00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

22,678 Views | 230 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

+++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-04 18:36:22

Yet another personal art thread! I have been seeing many users do this, and have been gaining valuable criticism and help on their art performance! I know the BBS may not always be the best place to get great advice on most things, but for art it seems invaluable! So please comment, critique and enjoy!

I have been trying to do at least 2 hours of tablet work everyday, so i may not have a new picture every day like most, but i will do my best to pump out some decent pieces when i can!

This first one was done for the Creature of the Week #9, Christmas Monsters thread.

Photoshop, Wacom Intuos3, about 3 hours.

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-04 20:45:48

This is my what i have so far for today with my sketching. I have been playing quite a bit of Final Fantasy VII, and want to create my own Cloud Rip-off sort of character. I am still trying to get the anatomy right, while doing my lineart layer on top of this. Comments would be helpful :)

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-05 16:20:06

At 1/4/07 09:01 PM, Snakeskull3000 wrote: Hell, your art is a lot better than mine.

Thank you :) As modest as you are, if you have any tips i would greatly appreciate it!

Anyway, i have decided that this character, dubbed "Edge" will be an ongoing work of mine for about an hour a day, while i spend the other hour fiddling around doing other pieces, so i can get some more stuff in here.

For today, i have done the line art in the past hour, and i am currently adding details. Suggestions on how to increase the bad-assery of the character would be awesome!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-05 18:14:22

At 1/5/07 05:30 PM, Gmagnum wrote: Danm AwesomeSaurus, that art sure is awesome! :D

Thanks G! Great coming from you because i respect your works and creativity! I have seen many a Gmagnum the great work floating around this forum and i thank you for the complement!
And Snake too once again! I am working on a face right now, dont know if i should go manga style or realistic..

Heres a quick pic i alotted 30 minutes to do. Wanted to practice hair and blending, but forgot the rely on a light source. There are many things i still need to improve on.. MANY!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-05 18:18:19

Well, the first image looks alot like a chirstmas card...

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-05 18:20:27

At 1/5/07 06:18 PM, Acerbic wrote: Well, the first image looks alot like a chirstmas card...

haha yeah, it was done for the christmas creature of the week! Would make a pretty freaky Xmas card though!

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-06 03:59:44

yeah i have no idea where this 15 minuter came from, its late so i have no clue....

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-07 18:43:48

At 1/7/07 04:21 PM, Snakeskull3000 wrote:

That's Good practice on faces. What program did you use to make that? It kinda looks like artpad.

They have all been photoshop so far. I used the Brush set that came with my Wacom at a low opacity level, just like you can do in artpad!

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-07 19:31:58

My name is better than yours.

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-07 19:59:53

At 1/7/07 07:30 PM, ultim8dude wrote:
Maby you should make the sword a little smaller, and instead add more details to it?

well, i love the idea of the huge ass sword, it just looks cool, but i have added some different details, and when i finally color it it will obviously be more detailed. Thanks for the critique though, i appreciate it!

oh and awesome-O-saurus... or cough**A-P**cough COUGH** my names better :)

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-07 20:36:19

At 1/7/07 07:59 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote:
At 1/7/07 07:30 PM, ultim8dude wrote:
well, i love the idea of the huge ass sword, it just looks cool, but i have added some different details, and when i finally color it it will obviously be more detailed. Thanks for the critique though, i appreciate it!

The face looks creepy :\

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-09 00:16:42

At 1/7/07 08:36 PM, misterdog wrote:
The face looks creepy :\

indeed it does! i was just outlining where i want to put the facial features, but it does kinda creep me out too! And when i looked at the face after your comment, i noticed the neck was a bit too wide, so thank you misterdog!

Heres just an idea i had, i enjoy using only white and black and messing with the opacity levels!

photoshop cs2 about 25 mins.

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-09 00:42:52

At 1/9/07 12:16 AM, AwesomeSaurus wrote:
indeed it does! i was just outlining where i want to put the facial features, but it does kinda creep me out too! And when i looked at the face after your comment, i noticed the neck was a bit too wide, so thank you misterdog!

I just meant it was out of proportion -.- too small for the head :)

Heres just an idea i had, i enjoy using only white and black and messing with the opacity levels!

photoshop cs2 about 25 mins.

Lol,
AWESOME zipper.

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-09 17:22:42

heh, i am real sorry about that but i couldn't resist and had some fun with your character, not angry, right? it s just a joke :D

+++Art of the Saurus+++

my furry stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-10 09:49:24

At 1/5/07 04:20 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: For today, i have done the line art in the past hour, and i am currently adding details. Suggestions on how to increase the bad-assery of the character would be awesome!

the shoes man! the shoes!!

they look like those dutch wooden shoes...
just make them look cooler

BBS Signature

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-10 09:54:55

At 1/10/07 09:49 AM, brainsss wrote:
the shoes man! the shoes!!

hmm, i believe you are right. I was going for a wacky high toe point look, but i think i might just do a thick giant sneaker sort, ill try it out a bit later. Thanks for pointing this out!

Havanayou, thanks for the pic! It made me chuckle a little bit. No need to apologize, you cannot stop inspiration when you have it :p

also, do you think i should color it in photoshop, or cell shade it flash style?

