New Topic Respond to this Topic
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 28th, 2006 @ 04:20 PM Reply

im starting a new pic of illidan inspired by the newish Burning crusade cinematic movie(frome the warcraft universe)...soon as i saw the ending of that movie i new i had to draw him in that pose...so over the next week or so in my spare time im gonna be putting together this pic and i will be posting screenshots of the progress so everyone can see how it was done..and you may learn something out of it too ill add comments about how i did it and blah de blah....

so lets get this show on the road

first of all i watched the movie ending over and over to get a good feel of what this character looked like.....i even looked for screen shots of him to better see his form etc.

i layed down a rough body shape using blocks that best fit his figure...at this point i was looking back at the movie ever 2 minutes....some will say its copying...and ur right it is...becasue i want to get the shape just right because he looks so cool.

any way after the rough shapes i started a new layer and began sketching in the outline and details such as mouth muscles etc...

my next step will be the creation of a background see you soon.#

-------------------------------------
drawn with: Wacom Tablet drawn in: Photoshop cs2

Razacs project - Illidan

BBS Signature
MeMB
MeMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 28th, 2006 @ 04:47 PM Reply

Pretty damn awesome. It looks like it's done in pencil, how did you get that effect? Also, it looks like the wings are a tad bit high. They should be coming from his shoulderblades, right?

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 28th, 2006 @ 05:01 PM Reply

lol noted but the movie had em up quite high i guess they continue downwards but u cant see it.....final drawn version....ill make it look correct

as for the pencil effect its just a 1 pixel brush with 20% opacity

heres what i was thinking as a back ground.....i might not use it in the final version might see if i can do a better one....but im liking the idea of the light passing thru his wings with some HDR bloom going on around the edges of his body

i did the background by grabbing photos of clouds off the web composing them changing the colour and light values and blending them together....some ppl will do this and put a filter on it and smudge it around a bit and say its drawn....but no quite alot of backgrounds are made using photographs...its just easier if you dont have access to a powerfull 3D tool, but there are of course people who general do draw their backgrounds and they turn out better than this one....so i may in the end draw my own......but this is to give you an idea of what i was going for.

i would like any suggestions on backgrounds....like if ppl know the warcraft universe....what illidan would most likely be in front of...

Razacs project - Illidan

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 07:36 AM Reply

hey there here i have started to do some colouring....quite pleased with how its turned out so far. obviously got a bit to go yet...might get some more done today.

method used:

all i did was lay done a base colour, between the light and dark colours i was about to use

for the shadows i selected a size 5 hard brush set at 5% opacity and began painting in short strokes overlapping each other to get a nice even texture (i do shadows on a different layer)
if the shading is too messy i either start again or use the smudge tool on about 20%-40% strength and smoothen the roughage out.

as for the highlights i select a colour thats slighty brighter on the scale than the base and shadow.....this just gives the tones a nicer look, and saves them from looking flat,

for the finer details i used a 1 pixel brush 20% opacity and started carefully sketching in details around the face and horns etc.

until next time

Razacs project - Illidan

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 09:24 AM Reply

At 12/28/06 05:01 PM, Razac wrote: i would like any suggestions on backgrounds....like if ppl know the warcraft universe....what illidan would most likely be in front of...

It's a powerful image, I wouldn't wreck it by putting him in front of anything more defined than clouds, to be fair.
You may want blasted land mountains, or elf citadel, but i'd keep them to a bare minimum, prob even just silhouettes.

Keep going, I'd like to see your thinking

BBS Signature
fuzz
fuzz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 09:57 AM Reply

Beautifull.

EternalDescent
EternalDescent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 10:59 AM Reply

Fantastic work, cant wait to see it progress!

Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 11:47 AM Reply

i might try it on different back grounds ...lol and ill give a transparent copy of the character to any one else who wants to try a back ground...:) i would like to see them

BBS Signature
Acerbic
Acerbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 12:36 PM Reply

It looks fucking amazing at the moment dude, can't wait untill its completed :D

Piclownjews
Piclownjews
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 03:23 PM Reply

holy crap

these look nice!

awesomez0rs.

Neil Armstrong was a gay buttfucking crocodile.

BBS Signature
SardonicSamurai
SardonicSamurai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 03:42 PM Reply

Very good! I love your work! I just recently got a wacom tablet, so I can't wait to get to your skill level =D

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Dec. 31st, 2006 @ 06:14 PM Reply

lol cool...and thank u.....i might do some more tonight actually expect an update soonish.

and as for the back ground i like the blasted mountains idea might try it.......less light in the cloud i reckon too

BBS Signature
MeMB
MeMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 1st, 2007 @ 01:56 PM Reply

The cloud are pretty awesome, but they are indeed a tad bit light. Also, seeing how the clouds are composed of photographs, and thus 'real', I think that the drawing will not really fit in. Just a thought. Ofcourse, should you host a little 'background' contest, I would certainly enter. Anyway, very nice so far, I love the colouring. Only the horns look a bit strangely formed. Some of the 'parts' it's composed of are a bit too thick on the sides. Other than that, outstanding job. If you can do the bloomy lighting this will become a guaranteed awesomeness piece. Great job.

