Be a Supporter!

NG Log Ideas

  • 68,411 Views
  • 1,556 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Phantom
Phantom
  • Member since: Sep. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jun. 27th, 2007 @ 02:32 PM Reply

At 6/27/07 10:57 AM, madknt wrote: thats awesome, please feel free to leave messages on my nglog.
i would find that most amusing when i check it once every so often.
hilarious.

I just did, and I'm sure you'd agree if you were trying to leave yourself a real message it would be a true pain in the ass.


Elite Guard Barracks Former 3IC
NG Dept. of Defense Chief Sup. Commander/Ball buster.
I live in Israel:...Whooptie-fucking-doo.

BBS Signature
NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jun. 27th, 2007 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 6/27/07 10:57 AM, madknt wrote: thats awesome, please feel free to leave messages on my nglog.
i would find that most amusing when i check it once every so often.
hilarious.

Haha, I left one in Sterockicy's yesterday.


[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jun. 28th, 2007 @ 07:35 AM Reply

At 6/26/07 02:44 AM, NickScott wrote: Could've had B/P:
It could show your Blams and Protects for the day and then show the percentage of how much you got. It could let yuh know if you're getting half of the days B/P, a third, all, etc.

That's just too fucking much. I've had some people telling me there's too much stuff on NG Log, and I must admit I think they were right. I will add more stuff, but only if it's really worth it. Though this goes too far.

At 6/26/07 04:35 AM, deslona wrote: But you do bring an interesting idea of monitoring the growth of NG.
It would be nice to see the growth and spikes of the submissions and new members/day comming to NG. Also the deleted submissions/a day
Could this be calculated and graphed everyday? As well as possibly labled? (spikes like clockday noted)

May I again remind you people that NG Log was made for monitoring your personal account stats and not NG? All these things you said would be on NG, if they weren't too much of a strain for the server. Also, who gives a fuck about graphs of new users per day? It's cool to know that more people sign up on Monday than on Thursday, but it really isn't relevant.

Another interesting statistic is the complete NGLog users ratio to NG users. It would be pretty small I expect.

That ratio is 0.000107. It's less and less every day, and nobody cares about it.

Could this be provided on a seperate page?

No.

Am I asking the reasonably possible?

No.

At 6/26/07 02:53 PM, Haggard wrote: Would be nice to see something similar for Posts and/or Exp or something like that ^^ .

I might just make a weekly page/table or something, but that's not for now.

At 6/27/07 09:55 AM, Phantom wrote: Hey casualty are you sure about this new "save notes" idea? I mean it's nice but as you know any one can log in under anyone's name and read other people's private notes. Not that I ever would. It's makes me feel odd leaving messages on it because I'd know they would be totally public.

Hmm, didn't think of that. Well, people can always use it to leave messages then...

Just don't put anything too personal in it :P

Phantom
Phantom
  • Member since: Sep. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jun. 28th, 2007 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 6/28/07 07:35 AM, Casualty wrote: hmm, didn't think of that. Well, people can always use it to leave messages then...
Just don't put anything too personal in it :P

I guess no private notes. But another thing I'm worried about is you can change anyone's real e-mail to a fake on the page with that option on top that's about sending you an e-mail every time you log...


Elite Guard Barracks Former 3IC
NG Dept. of Defense Chief Sup. Commander/Ball buster.
I live in Israel:...Whooptie-fucking-doo.

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jun. 28th, 2007 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 6/28/07 11:53 AM, Phantom wrote: I guess no private notes. But another thing I'm worried about is you can change anyone's real e-mail to a fake on the page with that option on top that's about sending you an e-mail every time you log...

This has been discussed already. NG Log is not an instrument for irritating other members. And anyway, who'd think about using it like that? Returning NG Log members are mostly respected NG regulars who care about their stats.

NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas Jun. 28th, 2007 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 6/28/07 12:11 PM, Casualty wrote: This has been discussed already. NG Log is not an instrument for irritating other members. And anyway, who'd think about using it like that?

there's always some, but i'm sure that if it does get abused, someone will report it and it can be dealt with.

anyway, just wanted to say that i like the new "Experience Deposited, Stats Logged" bit at the top, it looks much neater there.


BBS Signature
Odyssic
Odyssic
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 3rd, 2007 @ 01:56 PM Reply

Meh this isn't something big buton the list, you should put people who have a BA of A+, B+, C+ and D+. Also the number of people who don't have one.

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 4th, 2007 @ 02:47 AM Reply

At 7/3/07 01:56 PM, Odyssic wrote: Meh this isn't something big buton the list, you should put people who have a BA of A+, B+, C+ and D+. Also the number of people who don't have one.

Excellent idea. It will be taken care of this afternoon. Thanks for your contribution!

deslona
deslona
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 4th, 2007 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 6/28/07 12:40 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 6/28/07 12:11 PM, Casualty wrote: This has been discussed already. NG Log is not an instrument for irritating other members. And anyway, who'd think about using it like that?

Someone did, a while ago I got a generic 'fuck you'... should have taken a screenshot. For some reason I think that person was doing it to everyone else too.

there's always some, but i'm sure that if it does get abused, someone will report it and it can be dealt with.

