00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dialusional just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth"

13,717 Views | 36 Replies

The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-13 00:26:32

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE AS IT SPOILS THE PLOT ENTIRELY...

Now that that's out of the way, I would like to say that I just saw Phone Booth and it was a great film. This story about a man named Stu who gets pinned down by an unseen sniper is great, and if you've seen the movie, maybe there's some deep meaning behind the plot, huh? Well, let's take a look...

I feel that the unseen sniper, played by Kiefer Sutherland represents a powerful omniscient force that could very well be God. I also feel that Colin Farrell, playing Stu, represents all of sinful mankind. If you've seen the movie, you would know that all the sniper actually does is force Stu to confess his unfaithfulness to his wife, friends and co-workers, however questionable his actions. I think that this accurately represents the Christian religion, with the unseen sniper (God) forcing mankind to confess his sins in order to be saved. I mean, in the end, Stu gets off scot-free, except for a little bit of bleeding, but that's besides the point. The point is, there's a deeper meaning behind the movie Phone Booth and that is the message of God saving mankind, however questionable his actions are... Maybe I'm just being overly analytical, but that's just what I think. Has anyone else seen the movie that can becak me up on this?

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-13 00:29:34

so basicaly they make it he answers phone and confesses?in an hour long movie?

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-13 00:33:45

At 4/13/03 12:29 AM, hellzguardian878 wrote: so basicaly they make it he answers phone and confesses?in an hour long movie?

Me and my goddamn typographical errors. I can't believe I spelled "back" B-E-C-A-K... Sigh... But in response to your question, yes. Except it's presented in a much more stylish and dramatic manner than the initial concept makes you think...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 00:28:07

So no one else thinks that Phone Booth might actually have some meaning behind it? I just dare you people to ask me what any character in the movie represents. I could probably turn it into something meaningful. =P

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 00:32:51

At 4/14/03 12:28 AM, biteme2514 wrote: So no one else thinks that Phone Booth might actually have some meaning behind it? I just dare you people to ask me what any character in the movie represents. I could probably turn it into something meaningful. =P

Phone Booth was okay, not great. And last time I checked God didn't kill innocent pizza guys.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 00:36:37

At 4/14/03 12:32 AM, GhostofChristmasPast wrote: Phone Booth was okay, not great. And last time I checked God didn't kill innocent pizza guys.

I believe that represents the greater good. The pizza guy represents all those who God has to get rid of in order to help the masses. The pizza guy was also turned away by Stu, who represents sinful mankind. I believe that the pizza guy is supposed to be all those that we turn away who must die in the end in order to save others. Like, when your mother passes away and you become religious because of it. It's just some bizarre theory I have. Oh well...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 00:37:40

Well, at least you've thought this out. Send a copy of your term paper on the subject to Joel Schumacher. He might give you money.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 00:38:57

At 4/14/03 12:37 AM, GhostofChristmasPast wrote: Well, at least you've thought this out. Send a copy of your term paper on the subject to Joel Schumacher. He might give you money.

Joel Schumacher only directed the film. Phone Booth was actually based on an idea Hitchcock had before he passed away... That's why there's so much hidden symbolism in it...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 12:58:14

i think you might be going a little too far with the christian perspective on it. It may have something to do with it, but i think more than anything it shows that everyone, even the most seemingly heartless people have some good in them...or maybe it's just one kickass movie and some of us are trying to find deep meaning where there isn't any.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 13:25:53

Joel Schumacher only directed the film. Phone Booth was actually based on an idea Hitchcock had before he passed away... That's why there's so much hidden symbolism in it...

NEVER let anyone else direct or make an idea that is alfred hitchcook's unless its alfred himself, all others just fail miserably!
ok if god is the sniper, then why does he run away and hope not to be found. doesnt he want us too see him or is he afraide of being shuned by the masses for what he has done?