BBS Signature
Buffalow
Buffalow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 1st, 2007 @ 04:59 PM Reply

Well it depends on where you want him. If you want a nice dark scene, try a dark ocean like in the opening sequence of Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne. If you want a World of Warcraft storyline reference, try a red desert wasteland with a very, very dark sky (Outland).

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature
ShitOnMyShoes
ShitOnMyShoes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 3rd, 2007 @ 02:40 AM Reply

At 1/1/07 01:56 PM, MeMB wrote: The cloud are pretty awesome, but they are indeed a tad bit light. Also, seeing how the clouds are composed of photographs, and thus 'real', I think that the drawing will not really fit in.

I thought those clouds were photshopped?

Barack Obama kills Dumbledore.

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 3rd, 2007 @ 10:59 AM Reply

I did the picture like that to mainly get the idea on paper because it takes minutes to throw a background like like that together, but drawing one takes more time.

but i have decided to draw the background instead....i hafta work on my background painting skills.......of which i have none lol

BBS Signature
Dark-Spark
Dark-Spark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 3rd, 2007 @ 12:21 PM Reply

woah shartszlesticks you're amazing at coloring O_O i need to start using something other than flash

MeMB
MeMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 7th, 2007 @ 12:01 PM Reply

At 1/3/07 02:40 AM, ShitOnMyShoes wrote:
I thought those clouds were photshopped?

Well, technically they are, but as I said, it's composed of photographs. Meaning he grabbed a bunch of cloud pictures and blended them in, and coloured them abit and stuff like that. So it looks photorealistic.

BBS Signature
ThePsychoSheep
ThePsychoSheep
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 7th, 2007 @ 12:15 PM Reply

Nice only i think that the blades are a bit small

I think something smart has to be written in here but im too dumb to think it up
Click signature for my DeviantArt

BBS Signature
s1nt3ch
s1nt3ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 7th, 2007 @ 12:53 PM Reply

i like it i use almost the same techniques for pain

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 08:00 PM Reply

sorry for the long delay....i just did some more colouring.....i know the feet suck at the mo they will be re done, i just put those hooves there just as a temp thing...i need to know what his feet actually look like lol

Razacs project - Illidan

BBS Signature
ultim8dude
ultim8dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Wow! ure amaxing! how do u draw like that?

Check out TreeJumper at here

1337brandcrackers
1337brandcrackers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 08:18 PM Reply

Holy hell! This is godly....

Save the world from ourselves.

BBS Signature
Razac
Razac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 11th, 2007 @ 08:20 PM Reply

hmm........... i dont know.... XD

i just move my hand and stuff like that appears : \ its quite creepy....sumetimes its like im in a trance and can be in the same position for 30 mins with just my hand moving

plus i see my pics in pixel form...quite literally.....i zoom right in just smudging pixels around burning and dodging them to make a certain feature look good : |

BBS Signature
Shiny-15
Shiny-15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 04:30 AM Reply

Man - I just finished Warcraft III and it was great - and after converting the intro movie - it struck -

Jesus, that looks real

Great Job!

BornConsumeDie
BornConsumeDie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 04:39 AM Reply

its looking great so far, but just a note the abs arentas defined as "i" feel they should be, but hey, WIP heh? Im lovng it

...Kilroy was here

BBS Signature
TjA
TjA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 05:44 AM Reply

yeah illidan has hooves, his wings come from his lower back and his tattoos are now a metallic green. The picture is looking good though id use a low saturated purple since thats the colour used for illidan. hope this info helps good luck

BBS Signature
TomAzza
TomAzza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 08:15 AM Reply

holy shit.
no really...holy fucking shit

your really amazing...and you one ofthe few who actually say how they've done it...

i sir, am your fan

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??
nothing but stardust

BBS Signature
TomAzza
TomAzza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 08:21 AM Reply

one thing i forgot to say.

the background you've posted is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen...but...to my mind the background and Illidan are in 2 different styles and even if the idea of it is awesome...i think he wouldnt blend perfectly in it...i might be wrong, but you might want to try it... although having played warcraft and loving it i think it really suits him...

even though you could try something like the frozen throne as a background...you know monsrous glaciers and stuff...

anyway keep it up i really really want to see it finished!

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??
nothing but stardust

BBS Signature
Bl00dRedKnife
Bl00dRedKnife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Razacs project - Illidan Jan. 12th, 2007 @ 08:56 AM Reply

Damn, you're a legend.

I worship you now. >:[