00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Legalization of pot

2,959 Views | 57 Replies

Legalization of pot 2003-04-10 22:34:50

The Canadian Senate has issued a recommandation to the Canadian Governement which states that the use of pot should be legalized for anybody whose age is over 18. Pot was already legal in Canada for medicinal use, but it will be available for just anybody and the governement will be in charge of the program if the law is adopted. The Canadian senate has also said that it should not be used for narco-tourism. What is your position the question ?

Legalization of pot

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-10 22:39:06

it's a recommendation...however the US will stay on its path towards prohibition of marijuana

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-10 23:47:15

Go Canada! I have no idea why the U.S. government doesn't just go ahead a legalize it. It is so much less harmful than tobacco, and if it was taxed to the point that tobacco is at now, it would definately help the government out of its fiscal crisis.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-10 23:48:58

This question has been done many times on this forum.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-10 23:50:13

It would also give tobacco farmers a replacement crop. Plus, as stated, it would rake in outrageous revenues if controlled like cigs. Put it in the same category as alcohol---can get busted for being high and driving, etc. Have to be stiff with the carding for it....at least at first.;-)

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 00:28:47

At 4/10/03 10:34 PM, Shangui wrote: The Canadian senate has also said that it should not be used for narco-tourism.

Does this mean that only Canadian citizens would be allowed to purchase weed? That would suck...

Other than that, though, I would like to see Canada go through with legalization. And then I would like to see the US follow their lead. Unfortunately, the day that marijuana is legalized in the US is probably the day that the Rapture occurs.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 00:40:24

i think the US should have it legalised too.

in reply to any BS terrorism arguement that might be made by people - drug money wouldn't be funding terrorism in the legal market where money is traced. and cartels would have something to lose by killing people who get in their way. as of right now they don't as if they're caught they're going away for life anyway and the death penalty is pretty rare.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 06:42:38

How many topics about this are already made?
Post there!

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 09:49:24

At 4/10/03 10:34 PM, Shangui wrote: The Canadian senate has also said that it should not be used for narco-tourism.

Fine, but what about narco-immigration? That would definately make it a destination of choice for socially adept liberal US citizens !!

"Canadian Canabis" ..has a nice ring to it!

Legalization of pot

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 10:55:03

At 4/10/03 11:48 PM, Commander-K25 wrote: This question has been done many times on this forum.

Yes, but I think it can be taken a bit further this time. The difference is in the Canadian recommendation.

Any information on the narco-tourism issue? I know some people that are 19 or 20 years old that live near the border like to take a drive and have a drink. Others may want to try it with this as well, but what would the laws about this be?

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 12:35:19

Legalize it! And anyway, y can we smoke tobacco thats more dangerous for the health than weed, and we cannot for pot? This is just stupid!

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 16:43:25

Yes, but I think it can be taken a bit further this time. The difference is in the Canadian recommendation.

Any information on the narco-tourism issue? I know some people that are 19 or 20 years old that live near the border like to take a drive and have a drink. Others may want to try it with this as well, but what would the laws about this be?

You will have to have canadian IDs to purchase weed, which may affect immigration rather then tourism. It may also affect the smuggling rates. It may cause trouble in the U.S.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-11 17:55:53

I really should go to Canada sometime soon.

Much closer than Amsterdam or Jamaica, and a little safer, too.

I think this is a step in the right direction.
Why spend tax money prosecuting potheads and jailing them?

Why not make money taxing them and make Marijuana safer through regulation?

Go Canada! My favorite puppet-state!

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 11:29:51

I think within the next 20 years pot will be legal in the US. The government will then take control of its production and issue licenses, age limits and probably tax it more than tobacco and liquor.

Legalization of pot

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 13:39:53

At 4/23/03 11:29 AM, Nirvana13666 wrote: I think within the next 20 years pot will be legal in the US.

not going to happen, as long as conservatives are as strong as they are... (not bad mouthing conservatives but they are more likely to be against marijuania than the hippy libs are... )

The government will then take control of its production and issue licenses, age limits and probably tax it more than tobacco and liquor.

well duh... thats what the govt does, find something tax it spend the money...

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 14:14:20

The effects of Marijuana use, courtesy of the NIDA (National Institute for Drug Abuse):

Short Term-
problems with memory and learning;
distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch);
trouble with thinking and problem-solving;
loss of coordination; and
increased heart rate.

(Basically, this is the "high" most users seek, because let's face it, if you can't think straight, you can't think about too much bad shit happening, right?)

Long Term Usage:
Cancer-
Regular marijuana use causes cancer. It is known that marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke. Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per day may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.

Lungs and airways-
People who smoke marijuana often develop the same kinds of breathing problems that cigarette smokers have: coughing and wheezing. They tend to have more chest colds than nonusers. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia.

Immune system-
THC increases the risk of developing infections by inhibiting normal disease-preventing reactions.

Now, that being said, I am actually for the legalization of marijuana on many levels. I myself do not smoke weed, but I believe it should be legalized for other reasons.

People are going to smoke it anyway. As far as drug users are concerned, marijuana users are relatively harmless, and the addiction one suffers from marijuana use is almost exclusively psychological.

Legalizing it would reduce the strain put on prisons, and bureaucratic police forces everywhere.

The government could actually put a tax on the stuff, and make more money.

Yes, marijuana is what people consider a "gateway" drug, but most pot users don't move on to bigger, better drugs. They just buy better weed.

So, I hope this post was informative, and I have shown some people all the facts.

Thank You.

Word, ver. 2.5

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 14:31:07

At 4/10/03 11:48 PM, Commander-K25 wrote: This question has been done many times on this forum.

