Be a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

  • 72,050 Views
  • 1,554 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
byteslinger
byteslinger
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Programmer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-24 12:27:44 Reply

At 1/24/09 09:17 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 1/24/09 09:01 AM, byteslinger wrote: Maybe you don't need access to the NG database - but just some modules that check security. For example, when you log into NewGrounds, there is obviously a cookie (or some other method) that stores your current user ID. There is also a module that verifies if you are logged in or not.
Again, not possible. Cookies can only be read by the server that set the cookie, not by other servers (for security reasons).
So, NG Log and NG would have to be hosted on the same server for your idea to work.

What a bonehead I am! It works for me because all of my code is on one server. Yup, I stand corrected. Okay, so any other ideas?


Proud member of the EGB |-Barracks Info-|-EGB BBS-|-EGB Website-|

BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-24 22:42:24 Reply

At 1/24/09 11:18 AM, loogiesquared wrote: Easter Egg #2 found. Locking on future target.

I wanted to find that myself.....thanks for taking all the fun out of it. I'm just messing with you good find @;-}>


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 04:25:03 Reply

At 1/24/09 12:27 PM, byteslinger wrote: What a bonehead I am! It works for me because all of my code is on one server. Yup, I stand corrected. Okay, so any other ideas?

It was a good idea, but yus, what Haggard said. Thanks Haggard for taking care of this, and thanks byteslinger for the idea :P

At 1/24/09 11:18 AM, loogiesquared wrote: Easter Egg #2 found. Locking on future target.

Shut the fuck up you fucking faggot, you're not supposed to reveal easter eggs. I'm going to see if I can get a mod to delete this post. >;O

NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 12:14:37 Reply

Um... Apparently nglog.denvish.net is hosting malware.

"Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at nglog.denvish.net contains elements from the site 91.205.233.91, which appears to host malware - software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for 91.205.233.91.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online."

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/
N1ckSc0tt/nglogcopy.jpg


[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 12:16:33 Reply

Ooops. Just read the thread. Okay.

double post embarrassment

[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
No36
No36
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 12:19:24 Reply

At 1/23/09 06:16 PM, SupaAwe03 wrote:
At 1/23/09 06:07 PM, S-S-8 wrote:
At 1/23/09 05:33 PM, No36 wrote:
At 1/22/09 04:27 PM, Casualty wrote: Indeed. And who the fuck would give a site his NG password if he was asked for it...
...(changes school network password)
(hacks No36 before he can change his school network password)
(hacks S-S-8 before he can hack No36, and so saves the day)
NOW SHUT UP.

(deletes S-S-8 and SupaAwe03 and ends the hacking, and then changes his school network password, only to realise that he's not at school)


Lurking moar so you don't have to. | Needs more Renault 5 Turbo 2

BBS Signature
aldlv
aldlv
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 12:29:48 Reply

At 1/25/09 12:14 PM, NickScott wrote: Um... Apparently nglog.denvish.net is hosting malware.

"Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at nglog.denvish.net contains elements from the site 91.205.233.91, which appears to host malware - software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for 91.205.233.91.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online."

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/
N1ckSc0tt/nglogcopy.jpg

thanx... but we all know that already, we have been talking about it for the last 2 pages i think

but anyway, that was helpful, what browser are you using? because some of us got the message from Avast

i don't think getting a lot of info about would help... but at least we know what we are dealing with...

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07
~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 15:31:24 Reply

Well, that post WAS quite helpful, because now we know the exact nature of the problem... And we also know I can't do anything about it =[

idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-25 15:59:58 Reply

At 1/25/09 03:31 PM, Casualty wrote: Well, that post WAS quite helpful, because now we know the exact nature of the problem... And we also know I can't do anything about it =[

I don't get anything saying that on my home computer, but at school it has a similar pop-up that it won't let me visit your site. All i think it is, is a firewall blocking it.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Member since: Sep. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-26 19:33:37 Reply

Casualty, I think this might work, regarding the passwords matter:

It could be like this: you type your username and log in. But, instead of taking you to the user menu, it would take you to a "password screen" or something similar. There, you would type the password you want.

