Respond to this Topic
Ninja1869
Ninja1869
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 2nd, 2003 @ 07:52 PM Reply

Hey cool! Tom, doncha have the ability to just change your level so you're Maxxed out?

mmark-oldflash
mmark-oldflash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 2nd, 2003 @ 08:00 PM Reply

At 4/2/03 07:20 PM, Deleted wrote: This will be good for newgrounds... I guess, but realy? Why does newgrounds need this tom?

So you can avoid lawsuits from record companies and so Flash authors can become more original. Also, it allows talented musicians to display their talents on NG.

Deleted
Deleted
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 2nd, 2003 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 4/2/03 08:00 PM, Ryoma wrote:
At 4/2/03 07:20 PM, Deleted wrote: This will be good for newgrounds... I guess, but realy? Why does newgrounds need this tom?
So you can avoid lawsuits from record companies and so Flash authors can become more original. Also, it allows talented musicians to display their talents on NG.

I'm sorry, did i ask you?? :-P j/p. Hmm i see now i didnt realy know why he made it in the first place until now.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 2nd, 2003 @ 08:58 PM Reply

It's very nice the Audio Portal is getting used a hell of a lot more Tom. -Steve

TheMasterOfSprites
TheMasterOfSprites
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 2nd, 2003 @ 09:28 PM Reply

yeah for adio portal. aaaaaa zombies all of my soldiers retreat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pulse7587
pulse7587
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 12:01 AM Reply

:At 4/2/03 10:37 AM, TomFulp wrote:

It has already begun on our end, and it is a huuuuge looming threat to the future of Newgrounds. They don't come after the artists - they come after us for hosting the material.

-Tom

I don't know a lot about this, but you used loops from the track "Ultrasonic Sound" by "Hive" and they don't seem to care much. Maybe, just maybe it'd be ok so upload small bits like that, they must be very busy already suing these iMeshes and Kazaas, which enables you to get their full songs free of charge and them put them all in a CD with no problem.

the-phantom-spancker
the-phantom-spancker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 01:09 AM Reply

Couldnet you just put a link to all the audio credits together so it brings up a page with them on profile,site and the sound usered that would save cluttering up the movies page with loadsa names...

djchrispy
djchrispy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:01 AM Reply

dammit will someone explain this to me...a person submits a movie to this site with a big-name song in it...how can any company do anything about it?? i mean, i know the government system is fucked and artists are all sellouts these days, but you cant download a song straight off of a movie...your not making a profit off of the movie...thats like...wrong man...and we have to what, use songs from the audio portal?! some songs on there are alright, and the system set up for the audio portal is great, and before writing this i decided to give it a chance and check out a random handful of songs, and fron what ive seen, these are OK songs to maybe dl and listen to, or maybe for a loop or something for whatever reason, but most of it is just not good songs for movies..and your saying now your going to try to only showcase movies with songs from the audio portal? that sucks!!! frickin' bigtime record companies, blow me!!!

Audio Portal Credit System

the-phantom-spancker
the-phantom-spancker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 07:04 AM Reply

These sounds are all made by users
Edn!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 07:16 AM Reply

At 4/3/03 04:01 AM, djchrispy wrote: dammit will someone explain this to me...a person submits a movie to this site with a big-name song in it...how can any company do anything about it??

The musicians and the record companies don't have to do anything. They have representation. The three big representation companies are as follows:

1. ASCAP
2. BMI
3. SESAC

These companies relentlessly persue ANYONE who uses commercial audio. They even demand royalties from places like stores that use music without permission. This is why most stores you go to have compilation CDs, where they buy a CD full of music they can use, and they just cycle that day-to-day.

We are already receiving demands for royalties and licensing fees. Newgrounds is a grey area right now because they are treating us like streaming radio, but we aren't... We are something different. This puts us in a strange place, but rest assured, when they are done with streaming radio stations, the court order will be delivered to our door next. Newgrounds will eventually have to come up with a plan for paying royalties (something which is putting most streaming music sites out of business), or remove all of the content that uses commercial music.

