New Topic Respond to this Topic
SpaceAndTime
SpaceAndTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 06:23 PM Reply

I was playing super mario 64, and suddenly noticed the way they made the lava flow. It was simple, yet effective. I immediately knew I had to do it with flash... so I did.
The way it works is you make a square, or triangle, or whatever, of water flowing. Then you snap a bunch of them together, squish the ones at the top, and ta da! A waterfall!
http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wate rfall64mn8.swf
(in this example, I've doubled the waterfall. The one on top is at 50% alpha and a few frames behind.) and yeah, it runs backwards. Oops. Sue me.

If you can't figure out how to make the looping square thing... well, I'm not going to help you.

And if you want to see mario64 beaten in SIXTEEN MINUTES...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=64937 22340610946105

Animation trick o' the day

ShortMonkey
ShortMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 06:25 PM Reply

Nice, a bit slow but nice.

BBS Signature
Fion
Fion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 06:27 PM Reply

That's a nice little trick there. You must be a talented animator to be able to pick up small things like that just messing around on your nintendo. Good work.

also is this Matomic, or whatever you used to be called?

BBS Signature
sinz3ro
sinz3ro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 06:39 PM Reply

In my opinion, it doesn't look that great (no offense). But to me it doesn't really look like water flowing, too slow and could be a done a hell of a lot better. Except if you keep practicing stuff like that you'll probably be pro at it in no time.

// Harvest++ coming soon, more modes, more stuff, customizable character, achievements and more!

BBS Signature
SpaceAndTime
SpaceAndTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 1/15/07 06:27 PM, Fion wrote: That's a nice little trick there. You must be a talented animator to be able to pick up small things like that just messing around on your nintendo. Good work.

Thank you

also is this Matomic, or whatever you used to be called?

Yup. I like this name better. It's much nerdier.

Also, the waterfall is indeed slow, but only due to inneficciency becuase I rushed it. If I do it again, I know exactly how I could make it run much faster. Like, there's twice as many symbols than there could be, and the loops were done with two objects, when I could have done it with one.

If they give us more symbol distortion options in flash 9, I could make full 3D looking scenes. Like If you could tween a symbol from this:
_
|_|
(square)
to this:
_
/ _ \
(trapeziod)
You can currently do this with the distort tool, but only to drawings, not symbols.

GodlyMonkey
GodlyMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 07:36 PM Reply

TY that was very helpful 2 me:)

PaperBagMask
PaperBagMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 08:31 PM Reply

your best bet for tweening water is to look at it in WindWaker, a spray of water from that would be animated by using a movieclip of a bunch of blue dots, and have the movie clips spread out from a central point. This involves a lot of MCs so you'll want to go through the tweens and double click inbetween the main keyframes so it gives the appearance of being keyframed, once you've done that then you want to get rid of the tween function and also break apart the symbols.
The last part is optional but will make it run faster.
I was gonna explain the waterfall but it's too hard to explain considering the shapes involved.
but if you have WindWaker then pay as much attention to the animation if you want to do tweened effects that look nice, I believe Jacksmack attempted this but from what I've seen it looks like he didn't do it exactly like WindWaker or he just took a few ideas from WindWaker.

PyroGreg
PyroGreg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Programmer
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 08:34 PM Reply

I still think Adam Phillips make the best water animation

SpaceAndTime
SpaceAndTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 1/15/07 08:34 PM, Hornby wrote: I still think Adam Phillips make the best water animation

Me too. But you know how he makes water glisten on the surface? that's one tween, no fbf. It's called a scribble cel, look it up on flashwiki.net

I made another, much better, much less laggy animation using my tecqnique:
http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wate rfall2kp8.swf
This technique is not exclusive to water/lava/whatever. It can be used for a lot of stuff. Stuff like... um... uh, one of those long news panel things on the side of buildings? You know, words scroll through it? Yeah.... There's probably more practical applications for this, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

PaperBagMask
PaperBagMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 15th, 2007 @ 10:25 PM Reply

I have to admit your way of doing it isn't too bad but you need to animate the top so it isn't always flat and also add some ripples at the bottom.
I might go give this a try now.

HTMLRULES
HTMLRULES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 04:56 AM Reply

Thats ausome

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 05:06 AM Reply

i like it but... that swf you linked- shouldnt that be reversed? last time i checked gravity made thing fall

also theres a tut on something like this, but not a waterfall. and i love the effect
http://www.gotoandplay.it/_articles/2003/07/w ater_fx.php
http://www.telefragged.com/wally/madewithwall y/liquids.htm

BritishMoose
BritishMoose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 07:32 AM Reply

It certainly isn't as effective as hand-drawing the water animation, but it's an extremely good alternattive considering the ammount of effort you put into each technique. I'm probably going to use it one day, thanks!

Never forget...

BBS Signature
PaperBagMask
PaperBagMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 08:09 AM Reply

I tried it and I screwed it up, I didn't think of using more then one type of square.

MDTailz
MDTailz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 08:59 AM Reply

cool trick, i might use that :D

Johnnsen
Johnnsen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 10:34 AM Reply

Mmh, nice find, but i wont use it. It's not fitting any style i like. It just looks like a tween i think. How someone said before, i like to do that fbf. ;)

Blood For The Bloodgod

patu1
patu1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 12:15 PM Reply

at firt i didn't think it is good then i rotated my head and it looks really good the right
way...

BBS Signature
Mogly
Mogly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Animation trick o' the day Jan. 16th, 2007 @ 12:48 PM Reply

That's cool. Although you didn't full on art it out for the little preview it's still a good technique. Can pass over into other forms too.

Wasn't it you who posted about the 3d rotated buildings too (like in that 'Future' movie)? If so, nice and nice again.

That's cool too impotentboy.

WEBSITE
BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~
NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature
chluaid
chluaid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Animation trick o' the day Feb. 4th, 2007 @ 08:30 AM Reply

At 1/15/07 10:08 PM, SpaceAndTime wrote:
At 1/15/07 08:34 PM, Hornby wrote: I still think Adam Phillips make the best water animation
Me too. But you know how he makes water glisten on the surface? that's one tween, no fbf. It's called a scribble cel, look it up on flashwiki.net

Hey SpaceAndTime, thanks for the credit dude.. but really, your flashwiki article is pretty much a direct copy of my blog article. including the images and examples you used.

It's awesome that you're helping beginners by teaching cool new techniques that you've found, and even putting your own spin on the scribble cel is great.. but you shouldn't say in the flashwiki article that you devised this technique. Giving due credit for your sources will make you a more reputable article/tutorial writer ;)

Nice work with the Mario-style waterfall btw!