Be a Supporter!

Slamdance Update

  • 12,827 Views
  • 131 Replies
Respond to this Topic
EviLDoG
EviLDoG
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:25 PM Reply

MadCow and Quiksand, stop acting irresponsible please, take it in to a PM convo, no trying to moderate, just don't want to see 50% worthless posts on a decent topic.

They should not have really nominated it in the first place as they should have known it would cause some controversy. Still, it's the authors right to freedom of speech, it was the people who nominated them, their freedom of speech, the sponsors freedom of speech which has caused the kerfuffle.

I dunno, maybe freedom of speech leads to more problems than a dictatorship?

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:32 PM Reply

Hey guys, quit shitting up this topic. I just deleted about fifteen posts of faggotry, keep it private.


BBS Signature
iAnimate
iAnimate
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 05:25 PM, EviLDoG wrote:

I dunno, maybe freedom of speech leads to more problems than a dictatorship?

that's the problem with democracy. Everybody have their right, even though they may piss some people off. If you try to please those who are pissed off, others who want to protect their right get pissed off.

Either way, people are gonna get pissed off, and it's a lose lose situation.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:48 PM Reply

For some reason I haven't been in the mood to make any official comment on the whole Slamdance fiasco... I think I've just been too busy and worn out lately to get too wrapped up in it and I'm tired of eDrama.

I was disappointed in Slamdance for pulling Super Columbine - it's an amazing game and deserved to be there. At the same time, I sympathized with Slamdance because I deal with so much shit here on Newgrounds (although we've lost endless sponsors and have never pulled a submission due to complaints from advertisers, so in reality, I shouldn't sympathize too much).

Anyway, while I disapproved of their decision, I still wanted to support their effort to have an independent games festival. In the end, though, I feel not much effort was made to do damage control on the situation. The whole event is marred in controversy and most of the other developers won't be there, so it seemed time to withdraw, rather than spend six days celebrity-spotting.


This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:48 PM Reply

Well I find it lame that the Slamdance festival is SUPPOSED to be this celebration and recognizing of the often unrecognized creative people in the scene but because of the monetary GREED.. they suddenly decide that it is no longer about that.. slamdance is about making a buck off of this so they prance around with lame ass excuses to bump out games that may threaten its bankroll. fuck that, its not a festival at all.... Their arguments are all fluff and i pity the developers who still are sticking around for this bullshit excuse for a festival.

-L


None

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:51 PM Reply

fuck that i deleted my previous post im not getting worked up about this all over again.
Anyway I disapprove of it, the end.

^___^


None

Mister-Mind
Mister-Mind
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 05:51 PM, Luis wrote: Anyway I disapprove of it, the end.

Amen

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 05:55 PM Reply

I'm curious as to what Tom thinks of this SCMRPG business.


i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
iAnimate
iAnimate
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 05:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm tired of eDrama.

What suck's about this is that both sides have their reasons.
One side, they do have a right to pull the game because it is offensive to victims of the tragic event
On another side the game has a right to be showcased, if it were half as amazing as you say it is than it not being recognisedis a crime

it's too needlessly complicated for my liking

Snubby
Snubby
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:09 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 04:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: hang out with Luis and BoMToons

Didn't invite me?

w878935
w878935
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:14 PM Reply

every thing tom say is true i know because me is my friend

Slamdance Update

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 06:02 PM, iAnimate wrote:
At 1/18/07 05:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm tired of eDrama.

What suck's about this is that both sides have their reasons.
One side, they do have a right to pull the game because it is offensive to victims of the tragic event

Well the interesting thing about it is that the 'offensive' schpiel isnt the outright reason Slamdance gave for pulling it.. which is what makes it lame.. they are trying to be like caresalesmen and carefully pick words so that they dont look lame for backing off because of sponsor(revenue) pressure which is the real reason. They are purposefully being dodgy and slimy and thats what most people have an issue with. It sort of goes against the whole supporting the independent developers when they have their knees buckled by corporates.

-L


None

SubKutz
SubKutz
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 05:25 PM, EviLDoG wrote: MadCow and Quiksand, stop acting irresponsible please, take it in to a PM convo, no trying to moderate, just don't want to see 50% worthless posts on a decent topic.

Lol, dude have you heard yourself?

Anyway, SCMRPG is an awesome game. I thought it would have been just another boring old crappy gore fest. But in fact it's quite tough.

I guess the promoters and sponsors don't want fuck all to do with Murdering teenagers.

Hell, i murder 3 a week in pakistan.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 05:55 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: I'm curious as to what Tom thinks of this SCMRPG business.

