wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-24 03:08:27 Reply

!!!UPDATE!!!
The PS3 1.50 firmware has just been released at 3 AM EST (12 AM PST) for North American users.

I'm downloading it as I speak, and will share with you the updates for American models.

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-24 03:17:04 Reply

How good is the PS3 in comparrison with the X-Box 360 spec wise? I'm planning to buy a second next gen console and I'm having a hard time deciding which one.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-24 03:25:03 Reply

At 1/24/07 03:17 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: How good is the PS3 in comparrison with the X-Box 360 spec wise? I'm planning to buy a second next gen console and I'm having a hard time deciding which one.

I honestly could not tell you for several reasons.

1) I don't own a 360, nor have I ever even played one.
2) There's apparently a new version coming out that spec-wise, will be on par (if not better) than the PS3.

I say look into the games that you like. Chances are you'll find the better games in the 360. And since the Xbox literally does everything the PS3 does entertainment-wise (other than Linux), they're moreless the same as PS2 v. Xbox.

As for the update I mentioned previously; it's a dud. Basically everything I mentioned was updated and nothing more. So March will be the better time for an update.

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-24 03:32:30 Reply

At 1/24/07 03:25 AM, wwwyzzerdd wrote:
At 1/24/07 03:17 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: How good is the PS3 in comparrison with the X-Box 360 spec wise? I'm planning to buy a second next gen console and I'm having a hard time deciding which one.
I honestly could not tell you for several reasons.

1) I don't own a 360, nor have I ever even played one.
2) There's apparently a new version coming out that spec-wise, will be on par (if not better) than the PS3.

I say look into the games that you like. Chances are you'll find the better games in the 360. And since the Xbox literally does everything the PS3 does entertainment-wise (other than Linux), they're moreless the same as PS2 v. Xbox.

Hhhhmmm. The reason I ask is I'm considering if to get a PS3 or a Nintendo Wii and I'm struggling to decide. While the Nintendo Wii is cheap, I haven't heard much about the PS3 so that could be a thousand times better.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-26 02:48:46 Reply

I ran into a neat little feature that I'm positive will turn into something huge (especially on Newgrounds).

Source

The folks at dcemu have compiled an installer pack so you can use your PS3's SIXAXIS controller on the computer via USB port. And all it takes is 5 easy steps

1. Download and install the filter driver (libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1.exe).
2. Unpack ps3sixaxis_en.exe
3. Plug the SIXAXIS into your PC.
4. Run ps3sixaxis_en.exe once.
5. Push the PS button on the SIXAXIS once if it doesn't see it straight away.

Now it will not just work out of the blue, so you won't be able to use the analog sticks as a mouse just yet. Now, open up your control panel in Windows, select "Printers And Other Hardware," select "Game Controllers," and you should see the PS3 controller listed.

From the menu, if you click "Properties," you can test out the controller and see all of the buttons.

Button 1 - Select Button
Button 2 - L3
Button 3 - R3
Button 4 - Start Button
Button 5 - Digital Up
Button 6 - Digital Right
Button 7 - Digital Down
Button 8 - Digital Left
Button 9 - L2
Button 10 - R2
Button 11 - L1
Button 12 - R1
Button 13 - Triangle
Button 14 - Circle
Button 15 - X
Button 16 - Square
Button 17 - PS Button
Button 18 - ???
Button 19 - ???

The only drawback is that the SIXAXIS functions are not recognized yet (I'm sure a quick patch will fix that in the future). I've heard people so far say that the controller can be used on various emulation software (brbfbi). So far, I haven't seen anyone list what the keystrokes register as. If that information is known, then this means that anyone can create a PS3-compatible Flash game! I'll keep you all updated on this, as this surely promises to be huge.

BBS Signature
PyroGreg
PyroGreg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Programmer
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-26 02:50:35 Reply

Why did you post an angry face

Marsupial
Marsupial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-26 16:21:15 Reply

At 1/26/07 02:50 AM, Hornby wrote: Why did you post an angry face

He always posts with angry faces. It's his trademark. Nice info wyz. Something to keep in mind...

cos shotgun bullets are bad for yo health.
{+}dA{-}LASTFM
paypal

BBS Signature
Tonsil-Hockey
Tonsil-Hockey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Filmmaker
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-26 16:23:57 Reply

Just curious, what games are set to be out due for launch date, as konami, namco and many others have moved off to WII/360 teratory, meaning no snake for sony.