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Bomb-Clock
Bomb-Clock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:12 AM Reply

those poor bastards! they get fame, fortune, fast cars, several huge homes and a lifetime of not having to worry about having to go to work to get a pay check just enough to pay the bills. crap like this makes me wish for a sudden neo communist revolt to trample over their dream lives and take everything they have.

yetieater
yetieater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:51 AM Reply

Yipeedido! More improvements to Newgrounds =)

you didn't see nothing, capisce?

pulse7587
pulse7587
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 09:22 AM Reply

At 4/3/03 07:16 AM, TomFulp wrote:
1. ASCAP
2. BMI
3. SESAC

These companies relentlessly persue ANYONE who uses commercial audio. They even demand royalties from places like stores that use music without permission. This is why most stores you go to have compilation CDs, where they buy a CD full of music they can use, and they just cycle that day-to-day.

:Newgrounds will eventually have to come up with a plan for paying royalties (something which is putting most streaming music sites out of business), or remove all of the content that uses commercial music.

-Tom

Did they sue you because of that loops in Pico? C'mon Tom, these guys put free downloadable bits of their music as demos in the internet. It's like... hmmm... Newsweek suing me because I used their paper in my parrot's perch lol.

Vorechan
Vorechan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 10:10 AM Reply

I like the idea, Tom. I want sound fx back at the audio portal though! One of the sounds I use most comes from there! I got the best punch sound EVER from there! Kthxbai.

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 10:48 AM Reply

The three big representation companies are as follows: 1, ASCAP 2, BMI 3, SESAC

thanks for the info Tom.

They even demand royalties from places like stores that use music without permission.

..prolly all spent on law-suits!

Newgrounds is a grey area right now.. we are something different.

don't pay == get more famous ;) ..that's how NG got started!

I wish that those "representative organizations" would realize that there are gonna be limited number of recordable sound mixes (this is not some rush for free land - copyright everything fast, first, and get rich) Already many media presentations lean heavily on each others design, and music is no different - Everyday i hear reminiscent cloning.

The more small digital media companies spring up pumping out a slightly modified base beat to a known track, then the courts will finally realize the obvious - that digital medium (just like the human genome project or medicine research) is not something that you can copyright, and then lean on every new variation based on a known design by some impossibly complex formula in a global context.

btw, skillz again {{liljim}}

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 11:35 AM Reply

At 4/3/03 04:01 AM, djchrispy wrote: dammit will someone explain this to me...a person submits a movie to this site with a big-name song in it...how can any company do anything about it??
The musicians and the record companies don't have to do anything. They have representation. The three big representation companies are as follows:

1. ASCAP
2. BMI
3. SESAC

Yeah. Those bastards. Specially BMI.

Small enough stores escape notice, though. Problem is, NG is by no means a "small enough site" to do similarly.

We are already receiving demands for royalties and licensing fees. Newgrounds is a grey area right now because they are treating us like streaming radio, but we aren't... We are something different. This puts us in a strange place, but rest assured, when they are done with streaming radio stations, the court order will be delivered to our door next. Newgrounds will eventually have to come up with a plan for paying royalties (something which is putting most streaming music sites out of business), or remove all of the content that uses commercial music.

I vote for the latter. Anyone who used commercial music in their flash can redo it with original music or music in the public domain or no music at all, and we'll still have the FLASH itself, at least. The first option is too insane to contemplate unless you win the lottery, Tom. #;-}>

But, with all that said, what about Fair Use? If a flash can be said to be a parody, there's nothing wrong with a little fair use. That might not cover a loop of the entire song, I suppose. But if people only use snippets of songs, it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 11:56 AM Reply

It would be nice for the muscicians on the audio portal to be able to search for submissions that use their music.