After that, you could PM the user, confirming or not the password he/she chose. That way, if some random person attempted to log someone else's stats, it wouldn't work, since he won't know the NG password to that person's account. Then, if the user don't confirm that password, someone tried to log his stats without his knowledge. =)

However:

- You should warn people NOT to use the same password as they use on their NG accounts. Otherwise... yeah, it's pretty obvious.

- This would involve a lot of manual work, since you can't program your account to send an automatic PM. So you'd have to work quite a lot... everyday.

I hope you understood everything. And I hope it works.

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-27 05:10:30 Reply

Hahahahaha, that's a good idea, except for the PM part? Can you see a lazy ass like me respond to like 500 PMs for 5 days just to get people's password right? Thanks for trying, but fuck that :P

yhar
yhar
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-27 05:14:55 Reply

It's possible to send PMs using PHP w/ cURL, try that? I remember with NGCHAT I set up a small script that checked a userpage for a specific code and if it existed it confirmed the user was singing up, but it's a hassle. I don't see why people care about others logging their stats?


THIS IS CITRICSQUID POSTING

Haggard
Haggard
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Writer
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-27 05:55:59 Reply

At 1/27/09 05:14 AM, yhar wrote: I don't see why people care about others logging their stats?

Yeah, I don't get that part, neither. I mean, everybody can see my stats on my profile page and if someone really want to know his/her progress over a specific period, then why don't those people just have a look at their profile page, write down the stats they see and check back again after this period is over?

Some people even wrote in this thread that it is "immoral" to log other people's stats. I mean, wtf? How can such a thing be "immoral"?


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-27 07:01:15 Reply

I have no idea if it's necessary in fact... But people are asking for it. And the first technique I suggested is still easier than PMs....

Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Member since: Sep. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-27 07:50:01 Reply

At 1/27/09 05:10 AM, Casualty wrote: Hahahahaha, that's a good idea, except for the PM part? Can you see a lazy ass like me respond to like 500 PMs for 5 days just to get people's password right? Thanks for trying, but fuck that :P

I thought this would be the main problem. :P

And we, "mortals", can't help you much, since we don't have access to the NG Log database. I guess... we'll have to live with it. Only if you want to reset everyone's logs and "restart" NG Log, with the password thingy. But... I think no one wants that, right? :P

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-27 08:39:50 Reply

There is still the possibility I described above...

FC-Thun-Fan
FC-Thun-Fan
  • Member since: Jun. 13, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-28 15:13:42 Reply

I just had an idea for NG Log:

When comparing your stats with those of another user, it would be nice if you could decide which stats you want comparing. For example; if you could decide to compare all stats apart from posts and total stats. I think this would be pretty useful because I often get annoyed when I compare my stats and the other user's posts just completely dwarf mine. Especially as some people just keep making crappy posts and therefore have loads of posts.

So what do you think of this idea?


ROOTS ROCK REGGAE

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-29 09:18:29 Reply

Hahaha, if you think posts aren't important in the comparison, just don't look at them. I'm not going to do useless stuff like that just to make you feel better :P

Perceptor
Perceptor
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-30 10:11:32 Reply

At 1/27/09 05:55 AM, Haggard wrote:
Some people even wrote in this thread that it is "immoral" to log other people's stats. I mean, wtf? How can such a thing be "immoral"?

Possibly because some people start to forget that there is a difference between the real world, and things that could legitimately described as immoral, and Newgrounds. Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's simply due to people getting so obsessed with this website and anything related thereto, that they regard anything which detracts from its supposed purpose as being an affront against its very nature. Such people are to be pitied for not realising this difference.

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-01-31 04:21:50 Reply

Indeed. This is the internet. In fact, it's better not to care about this.

idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-03 19:50:53 Reply

At 1/29/09 09:18 AM, Casualty wrote: Hahaha, if you think posts aren't important in the comparison, just don't look at them. I'm not going to do useless stuff like that just to make you feel better :P

FC-Thun-Fan reminded me of something. The stat comparison is always haveing some glitchs such as most of the time it shows the wrong levels and b/p badges and other various things that decide to glitch up. I'm not telling you to fix it :::i could care less if you did::: but i just wanted to let you know.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-04 12:32:33 Reply

I thought I had finally fixed all those glitches... Pfff, not going to work on THAT now.

idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-04 19:50:05 Reply

At 2/4/09 12:32 PM, Casualty wrote: I thought I had finally fixed all those glitches... Pfff, not going to work on THAT now.