Would I be lazy if I said look up all my previous responces to legalization?

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 14:45:29

No, not at all. I do that sometimes. I just look smarter, though if I re-post it. :P

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 14:49:37

Well, I guess I am lazy.

Why don't YOU dig through my posts and find one of my many posts on legalization?

Here's something to chew on:

Man made beer.
God made pot.
Who do you trust?

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 16:09:58

At 4/23/03 02:49 PM, TheShrike wrote: Well, I guess I am lazy.

Why don't YOU dig through my posts and find one of my many posts on legalization?

I dug through all of your 22 pages of postery, and I only found 1 (one, uno, single) weed-legalization-oriented topic, in which you mentioned that DuPont was a big player in the marijuana scene, because of the usefulness of hemp. I think some of yours were deleted or something. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 16:29:43

wow
really? just one?

I guess I'm lazier than I thought.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 19:39:16

I live in Michigan, and all my nonPC friends are potheads, so I'm very curious, because I know some of them would move on the legalization basis.

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 21:39:15

At 4/23/03 02:14 PM, PreacherJ wrote: The effects of Marijuana use, courtesy of the NIDA (National Institute for Drug Abuse):

Long Term Usage:
Cancer-
Regular marijuana use causes cancer. It is known that marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke. Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per day may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.

FIVE JOINTS A DAY!!!! WHO SMOKES FIVE JOINTS A DAY????????? I smoked more pot than anyone I had ever met on a daily basis (by myself mind you) and I NEVER EVER smoked more than THREE joints a day. Ive since quit (legal troubles...it wasnt worth it any more) but this info makes me want to start again.....

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 22:08:02

At 4/23/03 02:14 PM, PreacherJ wrote:
Long Term Usage: Cancer

Lungs and airways-
People who smoke marijuana often develop the same kinds of breathing problems that cigarette smokers have: coughing and wheezing. They tend to have more chest colds than nonusers. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia.

I myself do not smoke weed, but I believe it should be legalized for other reasons. People are going to smoke it anyway.

..So, I hope this post was informative, and I have shown some people all the facts.
------------------------------------------------------

you should STOP re-posting that when some of us have already pointed out that "baking chocolate brownies" doesn't cause lung cancer! ..where's your agrument then??

..plz don't keep twisting ALL THE FACTS!

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-23 23:51:18

At 4/10/03 11:47 PM, OpIvy420 wrote: Go Canada! I have no idea why the U.S. government doesn't just go ahead a legalize it. It is so much less harmful than tobacco, and if it was taxed to the point that tobacco is at now, it would definately help the government out of its fiscal crisis.

Actually, pot is just as harmful as tobacco. I mean, one joint produces as much tar as 4 cigarettes. Dude, if pot was legalized, we'd pretty much be kinda fucked because people would not be responsible about it, like drivin while stoned and other shit like that.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-24 01:53:33

At 4/23/03 09:39 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
FIVE JOINTS A DAY!!!! WHO SMOKES FIVE JOINTS A DAY????????? I smoked more pot than anyone I had ever met on a daily basis (by myself mind you) and I NEVER EVER smoked more than THREE joints a day. Ive since quit (legal troubles...it wasnt worth it any more) but this info makes me want to start again.....

The point of this was to state that weed smoke is more harmful than tobacco smoke, ie: 5 joints=1 pack of cigarettes. Besides, I know plenty of folks who smoke more than 5 joints a day. Bongloads count against this total, too, Funk. :P

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-24 01:58:40

At 4/23/03 10:08 PM, Judge_DREDD wrote:
you should STOP re-posting that when some of us have already pointed out that "baking chocolate brownies" doesn't cause lung cancer! ..where's your agrument then??

..plz don't keep twisting ALL THE FACTS!

I'm not twisting anything, jackass. Go to the NIDA website and read for yourself. As for baking brownies, how many people do you know who use weed that way? Even if everyone you know has done it, it seems unlikely that they would make brownies EVERY time that they had some. Most users buy a dime or a twomp sack at a time, and that my friend, makes for a very small brownie that you can't share with your friends. So please, stop bitching about me twisting facts, and learn some yourself. Where's your argument?

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-24 02:13:41

I commonly see people argue for the legalization of marijuana on the basis that it "is not as bad for you as tobacco". That's all well and good, but I think another good place to argue this from is the standpoint of Marijuana Vs. Alchohol instead of Marijuana Vs. Tobacco.

It is clear that Marijuana is no worse for you than alchohol. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's alot better for you than alchohol. When is the last time you knew someone who lost their family because they smoked weed too much?- ok, now compare that to alchoholics. What type of people are more prone to violence- drunks or potheads? Do you know anyone who ever lived in fear of their father staggering in stoned and hitting them? No.
It is conter-intuitive to keep alchohol legal, and keep pot illegal. So what are the other options?
Make Alchohol Illegal, or Make Pot Legal... prohibition already has been tried and failed, leaving us with only one option.

It's good to see Canada take the step to legalize it. It makes me confident that we will see the US legalize it in future as well (even if it is far off).

**sigh** thinks about all the money that could be saved from not fighting this war on drugs bullshit .

One question though- how are they going to prevent narco-tourism? Right now there is a huge narco-tourism business at the Canadian border, where US college kids over the age of 19 go to drink.

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-24 02:14:56

Hey Shangui- can I see a link to a source for the article you got this from also?

Response to Legalization of pot 2003-04-24 02:15:42

i think it was theshrike that said it best...

marijuania was made by god
beer was made by man

who do u trust???