BBS Signature
Jedabaza
Jedabaza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-01-27 22:52:53 Reply

Just popping in to say that in a quite ironic statement; that this control emulates VERY well on the PC. I've been using it on Project 64 (N64 Emu) to play Super Smash Brothers (original) and a plethora of other games. THANKS FOR HELPING ME WYZERD :D

This is artistic expression.

wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:05:16 Reply

A couple of things to announce.

1) As I stated in these topics, MyResistance.net, a site dedicated to Resistance players is up. Full forum, stat monitoring, and unlockable extras for multiplayer! Sign up!

2) Recently, Firmware 1.51 was released. Oddly enough, it seemed to be released right when the hacker community announced that an ISO loader for the PS3 (which allows you to boot homebrews and pirated games) was almost ready, along with an external hyperdrive (that would allow you to copy and save even PS3 games to the drive). However, I'm already hearing people say that they're encountering problems with it. Some people even saying that their system freezes when they go to play a game. You could always NOT upgrade, but Sony is really dicking us. In order to use ANY online features, you MUST download the update. So your options really are as followed.

a) Lay off the online play until a fix comes along.
b) Try to update, and see if you have any issues.

BBS Signature
living-daylights
living-daylights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:09:00 Reply

At 1/4/07 08:20 PM, bigbadron wrote: i'll ban for off topic comments. how long? it's a surprise.

Fucking christ like god damn mexicon police force corupted as shit

BlackPlastic
BlackPlastic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:10:45 Reply

At 1/20/07 09:42 PM, meatyhead wrote: What games to buy for the PS3?

Resistance....
and.....
madden?

resistance, ridge racer, marvel ultimate aliance, and fight night round 3. And soon virtua fighter and motorstorm. Not madden.

BBS Signature
SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:13:42 Reply

I was looking into the PS3 the other day, and I only found really one PS3 exclusive game that interested me, Resistance the Fall of Man.

Can someone list some other high rated games that are good that are coming out for the PS3 only? If I'm going to get a system I need games that interest me.

BlackPlastic
BlackPlastic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:21:09 Reply

At 2/2/07 03:13 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: I was looking into the PS3 the other day, and I only found really one PS3 exclusive game that interested me, Resistance the Fall of Man.

Can someone list some other high rated games that are good that are coming out for the PS3 only? If I'm going to get a system I need games that interest me.

Motorstorm, MGS4, DMC, Lair

BBS Signature
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:33:00 Reply

At 2/2/07 03:13 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: I was looking into the PS3 the other day, and I only found really one PS3 exclusive game that interested me, Resistance the Fall of Man.

Most of the exclusive games are going to get released towards the middle and end of the year, or even next year (GTA 4, MGS 4, Gran Turismo 5, The Getaway). Some other games, like Unreal Tournament 2007, Saints Row, and Half-Life are scheduled to be ported.

Resistance is pretty fun. If you were to get it plus another game or two (the Motorstorm demo I have is pretty fun), that should hold you down until August when at least one of those games should be out.

BBS Signature
SlipperyMooseCakes
SlipperyMooseCakes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-02-02 15:57:21 Reply

At 2/2/07 03:33 PM, wwwyzzerdd wrote:
Most of the exclusive games are going to get released towards the middle and end of the year, or even next year (GTA 4, MGS 4, Gran Turismo 5, The Getaway). Some other games, like Unreal Tournament 2007, Saints Row, and Half-Life are scheduled to be ported.

I heard GTA 4 was going to be released on the 360 as well.

Metal Gear Solid 4: GUNS of the Patriots looks insane. Snake has really gotten old.

Grand Turismo 5 looks alright, But it wouldn't be a reason that I would buy a console. The Getaway looks detailed, but not too much fun.