How exactally?

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 4th, 2007 @ 06:32 AM Reply

At 7/4/07 02:57 AM, deslona wrote: Someone did, a while ago I got a generic 'fuck you'... should have taken a screenshot. For some reason I think that person was doing it to everyone else too.
Blah blah solution blah
How exactally?

There are two solutions: Either I remove those features, or we go back to the password era. If anyone feels like commenting on this password possibility, I'm open for suggestions.

But people are a bit reluctant when talking about passwords. They think I'm going to steal their NG accounts or use them for other evil purposes. Though that's not my goal, as has been proved.

Anyway you people can choose. If you don't like those features as they are, I either remove them or I add a password functionality.

NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 4th, 2007 @ 06:35 AM Reply

At 6/28/07 07:35 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 6/26/07 02:44 AM, NickScott wrote: Could've had B/P:
It could show your Blams and Protects for the day and then show the percentage of how much you got. It could let yuh know if you're getting half of the days B/P, a third, all, etc.
That's just too fucking much. I've had some people telling me there's too much stuff on NG Log, and I must admit I think they were right. I will add more stuff, but only if it's really worth it. Though this goes too far.

Nice to see you pissed. I understand what you're trying to say but if you're gonna make it an NGLog this idea can be very helpful.

unlike a save-notes feature or something like that

[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 4th, 2007 @ 06:39 AM Reply

At 7/4/07 06:35 AM, NickScott wrote: Nice to see you pissed. I understand what you're trying to say but if you're gonna make it an NGLog this idea can be very helpful.

As I said, I'm just repeating what some people told me. They thought the page was overloaded with stats and numbers. I will however think about your idea and maybe I'll find a little spot somewhere to place it.

unlike a save-notes feature or something like that

Don't like my ideas? >:C

NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 4th, 2007 @ 06:52 AM Reply

At 7/4/07 06:39 AM, Casualty wrote: As I said, I'm just repeating what some people told me. They thought the page was overloaded with stats and numbers.

Fuck them!

I will however think about your idea and maybe I'll find a little spot somewhere to place it.

Looking at my post, I think I overreacted a bit... It's not that important but would be quite helpful to see how much you missed. And it could be under You could've had this much points! looking like:

23 of 46 total blams and 12 of 24 total saves (50%)

Don't like my ideas? >:C

I like it but just think it's kinda pointless for a site based on stats...


[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
Asmodina
Asmodina
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 6th, 2007 @ 12:42 PM Reply

hmm, nglog get's the amount of my reviews wrong. nglog says i have 7, but my ng profile says i have 8.
i have logged my stats again already, but that didn't help.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 12th, 2007 @ 02:31 PM Reply

Nothing of use for people but maybe a lil shoutbox so people can comment the site without having to post it here? Plus it'd make the site look less like a dead site

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 13th, 2007 @ 06:19 AM Reply

At 7/6/07 12:42 PM, Asmodina wrote: hmm, nglog get's the amount of my reviews wrong. nglog says i have 7, but my ng profile says i have 8.
i have logged my stats again already, but that didn't help.

Heh, I don't know how that happened. I thought the system worked. Do you mind if I fix it in a few days? I'm quite busy right now...

At 7/12/07 02:31 PM, SBB wrote: Nothing of use for people but maybe a lil shoutbox so people can comment the site without having to post it here? Plus it'd make the site look less like a dead site

Probably a good idea that will be executed later today, if I find the will to do so.

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 13th, 2007 @ 06:09 PM Reply

It was my NG birthday on the 10th and I forgot. NG Log should have reminded me :(


[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 14th, 2007 @ 05:20 AM Reply

At 7/13/07 06:09 PM, milinko959 wrote: It was my NG birthday on the 10th and I forgot. NG Log should have reminded me :(

Hey, why not! Feature installed. By the way, thanks for reviewing my movie :)

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 14th, 2007 @ 08:01 AM Reply

At 7/14/07 05:20 AM, Casualty wrote:
At 7/13/07 06:09 PM, milinko959 wrote: It was my NG birthday on the 10th and I forgot. NG Log should have reminded me :(
Hey, why not! Feature installed. By the way, thanks for reviewing my movie :)

No problem, thanks for the response and using my idea. And Dumb and Dumber is so underrated :(


[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
mariobro42
mariobro42
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 14th, 2007 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 6/27/07 09:55 AM, Phantom wrote: Hey casualty are you sure about this new "save notes" idea? I mean it's nice but as you know any one can log in under anyone's name and read other people's private notes.

Then add password protection to NG log. I have a feeling someone else has already said this, but what the hell.
Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?


Mario doesn't murder koopas!
When it's an accident, it's called koopaslaughter.
I can not be a faggot.

BBS Signature
NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 14th, 2007 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 7/14/07 03:52 PM, mariobro42 wrote: Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?

No, there's no big things you can change in someone else's profile, so there is no reason for a password. I like leaving people silly messages.

who left "I like penis :P"???