I haven't found one thats used mine.

djchrispy
djchrispy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 12:32 PM Reply

you know what i think they need to do, is find every single person who is listening to a song right now that was not made by themselves and sue the bejeesus out of them! *sarcasm* *grumble grumble* Tom...I know how hard it must be to have all these big bad music companies and whatnot after you...but something...i dont know what, has to be done about this. Are you telling me that all of us animators from now on are pretty much going to have to A: go back and re-do all the songs in all of our movies, and B: use songs that are either like underground, non-big media, or use songs from the audio portal?

newgrounds is "riddled" per se with hundreds apon thousands of big commercial songs...and its not like these bastard thick headed media tycoons are gonna listen when you tell them that there is no possible way to tell everyone on the site to change the music in their songs >_<.. As long as the portal is automated, flashes with commercial songs will always be submitted. I mean fuck, im not sure how much money you make off of this site per month/week off of advertising alone, but considering as how the banner over the portal says "advertise in this space for as little as 20$" it cant be that much, and were not talking about a fine, were talking royalties!! does that mean eminem is going to personally go through every movie on this site, and sue you for every movie he finds with a song he sung (and...maybe...wrote. lol)

theres not a whole lot a little voice like mine can do exept bitch about it and it sucks...i come on now!!!newgrounds is a somewhat small company, sure, lots of people come to this site, but its just like fuck off! Do they really need that extra tiny little bit of cash?! how the hell do these bastards sleep at night...gah..too much to think about...tom, i bid you good luck in your quest to slay these media demons. newgrounds has always prided itself on the ability to slip through most cracks when it comes to royalties and infringment and whatnot. Now these big bad bastards want to sue you for more than you probably make already...god dammit...this is the problem with america.

chrispys thought? The pen is mightier than the sword, as the saying goes. The power of suggestion cannot be ignored, WHEN ITS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR NOSE.

(hey that rhymes)

oh yeah and btw...maybe this is a longshot, but doesnt tom kind of look like spike? ^.^

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 02:28 PM Reply

I noticed that the file size limit has been increased from 500K to 2 megs. Would it be possible for me to re sumbit my old submissions in better quality to thus take advantage of the larger file size limit?

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 03:03 PM Reply

implodinggoat - patience. Everything you have mentioned so far is already in development.

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 03:12 PM Reply

Ahhh excellent....I'm in no rush, but its nice to know that such things are being worked on.

y13gregace
y13gregace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 03:43 PM Reply

that was dumb

Logajam
Logajam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:05 PM Reply

I wondered if we after making so many movies may get a section or link to our page from newgrounds?

That is, I am curently looking into making some high res. avi/flash mx movies for newgrounds but think it would work bettor if they downloaded off one of my many web sights as well as from here.

Yes, this will put a new spin on how big is a big movie.

lol is it so wrong if I make it last 10-30 minets.

Well if you have any Ideas on how I might do this I welcom them.

djchrispy
djchrispy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:57 PM Reply

logo, i suggest breaking your movie apart into chapters/episodes/whatever you want to call them. if its a high res movie, and its over 10-30 minutes long, the filesize would be huge. i dont know how well you organised your movie, but i suggest breaking it up. then, you get to read more reviews/have more than one score/ continue to submit while keeping the series alive. or you could script the movie so it links to another site and plays it, but everyone hates movies that take forever to download >.<

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 06:49 PM Reply

What the fuck? What in God's name is going on here? All my fucking Audio submissions were deleted why? I demand to know!

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 07:41 PM Reply

I'm talking about the music I uploaded that had about 150-250 downloads a piece and had a score averaging over 4 out of 5.

gohangoku78
gohangoku78
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:56 PM Reply

i think we should send rm to this site it would be cooler and that should get more people

slappknuts
slappknuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 09:25 PM Reply

hey... I know what you mean... Goto my site... It has lil movies which take up lots of room...
MY SITE I DEDICATE TO NEW GROUNDS!!!

froggystomper
froggystomper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 10:21 PM Reply

i think that the audio portal is kewl i found some audio clips that i think would go good with my flash movies.. lol assuming any of them meet the threshold therory...

Cardinal-Syn
Cardinal-Syn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Credit System Apr. 3rd, 2003 @ 10:30 PM Reply

nice nice