As for UT 20067, Saints Row and Half-Life are all 360 as well as far as my understanding, as you said.

So the one so far that I'm really impressed with is Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance: Fall of Man.

Not bad I suppose.

wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-16 22:29:52 Reply

According to a rumor (therefore, don't take everything that I'm posting as the truth for now); there's an apparent leak in the new features that will be added to the PS3 in the future with the upcoming 2.00 Firmware update. No word on when to expect the update, but whenever a firmware version skips whole numbers rather than decimals, it's a huge update.

The biggest rumors are the apparent support of wallpapers, custom PS3 Online Avatars, and even access to the XMB (Xross Media Bar) during gameplay. Just with that, the PS3 will finally have a feature similar to the 360's Dashboard feature, which allows players to access chat, media, and settings while in game.

Here's the full list of apparent updates. Remember; this is all just rumored for now.

Users
* You can now password-protect user accounts.

Settings
* [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
* [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
* [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
* [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
* [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
* [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
* [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
* [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
* [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
* The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
* [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
* [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].

Photo
* Additional slideshows have been added.
* [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
* Wallpaper feature has been added.
* [Zoom] has been added as a feature.

Music
* Additional visualizations have been added.
* CD information can now be entered.
* Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.

Video
* Files can now be played sequentially.
* Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
* You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.

Game
* Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
* XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.

Network
* [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.

Friends
* You can now have multiple chat sessions.
* You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].

Other
* Date & Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
* File sorting has been changed.
* [Help] has been added as a feature.
* Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
* [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
* Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

I'll be sure to verify this as soon as official word from Sony comes out.

BBS Signature
Abyssus
Abyssus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-20 14:21:44 Reply

Does Home or Little Big Planet, or even Pain, have an exact release yet? There's a load of bull-shit on some websites, and I heard it was Christmas..But i'm not sure.

HeavyMetalHarry
HeavyMetalHarry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-20 14:26:57 Reply

At 1/7/07 01:23 AM, EtchASketchClock wrote: I am getting a PS3 when the price drops a bit.
Might be a while though. :(

Same. It looks amazing, but its just too expensdive.

Thanks for the tips. I dont have a ps3 though. So yeah.

wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-20 15:31:05 Reply

At 5/20/07 02:21 PM, Abyssus wrote: Does Home or Little Big Planet, or even Pain, have an exact release yet? There's a load of bull-shit on some websites, and I heard it was Christmas..But i'm not sure.

Home - (approx. beta date) October 2007.
Little Big Planet - (estimated) early 2008
Pain - Unknown (I've heard Christmas as well).

I think you're right; these all sound like Christmas releases; which would make sense so that they would sell.

BBS Signature
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-23 19:00:26 Reply

At 5/16/07 10:29 PM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: According to a rumor (therefore, don't take everything that I'm posting as the truth for now); there's an apparent leak in the new features that will be added to the PS3 in the future with the upcoming 2.00 Firmware update. No word on when to expect the update, but whenever a firmware version skips whole numbers rather than decimals, it's a huge update.

Cancel that; apparently this news came as a hoax. However, do expect an update coming tomorrow. Firmware 1.80.

The biggest addition to this version is HD upscaling. The PS3 will now be able to automatically update DVD quality all the way to full HD support (1080p). Even PS1 and PS2 games will be upscaled. I wonder if in theory, some of the games out for PS3 now that only hit 720p could be upscaled?

In addition to 1080p HD upscaling, users will now have the ability to view images, listen to music, and play videos over a local network from any supported DLNA3 device; PC, laptop, etc.

Firmware 1.80 truly packs a punch with further enhancements made to its “Remote Play” functionality… PSP & PS3 owners can now access their slick console from anywhere in the world, providing you have a broadband connection and PSP firmware 3.50 (available at the end of May). *Sniff* Do I smell 3.50 OE?! ;)

Last, but not least… Well, sort of… 1.80 includes the ability to print photos directly from the PS3 to a selection of Epson printers, via the USB connection.
http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2007/05/23/ps3-firmw are-180-due-out-tomorrow/

More than likely, "tomorrow" will mean 3AM EST (12AM PST) this morning. Remember; you have to update in order to get online (multiplayer, PSN, etc.).