[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 15th, 2007 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 7/14/07 09:49 PM, NickScott wrote:
At 7/14/07 03:52 PM, mariobro42 wrote: Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?
No, there's no big things you can change in someone else's profile, so there is no reason for a password. I like leaving people silly messages.
who left "I like penis :P"???

It's all good and well, but people... PLEASE sign your fun joke messages. Just as a courtesy to the user who's page you're defacing. Please? #;-}>

Strangely, only one of my three accounts was defaced so far, speaking of defacement.

DEFACTO DEFACERY!

Man, any word with "defac" in it is just fucking awesome to say or type. I can't stop! SOMEONE STOP ME.


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Member since: Jul. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 15th, 2007 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 7/14/07 03:52 PM, mariobro42 wrote: Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?

Also because some users don't log their stats a lot, and someone might still want to update that account to compare or something.


[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 15th, 2007 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 7/14/07 03:52 PM, mariobro42 wrote: Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?

I don't think it needs it. It's been functioning perfectly fine without it thus far. Besides, the only thing you can really do on somebody else's NG Log is write notes or log their stats for them. Neither of those things are particularly harmful, or require password protection to prevent.

Man, any word with "defac" in it is just fucking awesome to say or type. I can't stop! SOMEONE STOP ME.

*tackles gfoxcook to the ground in an attempt to stop him.*


BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 15th, 2007 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 7/15/07 03:49 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 7/14/07 03:52 PM, mariobro42 wrote: Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?
I don't think it needs it. It's been functioning perfectly fine without it thus far. Besides, the only thing you can really do on somebody else's NG Log is write notes or log their stats for them. Neither of those things are particularly harmful, or require password protection to prevent.

Man, any word with "defac" in it is just fucking awesome to say or type. I can't stop! SOMEONE STOP ME.
*tackles gfoxcook to the ground in an attempt to stop him.*
At 7/15/07 03:41 PM, milinko959 wrote:
At 7/14/07 03:52 PM, mariobro42 wrote: Why not anyway? Newgrounds uses password protection, why not NG log?
Also because some users don't log their stats a lot, and someone might still want to update that account to compare or something.

That's exactly the reason. What if someone's tired of pimp never logging his stats, and they want to log pimp's exp to make sure NGLog's a little more accurate?

Or what if someone wants to see where Tom Fulp compares with his fellow NGers right now, rather than 3 months ago, when someone else last logged his data. Boom. Tom Fulp stats... made current in the blink of an eye by anyone who cares to go to the trouble.

I think those are the most convincing arguments for why the post-password system on NG Log has worked well and shouldn't be changed.

The only reason we're even talking about putting passwords back into effect are some specific specialized features that Casualty has added (the e-mail thing, the messages on the page thing).


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
killa9512
killa9512
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 15th, 2007 @ 09:05 PM Reply

turn the layout into negetive! as a tradition or something, and on that same day every month(do one that every month has) just for kicks. or do it any time you want, so people are eager to find out when it will be here. That way they go on almost every day!

and put an estimation, and stats on how close you are to next whistle level, if you can! pelase!!!

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 16th, 2007 @ 08:09 AM Reply

Nice discussion about the passwords guys. After consideration and consulting the NG Log High Consulate, we have decided that there will be no passwords (re-)placed on the site for now. Indeed, it's good to be able to update other people's stats or to leave them a message. In fact, I might just improve that message system, I'll see how I'll do that.

At 7/14/07 08:01 AM, milinko959 wrote: No problem, thanks for the response and using my idea.

Really, it was a good idea :)

And Dumb and Dumber is so underrated :(

Yeah. I'd like to type the best quote of the movie here. And I will. GIRLS ARE FOR FAGS!

At 7/15/07 09:05 PM, killa9512 wrote: turn the layout into negative! as a tradition or something, and on that same day every month(do one that every month has) just for kicks. or do it any time you want, so people are eager to find out when it will be here. That way they go on almost every day!

I don't think a negative layout is very attractive. Firstly because it looks like shit, secondly because it's a lot of work, and finally because who the fuck wants a negative layout for a website?

and put an estimation, and stats on how close you are to next whistle level, if you can! pelase!!!

I am not able to do so. To do that, I'd need to know the requirements for every whistle level, which I don't. Nobody except the admins know them. Maybe the redesign will shed light on this subject, but I doubt so...

NickScott
NickScott
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 17th, 2007 @ 10:13 PM Reply

Oh dear, I feel bad for Casualty. There's going to be a lot of work to update everything :P


[ Soundcloud | HarryJarry.com | Last.fm | Kongregate | Real life? none]

BBS Signature
bifgis
bifgis
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 17th, 2007 @ 10:56 PM Reply

We'll really appreciate the time you spend reprogramming the log if you decide to, but on the other hand we'll understand if you decide not to...

Shaun
Shaun
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to NG Log Ideas Jul. 17th, 2007 @ 11:23 PM Reply

At 7/17/07 10:13 PM, NickScott wrote: Oh dear, I feel bad for Casualty. There's going to be a lot of work to update everything :P

i know, how sad.
hopefully he does do it though, for all us whores.

i also hope the top 2000 users list gets an update, that would be cool.


// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature