere you can get this info with out lookin through the reviews.

That's the only improvement I can think of
And lamb of god do rule, yes

I COULD do that, but I'm too lazy and nobody would really check that. I'll do it when I'm REALLY bored though. Oh and... LAMB OF GOD IS THE BEST BAND EVER.

At 2/28/07 11:39 PM, PenguinLink wrote: Well, those are some ideas. I'm sure I'll come up with more in the near future, that is, if you don't have a problem with me posting them. I hope I was somewhat helpful. :)

Added some of them! Thanks for the great ideas mate!

At 3/2/07 03:24 PM, juraj wrote: I I think you should get a more reliable DB host :-)

Denvish was kind enough to let me put NG Log on his host, I can't really ask for more... =)

At 3/2/07 03:52 PM, SBB wrote: audio review responses would be damn helpful since you can't keep track of them at NG :)

Ah.. Someone else asking too.. Well, maybe later.

At 3/4/07 03:53 AM, juraj wrote: What about those broken UOTD images? Every day I open the NG log front page I see a broken pic in UOTD's corner.

Hmmm... I forgot people can also upload .jpg files. That's OK now, I fixed it. Thanks for the help!

At 3/4/07 06:04 AM, SBB wrote: Showing profile pics of all users on their stat page.

That's nice, but NG Log already is slow enough, I think =P

PenguinLink
PenguinLink
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-04 13:20:32 Reply

At 3/4/07 09:59 AM, Casualty wrote: Added some of them! Thanks for the great ideas mate!

Great! I'm glad I was able to help. You have no idea how great it feels to have your ideas be incorporated into someone else's hard work. Thanks a lot, buddy. :)

AtomicTerrorist
AtomicTerrorist
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-04 20:21:41 Reply

ok. just look at the pic.

Notice the background surrounding the "JACKIN" and "SIGNUP" turn it the same colour as the other background, not yellow. (SEE new pic)

and where the ***k are my blams!?!?!

NG Log Ideas

Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-05 02:52:25 Reply

At 3/4/07 01:20 PM, PenguinLink wrote:
At 3/4/07 09:59 AM, Casualty wrote: Added some of them! Thanks for the great ideas mate!
Great! I'm glad I was able to help. You have no idea how great it feels to have your ideas be incorporated into someone else's hard work. Thanks a lot, buddy. :)

It is a great feeling isnt it? I have also had one of my ideas added to NG log. So you can all thank me for the 'Lists' section. :-)

Also, your idea was great PenguinLink! I am glad those great one liners were added. Hmmm... I am sure I will think of another idea sooner or later, I guess you will just have to wait a bit Casualty before my brain thinks of a masterpiece idea.


Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
kilder
kilder
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-06 05:46:36 Reply

i saw the new pace feature, but it wasn't what i expected it to be...instead, you should make a feature that you can see how much places you went up in the experience and blams rankings, but since you registered, not each day.

Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-06 15:36:52 Reply

say what day we will level up if we deposit experience every day. like, instead of putting 300 days you could put 300 days (on june 1 is next lvl up). i hope u understand


Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-07 09:39:58 Reply

At 3/4/07 08:21 PM, AtomicTerrorist wrote: ok. just look at the pic.

Notice the background surrounding the "JACKIN" and "SIGNUP" turn it the same colour as the other background, not yellow. (SEE new pic)

And what do you think about the way it is now? I'm too lazy to open Photo Shop now =P

and where the ***k are my blams!?!?!

Are you sure you passed x*1,000 Blams?

At 3/6/07 05:46 AM, kilder wrote: i saw the new pace feature, but it wasn't what i expected it to be...instead, you should make a feature that you can see how much places you went up in the experience and blams rankings, but since you registered, not each day.

I can't see that, and it's a stupid idea. You went up millions of places, of course. Whatever.

At 3/6/07 03:36 PM, Bstuk2 wrote: say what day we will level up if we deposit experience every day. like, instead of putting 300 days you could put 300 days (on june 1 is next lvl up). i hope u understand

Yeah, good idea, I put it up... I just discovered I would level up on my birthday if the site isn't updated yet =P

kilder
kilder
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-07 09:52:25 Reply


I can't see that, and it's a stupid idea. You went up millions of places, of course. Whatever.

since you register to ng log, not to newgrounds...
nevermind

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-07 10:12:07 Reply

At 3/7/07 09:52 AM, kilder wrote:

I can't see that, and it's a stupid idea. You went up millions of places, of course. Whatever.
since you register to ng log, not to newgrounds...
nevermind

I see what you mean, but ranking up on NG Log doesn't mean anything...

kilder
kilder
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-08 08:45:10 Reply

hmmm...good point.

AtomicTerrorist
AtomicTerrorist
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-08 22:58:33 Reply

At 3/7/07 09:39 AM, Casualty wrote:
Notice the background surrounding the "JACKIN" and "SIGNUP" turn it the same colour as the other background, not yellow. (SEE new pic)
And what do you think about the way it is now? I'm too lazy to open Photo Shop now =P

my way looks way better :) you lazy bum lol

IM IN HAWAII!!!
Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-09 01:27:20 Reply

Ok I have an idea that is quite simple to make but also very cool.

Have a calculations section that can tell you:

How many b/p points you would have if you made: (Put your number in here)points per day.
How many posts you would have if you made: (Put your number in here) posts per day.

And etc. if you can think of any other calculations.

Another idea is very VERY simple but also very time saving and helpful.

Something that tells you how many EXP points you would have if you deposited every day.

