00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Horror Films These Days

2,613 Views | 49 Replies

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 19:55:44

Horror movies are solely made to make shit pop out, particularly aimed at 12 year olds who want to look brave in front of their pubescent friends.

Old horror movies were made to make you think about what you saw at night. You know, to the point where you become paranoid about sleeping.

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 21:42:27

At 1/24/07 07:55 PM, All-Hallows wrote: I heard Hostel was just disgusting and not scary.

I like the Saw movies but I wasn't really scared. I maybe went, "ew, that's gross."

Gore, and death is what makes horror movies so good.

DemonCole: Owner of the UFC Club

Co-owner of the: Horror club

Member of the YuYu Hakusho club, anime club, dbz club, Elder Scrolls Oblivion faction, and the Weird Al club

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 21:45:50

one of the great horror movies of 2006!

Cold Prey ( or in norway Fritt Villt)
check it out, even though it is norwegian,
it has subtitles you know :P

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 21:55:03

The thing that makes a horror movie good is when it has a lot of ideas or even an entire plot that is totally different than anything ever seen before. The Exorcist was like that when it came out: it was shocking because it had a story and scenes in it that literally made people sick because they hadnt seen anything like it before. like the scene where she is bridging it backwards down the stairs and she starts projectile-vomiting blood everywhere..... yeah, that right there is some QUALITY VIEWING (sarcasm not intended).
Even The Shining, which was based off a book, had some crazy and freaky scenes in it (ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY)
But horror movies have definetly gone down in quality..... i have seen almost all the classic and almost all the new ones (Hostel is disgusting and disturbing and not a horror movie kind of way, more in a fetish kind of way) and the new ones may have some genuinely unique and freaky scenes but they are mostly just startle-scares.
Here are some of the best horrror movies i've seen: The Shining, The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Final Destination movies (hahaha coudnt help putting those), The Saw movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
okay, i'm done. sorry, scary movies are kinda my thing.....

Pincushion Queen gets back from Hell on August 19th!

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 21:56:45

sorry for the double post but i just want to say The Hills Have Eyes was the nastiest, most disturbing and unnecessary piece of crap i have ever seen. It has nothing going for it but a good name.

Pincushion Queen gets back from Hell on August 19th!

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 21:57:28

all horror films now a days have just turned into gore fests.

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 22:01:44

Movies in general have stopped trying, we're getting the same fucking shit,

1. The Serial Killer movie: bad man cuts people up, you see blood, you scream, you give the filmakers money.
2. The Horror Movie: Children, limbs, twitchy things, whatever if it looks odd then most likely it'll be covered in white powder and move at you in a creepy manor. OH NOES!
3. The Fucking Awful souless comedy that wont survive a year: Fuck the filmakers of these, of all the shit out there, we get this too!?

This year has had some good stuff though, The Departed, Pan's Labyrinth, Children of Men, Babel, The Fountain, The Prestige, Letters from Iwo Jimma, and the like. Thank god for established directors.

Burn the land and boil the sea

You can't take the sky from me

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 22:09:22

I think the horror movies that are just slashers (Friday the 13th) suck. I'm not even sure if slashers count as horrors. Horror movies need a good story line too and not just killing.

My smash code is 0258-9960-0246

Some moron from my school jumping over a car

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 22:54:16

Ya they suck, but the whole Saw series is still really good in my opinion. They aren't really scary, but they kinda make you think, although the 2nd one required next to no though, and the third was a bit too gorey and repetitive, they are still the best recent ones we've had.

Nothing compares to The Shining though, the greatest horror movie of all time, and when Jack Nicholson's character starts going crazy he really looks a lot like my Social teacher...

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 23:02:36

There's good horror films these days.

But they rarely if ever go to theatres.

I like Saw. But its a slasher film. Scary? No. Icky? Yes. Well written? Surprisingly yes.

But if you're looking for films that actually will keep you from sleeping you need to look up smaller films. Ones that dont get into theatres.
But not crap like "Dark Harvest" lol evil scarecrow suck my balls.

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 23:03:45

hey DasChimp, is Pans Labyrinth any good?
i was thinking of wathing it since its gonna be on the cinemas here in norway soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-24 23:06:58

I will agree with you on children's songs being used in horror movies being over used. I thought it it was kind of clever the first time I saw it because it turns something very innocent into something disturbing which, in theory, can make things seem more scary. After I saw it the second time though, I was over it. They seem to be particularly fond of "I'm a Little Tea Pot" and "Ring Around the Rosy." I suppose the latter does make some sense considering its origin...

As far as modern horror movies go, I blieve Saw is heading in the right direction. Psychological horror is much scarrier than physical horror which is found in all the classic slashers. I wouldn't expect that many good horror movies to come out anytime soon though. Maybe one a year if that.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 13:36:33

At 1/24/07 09:57 PM, TheDepthsofHell wrote: all horror films now a days have just turned into gore fests.

Gore fests are awesome though.

Horror Films These Days

Member of the YuYu Hakusho club, anime club, dbz club, Elder Scrolls Oblivion faction, and the Weird Al club

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 13:43:37

I don't think it qualifys as a horror..more as a thriller but The Descent was one of the best horror/thrillers ive seen in a looooonngg ass time. And its farely new, came out in late 06 im pretty sure.

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 13:45:51

Originality will live again.

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 13:47:49

I hate new horror movies.

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 13:49:39

At 12/28/06 03:20 AM, psycho-squirrel wrote: horror films were great back in the 70's and 80's and early 90's.

Yeah.Rmember Halloween,Nightmare on Elm Street,Poltergeist,Videodrome?Good ol' days

now with all these computer graphics it kinda is ruining the whole thing. horror films are ment to be organic, not electronic.

Argh,don't even mention it.Nowadays everything is computer FX.It's good for animation and in live movies,but most of them take a really fatal overdose on FX

also the stories now days are getting redundant.

Everything's done.No other explanation

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 14:02:28

saw was awesome 1st bad 2nd great 3rd point made

Grey power.

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 14:07:07

At 1/25/07 02:02 PM, Ceti wrote: saw was awesome 1st bad 2nd great 3rd point made

First SAW was bad????WTF???Did I read well???

BBS Signature

Response to Horror Films These Days 2007-01-25 14:29:32

At 1/25/07 01:43 PM, Wiri wrote: I don't think it qualifys as a horror..more as a thriller but The Descent was one of the best horror/thrillers ive seen in a looooonngg ass time. And its farely new, came out in late 06 im pretty sure.

I want to see the Descent so bad!

BBS Signature