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 13:30:33

At 4/14/03 12:28 AM, biteme2514 wrote: So no one else thinks that Phone Booth might actually have some meaning behind it? I just dare you people to ask me what any character in the movie represents. I could probably turn it into something meaningful. =P

I guess I'm doing this wrong. My method of rating a movie is based on the "bodies vs. boobies" scale. Guess I'll have to free my mind, and watch it again....lol

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 13:32:41

At 4/14/03 01:25 PM, DJcole wrote:
NEVER let anyone else direct or make an idea that is alfred hitchcook's unless its alfred himself, all others just fail miserably!
ok if god is the sniper, then why does he run away and hope not to be found. doesnt he want us too see him or is he afraide of being shuned by the masses for what he has done?

Yup, if we all new beyond a shadow of a doubt that god existed, then would we still have free will? We would all bow and praise him, blah blah blah.
So god kills our mom's to make us slaves? You are correct! God's not a nice person. I mean read the old testement! The Devil is like: I bet that you could make that guys life a living hell and he won't follow you. So god takes the bet, kills the guys friends, children, wife, takes his land, etc, etc. That doesn't seem like god is a nice person, does it.

god is dead. deal with it.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 13:34:49

I have heard the movie kicks ass.. does it though?

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 13:37:31

I appriacite you wrote that warning, otherwise I would be really pissed off right now.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 14:53:27

At 4/14/03 12:32 AM, GhostofChristmasPast wrote: And last time I checked God didn't kill innocent pizza guys.

I don't think the sniper was supposed to be god. I took it as the "voices inside" ie conscience. The pizza guy is just a redirect. People think they do things for one reason, but they really do it for another.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 19:01:23

At 4/14/03 01:25 PM, DJcole wrote: NEVER let anyone else direct or make an idea that is alfred hitchcook's unless its alfred himself, all others just fail miserably!

You got it.

God doesn't want to be found. He wants to work behind-the-scenes to influence people's lives. Last time I checked, God doesn't waltz onto the news and start listing off all the good things he's done for people. I'm trying to get at the fact that what God is doing is always for the greater good, however questionable his actions may seem to mankind.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 20:06:35

I might as well mention the rest of my theories on this topic. See, that Leon guy who tried to beat up Stu with a baseball bat represents Satan. That's right. Satan. I feel this is so because Leon is trying to pry Stu (sinful mankind) away from the phone, thereby cutting off his final connection with the sniper (who represents God). Stu tried to bargain his way out of getting his ass kicked by giving him $120 and that represents man trying to bargain his way out of going to hell. In the end, when Leon tried to beat up Stu, the sniper shot him, thereby protecting Stu and giving him one more chance to redeem himself.

Also, Stu's wife represents Love and Pam, who happens to be Stu's mistress, represents Lust. Don't ask about that one. Just take it into consideration.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 20:09:51

At 4/14/03 07:01 PM, biteme2514 wrote:
At 4/14/03 01:25 PM, DJcole wrote: ok if god is the sniper, then why does he run away and hope not to be found. doesnt he want us too see him or is he afraide of being shuned by the masses for what he has done?
God doesn't want to be found. He wants to work behind-the-scenes to influence people's lives. Last time I checked, God doesn't waltz onto the news and start listing off all the good things he's done for people. I'm trying to get at the fact that what God is doing is always for the greater good, however questionable his actions may seem to mankind.

Damn, dude. You've got a defense for everything it seems. Haven't seen the movie, but from what you're saying, I could almost agree with you. Have to see it to make a final decision, though.

As for those who interpret it differently or say he is going too far on this, you must understand this: When an artist, either of music, words, film, art, music, etc. manages to get their work published or displayed or whatever, they also release the right for others to interpret it as they see fit. There is no "right" way to look at it. Yes, the author can tell you what he/she meant it to mean, but that is not necessarily the only way of perceiving it.

That's not to say that there aren't any wrong ways of interpreting a work, though. For instance, if one were to read, oh, let's say "Pilgrim's Progress" and someone was to say "Hey, it's all one big allegory to the struggle of a Christian," and another were to say, "Nah. It's just about a guy that runs into all kinds of shit on the way to a place where he wants to go." Both would be right, it's just that one is thinking abstractly, the other literally. Now, if another were to say, "It's about a dog that has really bad gas," he/she would be wrong.