I know that you added a thing that says you would be Level 10.76 or whatever but I think having how many points you would have is much better and more helpful. I know its majoring easy to find out this by yourself but I think it would be a easy and effective feature.

Also, How is that program you were making going?


Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature
juraj
juraj
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-09 03:54:40 Reply

At 3/9/07 01:27 AM, Sterockicy wrote: Also, How is that program you were making going?

You can use this script if you need a 1-click-log :-)
(works wonderfully in combination with crons)

http://pastebin.ca/raw/387347

If you desperately need a host, PM me.

BTW, WTF is this?
http://nglog.denvish.net/browse.php?id=293

HyperRaider
HyperRaider
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-09 09:45:19 Reply

Maybe NG Music on the site?
So we can tune in on it :)

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-10 05:28:43 Reply

At 3/8/07 10:58 PM, AtomicTerrorist wrote:
At 3/7/07 09:39 AM, Casualty wrote: And what do you think about the way it is now? I'm too lazy to open Photo Shop now =P
my way looks way better :) you lazy bum lol

Hahaha I'm not changing it =P

IM IN HAWAII!!!

Congrats =)

At 3/9/07 01:27 AM, Sterockicy wrote: Ok I have an idea that is quite simple to make but also very cool.

Have a calculations section that can tell you:

How many b/p points you would have if you made: (Put your number in here)points per day.
How many posts you would have if you made: (Put your number in here) posts per day.

And etc. if you can think of any other calculations.

Good idea! I did that, and I put the Experience, B/P, B, P and Posts as stats. I suppose that's just what you need.

Another idea is very VERY simple but also very time saving and helpful.

Something that tells you how many EXP points you would have if you deposited every day.

I know that you added a thing that says you would be Level 10.76 or whatever but I think having how many points you would have is much better and more helpful. I know its majoring easy to find out this by yourself but I think it would be a easy and effective feature.

It already tells you... If you deposited every day (9062 EXP)

Also, How is that program you were making going?

I'm kinda leaving it how it is. I mean, what's the use... Going to the site isn't THAT much more than pressing some button on your system tray... But thanks for asking!

At 3/9/07 03:54 AM, juraj wrote: You can use this script if you need a 1-click-log :-)
(works wonderfully in combination with crons)

http://pastebin.ca/raw/387347

Hahah, that's cool! But I modified the stat-pulling a while ago, so now you can just go to http://www.nglog.denvish.net/stats.php?user=y ourusername if you want. That's kinda easier, and I needed it for my program (which is now discontinued =P)

BTW, WTF is this?
http://nglog.denvish.net/browse.php?id=293

Hmmm, looks like an empty user... I deleted him because his username was null.

At 3/9/07 09:45 AM, HyperRaider wrote: Maybe NG Music on the site?
So we can tune in on it :)

That'd be hot, but there are a few problems:

-What music would I use?
-I'd have to make something like the NGAP flash, which would be rip-off and I'm to lazy to do it.
-I'd have to start using frames, and modify the whole site in function of these (the links, that is). Plus, frames suck for compatibility with browsers.

Sorry. It was a really good idea =(

juraj
juraj
  • Member since: May. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-10 07:03:38 Reply

Maybe you could ask EON to make a special, compact version of his AP radio player.

PS why frames? Just make a cookie-triggered option which would just display the aforementioned compact NGAP radio, let's say, in the bottom of the page (or maybe in place of the dumb quotes :P).

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-10 08:47:07 Reply

At 3/10/07 07:03 AM, juraj wrote: Maybe you could ask EON to make a special, compact version of his AP radio player.

PS why frames? Just make a cookie-triggered option which would just display the aforementioned compact NGAP radio, let's say, in the bottom of the page (or maybe in place of the dumb quotes :P).

Yeah, but every time you click something, the page would refresh and the flash player would reload...

Odyssic
Odyssic
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-11 11:50:51 Reply

If this idea has been done before, sorry.

Past user of the day?

Like NG?
Sterockicy
Sterockicy
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2007-03-12 02:30:14 Reply

At 3/10/07 05:28 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 3/9/07 01:27 AM, Sterockicy wrote: Ok I have an idea that is quite simple to make but also very cool.

Have a calculations section that can tell you:

How many b/p points you would have if you made: (Put your number in here)points per day.
How many posts you would have if you made: (Put your number in here) posts per day.

And etc. if you can think of any other calculations.
Good idea! I did that, and I put the Experience, B/P, B, P and Posts as stats. I suppose that's just what you need.

Thanks, I am really glad you added it. Its a great but also very simple idea and I am sure many MANY people will find it helpful. I know I did. Also, The newish looking layout you did looks great too.

Another idea is very VERY simple but also very time saving and helpful.

Something that tells you how many EXP points you would have if you deposited every day.

I know that you added a thing that says you would be Level 10.76 or whatever but I think having how many points you would have is much better and more helpful. I know its majoring easy to find out this by yourself but I think it would be a easy and effective feature.
It already tells you... If you deposited every day (9062 EXP)

Sorry, Just after I posted I went on the site and saw it. It was just a little hard to spot when looking at that section. Is it possible for you to make it either Bold or outside of the brackets?

Also, How is that program you were making going?
I'm kinda leaving it how it is. I mean, what's the use... Going to the site isn't THAT much more than pressing some button on your system tray... But thanks for asking!

Good point my friend. I am also one of those people who never finishes what I start. I dont blame you for not finishing this idea. I can understand why you didnt bother.


Do you have 2,500+ b/p points? Are you looking for an intelligent club where you can discuss NG related and unrelated topics? Join the Elite Guard Barracks!

BBS Signature