BBS Signature
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-26 09:52:57 Reply

Firmware 1.80 details
http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/upd ates/PS3_180_update.html

Upscaling game or DVD output
* You can now upscale the video content of PlayStation® format software, PlayStation®2 format software, and DVDs to HD resolution.

Copying saved data to a memory cardb
* You can now copy saved data from PlayStation® format software and PlayStation®2 format software to a memory card or a memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2).

Using the DLNA client feature
* You can now display images or play music or video files that are stored on a personal computer or digital video recorder with DLNA Media Server functionality over a network.

Printing Images
* You can now connect a USB printer to print images.

Using remote play outside the home (via the Internet)
* You can now use remote play over the Internet.

Other new or revised features in version 1.80:
* Settings
o [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [BD/DVD Settings].
o [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
o [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
o [Bitmapping (Super Audio CD)] has been added as an option under [Music Settings].
o The [Test Camera] option under [Accessory Settings] has been changed to [Camera Device Settings].
o [Printer Settings] has been added.
o [Media Server Connection] has been added as an option under [Network Settings]

* Music
o You can now edit CD information.

* Photo
o A new type of slideshow display pattern has been added.
o You can now use zoom display for images.
o You can now trim images.

* Video
o Super-White and x.v.Color output are now supported.
o Downscaled output of Blu-ray Discs is now supported. When 720p is selected as the video output setting of the PS3™ system, Blu-ray Discs that were recorded in 1080p or 1080i resolution can be played in 720p resolution.

* Game
o You can now move copy-prohibited saved data for PlayStation® format software and PlayStation®2 format software to a PS3™ system.

* Network
o The options menu items under [Download Management] have been changed.

* Friends
o [Display Photo] has been added to the voice / video chat options menu.

BBS Signature
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-26 11:45:36 Reply

One of the bigger features now available is the implementation of DLNA connection. DLNA, or UPnP, allows for you to connect to other devices and share files. Not just can you listen to music and view video and photos, you can also use this to transfer files from your computer (a real timesaver compared to having to use DVD-Rs, flash media, etc.).

The first thing you have to do is enable a connection between the computer and PS3. Things you'll need:

* Home Network (wired/wireless)
* Digital Media Server (DMS) software

Various programs can be used to stream files. Windows PCs come with DMS compatable software. Windows Media Player 11 utilizes use of Windows Media Connect. Instructions on how to set up a connection through WMP 11 can be found here.

Also; a list of other UPnP clients.

On the PS3 side; all you need to do is go to either Photos, Music, or Movies, and select "Search For Media Servers." (pic) The system will scan for any other devices on the network and will inform you when one is found. After the connection is made, a link will be available under each media menu. (pic). Just select the connection, and any compatable file located in your Documents folder will appear.

Bit of a warning though; when I say any file in your documents folder appears, I mean ANY file.

<_< >_>

If you try this and experience any issues; post them and I'll see if I can solve your issue.

BBS Signature
Xragon
Xragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-26 11:47:38 Reply

I'm curious, has anyone been able to set the background to a picture like you can do on the PSP or is that not available yet?

wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-26 11:48:41 Reply

At 5/26/07 11:47 AM, Xragon wrote: I'm curious, has anyone been able to set the background to a picture like you can do on the PSP or is that not available yet?

That feature isn't available yet.

BBS Signature
iateamexican
iateamexican
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-26 12:00:35 Reply

Resistance....
and.....
madden?

I bought Resistance and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The online feature is pretty good and its quite largely replayable.

BBS Signature
Abyssus
Abyssus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to All You Need To Know For The Ps3 2007-05-26 12:03:49 Reply

At 5/26/07 12:00 PM, iateamexican wrote:

Resistance....
and.....
madden?
I bought Resistance and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The online feature is pretty good and its quite largely replayable.

Much so. The new update may not seem liek much, but ti's capable of upscaling PS1 and PS2 games, which is great.

Also, join the PS3 lounge in my sig.