I hope I haven't wasted my time typing all this, and I sincerely hope that no one was bored beyond comprehension in reading this. If so, my sincerest apologies.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 20:17:49

Thanks for your comments, sparky64. I appreciate that someone actually took the time to respond to this. By the way, I'm not trying to force my views on others. I'm merely presenting an idea of what I think the movie is about. I was just wondering if anyone else had different ideas on the subject and whether or not they could shoot me down with something that I overlooked. By the way, when you see the movie, get back to me on this thread. I want to see if you agree with me or not...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 20:42:04

At 4/14/03 08:17 PM, biteme2514 wrote: Thanks for your comments, sparky64. I appreciate that someone actually took the time to respond to this.

No prob. It's nice to see a few other intellectual people that think on the "iceberg principle".

By the way, I'm not trying to force my views on others. I'm merely presenting an idea of what I think the movie is about.

I know, I know. I was just trying to get a point across to everyone, stating that everyone is entitled to their own interpretation, as long as it is justifiable.

:I was just wondering if anyone else had different ideas on the subject and whether or not they could shoot me down with something that I overlooked.

Doesn't look like they're doing too well in that area. You've justified all your explanations.

By the way, when you see the movie, get back to me on this thread. I want to see if you agree with me or not...

Well, me being the typical tight-ass that I am, I was going to wait till it came out on DVD and rent it, but since you've brought this to my attention, I might have to go make a day out of this and blow $4.50 on the afternoon show (too poor to afford the $7 evening one), just to see what all the hullabaloo is about.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 21:03:23

At 4/14/03 08:42 PM, sparky64 wrote: Well, me being the typical tight-ass that I am, I was going to wait till it came out on DVD and rent it, but since you've brought this to my attention, I might have to go make a day out of this and blow $4.50 on the afternoon show (too poor to afford the $7 evening one), just to see what all the hullabaloo is about.

That's good because if I have to wait for the DVD to come out before I get a response from you, this thread will have probably been long forgotten...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 21:22:08

At 4/14/03 09:03 PM, biteme2514 wrote:
That's good because if I have to wait for the DVD to come out before I get a response from you, this thread will have probably been long forgotten...

Will it survive till Friday? We're out of school (Good Friday) and I'll probably check it out then.

Or are you that patient?

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-14 21:25:27

At 4/14/03 09:22 PM, sparky64 wrote: Or are you that patient?

That works for me. Just don't forget to revive this sucker. We'll have a nice long discussion about it. By the way, I hope I didn't ruin the movie for you. I don't want to fill your head with analytical diatribes and keep you from enjoying the movie. Get back to me when you can. =P

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-18 23:43:12

Well...finally saw the movie. And...well I damn near cried when Stu started confessing to his wife and Pam and the others. It truly touched my heart.

But enough with my emotions. I really liked the flick, to tell you the truth, so much that I almost forgot why I decided to see it in the first place. But I paid attention, and this is what I got out of it:

Stu was used to represent the whole of mankind, as he commits each of the Seven Deadly Sins, all in one form or another, as follows:

PRIDE, or vanity, is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. Stu imbues himself with a "false importance", donning expensive Italian suits and the like. But his importance only runs as deep as his clothes in reality. This is shown when he tries to bargain his way out of death with the sniper.

ENVY is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. Stu's pride is perhaps an effect of his envy of those above him, which is seen in his desire to dress like them, etc.

GLUTTONY is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. Stu loved attention. He fed off of it like candy. I took this as a form of gluttony.

LUST is kind of self-explanatory, and quite obvious in the movie as well: Stu's affair with Pam.

ANGER is also self-explanatory, and also very obvious. Stu expressed it towards the pizza guy, the sniper, and others.

GREED is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. Stu was so wrapped up in his job, trying to make his cut, that he made no time to reflect on what he was actually doing.

SLOTH is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.
Stu left it to Adam, his assistant, to do all the hard work, while he hands out lies and misconceptions. On the spiritual level, he apparently makes no effort until his encounter with the sniper.