Oh, wow, I'm sure glad I didn't read Tom's post a couple replies before mine, yes sir, that pleases me.


i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
Pyro
Pyro
  • Member since: Sep. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:23 PM Reply

I personally think SCMRPG should have been pulled for another reason: the game SUCKS. If it wasn't about shooting kids in Columbine, it never would have been noticed. Really, the only reason it gets hype because of the controversy and controversy can only take a game so far. The actual gameplay is terrible. It's a repetitive game with an uncreative battle system. I don't mind all the Columbine stuff, but I disagree that the game should be so celebrated without good gameplay to back it up.


:)

BBS Signature
VespeneGas
VespeneGas
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:38 PM Reply

No, I'm not...

iAnimate
iAnimate
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:52 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 06:14 PM, Luis wrote:
At 1/18/07 06:02 PM, iAnimate wrote:
At 1/18/07 05:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: they are trying to be like caresalesmen and carefully pick words so that they dont look lame for backing off because of sponsor(revenue) pressure which is the real reason.

god, they truly sound like real douches

MadCow
MadCow
  • Member since: May. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:54 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 06:23 PM, Pyro wrote: I personally think SCMRPG should have been pulled for another reason: the game SUCKS. If it wasn't about shooting kids in Columbine, it never would have been noticed. Really, the only reason it gets hype because of the controversy and controversy can only take a game so far.

This is exactly how I feel. Because I actually have played the game. If the game was just about some other shit and not the Columbine Shooting, then it wouldn't be an eighteenth of how popular and overhyped it is.

That was really stupid of you to pull the game, just because they wouldn't let some attention-seeking faggots win, Tom. You probably would have won something :/


REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature
wesdood
wesdood
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 06:56 PM Reply

when is alien homnid coming out on xbla?

wesdood
wesdood
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:06 PM Reply

SCSRPG looks really cool too. i'm about to get it.

FatherTime89
FatherTime89
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 06:54 PM, MadCow wrote:
That was really stupid of you to pull the game, just because they wouldn't let some attention-seeking faggots win, Tom. You probably would have won something :/

So what it would have been a hollow unimpressive victory, since most people already started to leave in protest.

TheChaosDemon
TheChaosDemon
  • Member since: Sep. 3, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:34 PM Reply

I read the news updates on the website, still have no idea what this "controversy" is all about.

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:36 PM Reply

Well, it sucks we don't get any new Castle Crashers updates. It seemed almost vaporware for a while.

To Luis, I'm sure there's more behind pulling Super Columbine than just money. Well, at least in the sense of making money. They would have probably had assholes attempting to sue them or something. It's not something anyone wants to deal with, no matter how legal their actions were. Also, it does sound a bit assholish to make a Columbine game. I'm sure it's fun, but probably a lot of people there wouldn't have approved anyway. Just like how racist content is pulled occasionally from NG (I've had it happen to me).


I suck.

Killer-DuK
Killer-DuK
  • Member since: Mar. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:36 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 06:08 PM, Grammer wrote: Tom, is Castle Crashers going to be available for the Wii? =]

I sure hope as hell hope so.

anyway as for the Super Columbine game, i dissagree and agree for it being pulled at the same time. My reasons are because, its not really a great event to base a game off of, but the Author of the game should have freedom of expression to have it allowed.

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 07:36 PM, Killer-DuK wrote: . . . but the Author of the game should have freedom of expression to have it allowed.

Well, there's a huge difference between what happened and what the rights of people are. He's allowed to make the game . . . just as Slamdance is allowed to not have it in their festival. It's their choice ultimately, and no Bill of Rights or Constitutional freedom is being truncated here.


I suck.

SniperWolf1564
SniperWolf1564
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 04:14 PM, Claxor wrote:
O
When is the game to be released anyway?

When is it going to be released on XBL Arcade?


Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.
Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature
Redface
Redface
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:46 PM Reply

What is this controversy? why is it so bad that you guys decided to drop out?

At 1/18/07 04:17 PM, Quiksand wrote: Tom, how much people sucked your cock in this thread so far?

How much people? You're a fucking joke, dude.


Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature
iAnimate
iAnimate
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 1/18/07 07:46 PM, Redface wrote: What is this controversy? why is it so bad that you guys decided to drop out?

RageVI explained it pretty well towards the end of the first page


At 1/18/07 04:17 PM, Quiksand wrote: Tom, how much people sucked your cock in this thread so far?
How much people? You're a fucking joke, dude.

Like 10 posts deleted between page 1-2. Flame War...yadda yadda

Novelty
Novelty
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 07:53 PM Reply

Alright, Newgrounds and Revird should be getting major updates fairly soon, best month ever!

aquaticmole
aquaticmole
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Slamdance Update Jan. 18th, 2007 @ 08:10 PM Reply

wait, are you backing out of slam dance because of the fact that someone finds your game racist or is it because of super columbine massacre RPG?


aquaticmole.

BBS Signature