There nothing major, the rest of it works fine so i see no reason to fix it if you want to stay a procrastinator.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 16:28:29 Reply

At 2/5/09 04:19 PM, ectoplasmer3 wrote: I found THIS R A EASTER EGG in log.

For the future when you find a easter egg most people prefer that it does not get posted because that takes away the fun for the rest of us.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
aldlv
aldlv
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 20:02:34 Reply

At 2/5/09 07:30 PM, ectoplasmer3 wrote:
At 2/5/09 04:28 PM, idiot-buster wrote:
At 2/5/09 04:19 PM, ectoplasmer3 wrote: I found THIS R A EASTER EGG in log.
For the future when you find a easter egg most people prefer that it does not get posted because that takes away the fun for the rest of us.
oh.. ok.

good to know, but as i-d don't show it...
anyway there are 4... so keep loocking the other 3


~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07
~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 20:11:41 Reply

At 2/5/09 08:02 PM, aldlv wrote:
At 2/5/09 07:30 PM, ectoplasmer3 wrote:
At 2/5/09 04:28 PM, idiot-buster wrote:
At 2/5/09 04:19 PM, ectoplasmer3 wrote: I found THIS R A EASTER EGG in log.
For the future when you find a easter egg most people prefer that it does not get posted because that takes away the fun for the rest of us.
oh.. ok.
good to know, but as i-d don't show it...
anyway there are 4... so keep loocking the other 3

"as i-d said" thats more insulting than just shortening my username down to just "idiot". That is almost unusual i've never seen that done before. As i never say whatever floats your boat :::now go to the dark corner of the bbs:::


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 20:11:47 Reply

Congrats for the 1,000th reply I guess... And indeed, there are 4 easter eggs to be found if I remember well. HAHAHA ;]

aldlv
aldlv
  • Member since: Jul. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 20:31:48 Reply

At 2/5/09 08:11 PM, idiot-buster wrote: "as i-d said" thats more insulting than just shortening my username down to just "idiot". That is almost unusual i've never seen that done before. As i never say whatever floats your boat :::now go to the dark corner of the bbs:::

ok, idiot-buster, i will say your complete name... is that i like to short them
but if you take it that way, i won't anymore
@;-}

At 2/5/09 08:11 PM, Casualty wrote: Congrats for the 1,000th reply I guess... And indeed, there are 4 easter eggs to be found if I remember well. HAHAHA ;]

ohh... i didn't realize
XD
well, congrats Casualty for 1k replies, and thanx for keeping NgLog so nice... (i'm not sure how many times you hear that a day)

and... wtf?... now, i think there are more easter eggs <_<


~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07
~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 21:43:52 Reply

At 2/5/09 08:31 PM, aldlv wrote:
At 2/5/09 08:11 PM, idiot-buster wrote: "as i-d said" thats more insulting than just shortening my username down to just "idiot". That is almost unusual i've never seen that done before. As i never say whatever floats your boat :::now go to the dark corner of the bbs:::
ok, idiot-buster, i will say your complete name... is that i like to short them
but if you take it that way, i won't anymore
@;-}

Oh, it's not your fault. My username is easy to abbreviate in to something that i may or may not like. You could just do buster and not buster1 because thats all behind be now :::if you even remember:::
ONe last thing this @;-}>


and... wtf?... now, i think there are more easter eggs <_<

What are you talking about? Just give me a small hint or tell me what has changed that may lead you to beileve there are more after it took me about a year to find the first set of them.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas 2009-02-05 22:27:56 Reply

I saw this thread at 998 replies, I was about to reply to get the 1,000th post but posting for the sake of it is useless.

So yeah, congrats for making a successful and cool website so those who have no life can get their stats at every second to see their stats grow :D

On to the next 1,000!