Whew...ok. And that was just Stu. I can almost safely say that everyone has committed at least one of these sins on one occasion or another.

As for the others, they represented some aspect that either help, hinder, or otherwise affect mankind and it's decisions.

Phone = Last connection to God
The Sniper = God
Pizza Guy = Denial of God
Pizza = Life
Destroyed Robot = Warning from God????
Hookers = Distractions
Leon = Satan
Wife = Love
Pam = Lust

The plot begins to thicken when the pizza guy arrives. He offers Stu the pizza (the bread of life, or eternal life) which Stu refuses. This is when the sniper(God) calls and gives Stu a warning (destroys the robot) which with Stu begins to take seriously. Like God, the sniper sees all, knows all, and chooses to take action in secrecy. After the warning, Stu is distracted by the hookers, and they cloud his judgement. Then Leon (Satan) appears and tries to get Stu to hang up the phone. In doing so, he would destroy his last chance, and end up dying, on a literal note but it is his salvation that dies on a metaphorical note. The sniper strikes down Satan in Stu's weakness, giving him one more chance.

I'd go into more, but I'm probably over the post limit already. Besides, I pretty much agree with what biteme2514 has said about the rest of it.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-18 23:50:46

At 4/18/03 11:43 PM, sparky64 wrote: I'd go into more, but I'm probably over the post limit already. Besides, I pretty much agree with what biteme2514 has said about the rest of it.

Thanks for remembering. =P

By the way, you have offered me some valuable insight as to the whole thing about the 7 Deadly Sins. I completely missed that, so I really appreciate all that you had to offer there. I agree with all the points that you made there and I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie as much as I did.

By the way, I found the part where he confesses quite emotional too. Hehehe...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-18 23:52:17

yeah, you can accept it anyway you want it to, i think its more of not being in control.

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-19 00:16:49

At 4/18/03 11:50 PM, biteme2514 wrote:
At 4/18/03 11:43 PM, sparky64 wrote: I'd go into more, but I'm probably over the post limit already. Besides, I pretty much agree with what biteme2514 has said about the rest of it.
Thanks for remembering. =P

No problem.

By the way, you have offered me some valuable insight as to the whole thing about the 7 Deadly Sins. I completely missed that, so I really appreciate all that you had to offer there. I agree with all the points that you made there and I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie as much as I did.

It was worth the $7, 3.5 gallons of gas, and 3 hours of my life, to say the least.

By the way, I found the part where he confesses quite emotional too. Hehehe...

First time I even came close to crying in a movies...the only exceptions are with "8 Seconds"...but I was 8 at the time, so I guess it would be understandable then...and "A Walk to Remember". That has to be the best chick flick ever...it actually had substance to it, and I think I might have even wiped a tear away...but my girlfriend was there, so that kind of added to the emotion I guess...and I'm rambling again...

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-19 00:19:58

At 4/19/03 12:16 AM, sparky64 wrote: "A Walk to Remember". That has to be the best chick flick ever...it actually had substance to it, and I think I might have even wiped a tear away...but my girlfriend was there, so that kind of added to the emotion I guess...and I'm rambling again...

Hehehe, no problem. I've never actually seen that movie all the way through but I'm familiar with the storyline. Hey, why don't you start a thread analyzing everything about that movie? We seem to be pretty good at this religious symbolism stuff... =P

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-20 03:45:03

Sure you could. That's called literary analysis. I used to do it all the time in English lit classes... ahhhh yes... multiple interpretations of a text or film based on any number of ways of analysing it.... psychological, sexual, deconstructionist, Marxist, feminist, historical.... and of course, there's the religious method, which you have so nicely employed.

I haven't seen the film myself, I've relied upon spoilers to learn the plot (didn't want to waste the time or money on it), and it sounds like a pretty good framework you've set up. Eh.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to The Meaning Behind "Phone Booth" 2003-04-20 04:19:54

maybe, someone just thought of a sniper in the city and how some people have lost touch with reality with al the technology and instant communication.

you don't know if i'm joking or not