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 01:16:13

At 1/13/07 09:34 PM, Snakeskull3000 wrote: You must be painting that picture now huh Saurus?

haha! right you are my friend! i hadnt had too much time on it though, being as i had to pack up and travel back to school! Thanks for keeping an eye on me snake!

i have layed down some base color now, but still havent fixed the eyes, i think ill save that for last :)

Also, trying something new with the shoes, hope you think it fits better!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 17:38:38

well, today i added some shading, changed around some things with the hair, finally added eyes 0_0!! and started off with a background...

anyone have a cool last name for Edge? would be quite helpful!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 17:43:14

Make the shirt slightly tattered and give him a battle scar.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM.

Thank you CagedSilhoutte for the sexy ass sig!

BBS Signature

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 17:44:32

At 1/17/07 05:43 PM, Russ3ll wrote: Make the shirt slightly tattered and give him a battle scar.

hmm, i definitly like the scar idea. I think if i was to tatter up the shirt, ill have to make it more loose fitting... ill mess around with it! Thanks for the ideas!

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 19:51:55

Wow, you are really an awesome drawer. You should really make an animation with Edge in it. I would enjoy watching it.

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 20:58:13

At 1/17/07 07:51 PM, Killer-DuK wrote: Wow, you are really an awesome drawer. You should really make an animation with Edge in it. I would enjoy watching it.

i can make very crappy flash animations, as you can see from those that i have put through the portal in my profile, but if i perhaps scale it down a bit on the detail, and get a badass story line, ill see what i can do! :)

Snakeskull: this is what i put in the linky you gave me... ive been drawing all day, (have to draw 100 coffee cups in a week) so i only spent like 30 mins on it! thanks for leading me to that thread though!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 21:40:07

heres what i did for COW # 10, a snow riding animal

i present to you... the SnowSkate!

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 23:31:04

Well here it finally is!! After a solid 6 hours of work today, and who knows how much beforehand, i have finally finished this piece! You have seen it from start to finish on this thread, and given very helpful comments! My very first start to finish character that i actually put a ton of effort into!

EDGE

+++Art of the Saurus+++

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 23:32:39

At 1/17/07 11:31 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote:
EDGE

awesome...... and congrats on page 2! i think i've seen a similar pic somewhere before, though......

BBS Signature

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 23:35:59

At 1/17/07 11:32 PM, LTmatt wrote:
At 1/17/07 11:31 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote:
EDGE
awesome...... and congrats on page 2! i think i've seen a similar pic somewhere before, though......

hopefully from my first page haha, i really did not use anything as a reference except the shoes i looked at a manga art book.. But thank you very much!

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 23:39:21

At 1/9/07 05:22 PM, Havayosunu wrote: heh, i am real sorry about that but i couldn't resist and had some fun with your character, not angry, right? it s just a joke :D

Sounds a lot like Largo from Megatokyo...

Most Recent Flash I Voiced In! (UPDATED 6/1/11)

Most Recent Outside Project Voiced In! (UPDATED 2/5/12)

Add me on Skype: NGsonicmega

BBS Signature

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-17 23:41:34

At 1/17/07 11:39 PM, sonicmega wrote:
At 1/9/07 05:22 PM, Havayosunu wrote: heh, i am real sorry about that but i couldn't resist and had some fun with your character, not angry, right? it s just a joke :D
Sounds a lot like Largo from Megatokyo...

I am slightly confused. As cool as that comic thingy is, he doesnt really resemble my character? You meant Havayosunu's joke with the finger? I thought it was pretty funny :)

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-18 04:45:52

Your first picture has very good detail on the fur gloves and the wooden arms. You can actually feel the materials of them. The horse bottom, however does not have as much detail, and at second glance, it's not very clear on what it is. The blur effect looks like a blur, and not the fuzzy hair of an animal, so much so that it sort of blends into the background. Judging from the texture of the gloves and arms, you're probably capable of making it possible.

I think that your human drawing needs the most work in the face. You got the basic proportions in place. Now, you need to make the face a little more "3D". Even anime drawings make their human figures give a 3D feel to the figure to add a more human feel to the character. The chin and the jawline are too pointy and don't give the feel of a real jaw. The eyes need to give the impression that a round eyeball is underneath the skin. Right now, it's flat on a flat face. One way to improve is to study an artbook from any anime (though not stylized ones like Crayon Shin-chan or Milk-chan) and watch how they shadow certain parts of the face and add lines to make it more 3D. Or you could study an actual face and map out the dips an curves of your own face.

Response to +++Art of the Saurus+++ 2007-01-18 13:43:25

At 1/18/07 04:45 AM, Marcato wrote: great info!

Thank you very much! I kind of noticed the failure to have detail on the "reindeer" body. I think it was because i doubled the layers on it, and didnt really concentrate too much on the details. I will definitly work on that!

As for the face... :( i know that is one of my problems. Lighting and shading on the human body is tricky stuff for me. Luckily i am taking figure drawing this semester to improve! I really didn't expose the facial structure like a real human face. With my next piece i will take your information into heavy consideration! Thank you so much for the critique!